Hamshire-Fannett at Splendora Game Thread/Splendora wins 14-7!

[quote name="outanup" post="1259850" timestamp="1346719784"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=102356.msg1259848#msg1259848 date=1346719586]
A senior returning starting QB who had good enough numbers last season to warrant being named 2nd team all district, gets replaced by a freshman. :o

Very, very interesting. ;)
[/quote]Agreed....the freshman is very talented but, IMO not quite ready YET.
[/quote]

I saw King play last year as an 8th grader. Very impressive!

Never, ever did I think he would be the starting QB on varsity as a freshman.

Really not sure what to think of this move. Certainly there is more to this that meets the eye. :-\

Like I said before if parents would parent and let coaches coach and let players play then everyone would be ok. Parents only have problems when their kid isn't playing or being the star that they think
They should be. I hope that the horns do better this week and I hope that all the idiocracy behind these post goes away.

I Got to amit I did not see this loss coming. The HF Offense did not play well at all as a team. IMHO, Splendora was a much improved team from last year. It was not that long ago that Splendora was the team to beat in that district. Granted Splendora made some mistakes as well and really could have blew out the Horns that night with all the turnovers & miscues HF had. I am not really sure where I stand as far as the QB issue. Part of me says give the Senior a chance because lets face it his offensive line did a horrible job and could not block anything. Then part of me says he does not seem to embrace the part of being the leader of the team and I think we can all agree his descision making under stress is not that good. Heck this is his 3rd year at QB and the game should have slowed down for him by now, our style of offense has not changed only the coach. He is too quick to hang his head and let things snowball when things are not going well, a 3 year starter should not do that. The team feeds off the QB's attitude and if they see him give up so will they. We need to give Coach Harris a chance, this is his first gig as a HFC. He is looking out for the future of the HF FB program and can tell that the Freshman has natural ability. Coach Harris was a QB Coach at Midland Lee prior taking the helm at HF. I think if anyone can develope a QB it would be him. I do think he needs to decide quickly who he is going to go with and stick with him. I do not think a 2 QB system will work in HS FB. Other Teams will be to quick to pick up on your tendancies. As for the HF defense I think they did a good job of staying motivated, being they were on the field most of the game. I will say this, they need to do a better job of tackling. There were quite a few big runs that should have been stopped for a loss or a minimal gain, too many arm tackles. Just because the Horns lost their first game to what many perceive was a sub par team does not mean the season is doomed. They just need to learn from this and get back to work and get motivated. As a Senior, If lettting a Freshman take your job does not motivate you then I am not sure anything will. I was disappointed in the overall lack of enthusiasm from the Players, Coaches, Student body, Administration and the fans in the stands for that matter. Like the previous poster said we need to re-instill a culture of winning at HF. HF has a proud past and winning tradition and we need to get back to that as a community. I hope everyone comes out fired up and ready to take it too Anahuac Friday night in our home opener. Good Luck Horns I am still in your corner.

[quote name="HORNSFAN86" post="1260103" timestamp="1346766540"]
I Got to amit I did not see this loss coming. The HF Offense did not play well at all as a team. IMHO, Splendora was a much improved team from last year. It was not that long ago that Splendora was the team to beat in that district. Granted Splendora made some mistakes as well and really could have blew out the Horns that night with all the turnovers & miscues HF had. I am not really sure where I stand as far as the QB issue. Part of me says give the Senior a chance because lets face it his offensive line did a horrible job and could not block anything. Then part of me says he does not embrace the part of being a leader on the team and I think we can all agree his descision making under stress is not that good. Heck this is his 3rd year at QB and the game should have slowed down for him by now, our style of offense has not changed only the coach. He is too quick to hang his head and let things snowball when things are not going well, a 3 year starters should not do that. The team feeds off the QB's attitude and if they see him give up so will they. We need to give Coach Harris a chance, this is his first gig as a HFC. He is looking out for the future of HF FB program and can tell that the Freshman has natural ability. Coach Harris was a QB Coach at Midland Lee prior taking the helm at HF. I think if anyone can develope a QB it would be him. I do think he needs to decide who he is going to go with and stick with him. I do not think a 2 QB system will work in HS FB. Other Teams will be to quick to pick up on your tendacies. As for HF defense I think they did a good job of staying motivated, being they stayed on the field most of the game. I will say that the defense does not do a very good job of tackling. There were quite a few big runs that should have been stopped for a loss or a minimal gain, too many arm tackles. Just because we lost our first game to what many percieve was a sub par team does not mean the season is doomed. They just need to learn from this and get back to work and get motivated. As a Senior, If lettting a Freshman take your job does not motivate you then I am not sure anything will. I was disappointed in the overall lack of enthusiasm from the players, student body and our fans for that matter. I hope everyone comes out fired up and ready to take it too Anahuac Friday night in our home opener. Good Luck Horns I am still in your corner.
[/quote]

Excellent post!!

King is an outstanding athlete, but he is a Freshman. He will make Freshman mistakes. I don't know much about the Sr. QB, but I am a bit suprised that King is the starter. His talents warrant him being on the field, but I really thought he would move to RB or WR this year and get aclimated to the speed of the game. It is very difficult for a Freshman to take on the role of a leader.  Sounds like new coach recognizes Kendricks talents and figures he will take his lumps early and build for the future. King is not the only talent in that Freshman group. Good things to come in HF if folks will be patient.

[quote name="badndn" post="1260129" timestamp="1346768448"]
King is an outstanding athlete, but he is a Freshman. He will make Freshman mistakes. I don't know much about the Sr. QB, but I am a bit suprised that King is the starter. [b]His talents warrant him being on the field, but I really thought he would move to RB or WR this year and get aclimated to the speed of the game. It is very difficult for a Freshman to take on the role of a leader.[/b]  Sounds like new coach recognizes Kendricks talents and figures he will take his lumps early and build for the future. King is not the only talent in that Freshman group. Good things to come in HF if folks will be patient.
[/quote]

I agree. It's very tough for a freshman to lead juniors and seniors on the football field. The QB position is all about leadership.

The freshman was good on the freshman team and maybe even the jv team but on varsity he is gonna make freshman mistakes. When the line doesn't hold up he can't try and out run everyone like he did in middle school and freshman team because he was the better athlete then. It's a completely different game on varsity. The freshman will be good he just needs time and experience.

No one stated that he was the starter.I said that's not our problem. o-line trouble is where the change is needed.If the HC decides to make a change at the QB position then so be it.just be man enough to live with the out come. And believe me there is no comparision between the two QB'S.

[quote name="HORNSFAN86" post="1260103" timestamp="1346766540"]
I Got to amit I did not see this loss coming. The HF Offense did not play well at all as a team. IMHO, Splendora was a much improved team from last year. It was not that long ago that Splendora was the team to beat in that district. Granted Splendora made some mistakes as well and really could have blew out the Horns that night with all the turnovers & miscues HF had. I am not really sure where I stand as far as the QB issue. Part of me says give the Senior a chance because lets face it his offensive line did a horrible job and could not block anything. Then part of me says he does not seem to embrace the part of being the leader of the team and I think we can all agree his descision making under stress is not that good. Heck this is his 3rd year at QB and the game should have slowed down for him by now, our style of offense has not changed only the coach. He is too quick to hang his head and let things snowball when things are not going well, a 3 year starter should not do that. The team feeds off the QB's attitude and if they see him give up so will they. We need to give Coach Harris a chance, this is his first gig as a HFC. He is looking out for the future of the HF FB program and can tell that the Freshman has natural ability. Coach Harris was a QB Coach at Midland Lee prior taking the helm at HF. I think if anyone can develope a QB it would be him. I do think he needs to decide quickly who he is going to go with and stick with him. I do not think a 2 QB system will work in HS FB. Other Teams will be to quick to pick up on your tendancies. As for the HF defense I think they did a good job of staying motivated, being they were on the field most of the game. I will say this, they need to do a better job of tackling. There were quite a few big runs that should have been stopped for a loss or a minimal gain, too many arm tackles. Just because the Horns lost their first game to what many perceive was a sub par team does not mean the season is doomed. They just need to learn from this and get back to work and get motivated. As a Senior, If lettting a Freshman take your job does not motivate you then I am not sure anything will. I was disappointed in the overall lack of enthusiasm from the Players, Coaches, Student body, Administration and the fans in the stands for that matter. Like the previous poster said we need to re-instill a culture of winning at HF. HF has a proud past and winning tradition and we need to get back to that as a community. I hope everyone comes out fired up and ready to take it too Anahuac Friday night in our home opener. Good Luck Horns I am still in your corner.
[/quote]Your disappointment in the lack of enthusiasm from players, coaches and student body is a reflection of what they have endured from Harris.  If his approach doesn't change, many athletes have expressed walking away from the game or even worse, transfering schools.  HF has already lost too many good athletes. We can't afford to loose any more.  Its simple....athletes who respect their coach will want to perform for that coach. 

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="Butterbean" post="1260374" timestamp="1346786987"]
[quote author=HORNSFAN86 link=topic=102356.msg1260103#msg1260103 date=1346766540]
[/quote]Your disappointment in the lack of enthusiasm from players, coaches and student body is a reflection of what they have endured from Harris.  If his approach doesn't change, many athletes have expressed walking away from the game or even worse, transfering schools.  HF has already lost too many good athletes. We can't afford to loose any more.  Its simple....athletes who respect their coach will want to perform for that coach.
[/quote]

Something is definately wrong with the culture in HF, towards their coach's. SMH!!!!

im an alumni of HF and i still attend alot of the sporting events there.  I came up when Tarver was the HEAD COACH and HEAD COACH HE WAS. 

THere has been a culture change......and its due to most of the parents of these spoiled children.  PARENTS stop brown nosing with the coach, super, school board members, etc, etc.  Super, principal, school board members, parents......stay out of the coaches ear.  You hired the guy to do a job, he's gonna do the best he can with what he knows and has avaliable to him.  He didn't take the job to lose, he took the job to turn the program around and win. 
all you parents think lil johnny is an all star......sorry but most of you are all wrong.....  your children are going to fail sometimes and get replaced sometimes.....let them.....its a life lesson.  in the real world you don't do your job you get fired and replaced or demoted.....its life....let it happen

if you got beat out of a spot then you were good enough, so train harder and give more effort, be smarter and you can win your spot back.
This stuff didn't happen near as much when Tarver was coaching....

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1260410" timestamp="1346789548"]
im an alumni of HF and i still attend alot of the sporting events there.  I came up when Tarver was the HEAD COACH and HEAD COACH HE WAS. 

THere has been a culture change......and its due to most of the parents of these spoiled children.  PARENTS stop brown nosing with the coach, super, school board members, etc, etc.  Super, principal, school board members, parents......stay out of the coaches ear.  You hired the guy to do a job, he's gonna do the best he can with what he knows and has avaliable to him.  He didn't take the job to lose, he took the job to turn the program around and win. 
all you parents think lil johnny is an all star......sorry but most of you are all wrong.....  your children are going to fail sometimes and get replaced sometimes.....let them.....its a life lesson.  in the real world you don't do your job you get fired and replaced or demoted.....its life....let it happen

if you got beat out of a spot then you were good enough, so train harder and give more effort, be smarter and you can win your spot back.
This stuff didn't happen near as much when Tarver was coaching....
[/quote]Amen to that, that is what I am talking about. Allot of the kids that played under Danaher & Tarver, myself included did not necessarily like them sometimes, but we were taught by our parents to respect them. We as parents have to be realistic about our children and understand that even though we may think LIL Johnny is the best, that does not make it so. I think that is why the American that I knew is breaking down, to many kids not be being taught at home to be God fearing and respectful. I attended our Homecoming parade last year and one of the Fire Trucks drove by with some of the FB boys riding on it. In a show of school Spirit I yelled out to them "YOU BETTER WIN FRIDAY NIGHT" what I got in response still haunts me to this day. One of the boys grabbed his crotch and made a gesture that I am sure everyone knows. He did this in front of my wife and kids and If I could have got to him or identified him I probably would have hurt him. You would not have seen that type behavior from the generation I grew up with.

