Former area coach, now senior pastor

Sorry, to brag on here but my brother 1995 alumnus of Lamar in Kinesiology and teaching certificate in special education was just named the Senior Pastor at Community Christian Church in Orange, Texas.

At age 17, he started going to Community Christian. Then after he graduated from LC-M, he attending McNeese on a scholarship. After red-shirting his freshman year he decided to give up football and marry his high school sweetheart who was an English major at Texas A&M.

So, at 20 he was married, working as much as possible and going to school full-time. After graduating, he was hired by his alma mater LC-M and worked there for four years. Each year the Bears made the playoffs. At age 26 he was a finalist for the Deweyville HC/AD job.

He then was hired by West Brook head coach Al Rabb. The Bruins had a all-american in Chip Ambres at QB and they made the playoff both years he was there. His last year they made it to the 5A quarterfinals.

He then moved to Mansfield to coach but was asked by a close friend to be the associate pastor at a small church in Arlington. So he did both coach and was the associate pastor. He was still successfull as a coach as Mansfied made it to the playoffs both years he was there.

But, he felt he was to go full time into the ministry. He left Arlington for a small church in Illinois. I thought he was crazy as he was a successful coach and left Arlington for a church of 35 members which under his direction grew to about 100.

Then in 2002, my dad was diagnosed with primary liver cancer. My brother was very close to my dad and wanted to come home. He was even willing to leave the ministry. He called a few of his coaching friends and told them of his desire to get back to SE Texas. He was offered a coaching job but the senior pastor of Community Christian called him and offered an associate pastor job and his wife gain employment with WO-C ISD.

Feb. 8th, 2003 my father died. I took a leave from my job (hospital in SE Texas) but my brother was able to work through it with his faith I guess.

Anyway, I always wanted my little brother to stay in the coaching profession because he was great at it and I felt it was only a matter of time til he was a head coach somewhere.

However, that was not his hearts desire. So, since 2002 he has been the associate pastor of a church with about 1,000 members and the school administrator for CCS. Remember this is the same church he started going to at 17 years of age.

Well, tonight he was voted to become the senior pastor at the same church he attended as a kid.

Although, it wasn't my dream job for him. It was his hearts desire to one day be the senior pastor at Community.

Tonight, it happened and I'm really proud of everything by little brother has done from athletics, to coaching and now, his dream job.

Congratulations Daniel as I love you!

Again, sorry for bragging and just pass over this thread if you don't like reading this.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1030088" timestamp="1312166831"]
Congratulations, Pastor Rose.

360, the last I saw on the CCS website, he was principal.  Will he have to relinquish that now that he is senior pastor?
[/quote]

He told me he will delegate some of his administative duties at the school but he is planning with assistance to do both.

Thanks for your replies as I know this is a sports forum but I'm just so proud of the man my brother is.

May Pastor David enjoy his retirement!

Great for him, but it's sad for the coaching business that they don't have a quality guy like that coaching kids....

I was blessed to have great Christian men as coaches, and know many more...

No bigger mission field than local high schools...

[quote name="HubTx" post="1030717" timestamp="1312317542"]
Great for him, but it's sad for the coaching business that they don't have a quality guy like that coaching kids....

I was blessed to have great Christian men as coaches, and know many more...

No bigger mission field than local high schools...
[/quote]

That is exactly what I tried to tell him!!!  8)

There is  nothing no greater than serving the Lord. I would bet that even while coaching that he had a good impact upon the players.  Coach Barbay had a tradition before each game, they neil down on their knees and the team resites the Lord's prayer. A tradition that I think will probably continue with coach W.T. because he to, like Barbay, is a Christian.
Congratulations Pastor/coach Rose.

[quote name="DP#1FAN" post="1031386" timestamp="1312459590"]
He is a great man and great friend of mine. You to Dale.
[/quote]

Thanks DP, the feelings are mutual as I've looked up to you since I was 18 and we were sweating our butts off in Kings Gym. You are a great role model and I'm glad you are working with the young people at Community. You have a special gift as people are drawn to you. Again, thanks for the kind words!

[quote name="bigred360" post="1032739" timestamp="1312852668"]
WOSgrad, thanks for posting this article as a few things were made more clear.
[/quote]

Awesome to see someone follow God's calling. He'll be able to touch many lives now, young/old, athlete/non-athlete. Thanks for sharing.

Great story!  It was a good read for me as my son, a junior at Texas A&M, has recently shared with my wife and I that he feels called to the ministry and will go straight into seminary after graduating from A&M.  Well, I have had mixed feelings but stories like this kinda put things into perspective.

[quote name="BIGMO44" post="1032868" timestamp="1312902431"]
Great story!  It was a good read for me as my son, a junior at Texas A&M, has recently shared with my wife and I that he feels called to the ministry and will go straight into seminary after graduating from A&M.  Well, I have had mixed feelings but stories like this kinda put things into perspective.
[/quote]

I know how you feel but if he is called into the service of the Lord, he'll never be truly happy unless he is doing the will of the Father. You're son might do amazing things that only he could do for the Lord.

May your son live a blessed life at ATM and after he leaves!

[quote name="bigred360" post="1033126" timestamp="1312944107"]
[quote author=BIGMO44 link=topic=86185.msg1032868#msg1032868 date=1312902431]
[/quote]

I know how you feel but if he is called into the service of the Lord, he'll never be truly happy unless he is doing the will of the Father. You're son might do amazing things that only he could do for the Lord.

May your son live a blessed life at ATM and after he leaves!
[/quote]I personally know his son and even in high school that's the direction I knew he would go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder