Monte Barrow named new HC/AD at Nederland!

KABrother

26 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Never good for a football program when the AD is the Thump Thump coach. Nothing against Brian English, he's a quality guy.

Why the talk of making it two separate jobs?  Also, why the talk of giving it to someone else other than the head football coach?  Was Neumann having trouble on the AD side?  Nederland may not get a quality coach if it didn't include the AD.  If both were included, the new coach would/could be paid more. 

On 1/4/2017 at 2:34 PM, bobbymcgee said:

I like Barrows and NISD could do a lot worse but other than Cornel Thompson can anybody tell me about a time hiring the loyal longtime  assistant worked out? 

To help prove your point:  When Doug Ethridge left PN-G, they went in-house with the line coach, Butch Troy.  Butch was probably the best line coach in the state of Texas.  But -- when given the whole enchilada, well, it was pretty bad.  The year after he left, a coach was brought in from the outside and promptly went 12-2.  Nederland may have to end up with someone on the staff -- but you DO NOT start there!!

3 hours ago, prepballfan said:

I would believe they will open it up. WHo knows somebody unbelievable may throw in on it

Maybe but I doubt it. Bonds can't get passed to upgrade schools much less sports facilities. Now days that is a big draw. No big name coach will put in,unless he is alumni and wants to come home, if you cant get things up dated. Monte is the best suited for thus job and if they don't find a way to give it to him then the new superintendent is an idiot. She is from the outside though.

6 hours ago, Coach85 said:

Maybe but I doubt it. Bonds can't get passed to upgrade schools much less sports facilities. Now days that is a big draw. No big name coach will put in,unless he is alumni and wants to come home, if you cant get things up dated. Monte is the best suited for thus job and if they don't find a way to give it to him then the new superintendent is an idiot. She is from the outside though.

I disagree with the idea if they don't find a way to give it to him then the new superintendent is an idiot. Lets wait and see who applies first before calling the superintendent an idiot there maybe another candidate more qualified than Barrow is.

On 1/7/2017 at 10:21 AM, The Icon said:

Never good for a football program when the AD is the Thump Thump coach. Nothing against Brian English, he's a quality guy.

Its no secret that certain members of the school board wanted Neumann out. Those same members are also the very ones wanting to make the bball coach the next AD. Im not saying that he was run out cause I dont know that but, it sure is strange the way it all went down. If the AD position is given to anyone other than the next Head Football Coach it could spell disaster for the football program. As for myself, I will voice my concerns to our board members when the opportunity presents itself. And remember, they are all elected by us.

Reading all the post are interesting, if NISD names English as AD, he may reach out to Mathews they have a history

together. It will be hard for an outsider to come in and really carry on what LN has built. Look at PNG one bad year and people

putting for sale signs in the coaches  yard. Also facilities are horrible and in todays high school football world that means a lot at the level

Nederland plays at. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. As far as LN going to Kelly that would be interesting .

On 1/7/2017 at 4:55 PM, Coach85 said:

With all the possible available coaches in the state of Texas, you say Barrow is the best suited?  Sounds like possibly a little "home cooking" going on?!

9 hours ago, outanup said:

Its no secret that certain members of the school board wanted Neumann out. Those same members are also the very ones wanting to make the bball coach the next AD. Im not saying that he was run out cause I dont know that but, it sure is strange the way it all went down. If the AD position is given to anyone other than the next Head Football Coach it could spell disaster for the football program. As for myself, I will voice my concerns to our board members when the opportunity presents itself. And remember, they are all elected by us.

Interesting!  Maybe this is why he hasn't made a statement to the press?  Maybe he was forced out?!   Hummmm...

5 hours ago, Reagan said:

With all the possible available coaches in the state of Texas, you say Barrow is the best suited?  Sounds like possibly a little "home cooking" going on?!

No home cooking, just facts about a very good quality coach 

On 1/8/2017 at 11:41 PM, NHSBulldogFan said:

I disagree with the idea if they don't find a way to give it to him then the new superintendent is an idiot. Lets wait and see who applies first before calling the superintendent an idiot there maybe another candidate more qualified than Barrow is.

Dr. Perez is very good at her job. Regardless who gets the job, she is far from an idiot, very far.

Hell I want to chime in.... I think Nederland is in a bad spot. LN was doing a lot with a little. Lets use a high profile name for sake of argument. Donaher has applied at PN-G twice. Last go around, he came in, looked at the facilities, looked at the schools, then met the athletes. He quickly pulled his name out of the hat afterwards. Any good coach will do that. I think a young, inexperienced coach might come in, but, after a look at the the above mentioned, a high profile guy will not be interested. This is Texas. U..I.L.... Home of recruitment wars in High School. If you do not have something to pull in kids, they are not going to come. Barrow is capable, and IMO the best choice. He will deal with all the shortcomings and try to keep the LN tradition alive. New coaches want new things, and I am just not sure Nederland is ready for it. I can say this, no one will do what LN did for Nederland. I would just try to keep the hope alive with a local guy that will make it work.... I think Nederland is short on facilities... Short on bond approvals.... Short on Corporate tax money, and short on P.A.M. talent. As everyone knows also, its very difficult for an outsider to be LOVED.... For sale sings and all that.... MONTE is the best chance in IMO................

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

OK, I'll bite: So, why do we think he would be a good head coach? 

Stattrax gave several good reasons & hes a proven good coach with a solid resume. No one has to show or sell anything about Nederland to Barrow or the other coaches at Nederland to convince them to take the job becuz they built it from the the ashes 0-10 & 2-8 seasons. Do you know anything about the man or anything about the other quality coaches at Nederland in every sport that live & raise their families in Nederland?  Bottom line is you probably don't & you just like having a good time making comments about hope & change & what if's & good ole boy home cooking. Barrow is a legit coach & a legit person ask any coach in the district. Now what reasons do you have why Barrow wouldnt  be a good head coach at Nederland & his staff now couldnt continue LN success & possibly create more success?     

58 minutes ago, kf89 said:

Stattrax gave several good reasons & hes a proven good coach with a solid resume. No one has to show or sell anything about Nederland to Barrow or the other coaches at Nederland to convince them to take the job becuz they built it from the the ashes 0-10 & 2-8 seasons. Do you know anything about the man or anything about the other quality coaches at Nederland in every sport that live & raise their families in Nederland?  Bottom line is you probably don't & you just like having a good time making comments about hope & change & what if's & good ole boy home cooking. Barrow is a legit coach & a legit person ask any coach in the district. Now what reasons do you have why Barrow wouldnt  be a good head coach at Nederland & his staff now couldnt continue LN success & possibly create more success?     

Yeah, sounds like home cooking!  Plus a little breakfast in bed!  SMH!

Like i thought reagan u have no valid reasons u just like fapping your lips about something u don't have a clue about. You are more than welcome to pm me to explain your home cooking theory & the reasons why anyone is or isnt qualified to be ned. Head coach 

21 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Yeah, sounds like home cooking!  Plus a little breakfast in bed!  SMH!

Say what you want or think,everyone has a opinion..but nothing more that I want for my two sons than to play for Monte Barrow and the rest of that staff that's been there with Neumann for the next three years.My opinion is that is what is best for my boys,the rest of the kids coming up and the city of Nederland..I would hate to see that staff go,I'm hoping and praying that Monte takes the reigns..He is well deserving and very capable..So with that being said,all you haters out there I hope it doesn't go your way..

#monteforpresident2017

Traditionally programs that have tradition and success keep the hire in house. That way the success and tradition will continue. The two most succesfull football programs in the area both stayed in house when making coaching changes. WOS hired Cornel Thompson who had a previous head coaching record of 2-8 before he took over at WOS, and that has worked out pretty good. WT Johnson was 0-0 as a head coach before he took over at Newton and that worked out pretty good too. Gary Joseph took over at Katy for Mike Johnston when he retired that seems to have worked nicely. The head coach at North Shore was the long time DC and took over after Aymond retired. I believe he won a state title in only his second year. Desoto chose to hire there OC after there head coach left and went to SMU two seasons ago and I believe he just won the schools first ever football state title. Lastly, Dan Hooks was the DC for five years at WOS before he got the job after Steve McCarty left in 1982. His previous head coaching record at Channelview was 5-5. Be careful what you wish for Nederland fans, because you may get it! Give the job to Barrow!

#BOBBYAUGUST! Lol

12 hours ago, chorizo said:

Say what you want or think,everyone has a opinion..but nothing more that I want for my two sons than to play for Monte Barrow and the rest of that staff that's been there with Neumann for the next three years.My opinion is that is what is best for my boys,the rest of the kids coming up and the city of Nederland..I would hate to see that staff go,I'm hoping and praying that Monte takes the reigns..He is well deserving and very capable..So with that being said,all you haters out there I hope it doesn't go your way..

#monteforpresident2017

More home cooking.  The last time they did some home cooking Ned got S. Derouen.  No more mistakes like that!

• Bigdog locked this topic