Lamar vs Vermont play in game! Winner gets NC

I have been reading through the comments on various website about Pat Knights "Rant".  Most negative some positive but here are the facts.  The six games before the "rant" Lamar was avg 70.1 PPG and Opponents 65.8 PPG. The six games since, Lamar 72 PPG and Opponents 57.3.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest basketball25
nor st beat drexel and tcu, lost to marq by 2, but those 2 wins are the reason why they are ahead of lamar, detroit beat butler, valpo, and clev st, and they also lost to notre dame by 6, alabama by 8,and miss st by 5. The body of work in a whole is better than lamars and thats for nor st and detroit!!! also detroit conf rpi is 14 out of 33 conf and lamar is 28 out of 33, vermont is 30 out of 33 but drexel wins and tcu is what makes the resume a little better than lamar didn't have a quality win and to be honest with you the ncaa isn't stupid because the lamar game will get big time ratings with pat knight and with everything that has been going on, I think it was a smart move by them

Guest basketball25
[quote name="baseball25" post="1195958" timestamp="1331514850"]
nor st beat drexel and tcu, lost to marq by 2, but those 2 wins are the reason why they are ahead of lamar, detroit beat butler, valpo, and clev st, and they also lost to notre dame by 6, alabama by 8,and miss st by 5. The body of work in a whole is better than lamars and thats for nor st and detroit!!! also detroit conf rpi is 14 out of 33 conf and lamar is 28 out of 33, vermont is 30 out of 33 but drexel wins and tcu is what makes the resume a little better than lamar, because lamar didn't have a quality win or top 100 win
[/quote]

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1195931" timestamp="1331509444"]
I'm really proud for Lamar, this year, but I'm sorry, if you win your conference, you should be automatically in the Tournament. What is this "play in" BS? Lamar has 23 wins! The last time they made the tournament, they got in with a 15-15 record! This is totally disrespectful to Lamar, IMO! The NCAA selection committee is a joke, plain and simple......and I hope Lamar crushes Vermont!
[/quote]

Last time LU made the tourney there was no playin game. And LU was the 64th seed then! Yes LU has 23 wins, but who did we beat and we lost 11 to teams like Nicholls!!!

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=97389.msg1195953#msg1195953 date=1331514158]
But what I don't get is how Norfolk State and Detroit get 15 seeds when neither team won the regular season, just their tourneys.  Neither team really has a marquee win, but they do have some solid wins which Lamar does not.  I think what hurt Lamar is going 0-6 against top-100 teams and having some bad losses in conference (like to Nicholls State).
[/quote]
Lamar was the 3 seed in the SLC!

The committee got it right. Take off your Cardinal Red glasses and you will see it. I happen to agree that the AQ's should not have to play in these extra games, but until they change the rules it will be what it is. The rule will never change since its not in the best interest of the NCAA power conferences (where the big money is).

Now lets focus on Vermont! Should be a great matchup.

Thats right and McNeese or an other Southland team would love to be in Lamar's position.  And speaking of McNeese, did anyone else hear about the Lake Charles paper referring to Beaumont as that "hick town down the road"? Or something to that effect.

This is BS!!! Yall can suger coat it all yall want. If you win your tournament you should be in peroid, no play in games. If you want to know who Lamar beat, they beat the team in the championship game to get an automatic bid. All a play in game is, is a game to get to the number sixteeth seed and a tournament champoinship winner with an automatic entry should not have to play a game just to see if they can be a sexteeth seed. SMH!!!

[quote name="badndn" post="1195966" timestamp="1331516702"]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=97389.msg1195931#msg1195931 date=1331509444]
I'm really proud for Lamar, this year, but I'm sorry, if you win your conference, you should be automatically in the Tournament. What is this "play in" BS? Lamar has 23 wins! The last time they made the tournament, they got in with a 15-15 record! This is totally disrespectful to Lamar, IMO! The NCAA selection committee is a joke, plain and simple......and I hope Lamar crushes Vermont!
[/quote]

Last time LU made the tourney there was no playin game. And LU was the 64th seed then! Yes LU has 23 wins, but who did we beat and we lost 11 to teams like Nicholls!!!

