Monte Barrow named new HC/AD at Nederland!

KABrother

21 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

Could you imagine if he traded in one black and gold helmet for another!  The uproar that it would cause...

Its happened before, just not in football.   Brian English was there before coming to Nederland and Green (Vidor baseball coach) is a Nederland guy as well although he is still in Vidor.

*Edit*  Green is now at Lamar. 

37 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Calallan runs the Slot-T and played for the State Championship.  I would venture to say that year in and year out Calallan's kids are do different than Nederland's.  A team can win with anything.  It's not about systems -- it's about coaching!

Wow... just Wow...

22 hours ago, InTheGates said:

The scenarios I see for the hiring of a New AD/Hd Football or AD and Head Football goes possibly like this....In no particular order

*School Board decides no required Masters Degree, Coach Barrow becomes New AD/Head Football Coach

*School Board decides Masters Degree required, Coach English or Spell become AD and Coach Barrow named Hd. Football Coach

*School Board decides Masters Degree required, Full Blown open search for a new AD/Hd Football Coach

The last scenario is just as much at play IMO as the first two, reasons being the New Superintendent was hired from the outside when Nederland had (2) In-house long time Assistant Superintendents "In Waiting"...

Any other thoughts or scenarios?

My money would be on this one with English being AD.

25 minutes ago, Raider24 said:

My money would be on this one with English being AD.

I don't think NISD will split the AD and HC  positions, the main reason being money and the fact that Nederland is not really big enough to require that.   Also, I don't think English would be interested in an AD job and give up coaching BB.

9 minutes ago, bigdog said:

I don't think NISD will split the AD and HC  positions, the main reason being money and the fact that Nederland is not really big enough to require that.   Also, I don't think English would be interested in an AD job and give up coaching BB.

Who said he would have to give up coaching BB?

BIGDOG....Scenario #2 would not cost the school district more money, pending what the salary of (English or Spell) and (Barrow) would be in that case. If English...He would stay as HD Basketball, If Spell he would stay as HD Baseball....Those each would get a bump....Barrow then gets a Bump as HD Football hires a new OC and the money is about the same...

On 1/4/2017 at 7:17 AM, Brubaker said:

Ned has voted down new schools twice, they were not both in recessions when the economy was bad, only the first.  They just clearly are not going to do it, so I agree shouldnt be spending big money to attract a new coach.  

With all the success Nederland and Neumann has had over the 24 years some upgrades could've been done to the facilities forthe kids sake. They are more deserving than all programs in SETX. There arent anymore LN out there that will accept the current situation/facilities. Champagne taste on a beer budget will get you what you pay for....jmo

2 hours ago, InTheGates said:

BIGDOG....Scenario #2 would not cost the school district more money, pending what the salary of (English or Spell) and (Barrow) would be in that case. If English...He would stay as HD Basketball, If Spell he would stay as HD Baseball....Those each would get a bump....Barrow then gets a Bump as HD Football hires a new OC and the money is about the same...

I imagine that adding the AD responsibilities would be be a pretty good bump in pay..

5 minutes ago, bigdog said:

I guess he wouldn't have to, he would just have  more responsibilities.  I guess it would come down to if he wants the extra workload.

I would think if the pay was right, Coach English would welcome the extra responsibilities. Plus, he would be able to "change" some things in the athletic program. ;)

Best case scenario imo...Barrows named HC/AD and things roll on. Or you hire a HC/AD from the outside. Lets say you give the AD position to another coach already there, and the HC to Barrow..... What happens if Barrow leaves and you need to hire another HC with an AD already in place? Gonna be a tough sell to get a proven HC without the AD stipend. The salary wont be right, and no proven or seasoned Head Football Coach would accept these terms, you would have to find a diamond in the rough.  Giving the AD spot to anyone other than the HC could come back to haunt you.But hey, Im a football guy.JMO.

4 minutes ago, outanup said:

Best case scenario imo...Barrows named HC/AD and things roll on. Or you hire a HC/AD from the outside. Lets say you give the AD position to another coach already there, and the HC to Barrow..... What happens if Barrow leaves and you need to hire another HC with an AD already in place? Gonna be a tough sell to get a proven HC without the AD stipend. The salary wont be right, and no proven or seasoned Head Football Coach would accept these terms, you would have to find a diamond in the rough.  Giving the AD spot to anyone other than the HC could come back to haunt you.But hey, Im a football guy.JMO.

This is very true.

This is Texas where football rules. If you want a high quality coach at a single school 5A level, the AD position has to go with the HC position.

• Bigdog locked this topic