I hate the spread offense

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1051520" timestamp="1315429453"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=87848.msg1051517#msg1051517 date=1315429313]
The spread isn't for everyone, ask Nederland.
[/quote]I think Nederland ran a really good spread offense.
[/quote]Not like PNG and Memorial is doing it.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1051503" timestamp="1315428668"]
I hate the spread as well. [b] Football is won and lost in the trenches. [/b] Let those hogs run block and win you the game.  Let them still work when running screen passes.  They also get some of that run blocking when doing playaction passes.  Now THAT'S footall.  Not that sandlot stuff they love to do now. 
[/quote]

I agree Soulja.......An offense is only as good as its offensive line and a defense with a good defensive line, and mediocre athletes at all other positions will beat the offense with a poor offensive line, and absolute studs every else. And if you have the depth for rotation on the line.....lights out parties over.

It is very hard to win a game if you get dominated on both sides of the trenches.

[quote name="outanup" post="1051543" timestamp="1315431043"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=87848.msg1051517#msg1051517 date=1315429313]
The spread isn't for everyone, ask Nederland.
[/quote]

And how many Ned games have you attended while they were in the spread?
[/quote]Watched from the lovely confines of my computer. Not to mention the many PMs from some of their own fans showing their displeasure for it.

[quote name="football fan34" post="1051478" timestamp="1315426882"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=87848.msg1051119#msg1051119 date=1315369438]
[quote author=One4All link=topic=87848.msg1051110#msg1051110 date=1315368628]
[quote author=J.T. Williams link=topic=87848.msg1051068#msg1051068 date=1315363611]
My next question is why do every school have seven man sled and dont use it? I am starting to think that some high school coaches use it as football decorations.
[/quote] MOVE!!!!!......
You need to attend a school who has no speed ....then u will find your kind of high school football......I was in Big D. last yr and 99% of the school who Won  a state champions was in the SPREAD!!!
[/quote]

Smash mouth is old school and there is no school today that can hang with old school. We was in better shape, meaner, played harder, and had way more heart.  Just saying!!!!!!
[/quote]
we WAS in better shape huh? i hope the education today is better than your "old school" education
[/quote]

I was refering to past tense. Yes, education is better today but morals and respect are not.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
IMO you run the offense that suits your team. Plain and simple. If you have the big lineman you would be best suited running a smashmouth offense but if you have a fast qb who is good on his feet and fast tall receivers and a smaller line you would be best suited running the spread. Thats just how it is. IMO it looks like J.T. got out ran by a few guys and trying to lash it out on the spread  ::)  ;D

Saying that people aren't as in good of shape is preposterous, those work out programs you did in high school are done in middle school, the ones they do in highschool (at least good schools) are several steps above any strength and conditioning programs from 20 years ago, we simply know more about athletes and their bodies. Watch the spread attack when its ran in fast pace, it will wear out a defense in 5 plays everyone running to a line, that takes tremendous stamina.

I think this is a "i miss the old days" moment and is an illusion. Not likeing the offense because you feel the passing ability in highschool is not good enough to run it correctly or you don't like side schemes in the running game, or whatever is something different. This is just a whining session that is "i wish it was 20-30 years ago, nothing less.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1051776" timestamp="1315464991"]
Saying that people aren't as in good of shape is preposterous, those work out programs you did in high school are done in middle school, the ones they do in highschool (at least good schools) are several steps above any strength and conditioning programs from 20 years ago, we simply know more about athletes and their bodies. Watch the spread attack when its ran in fast pace, it will wear out a defense in 5 plays everyone running to a line, that takes tremendous stamina.

