Nederland ‘Smash Room’

BMTSoulja1

1 minute ago, Derf Nosneb said:

Didn't realize I needed to be "allowed" by you or anyone else to voice an opinion on an open forum. But if it makes you feel important, whatever...

What you was supposed to take from that comment was to keep the political stuff in the political forum.  Nothing more, nothing less…

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Since I don’t have a smidgeon off a clue, is destroying property with a baseball bat good therapy for people who are experiencing anger?

We’ve had students with anger issues who had an area where they were allowed to rip and tear paper, and it helped redirect and lessen their anger that was originally focused on other students or teachers.  So I can see some value in this sort of thing.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

We’ve had students with anger issues who had an area where they were allowed to rip and tear paper, and it helped redirect and lessen their anger that was originally focused on other students or teachers.  So I can see some value in this sort of thing.  

To some extent I understand. Tearing paper, popping balloons, etc.

I am more wondering about smashing computer monitors with a baseball bat. What happens when they don’t have the smash room to go to?

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

To some extent I understand. Tearing paper, popping balloons, etc.

I am more wondering about smashing computer monitors with a baseball bat. What happens when they don’t have the smash room to go to?

Not sure.  I guess the same thing that happened before they had the smash room to go to? 

The woman had a daughter who committed suicide. I’m sorry for her. That’s a terrible thing to have to deal with, but I’ll go out on a limb and say most people who commit suicide come out of left field. They didn’t show signs of depression, which is difficult to see anyway, but they certainly don’t have anger issues. I wonder how this helps them.

I don’t have devastating struggles like this and I thank the Lord I haven’t experienced a loss like this so I tend to not give opinions on something so sensitive that I know nothing about. However, it could be that just having an outlet to open up could be more helpful than the actual smash. It could also be beneficial to the mom that actually experienced the loss who created the room.

BTW - even though I don’t have struggles like this, I could enjoy smashing some crap up.

Maybe we have a psychiatrist or psychologist on board.

Would smashing stuff prevent suicide?  I have known several people that have committed suicide but no close family members. I have seen probably more than 100 as a police officer.  For many of them, i think I know the underlying issues. A few lived alone and could have screamed, smashed or destroyed anything out of anger. I don’t think smashing their cell phone would have stopped their final actions.

I have no issue with this woman’s actions. If nothing else it is helping her with her own issues. Good for her.

Maybe it just seems as the article and/or other woman have made this a suicide prevention. I have my doubts of that attempt. 

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Maybe we have a psychiatrist or psychologist on board.

Would smashing stuff prevent suicide?  I have known several people that have committed suicide but no close family members. I have seen probably more than 100 as a police officer.  For many of them, i think I know the underlying issues. A few lived alone and could have screamed, smashed or destroyed anything out of anger. I don’t think smashing their cell phone would have stopped their final actions.

I have no issue with this woman’s actions. If nothing else it is helping her with her own issues. Good for her.

Maybe it just seems as the article and/or other woman have made this a suicide prevention. I have my doubts of that attempt. 

Wow, is that a shot at me? Maybe if this subject is too sensitive for people to comment, or they will be called know-it-alls for trying, maybe this stuff shouldn’t be posted. From my experience, and I knew a couple, suicides were committed by total surprises.,,,,,outgoing, always smiling, always spoke to you,…..then simply killed themselves. I don’t see how busting a computer would solve that since they were not reaching out for help anyway.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Wow, is that a shot at me? Maybe if this subject is too sensitive for people to comment, or they will be called know-it-alls for trying, maybe this stuff shouldn’t be posted. From my experience, and I knew a couple, suicides were committed by total surprises.,,,,,outgoing, always smiling, always spoke to you,…..then simply killed themselves. I don’t see how busting a computer would solve that since they were not reaching out for help anyway.

A shot at you how? If you think is in anyway had anything to do with you, you’re using way too much thought process. I quoted  no one and was thinking of no one when I made my statement.

I was only pondering the thought of, would smashing something prevent a suicide?  You finished your statement by saying almost exactly the same thing.