Kaepernick and the anthem

12 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

So he's going to donate $1 million of his blood money (that is backed by the same United States that he is protesting) to fight oppression?

Seems like a contradiction. 

Why not just quit football and take his cause to the streets?

Wore a Castro shirt to news conference yesterday.  Talk about oppression.  This guy is a complete dumbarse.

The NFL Commish is the one that screwed the pooch.  He should have stopped this immediately, to prevent the spread.  One of his main jobs is to keep the NFL from being disparaged.  He stopped Dallas from wearing a sticker to back the Police.  

As I predicted, Kapertwit now has followers.

This is the hidden content, please

And, probably the whole Seahawk Team.

I wouldn't go watch any of these Teams play in Beaumont if I had free tickets.  They all can kiss my Red, White, and Blue behind.

I can understand being unhappy with a lot of situations.   When I worked for a big company, I got upset with it from time to time.   But if those near the top had protested, knowing the excellent salaries and perks they had, I would have had little sympathy for them.   So it is with this bunch of over pampered loons.  

On September 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM, BS Wildcats said:

Wore a Castro shirt to news conference yesterday.  Talk about oppression.  This guy is a complete dumbarse.

Maybe he should see if there is an NFL team in Cuba. Made all that money under the protection and capitalistic society that the flag provided. He should give all that money back. His parents should divorce his sorry arse. What a POS.

Here is my issue, and I've been clearly Q uiet about this.  The complaining about Kaepernick is that he is disrespecting the country and the troops.  But you have plenty of vets who support him and his right.  One that comes to mind is Nate Boyer, one of the finest men to ever don the Burnt Orangs.  

Colin has the absolute right to sit or kneel during the anthem.  He says he is doing so as a "stand."  Now we have people questioning his motives.  Does anyone question that this song was written by a slave owner and its third verse, which thankfully we do not sing, was overtly racist?  I guess I don't get why people are so upset about this.  If you don't agree, fine.  You don't have to.  And you are free to criticize him.  That is your right.  Just as he has every right to try and exact change and open a discussion based on his.  My problem is he was trying to start a real dialogue about issues we have in this country and it gets lost because we can't get past the minutiae of his act to begin with. 

Ultimately, here is my stance.  I admire anyone that does something "hard" for something they believe in.  It is not easy to do something thst was undoubtedly going to be HUGELY unpopular because you are trying to help the greater good.  Bear in mind, you don't have to agree with what he believes is going on.  The point is he does.  I myself have been critical of athletes not doing enough with their "platform."  

The one that comes to mind is Tiger Woods.  I have NEVER been a Tiger Woods fan because I have always believed Tiger is only about Tiger.  Yes, Tiger would pay lip service to the Charlie Siffords, Calvin Peetes and Jim Thorpes.  But when Tiger was called upon to honor Jackie Robinson?  No thank you.  Was it his right to decline?  Yes.  Do I think he "owes" something to those who came before him that have allowed him to amass nearly a billion dollars at one point?  Absolutely.  So it would be hugely hypocritical of me to then blast Kap for trying to, in his mind, bring about positive change. 

In the end, we all have a right to our opinions.  I'm not naive enough to believe I'm going to change yours.  But I do find it sad that so many think this issue is just so cut and dry.  Because like most things in this world, it clearly isn't. 

Well said Hoops.  I'm one conservative and patriotic person, but I believe Kap has an absolute right to sit if he so desires.  Just like I have the right to think the way I do, I appreciate those with differing opinions.  That's what makes this country great.  Our problem as a nation right now is the hate...it's gotta stop!  Where is John Lennon when you need him??

I just dont like it coming down to his having a right to do it. He also has the right to burn the flag, but we have seen how that went at a MLB game. I just think there are plenty of other avenues to explore to get his point across than to spit on the flag and not honor the nation in which he lives where he makes millions. He is also drawing attention away from what the flag signifies...... Honoring the people who have died for it and preserving the right he has to kneel. That is first and foremost!

I have lots of things I would like to see changed in our country, but alas, I can't use my celebrity to bring about a movement. Are his values more appreciated than mine? I certainly won't spit on the grave of dead soldiers to make my point.

I bet he can't name any one of the people he is supposedly kneeling for.

Edited by baddog

9 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Terribly curious about the timing.  If Mr. Kaepernick is so passionate and so concerned about this, why hasn't he done this much earlier in his NFL career?    Additionally, that which he protests is statistically minute.

Nash, people who disrespect the flag have never been handed a folded one.

• 2 weeks later...

I respect his stance, And for people to say he does not know what oppression means because he makes millions , raised by white people etc , You haven't walked in his shoes so how can you assume what he has experienced in his life ? , You Can't , it's impossible to. I love America , but to be oblivious to how it was founded and the savagery in which it was upheld is a very ignorant stance , albeit it's in the past but instances still rear thier ugly head every now and then and it's 2016 for Christ sake , the pledge of allegiance is filled with promises of "Justice for All " , but has this country upheld their very words , I would say He** No , it's safe to say that when these pledges and amendments were put into play a certain shade of people didn't have those privilege rights , so I say coming from a environment that  the majority  (Not all) share the same beliefs , I respect his stance to the fullest✔

• 3 weeks later...

I am a veteran and I won't ever support Kap or any of the other players that kneel during the anthem. Yes, I understand it's their right to do what they need to in order to raise awareness about the ongoing police brutality, but I just don't agree with the way he is doing it. He is doing this during his "work" time not on his own time. If any of us did that during our work time we would be fired before we could say "oppression". His actions may have brought much more publicity to the issues at hand but they have also divided America even more. I will be honest, for the most part of my life I was never really fond of police and what they do because of the bad rep they have always had for as long as I can remember. After being overseas and having people that don't even know tell me how much they hate me when they don't even know a thing about me really helped to open my eyes. There are always a few bad eggs that slip thru any system and make the cut. It's very ignorant to put all police officers into one group just because you see a video on the news of a cop brutally killing someone. Once I saw Kap wearing his Fidel Castro shirt and those pig socks, that's when I was certain he was an ignorant fool. I may not have walked in his shoes and seen what he's seen but I promise you that If I were to make millions of dollars doing something I love I wouldn't have the audacity to say that I'm the one that's oppressed. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/8/2016 at 3:36 PM, BS Wildcats said:

Don't really like Stephen A. Smith, but this is good.

It has absolutely nothing to do with his right to do it. This is what fuels this type of behavior. Some people can really hit the nail on the head....

Burgess Owens weighs in on Colin Kaepernick

Kapertwit is on the downhill side of his career.  He's become a Muslim, a religion that imo, will never encourage love of country.  While I abhor what Kap did (his right, my right), my biggest problem is with NFL Commish.  It's his job to promote and protect the image of the NFL.  He could've nipped this in the bud, but didn't.  He should have, for the NFL. He failed.

On 9/17/2016 at 0:11 PM, stevenash said:

Terribly curious about the timing.  If Mr. Kaepernick is so passionate and so concerned about this, why hasn't he done this much earlier in his NFL career?    Additionally, that which he protests is statistically minute.

He didn't start doing this until her started dating that Muslim chick