I think this is a "i miss the old days" moment and is an illusion. Not likeing the offense because you feel the passing ability in highschool is not good enough to run it correctly or you don't like side schemes in the running game, or whatever is something different. This is just a whining session that is "i wish it was 20-30 years ago, nothing less.
[/quote]

My gripe with the spread is, you have to have the personnel to run it. The great coaches will mold the offense around the talent he has on the field. You don't just wake up one morning and say I think I will run the spread. I have no problem with the spread if you have the personnel to run it. Some coaches insist on running it when they don't have the athlete's. As far as conditioning goes, depends on the coach, back when I was in school precautions were not taken like they are now because of the heat. During two a days it was full pads both sessions everyday. During the regular season it full pads till wednesday and shorts and shoulder pads on thursday. We did not have entergy drinks back then either. Because of all the deaths coaches cannot coach like they did 30 years ago. So in reality my gripe is not with the offense but with the coaches who insist on running it when they should not. No doubt the weight conditioning is better today. A lot of us did weight conditioning on our spare time because most of us had jobs during the summer.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1051836" timestamp="1315486325"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=87848.msg1051776#msg1051776 date=1315464991]

[/quote]

My gripe with the spread is, you have to have the personnel to run it. The great coaches will mold the offense around the talent he has on the field. You don't just wake up one morning and say I think I will run the spread. I have no problem with the spread if you have the personnel to run it. Some coaches insist on running it when they don't have the athlete's. As far as conditioning goes, depends on the coach, back when I was in school precautions were not taken like they are now because of the heat. During two a days it was full pads both sessions everyday. During the regular season it full pads till wednesday and shorts and shoulder pads on thursday. We did not have entergy drinks back then either. Because of all the deaths coaches cannot coach like they did 30 years ago. So in reality my gripe is not with the offense but with the coaches who insist on running it when they should not. No doubt the weight conditioning is better today. A lot of us did weight conditioning on our spare time because most of us had jobs during the summer.
[/quote]

Agreed if you don't ahve athletes don't run the spread. Bh figured that out. (no offense but u guys have more big boys than athletes)

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1051776" timestamp="1315464991"]

[/quote]

I agree Coug, you want life in the 80's, find a time machine...

[quote name="SFA85" post="1052939" timestamp="1315606167"]
Well since the modern male is more feminine, the spread-o fits right in with the current climate....
[/quote]

SFA, I'm older than you. Sometimes you gotta see the writing on the wall and be smart enough to understand what it means. Nothing stays the same, improvements are made in every facet of life. Football is no different.

I don't call being in a 4 or 5 WR set on the 5 yard line as improvements.  The siren song of the Spread O has set a many a program back along with sending serveral Olinemen to college not being able to fire off properly and many a QB to the pros having to learn to take snaps from center

Buddy let's not get ahead of ourselves. We can run the spread at PAM against Central and Ozen but our spread doesn't look the same against WB (9pts) LaPorte (14pts) and the GPNorthshore of the world. Hell we only scored 10 pts in last year playoff lost agaisnt Houston Memorial. 7 of that was on the first play of the game. I just think that we would be for more dangerous with a TE and FB to go along with that offensive line that avg about 270lb a cross the front come Nov and Dec when the weather it not always sunny.

[quote name="SFA85" post="1052955" timestamp="1315607150"]
I don't call being in a 4 or 5 WR set on the 5 yard line as improvements.  The siren song of the Spread O has set a many a program back along with sending serveral Olinemen to college not being able to fire off properly and many a QB to the pros having to learn to take snaps from center
[/quote]

Great post man, I could not agree more.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1052897" timestamp="1315603075"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=87848.msg1051776#msg1051776 date=1315464991]

[/quote]

I agree Coug, you want life in the 80's, find a time machine...
[/quote]

What do you mean Gas??? It was the 70's. LOL!!!!!! Also by us having jobs during the summer it taught us the value of a dollar and responsibility along with hard work. I would venture to say that if more kids would have a job at a young age. This world would be in better shape instead of being spoiled and lazy. You don't see many kids from the 70's or 80's still mooching off their parents or their parents raising their kids. I would say yes we need a time machine to bring back morals and respectablity to this country.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami