And #1 Ozen goes down!!!

I agree. That was for bucket who made a deal out of Lumberton being ranked.

Well it does help with the girls confidence and as an intimidation factor when playing teams who allow themselves to be beat before they show up to play but as far as winning a game with a ranking. Not at all.  :)

[quote name="Texans Fan" post="1347436" timestamp="1354423002"]

Well it does help with the girls confidence and as an intimidation factor when playing teams who allow themselves to be beat before they show up to play but as far as winning a game with a ranking. Not at all.  :)
[/quote]

Number 1s can be beat i never said they couldn't.  Tournament play is alot different than district play and playoffs....if you were a coach you would know.  not making excuse for teams to lose, but most highly ranked teams will often have losses on their records from tournament play rather than an individual game played during the week.... but i don't expect you to know that as a fan or a parent.

i am unbiased when i make my remarks because i don't have a dog in the hunt.  im a basketball junkie....Yes its just my opinion, but my remarks are not swayed by an emotional attachment.

congrats to memorial for winning. 

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1348306" timestamp="1354557502"]
[quote author=Texans Fan link=topic=106999.msg1347436#msg1347436 date=1354423002]

[/quote]

Number 1s can be beat i never said they couldn't.  Tournament play is alot different than district play and playoffs....if you were a coach you would know.  not making excuse for teams to lose, but most highly ranked teams will often have losses on their records from tournament play rather than an individual game played during the week.... but i don't expect you to know that as a fan or a parent.

i am unbiased when i make my remarks because i don't have a dog in the hunt.  im a basketball junkie....Yes its just my opinion, but my remarks are not swayed by an emotional attachment.

congrats to memorial for winning.
[/quote]
Yes sir I understand that. I went to Hardin-Jefferson and was a trainer on the team. We started out ranked number one my junior yet and went 37-8 that year so I know what you mean.

In the other post I wasn't attacking you by asking about a lower ranked team beating a number one. I was curious because it seemed like you were saying for a team to be ranked at all they had to fair well against a number one team and that seemed odd to me. To me ozen is beatable but Is probably still one if the best teams in the state. there are top ten teams that Ozen would eat their lunch. That's why I asked about it; I wasn't jumping your case or anything. And also, I am way too young to have children so believe me when I say I am not a parent. Haha

i said what i said because a team could have a 8-1 record (Lumberton at that time of post)and be misleading because they haven't played anyone of any significance except for orangefield and memorial....orangefield was still in volleyball playoffs and memorial beat them. 

I am all about teams getting their name out their and getting recognition, but some people especially parents and fans believe in the hype of a ranking.

i ve seen lumberton play 3 times.....their a descent ball club for this area, but they are not a top 25 4A team in texas.  and im sure parents and fans of lumberton will disagree with me and have irrational thoughts about me saying that (thats that emotional attachment they have to the team)  they are nt seeing clearly because of that attachment.  as of today lumberton is no longer ranked. 

i see lumberton competing for 3rd in that district....

Lumberton came back and beat Port Authur in the Nederland tournament finals. I'm not sure if you knew about that it not but I'm pretty sure that is why TABC ranked them. In my opinion though the only two rankings that mattar are where are you standing at the end of district going into playoffs and where do you stand when the season is finished.

[quote name="Texans Fan" post="1348676" timestamp="1354591008"]
Lumberton came back and beat Port Authur in the Nederland tournament finals. I'm not sure if you knew about that it not but I'm pretty sure that is why TABC ranked them. In my opinion though the only two rankings that mattar are where are you standing at the end of district going into playoffs and where do you stand when the season is finished.
[/quote]

oh i didn't know that....so who did they lose to then.

and yes i agree

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1348802" timestamp="1354621368"]
[quote author=Texans Fan link=topic=106999.msg1348676#msg1348676 date=1354591008]
Lumberton came back and beat Port Arthur in the Nederland tournament finals. I'm not sure if you knew about that it not but I'm pretty sure that is why TABC ranked them. In my opinion though the only two rankings that matter are where are you standing at the end of district going into playoffs and where do you stand when the season is finished.
[/quote]

oh i didn't know that....so who did they lose to then.

and yes i agree
[/quote]
They lost to PAM in pool play during the Nederland Tournament, however they came back and beat PAM in the tournament finals to win the tournament. So far this year Lumberton has beaten every team that has beaten them. (Westbrook, PAM, Dayton)

This is just my opinion, and you can't compare apples to oranges. Let's look at Baylor's lady basketball team that went 40-0. Defending national champions and returned all 5 starters from last year, they were ranked number 1 and lost to Stanford, a few weeks ago. But come the elite 8 or final 4 baylor's team will be their. Ozen haven't put all the pieces together yet. Like ozenfinest said i rather lose now, than in the playoffs. like that comment, 'deep post. go panthers. 8)

Good point - Baylor was without their starting point guard most of the game as well, but Greiner only scored 4pts in the first half really hurt them. 

I think Ozen will be fine - PAM is 5A they won't knock them out of the playoffs. I am curious to see the game between Ozen and Central!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin