Hurricanes

stevenash

Looks like there's not even gonna be a power loss where I'm at, although most the red lights weren't working this morning. About to drive around and see what some places look like.

It really was crazy to watch and see how close this storm came to us, but ended up doing very little. Just a little to the west and we'd be Lake Charles this morning.

4 hours ago, NetCat said:

Roll call, who's still ok? 

Okay here in The Dale, except, the whole place is in blackout.   We have Jasper-Newton Co-Op Electric.   Probably all the repair folks in Newton since they got the worst of it.

From Entergy:

We have started periodic power outages for customers in Texas at the request of @MISO_energy as a last resort to prevent a more extensive, prolonged power outage that could severely affect the reliability of the power grid. There are no ETRs at this time.

This is the hidden content, please

They gave fair warning a few hours before this notice. 

4 minutes ago, baddog said:

Thank you. I am sure I am not the only one who faced these feelings. 

You are not. I stayed back with my son to take care of business. When it started to strengthen and began looking ominous for our area, I prayed that I had not put his life in danger. Thankfully, we came out just fine. 

9 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

You are not. I stayed back with my son to take care of business. When it started to strengthen and began looking ominous for our area, I prayed that I had not put his life in danger. Thankfully, we came out just fine. 

I really didn’t evacuate. I went to Beaumont to stay with my son  because he has a Generac. I was sure we would survive a Cat 2. Cat 4, I started to worry really bad. Glad things worked out for you and your son. 

19 hours ago, Hagar said:

Okay here in The Dale, except, the whole place is in blackout.   We have Jasper-Newton Co-Op Electric.   Probably all the repair folks in Newton since they got the worst of it.

13 hours ago, baddog said:

I’m ok. Direct hit would have obliterated my double wide. Counting my blessings right now. Was preparing to lose everything. 

12 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Glad everyone's fine, we all got lucky that it turned. 

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

My house is 100% the way we left it. Just trees and fence. Prayers answered. 

14 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Just heard the electricity is back on at my house.  I’m at a Hotel in Kingwood.  Didn’t evacuate for the Hurricane, but I did for the heat, water, and being able to shower & flush the toilet.  😄😄😄

Good news! 

My wife has read on Facebook about people complaining about the electrical crews having it so easy...... free lodging, free food, free gasoline, making overtime..... yada, yada, yada... Man, these guys are working their buts off, maybe pulling double shifts, and doing the job right. If they rush things, they could screw It up big time. I wave every time I see them. Energy is footing the bill for all of this help. It can’t be done any other way. I appreciate the heck out of all of them. 
After Rita, had  a crew in the field behind my house. Struck up a conversation with an older guy and he had come all the way from Pennsylvania to make money for his family. Real nice guy. The wife went and bought them donuts. They thanked us very much. 
There are a lot of unappreciative people in this world. I hope they are the last to get service. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

My wife has read on Facebook about people complaining

Fakebook complaining? What a joke. Let's see if they wanna go complain to these workers when they work in their neighborhood.

I was in a restaurant after Ike when about 15 out of state workers came in to eat. All of us locals pitched money in a hat to pay for their meals. When we took it to the manager he was very suprised and refused to take it. Said it would be on the house. So we gave to them personally anyway. They had never experienced any act of kindness like that in other areas they helped before.

Texans know how to take care of the help when we can't do it ourselves. Prayers for all these hard working people to stay safe while repairing the storm damage. And on the road returning home to their families.

9 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Fakebook complaining? What a joke. Let's see if they wanna go complain to these workers when they work in their neighborhood.

I was in a restaurant after Ike when about 15 out of state workers came in to eat. All of us locals pitched money in a hat, and paid for their meals. When we took it to the manager he was very suprised and refused to take it. Said it would be on the house. So we gave to them personally anyway. They had never experienced any act of kindness like that in other areas they helped before.

Texans know how to take care of the help when we can't do it ourselves. Prayers for all these hard working people to stay safe while repairing the storm damage. And on the road returning home to their families.