You can't get down on a new coach after his first game. He has to start his program and gradually make changes, he has to learn more about the kids personally and athletically. When in Westbrook's first year one of the best coaches ever in this area started out the season with a loosing record and went on to win state after he learned the right combinations of the kids. The coach has to have the school and parents support and more importantly the kids respect. Sometimes you have to sit a kid on the bench to get their attention. Even though it is not the popular decision the coach has to make them and the parent has to support it and let their kid know to work harder to regain their position.

Including this year, these seniors have seen the varsity compile a 4-28 record since 2009. You have the audacity to question the new head coach after one game? What were you expecting? Don’t you think you need to let the man do his job? The freshman QB is coming off an undefeated 8th grade season leading his team in beating everyone including WOS and Silsbee. He is probably a lot more confident than some of the seniors right now. If he does take over the starting job at QB then I would say HF has hired a very gutsy head coach that is not afraid to go against common belief. Yes the senior was good a QB, but it seems to me the freshman could be great. I was a 4 year starter on varsity, there was a player that graduated last year that was a 4 year starter on varsity, and got a scholarship to Columbia. It can be done, and HF has the perfect coach to develop the future leader of the team. By the time he is a junior and Senior he will be experiencing undefeated seasons again. Just support the team…..
Let the program develop.

[quote name="ParDreamer" post="1260789" timestamp="1346811241"]
Maybe Splendora was a little better than HF expected. We will see in a couple of weeks. Someone told me the Wildcats won their last three games last year with a move in QB and couple nice sized lineman.
[/quote]IMHO they were. The Splendora boys were a disciplined enthusiastic group with descent size & speed. I think our boys came in a to flat. I think they were over confident they would win the game, somebody forgot to tell them they had to play it first.

The past culture and success of HF football during the Tarver era took years to develop.  During those years, the coaches and the system were the same.  That continuity and patience allowed the development to run it's course.  I see the community support returning more every day.  It's going to take time, patience, and continuity for the culture to fully return.  Give the man time to do his job.

P.S.  As I recall, Tarver wasn't the most popular man in town.  There were similar controversies back then, but he was given the time to build a program.

[quote name="jenks" post="1260861" timestamp="1346829300"]
Including this year, these seniors have seen the varsity compile a 4-28 record since 2009. You have the audacity to question the new head coach after one game? What were you expecting? Don’t you think you need to let the man do his job? The freshman QB is coming off an undefeated 8th grade season leading his team in beating everyone including WOS and Silsbee. He is probably a lot more confident than some of the seniors right now. If he does take over the starting job at QB then I would say HF has hired a very gutsy head coach that is not afraid to go against common belief. Yes the senior was good a QB, but it seems to me the freshman could be great. I was a 4 year starter on varsity, there was a player that graduated last year that was a 4 year starter on varsity, and got a scholarship to Columbia. It can be done, and HF has the perfect coach to develop the future leader of the team. By the time he is a junior and Senior he will be experiencing undefeated seasons again. Just support the team…..
Let the program develop.
[/quote]

I would be very careful on pinning your hopes based on an undefeated "8th grade" season. Too many times I have seen undefeated middle school teams turn into 5-5, 4-6 varsity teams. You have to remember, that's just one class that went undefeated. Varsity ball is a combination of at least 2 classes and at the 3A level, usually 3 classes (12th, 11th, 10th). Too many things can happen in 3 years time.

Also, I too have seen freshman play on varsity, but it is rare and even more rare to have a freshman start at QB. 8th grade ball is a far cry from varsity ball.

I have seen King play at middle school. Great athlete, very impressive. But it just seems too soon to be throwing him into the fire. I could see the young man be on varsity in a different role (RB, WR, DB, LB) but QB is a very tough situation to be put into. Particularly when you have a senior QB who started last year and had good numbers.

I am not promoting either player, but it just seems very odd with the change of QB. Pretty bold move if you ask me. Hope it works out but I am skeptical and I bet there are many others who are too. ;)

That coach knows that over the last few years HF has lost it's athletes because the community keeps firing their coaches. By moving them up as freshman he basically makes transfer impossible. They would have to sit out a year. Those caliber of kids do not want to do that so they are forced to stay there. Coach is a smart man. Certain people in the community, not so much.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder