Tony Valastro hired by Galveston ISD as next AD/HC at Ball/Who Will EC Hire?

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1003111" timestamp="1304000702"]
It is noteworthy Valastro had some great athletes to work with that Andy Evans and Stan Howard didn't always have. Valastro came to EC when Tremaine Thomas was a Freshman, and also had Vance McDonald (both NCAA Div. 1, at Arkansas and Rice respectively), and current Sr. Hank Jones.   
[/quote]
Amen brotha!  Not to take anything away from Valastro but my granny could have won 10 games a year with T. Thomas, V. McDonald, and H. Jones.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="finger roll" post="1003128" timestamp="1304003648"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=83464.msg1003111#msg1003111 date=1304000702]
It is noteworthy Valastro had some great athletes to work with that Andy Evans and Stan Howard didn't always have. Valastro came to EC when Tremaine Thomas was a Freshman, and also had Vance McDonald (both NCAA Div. 1, at Arkansas and Rice respectively), and current Sr. Hank Jones.   
[/quote]
Amen brotha!  Not to take anything away from Valastro [b]but my granny could have won 10 games a year with T. Thomas, V. McDonald, and H. Jones.[/b]
[/quote]

Well, you making that kind of statement is "taking away" from what Valastro did at EC.

That group that Stan had while there was the group with my little brother.  They lost one game on JV and that was to Barbers Hill's JV.  I coached on the staff then and anyone of those coaches on staff could have won with that group. That was also the last year that EC won the district track meet.  That group was special.  The mile relay went to state, with my brother, CJ, Ase, and Domonique as the anchor.

Fingeroll with that kind of statement you should be finger in nose. Your granny could win with those 3.  3 kids do not win games and McDonald was hurt most of the time. I saw them play and it was due to great coaching and good discipline that guided Valastro's teams. Howard could not spell discipline. Hang your hat on that guy. He has been fired/replaced at more jobs than probably any coach in the state.

I wasn't hanging my hat on Coach H.  If you read further back I forgot he was ever at EC his stint was so short.  I am hanging my hat on Coach Evans who started the winning tradition at EC.  Coach Valastro kept the winning going.  Period.  There wasn't a bunch of "bad" kids at EC that he had to straighten out or anything like that.  Things were rolling along well when he got here and they are rolling along well as he leaves.  We appreciate that.  Hopefully the next AD will continue the winning ways.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="wackpack" post="1003414" timestamp="1304076674"]
there was nothing  at all wrong with coach howard !!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I fully agree.

[quote name="wackpack" post="1004082" timestamp="1304166460"]
[quote author=DTH link=topic=83464.msg1004022#msg1004022 date=1304135987]
How is baseball team doing in Galveston?
[/quote] whats that matter ?

[/quote]Cant wait to hear how the Galveston Ball Basketball team feels about having to do offseason football workouts during Basketball Season :o

Guest ECBucFan
That may indeed happen, but 4A athletes tend to specialize, while 2A athletes pretty much play all the sports. Not trying to disagree with you, but 4A GB is a different culture than 2A EC. Might make a difference as to how things are run in the program.

There is no doubt in my mind who is responsible for turning that program around.  That is Andy Evans.  I saw it first hand.  Andy was still an assistant when I went to school there and it was terrible.  There were still athletes but no discipline at all.  Football was not fun it was a formality.  Basketball was the only thing that mattered. 

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="wackpack" post="1004082" timestamp="1304166460"]

[/quote]

Duhhh?  He is the AD, you know.  So he will be interested in ALL OF THE PROGRAMS.

Guest wackpack
[quote name="tigersvoice" post="1004123" timestamp="1304175898"]
[quote author=wackpack link=topic=83464.msg1004082#msg1004082 date=1304166460]

[/quote]

Duhhh?  He is the AD, you know.  So he will be interested in ALL OF THE PROGRAMS.
YOU THINK HE CARES ABOUT BASEBALL ?

[quote name="True Blue" post="1004095" timestamp="1304170626"]
[quote author=wackpack link=topic=83464.msg1004082#msg1004082 date=1304166460]

[/quote]Cant wait to hear how the Galveston Ball Basketball team feels about having to do offseason football workouts during Basketball Season :o
[/quote]
Pretty sure that won't happen at Ball.  Their football team was 1 - 9 last year while their basketball team was one of the top teams in the state.

off-season football workouts during basketball - if you mean lifting weights - they will be fine with it.  last time i checked lifting weights helps kids become better overall athletes.  unless you are against becoming a better athlete then do not think there will be a problem.  No college or pro basketball players lift - no never.

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1004106" timestamp="1304172323"]
There is no doubt in my mind who is responsible for turning that program around.  That is Andy Evans.  I saw it first hand.  Andy was still an assistant when I went to school there and it was terrible.  There were still athletes but no discipline at all.  Football was not fun it was a formality.  Basketball was the only thing that mattered. 
[/quote]
Evans first year was also the first year EC dropped from 3A to 2A...we were the largest 2A school in the state.

Quote from: rykerx144 on April 30, 2011, 10:07:11 AM

[color=green]Evans first year was also the first year EC dropped from 3A to 2A...we were the largest 2A school in the state.[/color]

[color=green]NOT TRUE... EC had been 2A for 5 years before he took the ad job[/color]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder