Coaching Staffs Trimmed

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="995683" timestamp="1302535485"]
AAW-Are these coaches being relieved of their coaching stipend and still teaching? Or are they being relieved of their duties with the district entirely?
[/quote]

It is my understanding that they are relieved of their duties entirely, but I could be mistaken.

Silsbee offered early retirement/resign package. 1 or 2 of the coaches did take it and they are included in the cuts.

You get an "applaud" for making sense!! 

[quote name="orangecoog" post="996114" timestamp="1302578700"]
Good idea. The school coaching staffs have been beloated for to long. Cuts should be in every area. Can't spend anymore than we take in. Taxes are two high.
[/quote]

Good idea. The school coaching staffs have been beloated for to long. Cuts should be in every area. Can't spend anymore than we take in. Taxes are two high.
[/quote]

Jesus, it seems like someone cut out your English teacher before you had a chance to learn the language. 

[/quote]

You do realize that all of these coaches are teachers as well? They didn't simply relieve them of their coaching duties and stipend, they eliminated teachers. and no, cuts are not everywhere. I have not heard of one school reducing amin. payrolls.

Guest Brubaker
[quote name="smitty" post="996033" timestamp="1302573027"]
Optimal staffing should be:  6, including HC, coaches for varsity football.   2 each for 8th grade and 9th grade.   
[/quote]

Varsity level, I would say 8, with head coach making 9.  Need at least 3 for 8th and 9th, You would have too many kids going unobserved with just two which could be dangerous, just my opinion.

For the 8.  OL, DL, Lb's, Backs(QB/RB), WR, DB's, Off Coord, Def Coord.  With out these core positions, I don't think you can safely or effectively run a football program.  Obviously more is better, but I'm for optimizing in every area to cut costs.

You all realize that this is the way that these coaches support their families right???/  we are talking about peoples ways of paying for groceries, doctor visits, electricity and everything else that cost money!!! 
How can any human being be glad that another human being doesn't have a way to support their family??????
what has happened to us as people?

Coach27
I do relize that it is peoples support for family but how many other people have been laid off.... it is inevitable as these positions are EXTRAcirricular activities.... if the budget was not in such bad shape we would not be seeing cuts across the board.

So we are going to cut coaches:  these people are the ones that supervise your kids on those EXTRA curricular activities, so now we are going to have less people keeping up with the same amount of kids?  In my opinion, this is not smart. 
Less people to give more attention to your child?
Less people to go the extra mile for your child?
I am not saying that teachers don't do the same, because i know they do.
Coaches spend a whole lot of extra time with their athletes......... and a lot of times serve as more than just a coach to these kids.  I just don't think that they should be the ones that get cut.  That's all i am saying..... it's MY OPINION..... it doesn't have to be yours.

You do realize that all of these coaches are teachers as well? They didn't simply relieve them of their coaching duties and stipend, they eliminated teachers. and no, cuts are not everywhere. I have not heard of one school [b]reducing amin. payrolls[/b].
[/quote]

ding ding ding.  That is the correct answer!

Look, its a '6 in one hand, half a dozen in another" view. Both sides can argue their points of the importance of the number of coaches and their value in the classroom and on the field/court/course/track.

The point is, for football, you need at least 2 coaches for OL and DL, EACH! A backs coach, receivers/TE coach. Then DTs, DEs, LBs,and secondary. The OC can coach QBs, and the DC will typically coach ILBs or secondary. All depends on the systems being ran and the number of kids in the program. You can't just say 6 HS and 2 for frosh and JH/MS. 2 coaches can't control 60/70/80...etc kids. No way. You need a minimum of 3 for position purposes. 10-12 for a lot of schools have a crap ton of kids to work with.

Its an unfortunate situation that will get worst before it gets better. Our extracurricular activities (Athletics AND Fine Arts) will be taking a big hit. The kids will be the ones to suffer. Larger class sizes, higher student to teacher ratio, and less one on one time with the instructor.

No Child Left Behind... What a crock! Wish Rick Perry could sit in a classroom for a day

[quote name="The Godfather" post="997515" timestamp="1302826574"]
Look, its a '6 in one hand, half a dozen in another" view. Both sides can argue their points of the importance of the number of coaches and their value in the classroom and on the field/court/course/track.

The point is, for football, you need at least 2 coaches for OL and DL, EACH! A backs coach, receivers/TE coach. Then DTs, DEs, LBs,and secondary. The OC can coach QBs, and the DC will typically coach ILBs or secondary. All depends on the systems being ran and the number of kids in the program. You can't just say 6 HS and 2 for frosh and JH/MS. 2 coaches can't control 60/70/80...etc kids. No way. You need a minimum of 3 for position purposes. 10-12 for a lot of schools have a crap ton of kids to work with.

Its an unfortunate situation that will get worst before it gets better. Our extracurricular activities (Athletics AND Fine Arts) will be taking a big hit. The kids will be the ones to suffer. Larger class sizes, higher student to teacher ratio, and less one on one time with the instructor.

No Child Left Behind... What a crock! Wish Rick Perry could sit in a classroom for a day
[/quote] All Slick Rick is in it for is to make sure Mobile ExXon gets another tax brake. They only made 30 Billion profit last year, and Diesel is now $4 a gallon.

[/quote] All Slick Rick is in it for is to make sure Mobile ExXon gets another tax brake. They only made 30 Billion profit last year, and Diesel is now $4 a gallon.
[/quote]

Exxon Mobile gets a local property tax break because the local counties decided the trade off of jobs created vs property tax collected on vacant land was a good trade off... All that gas you used driving to Austin this year helped contribute to the rising cost! haha

[quote name="hjhawks" post="997528" timestamp="1302830390"]

[/quote]

Exxon Mobile gets a local property tax break because the local counties decided the trade off of jobs created vs property tax collected on vacant land was a good trade off... All that gas you used driving to Austin this year helped contribute to the rising cost! haha
[/quote] Like I said 30 Billion Profit... Remember No Child Left Behind.... And just how many of those jobs that were created were for local people???  That is the one that could speak English... But you did get one thing right I spent over $300.00 on diesle on those trips to Austin, but it was worth ever dime + more ;D ;D But lets not forget the trip to Collage Station ;D ;D

[quote name="hjhawks" post="997528" timestamp="1302830390"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When one district gives a tax break, and ExxonMobil moves product from other districts at tax time to that district to avoid paying taxes......

I know it a sound business move, but is it right?  Dont pay taxes in other areas and write the tax break district a check.  Save millions of dollars that way. I do not buy fuel from them for that reason.  I know that what I spend in diesel is not that much in the overall scheme of things, its the principle.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder