Kountze Lion Basketball is Back!!

On 1/29/2020 at 4:22 PM, aTmfan06 said:

I believe Kountze’s starting 5 most games was

Sr. Kethian Hancock - Northwestern State 

SR. Richard Richards - PV A&M (could be wrong here). 

Sr. Brandon Trahan - don’t remember much about him

Sr. Decolby Myers - 6’2 and Probably best athlete on the team. Could jump almost from free throw line and dunk.

JR. Ashton Hall - Tulsa, Angelina JC, Lamar 

Bench was Basically state champs the next 2/3 years lol Jr. Phillip Coffey, Soph Adrian Lee, freshman cam powell, freshman Fred Boykin , freshman freddie Haynes and others I don’t remember. As well as Todd Sutherland as the Head Coach. 

like I said idk if Kountze would win but I believe they possibly could. Either way this was probably the best team Kountze would be able to put up against that Silsbee team.

Silsbee 

Jordyn Adams-Austin Peay 

Devon McCain-Austin Peay 

Braelon Bush-D1 offers coming in 

Kaylon Barnes-2 time defending 100m and 200m state champ, allstate football, University of Baylor 

Trajon Harris-D2 scholarship 

Calvin Tyler Jr-Oregon St running back 

Willie Jones- Texas State starting QB 

Bruce Newton-D2 football scholarship 

Landon Tyler-D2 basketball scholarship

Michael McCain-SFA football scholarship 

13 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I know that,  but he played for Kountze and he was a monster...

He was a monster and basketball is all about matchups and he would have been a matchup nightmare for those silsbee teams. They would of had to double him and that would have opened shots up for Hancock and other shooters kountze had. 

Silsbee’s best team would be favored over any of those Kountze teams in my opinion.  Could Kountze have won?  Of course.  Both teams playing at their best? Silsbee better and deeper.  Just my opinion.  HJ’s best team under Breithaupt is also a better matchup with that Silsbee team.  That’s the game I would pay to see. 

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Silsbee’s best team would be favored over any of those Kountze teams in my opinion.  Could Kountze have won?  Of course.  Both teams playing at their best? Silsbee better and deeper.  Just my opinion.  HJ’s best team under Breithaupt is also a better matchup with that Silsbee team.  That’s the game I would pay to see. 

Deeper? The Kountze bench was loaded in 04 lol. But anyways it’s all a bunch of opinions 

7 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

Deeper? The Kountze bench was loaded in 04 lol. But anyways it’s all a bunch of opinions 

One of those Silsbee teams was legitimately over 10 deep.  It was unreal.  To have a team that deep at 4A level was really unbelievable.  04 Kountze was deep.  Not that deep.   But at a certain point you are deep “enough” and not arguing both teams were at that point. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

One of those Silsbee teams was legitimately over 10 deep.  It was unreal.  To have a team that deep at 4A level was really unbelievable.  04 Kountze was deep.  Not that deep.   But at a certain point you are deep “enough” and not arguing both teams were at that point. 

Kountze was  deep as in they won state two out of the next three years after that and the only reason it wasn’t 4 in a row was because they were upset by Arp in the regional finals my senior year.

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

Kountze was  deep as in they won state two out of the next three years after that and the only reason it wasn’t 4 in a row was because they were upset by Arp in the regional finals my senior year.

And that Tiger team was deep in that they should have won state 3 years in a row, only a 3 pt loss in the finals that first year prevented that.  And the only reason it wasnt four straight was an “upset” loss to Yates in the regional finals last year.  That first state title team had 2 legitimate groups that could start and really not be much difference at all.  And they were missing Devon McCAin.  Also had 2 or 3  more on the bench who were quite capable of giving quality minutes.  Unreal depth on that team.  One of my favorite games to watch that year was actually a summer league game where they were split into 2 groups and played each other.  Now withn that said i really have no first hand knowledge of your group but will take others opinions that they were capable of beating the Tigers but still think the Tigers would be my favorites.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:37 PM, Wise_one said:

The 04 and possibly the 07  kountze team might not beat the Silsbee team from last year or year before. It would be close because those Kountze teams were every bit as good as the Dallas Carter team that almost beat Silsbee. The 2 previous years to that though the 15’, 16’ Silsbee teams wouldn’t be within 10 points of those 2 kountze teams. So today they couldn’t hang with Silsbee the last 4 years is a HUGE stretch.

Dallas Carter would have beat Kountze by 20. That Carter team was loaded. Silsbee may have played one of there best games all year to beat them. Never seen 2 teams shot like that at state. 

Kountze doesn't have a team who would beat the 31-1 Tigers! That team had 3 players play college ball in Lewis Arline (Lamar), Thad Holden (Tennessee), and Elester Whitmore (Houston Baptist). That team was rotating 5 at a time. They were ranked #16 in USA Today and was upset by a hot shooting Tyler Chapel Hill smh. Still hurts!! 

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's because a Kountze alum brought Silsbee into the convo.

Buddy is from Kountze? Didn't know that. Regardless, if Kountze can beat the 2017-2018 Tigers has nothing to do with Kountze being back.  They aren't even in the same classification, much less district. 

I can tell you Joub is doing one hell of a job with the squad he has.  I'll leave it there.

11 minutes ago, Coach 01 said:

Buddy is from Kountze? Didn't know that. Regardless, if Kountze can beat the 2017-2018 Tigers has nothing to do with Kountze being back.  They aren't even in the same classification, much less district. 

I can tell you Joub is doing one hell of a job with the squad he has.  I'll leave it there.

Not him.

37 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

How far do yall think Kountze can go this year? Regionals? State? Glad to see them back.

Kountze could make it to Regionals. Or they could get bounced in the 2nd. I'll hold the "Kountze is back" talk. Being around, but not involved, Kountze better get out of their own way.... soon

Again, Joub has a Coach of the Year resume working.. kudos to him and that staff.

10 hours ago, ST413 said:

And that Tiger team was deep in that they should have won state 3 years in a row, only a 3 pt loss in the finals that first year prevented that.  And the only reason it wasnt four straight was an “upset” loss to Yates in the regional finals last year.  That first state title team had 2 legitimate groups that could start and really not be much difference at all.  And they were missing Devon McCAin.  Also had 2 or 3  more on the bench who were quite capable of giving quality minutes.  Unreal depth on that team.  One of my favorite games to watch that year was actually a summer league game where they were split into 2 groups and played each other.  Now withn that said i really have no first hand knowledge of your group but will take others opinions that they were capable of beating the Tigers but still think the Tigers would be my favorites.

Yates may not consider last year an upset. They probably would lean towards the year before last as an upset when the Tigers beat them. Yates had a big man that year that was taken out of the game by some questionable officiating. The score got a little misleading at the end in what was one of the best high school games I’ve ever seen. 

12 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Yates may not consider last year an upset. They probably would lean towards the year before last as an upset when the Tigers beat them. Yates had a big man that year that was taken out of the game by some questionable officiating. The score got a little misleading at the end in what was one of the best high school games I’ve ever seen. 

Honestly, no offense to you meant,  but Yates can consider it whatever they want.  I was at both games and not sure i would call that officiating questionable.  Now as far as last years game i had that upset in parenthesis,  but it was still a loss that upset me!