Amen amen amen

So, I haven’t really bitched about anything in a while, but I got a couple things to get off my chest. I decided to stay during the storm, as I stated before. Not for heroics, but to make sure our home, my workplace, and looters were all in check afterwards. Then the director of the NWS, I believe, comes on talking about an “unsurvivable storm surge” of epic proportions. He didn’t quantify his statement by saying “if you live on the beach”. They said it was unsurvivable and could reach as far as 30 miles inland. My wife calls me from where she and my daughters, sons in law, grandkids evacuated crying and pleading with me to leave. I explained to her we had little or no possibility of being overwhelmed by a storm surge. I was able to abate her concerns enough to stop her crying. Then my son, who stayed with me, came into to the living room where I was. I could tell something was bothering him. I nudged him about what was wrong and he said, “What they’re saying on TV, Dad. They say it’s unsurvivable. Why are we still here?” I told him the same thing I told his Mom about the storm surge and its inability to swallow up Lumberton. With tears in my eyes, I told him that his life was more important than anything on earth to me. I hugged him and told him to go to bed. It was about an hour before landfall. Thank God I didn’t lie to them. For us, all was well. But I’d like to hang that miserable clown from the weather service by his throat and explain to him what unsurvivable means. Worthless POS. 

That was Part 1 of my Hurricane rant. 

I want to thank God for keeping us safe. He alone decides what is and what is not survivable. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I want to thank God for keeping us safe. He alone decides what is and what is not survivable. 

My friend I completely agree with rant part 1. These people are in the business of saving lives, or so they say. But at what cost? Where does it end? The panic and hysteria got to me as well. I said somewhere that I underestimated this storm and we left. My nephew refused to go. So I gave him my generator, gas, propane, ice chest and food. All the supplies they would need to ride it out. The next morning we heard the same "unsurvivable" warnings. I've seen the damage from the winds of Rita, surge of Ike, and the rain of Harvey. Yet it took the entire family to convince him to leave. I'm glad he did, less stress of the unknown. But it was unnecessary. Only by the power of prayer and the grace of God, we were spared.

With all due respect, the last line seems too much. It's not just the wording you chose, although many may agree with you.

We can't stoop to the level of the devil. As Christian's we must rise above and depend on the messages we receive from him. The Lord works in mysterious ways. As I was typing my reply, I was shown a picture of a bed with a tree branch straight thru. If he wouldn't have made his mother evacuate, well you can imagine the rest.

11 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

My friend I completely agree with rant part 1. These people are in the business of saving lives, or so they say. But at what cost? Where does it end? The panic and hysteria got to me as well. I said somewhere that I underestimated this storm and we left. My nephew refused to go. So I gave him my generator, gas, propane, ice chest and food. All the supplies they would need to ride it out. The next morning we heard the same "unsurvivable" warnings. I've seen the damage from the winds of Rita, surge of Ike, and the rain of Harvey. Yet it took the entire family to convince him to leave. I'm glad he did, less stress of the unknown. But it was unnecessary. Only by the power of prayer and the grace of God, we were spared.

With all due respect, the last line seems too much. It's not just the wording you chose, although many may agree with you.

We can't stoop to the level of the devil. As Christian's we must rise above and depend on the messages we receive from him. The Lord works in mysterious ways. As I was typing my reply, I was shown a picture of a bed with a tree branch straight thru. If he wouldn't have made his mother evacuate, well you can imagine the rest.

That’s my point exactly. The fear mongering official should have contextually quantified his statement. Had we lived on the coast, you can bet your sweet arse, we would ALL have evacuated. I cut every tree within distance of my house down after Rita. Tornadoes were my only concern. I have no issues with anyone wanting to evacuate no matter where they live. I just don’t need scare tactics for me to see the truth. My high school aged son doesn’t have that maturity level yet, and my wife just knows her last child at home and husband are gonna die according to the weather geek. I can appreciate your stance. Maybe I went overboard with that statement...but tell me he didn’t do the same with his irresponsible lies.