Nederland vs. West Orange-Stark Game Thread/Nederland wins!

EKURU

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1042601" timestamp="1314463019"]
I was at the game last night and take the bad officiating out of it,  WOS dominated the game.  Not sure about the offensive play calling.  Looks like the WOS coach is bound and determined to run that I formation when it was clear Nederland had no answer for the spread/pistol  all night.  That let the Dogs stay close which in the end cost them the game.  Never let a team like Nederland to stick around or you will fall victim to possible bad calls.  Refs stunk it up last night but WOS lost this game not the officials.  To bad because the Mustangs where playing great all night.

PS.  Mathews,  get the names of this crew and run from them.  They were as bad as the Bridge City crew from last year.  ;D ;D
[/quote]
I remember them. The mysterious questionable field goal  ::)

we have to get AWAY from the I!!! if we run the pistol/spread we will be fine, we remain hard headed and continue running what doesnt work we will be one and done come playoff time!  i thought part of the reason we started running the I was to give our defense more of a break yet it seems its having the opposite effect.  this almost seems like an ego thing for whichever coach that decided to start it... let it go!!!  JMO

[quote name="venom33" post="1042690" timestamp="1314470714"]
we have to get AWAY from the I!!! if we run the pistol/spread we will be fine, we remain hard headed and continue running what doesnt work we will be one and done come playoff time!  i thought part of the reason we started running the I was to give our defense more of a break yet it seems its having the opposite effect.  this almost seems like an ego thing for whichever coach that decided to start it... let it go!!!  JMO
[/quote]

Venom, we did not run out of the "I" after our first series of the game last night except for a couple of times when we had our backs to the goal line.

I appreciate everyone's opinions on here, and I want to thank the guys that make this site possible, and a big shout out to Mike Sanchez for coming on my show on Friday night. Now, as for my "agenda", or whatever some of you want to refer to it as, I'm not quite sure what that is, and if you know what my "agenda" is, please, let me know.

Now, I'll tell you what I do know.

I covered W-OS in 2007 as a reporter for the Enterprise, and I've followed the Mustangs on and off since. I've covered high school football since 2005 in four different states - Texas, Ohio, Missouri and Kansas. I know how passionate the fans are here, and West Orange Stark's tradition is as good a tradition as I've ever seen. I admire and respect that. I have absolutely no ill will towards Coach Thompson, never spoken to the man, and from all accounts, I've heard he's a fine man and a fine football coach. I've also had the opportunity to speak with Coach Foreman, and from all accounts, I've also heard he's a fine man and a fine football coach. Not to mention he's a helluva track coach to boot.

That said, IN my OPINION, and let me say again, my OPINION, and that's what these message boards are all about right? Airing and expressing our OPINIONS? I feel that Coach Foreman would have been the BEST man for the JOB. Plain and simple. That is not a slight on Coach Thompson in any way shape or form. Granted, it was one game, and perhaps I'm jumping the gun. But I also know that I saw a very average offense that has playmakers - and if I'm wrong, please let me know - basically go on cruise control instead of putting the game away, the defense was on the field an awful lot in that second half and it showed in the fourth quarter. Granted the secondary blew some assignments, but I digress. W-OS should've won that game.

For all the Coach Thompson supporters, I'm not against Coach T. And if the Mustangs turn around and win lots of games from here on out, and Coach T proves to be a great coach and the dominance at W-OS continues, then I'll have no problem saying I was wrong and my hats off to Coach T. But in the meantime, please don't tell me or others what my "agenda" is or that I'm "bashing" Coach Thompson simply because I don't think he was the right hire. Because truth be known, if he does prove to be the "right" hire, everyone on this board will let me know it, and I'm fine with it. But if he doesn't, and W-OS struggles, and in a year or two when the Mustangs are looking for another coach and wishing they hadn't let Coach Foreman get away, I'll probably be able to count on one finger the number of people that say I was right. But for the Mustangs sake, let's hope I'm not. Thanks again, I appreciate and enjoy the discussion, and tune in every Friday from 6-7 pm for Sports Talk with Fred Davis on 1300 AM here in Beaumont. Spirited discussion is always welcome.

Enjoy your weekends.

[quote name="TheFredDavis" post="1042707" timestamp="1314472282"]
I appreciate everyone's opinions on here, and I want to thank the guys that make this site possible, and a big shout out to Mike Sanchez for coming on my show on Friday night. Now, as for my "agenda", or whatever some of you want to refer to it as, I'm not quite sure what that is, and if you know what my "agenda" is, please, let me know.

I covered W-OS in 2007 as a reporter for the Enterprise, and I've followed the Mustangs on and off since. I've covered high school football since 2005 in four different states - Texas, Ohio, Missouri and Kansas. I know how passionate the fans are here, and West Orange Stark's tradition is as good a tradition as I've ever seen. I admire and respect that. I have absolutely no ill will towards Coach Thompson, never spoken to the man, and from all accounts, I've heard he's a fine man and a fine football coach. I've also had the opportunity to speak with Coach Foreman, and from all accounts, I've also heard he's a fine man and a fine football coach. Not to mention he's a helluva track coach to boot.

That said, IN my OPINION, and let me say again, my OPINION, and that's what these message boards are all about right? Airing and expressing our OPINIONS? I feel that Coach Foreman would have been the BEST man for the JOB. Plain and simple. That is not a slight on Coach Thompson in any way shape or form. Granted, it was one game, and perhaps I'm jumping the gun. But I also know that I saw a very average offense that has playmakers - and if I'm wrong, please let me know - basically go on cruise control instead of putting the game away, the defense was on the field an awful lot in that second half and it showed in the fourth quarter. Granted the secondary blew some assignments, but I digress. W-OS should've won that game.

For all the Coach Thompson supporters, I'm not against Coach T. And if the Mustangs turn around and win lots of games from here on out, and Coach T proves to be a great coach and the dominance at W-OS continues, then I'll have no problem saying I was wrong and my hats off to Coach T. But in the meantime, please don't tell me or others what my "agenda" is or that I'm "bashing" Coach Thompson simply because I don't think he was the right hire. Because truth be known, if he does prove to be the "right" hire, everyone on this board will let me know it, and I'm fine with it. But if he doesn't, and W-OS struggles, and in a year or two when the Mustangs are looking for another coach and wishing they hadn't let Coach Foreman get away, I'll probably be able to count on one finger the number of people that say I was right. But for the Mustangs sake, let's hope I'm not. Thanks again, I appreciate and enjoy the discussion, and tune in every Friday from 6-7 pm for Sports Talk with Fred Davis on 1300 AM here in Beaumont. Spirited discussion is always welcome.

Enjoy your weekends.
[/quote]

Sorry "THE" Fred Davis... I did not know who you were. It is my opinion that your opinion is incorrect. It is also my opinion that a person of the media is being very wreckless making a post like this after one game. It is also my opinion that you don't know WOS as well as you think you do.

Have a great day!!

And along those lines, Gas, we should tell him that it's WO-S, not W-OS.

The first year we ran the spread, 2001, we struggled. You probably weren't aware, being that it was six years before 2007. We were 5-5 (our first .500 or below season since 1982), and that was coming off of a 15-1 state runner-up team in 2000. It's a new offense. There's a period of adjustment. As someone who has followed WO-S more than "on and off" for FAR longer than four years, I believe we made the right hire.

What a quality win for Big Ned over an always talented team in WO-S. Chain Gang defense was stuffing the run all night. If nit for Raines' perfect toss for a TD early on, we may have remained scoreless for the first half. What really impressed me was Ned's defense stepping up and stopping runs that, in the past, would have gone for much longer gains or even TDs. Also doing this without arguably our best defensive lineman. My hat's off to all our players for never giving up and coming from two TDs down to beat a team who always makes deep playoff runs.

Sorry for the late post. Some of us have to work Saturdays. :D

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1042727" timestamp="1314474572"]
[quote author=TheFredDavis link=topic=87186.msg1042707#msg1042707 date=1314472282]

Enjoy your weekends.
[/quote]

Sorry "THE" Fred Davis... I did not know who you were. It is my opinion that your opinion is incorrect. It is also my opinion that a person of the media is being very wreckless making a post like this after one game. It is also my opinion that you don't know WOS as well as you think you do.

Have a great day!!
[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking. Not very professional

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1042766" timestamp="1314481928"]
As for the officiating.. Nederlands had its fair share, I assure you.. Here's a quote by a famous high school football coach after officials called an obvious forward pass a lateral:

"The good Lord giveth, and the good Lord taketh away." -Dan Hooks
[/quote]

LOL I was thinking the same thing all day --- this time the Lord giveth to Big Ned

[quote name="mcdonajp" post="1042602" timestamp="1314463047"]
The two point conversion was good.  Left hand hit the ground, ball in right hand was on the goal line when his butt hit the ground.  Nederland defense did very well last night and will only get better.  Missed tackles at the line of scrimmage hurt some but it's hard to wrap up a running back that quick and elusive.  WO-S defense very impressive and quick.....one of their better defenses I have seen in the last couple years.  WO-S kickoff return called a touchback; he caught the ball out side the goal line then stepped back across the goal line with one foot ruling it a touchback. The same as catching it on the 5 yard line and running back in the endzone.
[/quote]
From looking at the film at KFDM and by no means is it a definative angle, but it appears to show butt down and hand with ball around his right knee pad which would make the player down before the score. There is no question his butt is down before the goal as you can clearly see space before the goal. Beg to differ with you on this call. No excuses that Dogs played well and deserved to win.

Did DRH ever use the Bmt. officials when playing the mid-county schools?  The long pass was def. out of bounds.  the 2-pt
was quest.  Congrats to Nederland and Coach Neumann, great win.  The great coach you spoke of?  Isn't he OC at Texas High now who just lost to vidor?  Nothing against TF I now and like him.  It is just some people treat some coaches on here like deity while bashing others. OFF SOAPBOX NOW! Sorry

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="football" post="1043149" timestamp="1314508601"]
Did DRH ever use the Bmt. officials when playing the mid-county schools?  The long pass was def. out of bounds.  the 2-pt
was quest.  Congrats to Nederland and Coach Neumann, great win.  The great coach you spoke of?  Isn't he OC at Texas High now who just lost to vidor?  Nothing against TF I now and like him.  It is just some people treat some coaches on here like deity while bashing others. OFF SOAPBOX NOW! Sorry
[/quote]
Defensive coordinator actually lol.

I congratulate Nederland on a great win.  It was impressive to see them not give up when it looked like they would lose.  There were questionable officiating calls in this game, but they did not decide the outcome.  The final score was decided by two factors.  1) WO-S played sloppy offense in the second half.  There was a combination of too many fumbled snaps, low snaps, and procedure penalties that put us in long yardage situations and killed the drives.  We definitely should have scored more than once in the second half and, therefore, Nederland's late comeback would not have been enough.  2) Nederland did not give up.  Except for the nice TD pass in the first quarter, the WO-S defense dominated Nederland until about midway in the 4th when the Bulldogs hit a few pass plays and broke a run or two.  Yes, WO-S should have made that tackle in the backfield and essentially ended the game, but Nederland did not give up.  They deserve credit for that and for the win.  Nice win, Bulldogs.  You earned it the hard way. 

[quote name="griff" post="1043186" timestamp="1314535668"]
I congratulate Nederland on a great win.  It was impressive to see them not give up when it looked like they would lose.  There were questionable officiating calls in this game, but they did not decide the outcome.  The final score was decided by two factors.  1) WO-S played sloppy offense in the second half.  There was a combination of too many fumbled snaps, low snaps, and procedure penalties that put us in long yardage situations and killed the drives.  We definitely should have scored more than once in the second half and, therefore, Nederland's late comeback would not have been enough.  2) Nederland did not give up.  Except for the nice TD pass in the first quarter, the WO-S defense dominated Nederland until about midway in the 4th when the Bulldogs hit a few pass plays and broke a run or two.  Yes, WO-S should have made that tackle in the backfield and essentially ended the game, but Nederland did not give up.  They deserve credit for that and for the win.  Nice win, Bulldogs.  You earned it the hard way.
[/quote]I think you nailed it , to many penalties!

Posting on both threads:

Ok, my take on the game:

Ned is still having problems containing the edges of the LOS against fast teams. - The DBs need to get off of the blocks and close down.
WOS' defense is still as tough as usual.
Ned need to work on the punt game .
WOS needs to bring Kicker out of retirement for PATs.  Although the guy did well on kickoffs.
Ned showed alot of heart in not giving up when the game looked like it was out of hand.
If WOS cleans up the penalties they will be fine.  BTW, it looked like the DB pushed the WR out of bounds on that catch.  It would still be a reception in that case.
Lindsey(Sp?) for WOS is a slippery little RB and disappears behind the line.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1043671" timestamp="1314586776"]
Posting on both threads:

Ok, my take on the game:

Ned is still having problems containing the edges of the LOS against fast teams. - The DBs need to get off of the blocks and close down.
WOS' defense is still as tough as usual.
Ned need to work on the punt game .
WOS needs to bring Kicker out of retirement for PATs.  Although the guy did well on kickoffs.
Ned showed alot of heart in not giving up when the game looked like it was out of hand.
If WOS cleans up the penalties they will be fine.  BTW, it looked like the DB pushed the WR out of bounds on that catch.  It would still be a reception in that case.
Lindsey(Sp?) for WOS is a slippery little RB and disappears behind the line.
[/quote]

I think that rule was changed and you now have to come down inbounds. That is what a coach told me. I'm sure that if I'm wrong that it wont take someone on here long to correct me.  ;D

No excuses. Nederland played 4 quarters and beat us.

[b][quote b]
Nonetheless, regardless of the somewhat controversial ruling, it certainly doesn’t diminish the effort the Bulldogs put into their near miraculous comeback from an early fourth-quarter deficit of 20-7.[/b]West-Orange-Stark’s Cornel Thompson, who made his debut as legendary coach Dan Hooks’ successor before the crowd of about 8,500, certainly won’t dispute that.

“We weren’t able to put it away,” said Thompson. “We played hard, and we played well for the most part, but there were some plays on which we had poor execution. “We gave up a couple of big plays coming down the stretch, and you can’t do that and survive against a good team. [b]We had them (the Bulldogs) on the ropes, then we let them up.[/b][/quote]

That pretty much says it all.Congrats Ned.

[quote name="football" post="1043149" timestamp="1314508601"]
[/quote]
The long pass was def. IN bounds. We saw pics Sunday, taken by a photog on the WOS sideline and he had it frame by frame and the reciever def. got his 1st foot down in bounds. As for the 2 pt. play I'm glad that wasn't my call. The HL that made the call was 100% confident in it and he told me he saw the replay and still feels 100% confident in it. Unfortunately we don't have the time to ask all of you your opinions before we make and call nor can we rely on replays like college and NFL. Great game from 2 great teams. Good luck to both!

dang i am so glad this game is over now we can get ready for the next game.ok nederland fans i must say this to all of you  your kids played there hearts out and showed alot of class this mustang fan wishes you the best this year.PS i like playing at lamar  almost 9,000people at that game i just love that

[quote name="teeboan" post="1043821" timestamp="1314624706"]
[quote author=football link=topic=87186.msg1043149#msg1043149 date=1314508601]
[/quote]
The long pass was def. IN bounds. We saw pics Sunday, taken by a photog on the WOS sideline and he had it frame by frame and the reciever def. got his 1st foot down in bounds. As for the 2 pt. play I'm glad that wasn't my call. The HL that made the call was 100% confident in it and he told me he saw the replay and still feels 100% confident in it. Unfortunately we don't have the time to ask all of you your opinions before we make and call nor can we rely on replays like college and NFL. Great game from 2 great teams. Good luck to both!
[/quote]

Would love to see the pics on that one..from the replay on the scoreboard and from the view where I was sitting,  I just don't see how. Can we gets those still-frames posted? 'Dogs deserve all the credit and for those bashing Coach T, he did nothing wrong to lose the game. I have friends on the Bulldog staff and I certainly root for them anytime they are not playing the 'Stangs. Good luck to both the rest of the way.

No doubt refs have a tough job and my respect and admiration goes out to them. They are gonna make some bad calls that is just the way it is and you can't put yourself in a position to have it affect the outcome of a game. However, I am 100% certain I can run the Dallas Cowboys better than Jerry Jones, it doesn't make it true lol.

[quote name="skipper" post="1043859" timestamp="1314628053"]
dang i am so glad this game is over now we can get ready for the next game.ok nederland fans i must say this to all of you  your kids played there hearts out and showed alot of class this mustang fan wishes you the best this year.PS i like playing at lamar  almost 9,000people at that game i just love that
[/quote]

Thanks Skipper.  Good luck to you too.  I forgot to add to my list that Lamar has a pretty sweet stadium, that was my first time being in it since it was rebuilt.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder