Off Topic

winwin

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

As a past pollster, I can understand the logic behind Kelly's "fall" in the rankings. 

I certainly understand that the top of TAPPS 3-6A is tougher than the top of 29-1A.  TAPPS 3-6A is downright brutal!  And I really do think that the pollsters took that into consideration as despite the early district losses Kelly maintained its #1 ranking in the 3A-Private Poll until last week and despite a current 4 game district losing streak Kelly still maintains a spot in the Top 10 of those rankings.

However, there is only so much credit that you can give to a team for being in a tougher district and only so much you can penalize another for either putting a good streak together or being well above their district competition.  This is especially true when the spot in question is the #1 ranking in this or any other poll.

Now as to who would beat who....yes....I'd take Kelly against any of the teams in the current 3A-Private Rankings and, quite frankly, I would like their chances against some of the teams in the current 6A-4A rankings.  However, this focuses on the difficulty that I know AAW and I have discussed in the football rankings and to some extent also here. That is when you have several classes being ranked in one poll, you can't always rely on hypothetical matchups in determining your rankings.  To sum up my convoluted paragraph into one sentence....while actual results count, mythical results don't necessarily do.

Of course, in the end,  regardless of the past, current or future rankings in this poll, the fact that Kelly is not #1 puts it no further way from a potential state championship and the fact that Leggett is #1 puts it no closer to one

I agree to an extent.  But it does defy logic when Buna has one less win and one more loss than Kelly but are several spots above them.  They have won more games lately because their district is less demanding.  So with a worse record and MUCH easier district, they are ranked higher.   Makes sense to me!

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

As a past pollster, I can understand the logic behind Kelly's "fall" in the rankings. 

I certainly understand that the top of TAPPS 3-6A is tougher than the top of 29-1A.  TAPPS 3-6A is downright brutal!  And I really do think that the pollsters took that into consideration as despite the early district losses Kelly maintained its #1 ranking in the 3A-Private Poll until last week and despite a current 4 game district losing streak Kelly still maintains a spot in the Top 10 of those rankings.

However, there is only so much credit that you can give to a team for being in a tougher district and only so much you can penalize another for either putting a good streak together or being well above their district competition.  This is especially true when the spot in question is the #1 ranking in this or any other poll.

Now as to who would beat who....yes....I'd take Kelly against any of the teams in the current 3A-Private Rankings and, quite frankly, I would like their chances against some of the teams in the current 6A-4A rankings.  However, this focuses on the difficulty that I know AAW and I have discussed in the football rankings and to some extent also here. That is when you have several classes being ranked in one poll, you can't always rely on hypothetical matchups in determining your rankings.  To sum up my convoluted paragraph into one sentence....while actual results count, mythical results don't necessarily do.

Of course, in the end,  regardless of the past, current or future rankings in this poll, the fact that Kelly is not #1 puts it no further way from a potential state championship and the fact that Leggett is #1 puts it no closer to one

Makes sense and to be honest with you, I like the drop. Gives me something to motivate the team with. They arent quite as cocky when they arent #1. I wasnt being bitter....just poking a little fun at the rankings :)

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

I can understand the need for that adjustment.  Putting Kelly, Legacy, Baytown Christian and OCC in the smaller school polls is mainly a football thing.  An example of this is Kelly.  In doing my football previews, Coach Rabb told me that his biggest problem was getting enough young men on the team to compete in a very strong TAPPS district with the likes of interestingly so, St. Pius and Concordia Lutheran.  Thus, it would be patently unfair to compare the football Bulldogs to any of the larger football teams in our area.  However, with smaller team requirements in basketball kind of close that gap and would enable Kelly to be compared more fairly with the larger schools in the area.

Wait a second?  winwin, isn't this the point you were trying to make in the other topic before someone took that thread off topic, thereby prompting you start this thread called "off topic?" And by posting a response that would be on topic for that topic am I off topic on this off topic thread.

Never mind, my head is starting to hurt.  I think I need a nap.

Yes that was my intent. Mass confusion but on the right thread lol

36 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I agree to an extent.  But it does defy logic when Buna has one less win and one more loss than Kelly but are several spots above them.  They have won more games lately because their district is less demanding.  So with a worse record and MUCH easier district, they are ranked higher.   Makes sense to me!

Oh, you have no argument from me that the disparity between TAPPS 3-6A and 23-3A is just as big as the one I referenced earlier.

However, it may seem unfair as all get out, but yes, winning or losing trends are looked at in these polls.  Of course, you look at the strength of an opponent in an individual loss.  But again, I stress that when the losses mount for one team and wins mount for another consecutively, you have to lessen, if not completely disregard, the credit you give to one team in playing in tougher district and decrease the penalty to another for playing in a district viewed as not being so tough. 

Quite simply, you win, you rise.  You lose, you drop.

41 minutes ago, winwin said:

Makes sense and to be honest with you, I like the drop. Gives me something to motivate the team with. They arent quite as cocky when they arent #1. I wasnt being bitter....just poking a little fun at the rankings :)

Oh, I know.  It just gave me an opportunity to give some insight (unnecessary as it was) as to how these polls work and have folks understand that those who vote in them are not completely outside of their minds...although such thoughts about me are completely reasonable..