Politics in Football

Guest BOBCAT

[quote author=knows2much link=topic=86652.msg1035439#msg1035439 date=1313354012]
The problem is that too many parents coach youth sports so that jr can get the glory.  Politics are definately present.  As for school sports...coaches are trying to win.  Period.  Job is probably on the line.

Their could be a school board members child that would get to play ahead of another in this scenario. That is if the job is on the line.....

Guest blackflag
[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="1035786" timestamp="1313435093"]
[quote author=knows2much link=topic=86652.msg1035439#msg1035439 date=1313354012]
The problem is that too many parents coach youth sports so that jr can get the glory.  Politics are definately present.  As for school sports...coaches are trying to win.  Period.  Job is probably on the line.

[color=red]Their could be a school board members child that would get to play ahead of another in this scenario. That is if the job is on the line.....[/color]
[/quote]

Sometimes keeping your job means playing little timmy  ! When this starts happening its time to hire a new coach but it isn't easy for the school board to find a replacement  political puppet .  

Just to follow up on the Freshman and the Senior who are equal in talent, I saw it a good number of years back in Nederland and the Coach picked the Senior. He said the tie breaker was Senior leadership, you hear coaches use that phase a lot and I think most coaches would make this kind of decision.

There was an example of this at Central.  Coach chose the Sr. QB on the '09 team and there was a then freshman Mitchell on Varsity.  Coach went with the Senior.  Late in the playoffs, that Sr. didn't play good at all.  Coach made a decision to bring Mitchell in and he threw a couple of nice TD (in garbage time of course, but still).

Politics is in every athletic program to 1 degree or another that's just a fact of life. People have to deal with it on the job, in the church, as well as school districts. As for athletics, most coaches worth their salt learn how to deal with it pretty good and don't let it sway their decisions, even though they may be under a lot of pressure. That's what separates the good coaches from bad......they learn how to beat them (manipulators) at their own game.  

My son isn't playing school ball yet. I have a daughter who is. She is a natural athlete with a good coachable attitude. Then I sit in the bleachers and hear parents complain and make stupid excuses as to why "johnny" or "jane" aren't playing. And almost every single one has said this - "I had a meeting with the coaches. And ever since then my kid has been sitting out" -or something to this effect. My daughter(who is 13) and I talked about these kinds of things happening before she started school athletics. The one thing I stressed was that she was going to have to learn how talk to the coach about any problems or issues that she may have. I'm giving my son the same speech this year. I believe most parents compound the problem by not teaching the child how to handle these situations with little interference.  I couldn't wait for school athletics to start so that I could actually sit back and enjoy watching my kids play and have fun.

What people call politics (favoritism) is in every facets of life. That is because football players, coaches, parents, police officers, doctors, lawyers, ditch diggers and everyone else comes from the human race.

When we all become Spock from Star Trek and show no emotion and always act in a logical manner, we will not have favoritism or what people call politics.

Until then...............

The only case I could see a coach showing some type of favortism would be in the case of a school board members child.  I would think this would be rare but human nature does exist and sense to care for yourself and family is strong.  I would bet in this instance though there is a fair argument that kid should start anyway. 

A couple of things I see with High School sports is not that a coach plays kids because of politics its just sometimes they make up their mind and become fairly hard headed.  It is not always easy to admit you may have been wrong.  The other thing is we normally see the best athletes play, but at this level the best athelete is not always the best solution.  I often see kids with a lot of heart and determination not getting enough minutes.  If nothing else have them compete and let the talented kid know if you don't want to work I got somebody to take your spot who will. 

[quote name="VPirate" post="1035862" timestamp="1313443293"]
Politics is in every athletic program to 1 degree or another that's just a fact of life. People have to deal with it on the job, in the church, as well as school districts. As for athletics, most coaches worth their salt learn how to deal with it pretty good and don't let it sway their decisions, even though they may be under a lot of pressure. That's what separates the good coaches from bad......they learn how to beat them (manipulators) at their own game.  
[/quote]

Good post.

[quote name="Dwack" post="1036011" timestamp="1313496217"]
The only case I could see a coach showing some type of favortism would be in the case of a school board members child.  I would think this would be rare but human nature does exist and sense to care for yourself and family is strong.  I would bet in this instance though there is a fair argument that kid should start anyway. 

A couple of things I see with High School sports is not that a coach plays kids because of politics its just sometimes they make up their mind and become fairly hard headed.  It is not always easy to admit you may have been wrong.  The other thing is we normally see the best athletes play, but at this level the best athelete is not always the best solution.  I often see kids with a lot of heart and determination not getting enough minutes.  If nothing else have them compete and let the talented kid know if you don't want to work I got somebody to take your spot who will. 
[/quote] There are politics in everything in life. But I have seen it first hand. I saw a new coach come to town, and he told all the kids before the season started to " show me what you can do , dont try and tell me" Yet when the season started one player had a broken arm and was unable to play at all. Yet as soon as the V jerseys were handed out ,he got one. And the only thing this kid showed the new coach was his last name was the same as the President of the school board... And it came back to bight the coach in the butt. During the reagonal playoffs the two starting centers got in foul trouble and had to set. The kid gave up 5 off. rebounds in a row and we went from 6 points up to 4 points down, and the team lost by 4. He had other kids on JV that could out play this player, but were not even on the bench.

Maybe we should give the kids a break because little Johnny Appletree's dad did coach winning teams during little leage, youth teams etc. But you know dad and mom want to blame the coach for little Johnny Appletree not being the star athlete.  So watch out coach if you don't play them they may be on a mission to replace you.  Those parents can run for school board you know. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder