I hate the spread offense

I thought the field went North and South after watching the spread all I see is East and West running plays. I've been to 4 games this year of 5A-4A football and I'm still waiting to hear some pads hit and see a hit that makes you stand up in the crowd. Like when a LB destroys a ISO play on the goalline. back went football was hitting and not hand fighting 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mypooh" post="1053700" timestamp="1315627343"]
I thought the field went North and South after watching the spread all I see is East and West running plays. I've been to 4 games this year of 5A-4A football and I'm still waiting to hear some pads hit and see a hit that makes you stand up in the crowd. Like when a LB destroys a ISO play on the goalline. back went football was hitting and not hand fighting
[/quote]

Another good post.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1053689" timestamp="1315626886"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=87848.msg1052897#msg1052897 date=1315603075]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=87848.msg1051776#msg1051776 date=1315464991]
Saying that people aren't as in good of shape is preposterous, those work out programs you did in high school are done in middle school, the ones they do in highschool (at least good schools) are several steps above any strength and conditioning programs from 20 years ago, we simply know more about athletes and their bodies. Watch the spread attack when its ran in fast pace, it will wear out a defense in 5 plays everyone running to a line, that takes tremendous stamina.

I think this is a "i miss the old days" moment and is an illusion. Not likeing the offense because you feel the passing ability in highschool is not good enough to run it correctly or you don't like side schemes in the running game, or whatever is something different. This is just a whining session that is "i wish it was 20-30 years ago, nothing less.
[/quote]

I agree Coug, you want life in the 80's, find a time machine...
[/quote]

What do you mean Gas??? It was the 70's. LOL!!!!!! Also by us having jobs during the summer it taught us the value of a dollar and responsibility along with hard work. I would venture to say that if more kids would have a job at a young age. This world would be in better shape instead of being spoiled and lazy. You don't see many kids from the 70's or 80's still mooching off their parents or their parents raising their kids. I would say yes we need a time machine to bring back morals and respectablity to this country.
[/quote]
::)

Yes lets all go back to the 60s and 70s when we had "morals". When we had a president killed, draft dodgers galore, "peace" activist who blew up things, hippies running wild, watergate, a gas shortage, a president who couldn't save some hostages in iran, and smasmouth football. ahh the good old days.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1053717" timestamp="1315627879"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=87848.msg1053689#msg1053689 date=1315626886]
Saying that people aren't as in good of shape is preposterous, those work out programs you did in high school are done in middle school, the ones they do in highschool (at least good schools) are several steps above any strength and conditioning programs from 20 years ago, we simply know more about athletes and their bodies. Watch the spread attack when its ran in fast pace, it will wear out a defense in 5 plays everyone running to a line, that takes tremendous stamina.

I think this is a "i miss the old days" moment and is an illusion. Not likeing the offense because you feel the passing ability in highschool is not good enough to run it correctly or you don't like side schemes in the running game, or whatever is something different. This is just a whining session that is "i wish it was 20-30 years ago, nothing less.
[/quote]

[/quote]

What do you mean Gas??? It was the 70's. LOL!!!!!! Also by us having jobs during the summer it taught us the value of a dollar and responsibility along with hard work. I would venture to say that if more kids would have a job at a young age. This world would be in better shape instead of being spoiled and lazy. You don't see many kids from the 70's or 80's still mooching off their parents or their parents raising their kids. I would say yes we need a time machine to bring back morals and respectablity to this country.
[/quote]

Yes lets all go back to the 60s and 70s when we had "morals". When we had a president killed, draft dodgers galore, "peace" activist who blew up things, hippies running wild, watergate, a gas shortage, a president who couldn't save some hostages in iran, and smasmouth football. ahh the good old days.
[/quote]

Golden post +1

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1053714" timestamp="1315627724"]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=87848.msg1053700#msg1053700 date=1315627343]
[/quote]

Another good post.
[/quote]

O so thats how Crosby got those 600+ rushing yards this season....

[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=87848.msg1053689#msg1053689 date=1315626886]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

::) Well first off I graduated in 1980 and today is any better? 14 million out of work, Half the population does not pay taxes, More people on welfare than ever, Young people don't get married so the government can pay for the baby to be born plus food stamps, diapers, formula, cheese, should I go on. Atleast some of us were reponsible for our own actions.  Yes, they was the good ole days when kids played outside, neighborhood football, basketball and baseball games. We was not in the AC playing X-Box eating twinkie's or ding dongs while drinking a coke or should I say entergy drink. 

The spread offense is a joke to me. I am probably in the minority in this way of thinking. I believe you should be balance on offense. You should be able to run the ball and be able to get the ball downfield in the pass game. However, the game is won in the trenches. When my offensive tackle is in a two point stance for the majority of the game and my offensive line spends majority of the time on it's heel pass blocking that's when I have problem. It's 3rd and 2 and you have four wide receivers on the field and you pass the ball. That is a problem. When you have a lead and you are trying to run the clock and you are still passing the rock because you cannot run it. That is a problem. Football is meant to be a physical that is why you have pads and a helmet on. The spread is a gimmick like the run and shoot. When it meets a good defense it will always fail. Katy beat the hell out of North Shore's spread offense which includes speed and plenty of talent. Another example is how LSU broke out their belt and beat Oregon back to the West Coast. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait there is more like Corporate America going overseas with all the jobs or Companies getting bought by another company and the CEO leaving gets 100 million for leaving but 20,000 people lose their jobs in the process or CEO's getting a bonus that's way more than their salary. Not to mention a CEO who's company was a fortune 100 but goes bankrupt and thousands of hard working Americans lose their job's and struggle to make it while he and his family are living the good life. Wow, yes times are better now day's. I am sure it happened back in my day also but not at this magnitude. Back on topic, watch the NFL and you will see that kids don't wrap up anymore. It is a joke, they try to hit someone but they don't tackle. FUNDAMENTALS enough said.

[quote name="J.T. Williams" post="1053809" timestamp="1315631746"]
The spread offense is a joke to me. I am probably in the minority in this way of thinking. I believe you should be balance on offense. You should be able to run the ball and be able to get the ball downfield in the pass game. However, the game is won in the trenches. When my offensive tackle is in a two point stance for the majority of the game and my offensive line spends majority of the time on it's heel pass blocking that's when I have problem. It's 3rd and 2 and you have four wide receivers on the field and you pass the ball. That is a problem. When you have a lead and you are trying to run the clock and you are still passing the rock because you cannot run it. That is a problem. Football is meant to be a physical that is why you have pads and a helmet on. The spread is a gimmick like the run and shoot. When it meets a good defense it will always fail. Katy beat the heck out of North Shore's spread offense which includes speed and plenty of talent. Another example is how LSU broke out their belt and beat Oregon back to the West Coast.
[/quote]

You are correct JT. My youngest brother played for Lamargue in 1986. He was QB and they ran the run and shoot. Hugh Massey was their coach. Lamarque was 5A back then. To make a long story short, Lamarque played Plano in the state championship game. The run and shoot got shot, Plano motored up and down the field like a well oiled machine with a mixture of run and pass but mostly run.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1052897" timestamp="1315603075"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name="robanadana" post="1053831" timestamp="1315634172"]
I really think it depends on the kids you have. Liberty Hill won state in 2006 / 07 using the Slot T. Spread offenses can be dealt with if you have some speed on defence.....I love the Slot T because noone knows where your big bruising fullback is going until he pops up under you facemask.
[/quote]

I do agree because you never know who has the ball but it is boring. You have to mix a little passing in there. Balance is the key.  The slot T does make the game go by fast though. LOL!!!!!!

[quote name="robanadana" post="1053831" timestamp="1315634172"]
I really think it depends on the kids you have. Liberty Hill won state in 2006 / 07 using the Slot T. Spread offenses can be dealt with if you have some speed on defence.....I love the Slot T because noone knows where your big bruising fullback is going until he pops up under you facemask.
[/quote]

I love the slot-t because when it is executed correctly it gives defenses fits. Vidor runs it pretty good but not perfectly, if you ever get a chance to watch a team that runs it to perfection it is magic.

[quote name="VPirate" post="1053842" timestamp="1315635389"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=87848.msg1053831#msg1053831 date=1315634172]
[/quote]

I love the slot-t because when it is executed correctly it gives defenses fits. Vidor runs it pretty good but not perfectly, if you ever get a chance to watch a team that runs it to perfection it is magic.
[/quote]

Bridge City ran it to perfection under Les Johnson.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1053752" timestamp="1315628837"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=87848.msg1053717#msg1053717 date=1315627879]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

::) Well first off I graduated in 1980 and today is any better? 14 million out of work, [u]Half the population does not pay taxes[/u], [s]More people on welfare than ever[/s], [s]Young people don't get married so the government can pay for the baby to be born plus food stamps, diapers, formula, cheese,[/s] should I go on. Atleast some of us were reponsible for our own actions.  Yes, they was the good ole days when kids played outside, neighborhood football, basketball and baseball games. We was not in the AC playing X-Box eating twinkie's or ding dongs while drinking a coke or should I say entergy drink.
[/quote]

underlined things are because of the 80's, and the strikethroughs happened in the 80's as well or are simply statistically false.

"The unemployment rate continued to rise to a peak of 10.8% by late 1982, but dropped well under 6% unemployment at the end of Reagan's presidency in January 1989.[60] of the Reagan Administration often point to the fact that the gap between those in the upper socioeconomic levels and those in the lower socioeconomic levels increased during Reagan's presidency; they also note that the federal debt spawned by his policies tripled (from $930 billion in 1981 to $2.6 trillion in 1988), reaching record levels.[61] Though debt almost always increased under every president in the latter half of the 20th century, it declined as a percentage of GDP under all Presidents after 1950 and prior to Reagan. In addition to the fiscal deficits, the U.S. started to have large trade deficits. Also it was during his second term that the Tax Reform Act of 1986 was passed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_States#Deregulation_and_Reaganomics:_1976.E2.80.931992

Sound pretty much like today... just different economic system. and we are in year 3 not year 8. but i dunno.
I would also like to know why me playing xbox and eating (not twinkies or ding dongs what is this the 80's?) and drinking my ENERGY drink although i'm interested in what an entergy drink is.

And why is everyone mad at my video games? is it because you never got any and your parents told you to get lost? so u did?

[quote name="J.T. Williams" post="1053809" timestamp="1315631746"]
The spread offense is a joke to me. I am probably in the minority in this way of thinking. I believe you should be balance on offense. You should be able to run the ball and be able to get the ball downfield in the pass game. However, the game is won in the trenches. When my offensive tackle is in a two point stance for the majority of the game and my offensive line spends majority of the time on it's heel pass blocking that's when I have problem. It's 3rd and 2 and you have four wide receivers on the field and you pass the ball. That is a problem. When you have a lead and you are trying to run the clock and you are still passing the rock because you cannot run it. That is a problem. Football is meant to be a physical that is why you have pads and a helmet on. The spread is a gimmick like the run and shoot. When it meets a good defense it will always fail. Katy beat the heck out of North Shore's spread offense which includes speed and plenty of talent. Another example is how LSU broke out their belt and beat Oregon back to the West Coast.
[/quote]

Preach!!!!!!!!!  Katy Tigers:  3-4 Defense and the I-Formation...

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1053752" timestamp="1315628837"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=87848.msg1053717#msg1053717 date=1315627879]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

::) Well first off I graduated in 1980 and today is any better? 14 million out of work, Half the population does not pay taxes, More people on welfare than ever, Young people don't get married so the government can pay for the baby to be born plus food stamps, diapers, formula, cheese, should I go on. Atleast some of us were reponsible for our own actions.  Yes, they was the good ole days when kids played outside, neighborhood football, basketball and baseball games. We was not in the AC playing X-Box eating twinkie's or ding dongs while drinking a coke or should I say entergy drink.
[/quote]

Im not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying every generation has its problems. When you were growing up the older generation talked about how lazy you were and how you had no morals or direction too. Not everybody today is lazy and irresponsible, but if you have a problem with this generation maybe you should blame your generation for not raising them the right way.

BTW LT spread offence 4 consecutive state championships(who else has done that recently?), slc 3 straight state championships, Oregon spread offence and almost lead the country in rushing, Nevada runs the pistol(similar to the spread) and leads the country in rushing almost every year. You keep saying you have to be balenced, but you can be alot more balenced in the spread than in the wing t or slot t. Spread isn't a gimick the only reason you don't see it that often in the nfl is because the hash marks are not as wide as they are in college or high school.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1053895" timestamp="1315649988"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=87848.msg1053752#msg1053752 date=1315628837]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying every generation has its problems. When you were growing up the older generation talked about how lazy you were and how you had no morals or direction too. Not everybody today is lazy and irresponsible, but if you have a problem with this generation maybe you should blame your generation for not raising them the right way.

BTW LT spread offence 4 consecutive state championships(who else has done that recently?), slc 3 straight state championships, Oregon spread offence and almost lead the country in rushing, Nevada runs the pistol(similar to the spread) and leads the country in rushing almost every year. You keep saying you have to be balenced, but you can be alot more balenced in the spread than in the wing t or slot t. Spread isn't a gimick the only reason you don't see it that often in the nfl is because the hash marks are not as wide as they are in college or high school.
[/quote]

I agree with the first statement, did not mean to categorize all young people of today. I think coaches should run an offense that best fits their personel on the field. I will say this, I am not a big fan of zone blocking. It is kind of like a zone defense in basketball it tends to make you lazy.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Bottom Line:  Successful coaches run whatever offense allows them the greatest chance to win.  Stop them and they are no longer successful.  We all remember (well, at least us old guys) the hey-day of the Wishbone.  Pretty boring but extremely successful......until defenses learned to stop it.  Then the Veer.  Same story.  I love the I-formation but not many teams run it.  I fully expect the Spread to morph into whatever might be the next "cool offense" over the next 10 years.  It always happens. Then we will occasionally see the resurrection of an "old" offense i.e. the Slot T.  Coaches are often "victims" of their particular generation of thinking.  Many today have been "raised" on the spread just like many of mine were "raised" on the Veer.  This too shall pass. ;)

I just want to see how many schools running the spread ( 4/5WR sets) even have 2 good WR? The rest of the WR are out there blocking and running decoy routes. It kills the kids from learning the game too. The spread is nothing more then a Run N Shoot or the Fun N Gun as Steve Spurrier called it back in his days at Florida. Crosby Cougars talking about they have 600 yards rushing on the season. How many of those yards came last night vs. Dawson ?

[quote name="mypooh" post="1054242" timestamp="1315692458"]
I just want to see how many schools running the spread ( 4/5WR sets) even have 2 good WR? The rest of the WR are out there blocking and running decoy routes. It kills the kids from learning the game too. The spread is nothing more then a Run N Shoot or the Fun N Gun as Steve Spurrier called it back in his days at Florida. Crosby Cougars talking about they have 600 yards rushing on the season. How many of those yards came last night vs. Dawson ?
[/quote]
260 of them.

o and its 761 yard rushing this year through three games. last 2 games have accounted for most of them. Montgomery's defense must be good =P.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1053895" timestamp="1315649988"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=87848.msg1053752#msg1053752 date=1315628837]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Baytown lee and sterling ran spread last year and you talk about boring! Try H.I.S.D. schools run the spread...boring. a center who can't snap the ball 5yds. A QB that can't pass the ball 5 yds down the field and WR that couldn't run a route with a Garmin attached to their visors. Its quite the entertaining chinese fire drill they have out there.  But hey, lose games how ever you choose.

[quote name="LP0175" post="1054611" timestamp="1315723052"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=87848.msg1053895#msg1053895 date=1315649988]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Baytown lee and sterling ran spread last year and you talk about boring! Try H.I.S.D. schools run the spread...boring. a center who can't snap the ball 5yds. A QB that can't pass the ball 5 yds down the field and WR that couldn't run a route with a Garmin attached to their visors. Its quite the entertaining chinese fire drill they have out there.  But hey, lose games how ever you choose.
[/quote]

Like they said before the spread isnt for everyone, but if you have the athletes and personal to run it then why not?

[quote name="mypooh" post="1054605" timestamp="1315721394"]
OK Mr. Coug I'm going to have to drive down there, and check this running game spread out. When ya'll play Dayton ?
[/quote]

2nd to last game of the season. I don't expect anything but to be able to run the football and put 21 up. normally 27-28 sometimes more.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder