Financial realities put restrictions on Lamar football schedule

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1015181" timestamp="1306771672"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=84642.msg1015172#msg1015172 date=1306770359]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84642.msg1015082#msg1015082 date=1306709439]
My fault for not knowing the rules, but I guess what I was getting at was LU needs to figure a way to get other teams that would keep fans in the stands. I still say if you continue with what your playing, that in 3 to 5 years you won't be getting 15k to games IMO.
[/quote]

maybe they schedule pote neches to keep your attention
[/quote]
Talk trash all you want to, I'm just speaking the truth. Love it or hate, I don't care. Why is it that you have to bring Port Neches into it? We probably do have the same attendance for our games as LU, and more in about 3-5 years ;D Blame the Boremont newspaper for bringing the topic up, and blame your coach for telling the fans to quit living in the past. Pretty arrogant statement to make to fans that are suppose to back the new program. You beg for millions to be donated just to have a sub par schedule? I think fans expect alot and fast. I still say I will wait 3-5 years and we'll see. I hope LU goes to the next level and competes. Maybe you can be the ball boy Puddin?
[/quote]I was thinking the same thing, Woodard has an Abatemarco mouth.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="UNLV" post="1015185" timestamp="1306772315"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84642.msg1015181#msg1015181 date=1306771672]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=84642.msg1015172#msg1015172 date=1306770359]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84642.msg1015082#msg1015082 date=1306709439]
My fault for not knowing the rules, but I guess what I was getting at was LU needs to figure a way to get other teams that would keep fans in the stands. I still say if you continue with what your playing, that in 3 to 5 years you won't be getting 15k to games IMO.
[/quote]

maybe they schedule pote neches to keep your attention
[/quote]
Talk trash all you want to, I'm just speaking the truth. Love it or hate, I don't care. Why is it that you have to bring Port Neches into it? We probably do have the same attendance for our games as LU, and more in about 3-5 years ;D Blame the Boremont newspaper for bringing the topic up, and blame your coach for telling the fans to quit living in the past. Pretty arrogant statement to make to fans that are suppose to back the new program. You beg for millions to be donated just to have a sub par schedule? I think fans expect alot and fast. I still say I will wait 3-5 years and we'll see. I hope LU goes to the next level and competes. Maybe you can be the ball boy Puddin?
[/quote]I was thinking the same thing, Woodard has an Abatemarco mouth.
[/quote]

Quit living 30 years ago and have high expectations, those are the first two that come to mind.

Just reread the enterprise article and quotes.  Did not see anywhere that Woodward said anything about not having high expectations.  The facts are this is not 30 years ago.  Thirty years ago Lamar was in the top division of NCAA Football.  TV money was a small piece of the pie.  Even then it was hard to get a big name school to play at a smaller school like Lamar.  Usually when it did happen it was because of friendships between the big schools coach and the small school coach who probably was an assistant at some point in time to the big name school coach and then it would be a two for one at best.  Yes thirty years ago small schools still went to the big name schools for a payday.  The number one thing that fills a stadium is a winning tradition and you don't build that getting your rear kicked for multiple payday games and then a poor showing in conference because of injuries.  The return of football to Lamar is a process.  Unless there is a T Boone Pickens out there that wants to pony up a couple of hundred million dollars to buy Lamar a program it will take some time and playing some schools we all would prefer not play to build the program.  Also remember that the worst thing that can happen to a big name school is to play an FCS team and loose.

You guys do realize that just [b]two[/b] years ago, LU did not have a football program? But now, ya'll are all pissed off that Woodard can't get any FBS schools to come play in our 16,000 seat (albeit very nice) stadium? Please tell me why that would happen when most FBS schools play in front of at least 30,000 people and make at least $500,000 each home game in attendance cash alone, but you guys are expecting them to give that up to come and play in Beaumont against a 2nd year program? No, no, no... College football is a business and a school has to make more money than they spend to keep a program afloat. That sounds familiar... (Sounds like what LU is doing by getting these schools to come play at Provost to make more money for the upstart program, when you can never have enough) So, if you're truly an LU fan... You [b]WILL[/b] continue to come out and watch them play whoever they play. Give them some time to move up to a FBS conference and expand their glorified high school stadium (Obviously as nice as a college stadium, but I even played in bigger high school stadiums) before you start demanding these FBS programs to start coming to town. That's all Woodard is saying... As of now, LU has nothing to offer those FBS programs. "Hey, come play in our 16,000 seat stadium... We have a nice scoreboard... We're a second year program... We have the Elegante on I10 for you guys to stay in... It'll be well worth you guys giving up the millions of dollars you'll give up to come and play us... It'll be great!" No... Give them time. Good things don't happen overtime. Rome wasn't built in a day... Good things come to those who wait. Okay, sorry enough slogans. That's my piece on the subject.

[quote]You guys do realize that just two years ago, LU did not have a football program? But now, ya'll are all pissed off that Woodard can't get any FBS schools to come play in our 16,000 seat (albeit very nice) stadium? Please tell me why that would happen when most FBS schools play in front of at least 30,000 people and make at least $500,000 each home game in attendance cash alone, but you guys are expecting them to give that up to come and play in Beaumont against a 2nd year program?[/quote]

Nobody is pissed about no FBS schools coming to Beaumont now.  We're upset because the article makes it appear that everyone on these message boards expects big name schools to come to Beaumont.  A big part of why a lot of us fans want Lamar to join the WAC or Sun Belt is because FBS will come to Beaumont at that point.

Dabe brings up Texas State getting Texas Tech to come to their place, but fails to mention that they will be FBS and in the WAC at that point.  It's just shoddy reporting on Dabe's part and it makes everyone look bad.  Shame on Dabe.

I can't believe the response to the truth.  Some remarks sound like they were just told Santa Claus isn't real.  Like AJ25 stated how are you going to get an FBS school to play at an [b]18,000[/b] seat stadium?  LSU has a seating capacity or 92,000 and UT 100,000.  Maybe we can raise ticket prices by 5 times just to cover the gate difference.  All Woodard said was the truth it is not going to happen anytime soon.  Reminds of the line from a "Few Good Men" You can't handle the truth.
As far as the Enterprise... Why are you going to the head football coach with things that are posted on a MESSAGE BOARD?

[quote name="AJ25" post="1015209" timestamp="1306776662"]
You guys do realize that just [b]two[/b] years ago, LU did not have a football program? But now, ya'll are all pissed off that Woodard can't get any FBS schools to come play in our 16,000 seat (albeit very nice) stadium? Please tell me why that would happen when most FBS schools play in front of at least 30,000 people and make at least $500,000 each home game in attendance cash alone, but you guys are expecting them to give that up to come and play in Beaumont against a 2nd year program? No, no, no... College football is a business and a school has to make more money than they spend to keep a program afloat. That sounds familiar... (Sounds like what LU is doing by getting these schools to come play at Provost to make more money for the upstart program, when you can never have enough) So, if you're truly an LU fan... You [b]WILL[/b] continue to come out and watch them play whoever they play. Give them some time to move up to a FBS conference and expand their glorified high school stadium (Obviously as nice as a college stadium, but I even played in bigger high school stadiums) before you start demanding these FBS programs to start coming to town. That's all Woodard is saying... As of now, LU has nothing to offer those FBS programs. "Hey, come play in our 16,000 seat stadium... We have a nice scoreboard... We're a second year program... We have the Elegante on I10 for you guys to stay in... It'll be well worth you guys giving up the millions of dollars you'll give up to come and play us... It'll be great!" No... Give them time. Good things don't happen overtime. Rome wasn't built in a day... Good things come to those who wait. Okay, sorry enough slogans. That's my piece on the subject.
[/quote]

karma for you

been waiting along time...I'll be there vs Incarnate Word, McSneeze, whoever

for me, football doesnt end on Friday nite

What y'all are saying is if anyone questions anything about Lamar athletics or what direction LU is planning on going their not real fans? Give me a break, if someone disagrees with you doesn't mean their not a fan. Wow! We'll just have sit back see how it plays out. Just curious what you guys expectations are and where you see LU football in let's say 5 years?

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1015310" timestamp="1306801418"]
Amazing that an AD would respond in public via the newspaper to conversations made on an internet message board.  Think about that.
[/quote]

Woodard's the head coach, not the AD.  But yeah, it's a stupid article that should have never been written.

[quote name="geezer" post="1015198" timestamp="1306775283"]
Just reread the enterprise article and quotes.  Did not see anywhere that Woodward said anything about not having high expectations.  The facts are this is not 30 years ago.  
[/quote]

He made the "higher expectations" comment during the season when people were saying it's okay that Lamar lost "because they were a new program." He mentioned people should have higher expectations.

[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=84642.msg1015209#msg1015209 date=1306776662]
You guys do realize that just [b]two[/b] years ago, LU did not have a football program?
[/quote]

Actually, 2 years ago, Lamar did have a football team, they just weren't playing any games. Woodard was hired June 2008, so he had all of the 2008-2009 season to get things in order, 2009-2010 to work out a team and get players, and then 2010 was their first year.

[quote author=UNLV link=topic=84642.msg1015323#msg1015323 date=1306805738]
You guys are purposely being stupid. I guess you have to act stupid so Woodard don't look dumb.
Before this article no one said a FCS Lamar should bring in FBS. Now follow this up with the stupid act.
[/quote]

Actually there was a post in mid-April that said Lamar should make the Baylor game a home-and-home.  That comes to mind immediately, and I'm sure there has been more.

[quote name="AJ25" post="1015209" timestamp="1306776662"]
You guys do realize that just [b]two[/b] years ago, LU did not have a football program?
[/quote]

Actually, 2 years ago, Lamar did have a football team, they just weren't playing any games. Woodard was hired June 2008, so he had all of the 2008-2009 season to get things in order, 2009-2010 to work out a team and get players, and then 2010 was their first year.
[/quote]

So outside of Woodard and a couple early players, there was no program as far as the public could tell.

[quote name="AJ25" post="1015363" timestamp="1306817442"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=84642.msg1015209#msg1015209 date=1306776662]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So outside of Woodard and a couple early players, there was no program as far as the public could tell.
[/quote]

Nope, but that's the issue, taking that full year off, and being DI eligible the first year, means that programs scheduling Lamar would have had that win (assuming they won of course) count toward their DI total. Unlike Ga. St. who was playing JuCo's their first year because they wouldn't have counted as DI competition.

With that said, Woodard SHOULD have been able to get a few more quality opponents since they were a legitimate DI team last year. He was limited in this year because Lamar is part of the SLC, and now play a full slate of DI one opponents in conference play. Again, counting as DI wins, Lamar should have been able to get better opponents win they made their schedule last year (and year before last), and yes, I know some of those were return games for home-and-homes, but Lamar backed out of the USD game (again, DI game), and is now stuck with 2 sub-DI programs on the schedule.

Bottom line, Lamar could have done better and at least schedule DI competition, but didn't. They dropped the ball, end of story.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1015043" timestamp="1306685551"]
I figured that some would call Coach's words unambitious.  I prefer to call it tempering enthusiasm with realism.

I love that football is back at Lamar, but let's not make this program something that it is not.  It is not a program that has a lot to offer a Top 20 FBS team for that team to come to Beaumont.  I'm not saying at some point that it won't.  But let's step back folks! At this point last year, a team from Lamar University had not played a football game in over 20 years.  You don't go from that to FBS ready in a year.  I don't care about UTSA or others....Lamar is not there yet!

I think of it as sort of a coup that in merely the 4th year of the revival of this program, Lamar will have managed to land on the schedule of a BCS conference team!  Of course, I harbor no illusions as to why they will be visiting Stillwater, Waco, College Station or even Honolulu for that matter.  It is for those schools to provide an opportunity for their fans, alumni and boosters to see their school kick the crap out of somebody.  I still remember when ULL (then USL) went on their barnstorming tour which lead them to Jordan-Hare Stadium where Bo Jackson literally ran the Ragin Cajuns back to downtown Lafayette.  They got exposure alright...an entire nation saying "Those poor, dumb bastards."

But think of it this way, those that support the A&Ms, the UTs or the LSUs.  Do you think that they flock to the games to see who has come to town? No.  They flock there to see their teams play whoever it is that comes to town.  That is why even when lil' Lamar University comes to town, Kyle Field will be filled to capacity.  Whenever Lamar has that sort of following, not a following drawn by the novelty of the program or a concert following (that is a following drawn by who happens to be in town for the weekend), then it will be ready to host FBS teams.
[/quote]
Well said grad.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1015310" timestamp="1306801418"]
Amazing that an AD would respond in public via the newspaper to conversations made on an internet message board.  Think about that.
[/quote]

this forum is more popular than the Beaumont Surprise and the local TV sports...

[quote name="incognito" post="1015373" timestamp="1306840251"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=84642.msg1015043#msg1015043 date=1306685551]
I figured that some would call Coach's words unambitious.  I prefer to call it tempering enthusiasm with realism.

I love that football is back at Lamar, but let's not make this program something that it is not.  It is not a program that has a lot to offer a Top 20 FBS team for that team to come to Beaumont.  I'm not saying at some point that it won't.  But let's step back folks! At this point last year, a team from Lamar University had not played a football game in over 20 years.  You don't go from that to FBS ready in a year.  I don't care about UTSA or others....Lamar is not there yet!

I think of it as sort of a coup that in merely the 4th year of the revival of this program, Lamar will have managed to land on the schedule of a BCS conference team!  Of course, I harbor no illusions as to why they will be visiting Stillwater, Waco, College Station or even Honolulu for that matter.  It is for those schools to provide an opportunity for their fans, alumni and boosters to see their school kick the crap out of somebody.  I still remember when ULL (then USL) went on their barnstorming tour which lead them to Jordan-Hare Stadium where Bo Jackson literally ran the Ragin Cajuns back to downtown Lafayette.  They got exposure alright...an entire nation saying "Those poor, dumb bastards."

But think of it this way, those that support the A&Ms, the UTs or the LSUs.  Do you think that they flock to the games to see who has come to town? No.  They flock there to see their teams play whoever it is that comes to town.  That is why even when lil' Lamar University comes to town, Kyle Field will be filled to capacity.  Whenever Lamar has that sort of following, not a following drawn by the novelty of the program or a concert following (that is a following drawn by who happens to be in town for the weekend), then it will be ready to host FBS teams.
[/quote]
Well said grad.
[/quote]

Grad's first loyalty is WOS, period.  It appears to me that he doesn't want Lamar's football team to be better than the Mustangs.  That's kind of sad to me.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1015460" timestamp="1306866260"]
[quote author=incognito link=topic=84642.msg1015373#msg1015373 date=1306840251]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=84642.msg1015043#msg1015043 date=1306685551]

[/quote]
Well said grad.
[/quote]

Grad's first loyalty is WOS, period.  It appears to me that he doesn't want Lamar's football team to be better than the Mustangs.  That's kind of sad to me.
[/quote]

NOTB, I certainly hope that this comment was made tongue in cheek. 

Lamar's FBS options, if they have any, aren't likely to bring any BCS teams to Beaumont.  I checked this year's Sunbelt schedule.  Of 36 non-conference games, the Sunbelt will host 4 games against BCS teams and 7 against non-BCS FBS schools.  The WAC is even worse.  Forty-one non-conference games, 2 home games against BCS teams, and 8 home games against non-BCS FBS schools.  If you want to play the big boys, you have to give up home games and moving to WAC or Sunbelt isn't going to change that.

[quote name="becktobigs" post="1015744" timestamp="1306954463"]
Lamar's FBS options, if they have any, aren't likely to bring any BCS teams to Beaumont.  I checked this year's Sunbelt schedule.  Of 36 non-conference games, the Sunbelt will host 4 games against BCS teams and 7 against non-BCS FBS schools.  The WAC is even worse.  Forty-one non-conference games, 2 home games against BCS teams, and 8 home games against non-BCS FBS schools.  If you want to play the big boys, you have to give up home games and moving to WAC or Sunbelt isn't going to change that.
[/quote]

Technically, all schools at the FBS level are BCS schools, I think you're confusing BCS-schools with AQ-Conference schools.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4809793

[quote]All 11 conferences in the Football Bowl Subdivision are "BCS conferences." The media and others often misuse this term, using the term "BCS conference" to describe an Automatic Qualifying (AQ) conference. [/quote]

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1015762" timestamp="1306957557"]
[quote author=becktobigs link=topic=84642.msg1015744#msg1015744 date=1306954463]
[/quote]

Technically, all schools at the FBS level are BCS schools, I think you're confusing BCS-schools with AQ-Conference schools.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4809793

[quote]All 11 conferences in the Football Bowl Subdivision are "BCS conferences." The media and others often misuse this term, using the term "BCS conference" to describe an Automatic Qualifying (AQ) conference. [/quote]
[/quote]Okay but the point is still the same.  Moving to a bottom -feeding FBS conference won't change home scheduling.

Sure it will - as it stands now, not even an FBS school like Rice, La Tech or UL-Monroe could come to Beaumont.  If we were in the Sunbelt/WAC these types of games could be considered.  That's better than playing Texas college or Langston or event a bottom feeder FCS team.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="1015802" timestamp="1306963853"]
Sure it will - as it stands now, not even an FBS school like Rice, La Tech or UL-Monroe could come to Beaumont.  If we were in the Sunbelt/WAC these types of games could be considered.  That's better than playing Texas college or Langston or event a bottom feeder FCS team.
[/quote]

AGREE!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder