West Orange-Stark forfeits district games

As I understand it, the Mustangs now sit at 0-6 with games remaining against Silsbee, LCM, OF and HF.  

I don’t get it either AAW.  I know several schools (including Silsbee boys and OF) have both had major players that had to miss multiple games over the past few seasons.  It seems to me there shouldn’t be such a lapse in communication.  

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

As I understand it, the Mustangs now sit at 0-6 with games remaining against Silsbee, LCM, OF and HF.  

I don’t get it either AAW.  I know several schools (including Silsbee boys and OF) have both had major players that had to miss multiple games over the past few seasons.  It seems to me there shouldn’t be such a lapse in communication.  

Right. A kid becoming ineligible is one thing, but playing an ineligible is another. That should never happen.

And you are correct. WO-S has to forfeit their 4 wins. 0-6 with 4 games remaining.

13 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Looks like there may be some high stakes on that next BC/Orangefield game. That is if other games go as expected. And WOs can beat LCM or us.

I guess the way I should have said this is if all games go as expected and Orangefield beats BC it could make a real nice atmosphere for that WOS LCM matchup.  Wos with a chance to force a playin game.

18 hours ago, wo-s#1 said:

And of course who suffers?you got it the ones that been working their @$$3$ off!!

Whom ever is responsible for this should get up in front of the team and take ownership of this issue. The team suffers the most and the teacher or admin still has a job and just goes on like another day. Feel very sorry for the students, parents, and everyone who worked hard to see an issue that should not have happened take away from a season.

Now, before we go asking for mass firings, let's let the facts be revealed.

The version of facts as I have been told indicates that there was no intentional part on player, teacher, coach or administrator to skirt the rules or no negligence on the part of anyone in the athletic department.  The fault as I have been told, lies as the feet of a faulty computer.  Reportedly, the computer in which a failing grade was entered, showed a passing grade.  This wasn't revealed until the WO-S athletic secretary was checking this student's grades to confirm eligibility for the track season and learned of the student's actual grade.  I have not learned whether the teacher who entered the grade new of the glitch.  At that point, WO-S had no choice but to self report to the 22-4A DEC which ruled that the Mustangs had to forfeit their 4 district wins.

But the rule is clear if a student is failing, he is ineligible.  If he is ineligible, any game or games in which he played are forfeited, regardless of the level of knowledge of the failing grade.

15 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

The version of facts as I have been told indicates that there was no intentional part on player, teacher, coach or administrator to skirt the rules or no negligence on the part of anyone in the athletic department.  The fault as I have been told, lies as the feet of a faulty computer.  Reportedly, the computer in which a failing grade was entered, showed a passing grade.  This wasn't revealed until the WO-S athletic secretary was checking this student's grades to confirm eligibility for the track season and learned of the student's actual grade.  I have not learned whether the teacher who entered the grade new of the glitch.  At that point, WO-S had no choice but to self report to the 22-4A DEC which ruled that the Mustangs had to forfeit their 4 district wins.

But the rule is clear if a student is failing, he is ineligible.  If he is ineligible, any game or games in which he played are forfeited, regardless of the level of knowledge of the failing grade.

If this is the case it's not a very good system...my son always knows what his grades are,and if he needs to buckle down in any class,he can do so before it's too late

17 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

If this is the case it's not a very good system...my son always knows what his grades are,and if he needs to buckle down in any class,he can do so before it's too late

No argument there.  In my home growing up, no pass no play was implemented long before the Texas Legislature ever considered it.

Computer error, human error, it doesn't matter.  Like you said the kid was apparently close enough to being below the line that closer watching was warranted.  It didn't happen and the Mustangs will pay the price. 

But if Tramaine Hancock looks at a grade on the computer and it shows passing, I don't think that anyone could say that he only used due diligence if he asked for a diagnostic of the WO-C CISD computers. 

42 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Thanks for the info.  Makes a lot more sense how this can occur.  Student should have known regardless.  I would say there should be some direct reporting of failures from teacher to coach but my understanding is this is the system everyone uses.  Coach pops on the computer for each players grades and checks to ensure they’re passing.  Technology will be the death of us all...