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=97389.msg1195953#msg1195953 date=1331514158]
But what I don't get is how Norfolk State and Detroit get 15 seeds when neither team won the regular season, just their tourneys.  Neither team really has a marquee win, but they do have some solid wins which Lamar does not.  I think what hurt Lamar is going 0-6 against top-100 teams and having some bad losses in conference (like to Nicholls State).
[/quote]
Lamar was the 3 seed in the SLC!

The committee got it right. Take off your Cardinal Red glasses and you will see it. I happen to agree that the AQ's should not have to play in these extra games, but until they change the rules it will be what it is. The rule will never change since its not in the best interest of the NCAA power conferences (where the big money is).

Now lets focus on Vermont! Should be a great matchup.
[/quote]
I didn't say Lamar should be a 15 seed instead of those two teams.  I was looking at the RPIs and records and was wondering why they were 15 seeds over some of the 16 seeds.

I think the committee got it right. Lamar in a "first round" game is where they should be.

Like coachcola stated, a win over Vermont counts as a tournament win.

The comparison of Lamar to Harvard is very funny. Harvard clearly had the better season and certainly deserved a better seed than Lamar.

[quote name="LamarTech" post="1195945" timestamp="1331512948"]
"Harvard beat Florida State, UCF, Utah, and St Joes...as tough of a schedule as Lamar's".......

...as tough of a schedule as Ohio St, Kentucky and Louisville...??????????  Huh????
[/quote]

Florida St is better than Louisville, and almost as good as Ohio St.  UCF, Utah, and St. Joes are all good or decent.  and Lamar got spanked by those good teams in their tough schedule.  it's not like they were competitive in those games.  don't be silly.  Harvard beats a really good team and some good teams, and you want to give lamar more credit for losing by a lot to some really good teams?

The tough non-conference schedule didn't help a whole lot in the end as far as seeding and that was to be expected since we didn't win any of those games, but what it did do is better prepare this group for what is to come in the Tourney. they shouldn't be overwhelmed after playing at UK, at OhSt, and at Louisville. Also that OT loss to Ohio would have been a big plus had they been able to pull it off.

I can count about 4 or 5 games LU should have or could have won had they had there heads on straight like they do now. 28-6 with W's over Ohio, GMason and TCU would have garnered a 15 seed.

And Coachacola I wasn't necessarily calling you out specifically, I was just calling all LU fans out for not being realistic.

[quote name="baseball25" post="1196058" timestamp="1331560951"]
Actually Utah was one of the worse teams in nation this yr
[/quote]
Not as bad as Nicholls! ;D

Guest basketball25
If Lamar would have beat tcu or mason they would have gotten a 15 seed, if they would have went 2-1 maybe a 14 seed, if Lamar doesn't lose to northwestern st and nic st they get a 15, bec both of those teams rpi over 215, win those games Lamar rpi around 85-90 instead of 108

[quote name="baseball25" post="1196061" timestamp="1331561530"]
Lol but close Utah rpi 274 and nic st 298 lol lol
[/quote]
Whats the biggest difference...Harvard beat Utah, We lost to Nicholls.
[quote author=baseball25 link=topic=97389.msg1196063#msg1196063 date=1331561658]
If Lamar would have beat tcu or mason they would have gotten a 15 seed, if they would have went 2-1 maybe a 14 seed
[/quote]
The bigger win would have been Ohio. A W over Ohio alone might have gotten us out of the playin game as a straight 16.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1195899" timestamp="1331504909"]
What a slap in the face to Lamar.
[/quote]

I don't think Lamar or Pat Knight look at a first round game as a slap to the face.  The Southland Conference gets $250,000 for a first round game.  If Lamar beats Vermont and plays NC in a second round game, the Southland gets another $250,000 which they split with Lamar.  So if Lamar beats Vermont, they will get $125,000 that they would not have gotten as a 14 or 15 one and done seed.

Hate to sound like a whiner. I've worked for 1.40 /hr,but $125,000 wont pay for their travel expenses. Which leads to another beef of mine. Go to Dayton and win then you get to travel to NC and play them in a 'home' game while NC gets to hang round their home court for 3 days and get ready. Why not make LU  or Vermont wear ankle weights during the game too. Hey I am the eternal optimist, stay till the bitter end, hope against hope kind of guy. It will be a historical win comparable to the shot by Laetner?sp and the win by NC state if they(LU or Vt.) beat NC. 

[quote name="ndn2016" post="1196241" timestamp="1331583755"]
Hate to sound like a whiner. I've worked for 1.40 /hr,but $125,000 wont pay for their travel expenses. Which leads to another beef of mine. Go to Dayton and win then you get to travel to NC and play them in a 'home' game while NC gets to hang round their home court for 3 days and get ready. Why not make LU  or Vermont wear ankle weights during the game too. Hey I am the eternal optimist, stay till the bitter end, hope against hope kind of guy. It will be a historical win comparable to the shot by Laetner?sp and the win by NC state if they(LU or Vt.) beat NC.
[/quote]
Don't forget VCU made it to the final four last year as a playin 11 seed!
and $125K will more than pay for travel expenses!!! It will cost them less than $30K to make the trip to Dayton then NC including hotels airfare and meals.

[quote name="ndn2016" post="1196241" timestamp="1331583755"]
[/quote]

Wow!!! Travel costs more than $125,000??  Is BISD scheduling this trip???

[quote name="BadMedicine" post="1196254" timestamp="1331586895"]
[quote author=ndn2016 link=topic=97389.msg1196241#msg1196241 date=1331583755]
[/quote]
Wow!!! Travel costs more than $125,000??  Is BISD scheduling this trip???
[/quote]
I believe the NCAA pays travel expenses.

I don't mind the play-in or first round game.  A 16 seed is a 16 seed no matter how you slice it.  Lamar could either be an automatic 16 seed and be the sacrificial lamb for a Number 1 seed and be one and done or you can get the play-in game and have a realistic shot to at least win a game in the tournament.  Get the win against Vermont, cap off the season, and then play North Carolina and increase the exposure for the program.  If Lamar continues to get in the tournament under Coach Knight, they won't always be a 16 seed or relegated to the play-in game.  The future looks bright for the program and any tournament win with this group of players is icing on the cake. 

"Wow!!! Travel costs more than $125,000??  Is BISD scheduling this trip???"

Love it! Best line in this thread!

And I guess I'll give up on dissing Harvard...except it still bothers me that they don't have to win a tournament and we do. Anything can happen in a tourney...look at the Washington Huskies...won the PAC-12 regular season then lost in the tourney and they didn't even get a play-in game. So seems a bit unfair to let Harvard in for winning the conference and not the Huskies who did the same. I realize that is not quite apples to apples, but I think if the Ivy League doesn't want a tournament that's fine, but the seeding of their regular season champion should consider that in a negative light.

Guest basketball25
21-10  washington RPI is 71, 4-8 against top 100,  100-200, they are 17-2

25-4 Harvard RPI 35, 5-3 against top 100,    100-200, they are 20-1

Harvard has a better resume and  best win they had was fsu with a rpi of 11, washington best win is oregon rpi of 63, the resume from top to bottom harvard has it!!!! Harvard would have got in if they didn't win the ivy league, washington didn't get in because they didn't have the resume to get in!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• The problem as well as that all of the social justice warriors, influencers, and instigators repeat these lies in the immediate days after the event, garnering outrage.  But when they're proven false they never go back and rescind their outrage-causing posts, they just move on to the next one.
    • I just find it really hard to believe that Trump will select a VP based on the votes they bring him.  He's going to want a Trumper that will affirm his every move and stoke his ego.  I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I doubt it.  And as you said, in these battle ground states a few tenths of a % point may be enough to swing the whole election.  Trump can't afford a VP who will cost him votes (Noem would cost him full points, not just tenths), but also needs a candidate that will bring in as many votes as possible.  So hopefully whichever Trump disciple he chooses has some political appeal to swing voters.
    • Good news for this district is for the next two seasons your bi district opposition shouldn’t be much of a challenge… Royal may be better next year but other than that the district is pretty rough… Very good chance that it’s a clean sweep though
    • It’s terrible no matter what happened. I am always concerned with the news media and social media outright lies or incorrect information that is put out, maybe in a rush to be first. Watching the video, it is easy to see that some of the earlier claims are simply nonsense. The officer might be cleared or he might face trial but we should be disgusted with the misinformation. Having been on scene or shortly after an officer involved shooting three times, I can say that some information that comes out is a complete fabrication. This is a horrible situation no matter who was at fault. I wish that the nonsensical false information would stop. That won’t happen…..  
    • Trump walks to the beat of a different drummer so he could very likely pick a person that is on no one’s radar. Going by typical political logic, assuming that a VP pick might bring 0.5%-1% votes, who should it be? A half to one percent is not much but in a potentially razor thin election, a couple of thousand votes in a state could decide the presidency. Biden won AZ by just over 10,000 votes. The most recent Beaumont mayoral election, where almost no one votes, had over 15,000 votes cast. In GA it was 12,000 votes and Biden did not even get 50%. In WI it was 20,000 and again Biden didn’t get to 50%.  There are other states in that area of percent point difference. How important? If any two AZ, GA and WI flip, Trump would have won. So while the VP probably never matters…. can it this time? I think that it could. What then does the VP pick bring to the table? FL and SC were both won by Trump in 2020 so a favored son vote for Rubio or Scott won’t help Trump. Both are in a fairly comfortable position within the conservative community so they will neither hurt nor help with strong conservative voters.  What about the few fence riders that could and likely will determine the election by either sticking with Biden or switching from the last election? What about the people who did not vote in the last election, but may come out to vote in this one just to support the VP candidate? Could Scott sway a percentage point or two from Black support? Could Rubio help draw a percentage point or two of Hispanic support? Possibly on both counts. Like I already mentioned, they won’t help in their own states because Trump already won those in 2020. I personally think that either would actually do a good job as president (although VP picks are about the politics of being elected and not the “best” possible president) and might be the difference in a few votes but a few votes more is all that is needed.  Or…. My outlier, Tulsi Gabbard.  She had some decent support when are ran for the presidency in the Democrat primary. Could some people follow her because they support her and not necessarily the party? I’m sure that’s true for all candidates. Could she bring female support? As a strong mentally and physically person and a member of the military who was deployed into a combat zone into Iraq. Then she went to OCS and became an officer, then deployed to Kuwait. Can that military history, including deployment into a war swing some votes? As of late, she has been on a one person tirade against Biden and the Democrats. Let’s remember that Ronald Reagan was a Democrat and so was Texas governor John Connally. Connally was not only a Democrat governor in Texas but also Secretary of the Navy under JFK. Both ended up switching to the Republican Party so there is a fairly strong history of former Democrats switching parties and being successful, all the way up to the presidency. Gabbard is a pretty fiery campaigner and doesn’t mince her words. She would really be a thorn in the Democrats’ hopes and has the inside knowledge of the party. Could she potentially swing more votes than Scott or Rubio? I think so. But…. I don’t think that Trump would pick her and I’m not sure that she would accept if offered. Her odds of being Trump's pick are at about 1%.  Scott or Rubio at about 10%. Trump being Trump, will choose someone who no one has ever heard of. 
  • Topics