Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[quote name="kicker" post="1000753" timestamp="1303397637"]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg1000750#msg1000750 date=1303397278]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82860.msg1000740#msg1000740 date=1303396755]
Oh, those dreaded words!!  "Now Coach thompson Loves you" BUT.  There was always a but. lol. It normally meant that you were in deep doo doo when he would say that. :D
[/quote] You see that Grin on his face when he said "We're going to work EVERYDAY"  :D
[/quote]

To this day it still makes me want to run for the hills when he says something like that. LOL.

For me, the comment was mostly "Thib, come see me real quick son".  Or when I would come in the back door of the fieldhouse before practice and he would be standing at the door and just smile at me then would say "Got dang son, what you been doing?" man my rear still hurts. Thank God we had those cold wooden benches. :D
[/quote] He was waiting with the P.O.W Peice Of The Wood.  :D

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="1000756" timestamp="1303398328"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82860.msg1000753#msg1000753 date=1303397637]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg1000750#msg1000750 date=1303397278]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82860.msg1000740#msg1000740 date=1303396755]
Oh, those dreaded words!!  "Now Coach thompson Loves you" BUT.  There was always a but. lol. It normally meant that you were in deep doo doo when he would say that. :D
[/quote] You see that Grin on his face when he said "We're going to work EVERYDAY"  :D
[/quote]

To this day it still makes me want to run for the hills when he says something like that. LOL.

For me, the comment was mostly "Thib, come see me real quick son".  Or when I would come in the back door of the fieldhouse before practice and he would be standing at the door and just smile at me then would say "Got dang son, what you been doing?" man my rear still hurts. Thank God we had those cold wooden benches. :D
[/quote] He was waiting with the P.O.W Peice Of The Wood.  :D
[/quote]

Close Coop, but no Cigar. It was P.O.T., Piece of the Tree. lol Ohhh buddy. it even had a baseball grip on it. and customized with colors and writing. They took pride in POT dicipline. :D

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="1000895" timestamp="1303417670"]
Youtube VIDEO  Van Wade Interviewing the WO-S Super

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EsNi68EO6Rs
[/quote]he sure seems to resemble another Colbert. Makes me wonder if he was really in the running now.

Great interview. He seems to be starting to understand that this isnt a regular school. there is alot of excelence expected at WOS and i believe that the academic part will strt to blosom back to where it used to be. i believe Mr. Colbert has the right attitude and determination to get it done.

No matter what happened before now, Colbert and crew DID do the right thing. Yes, I was worried, but I think that Dr Colbert should have won trust from everyone in the community now. I have the utmost trust in him and Mr Hill. I think we have all the right people in place now. We score with a couple of board members in the next election and we are looking good!

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="1000895" timestamp="1303417670"]
Youtube VIDEO  Van Wade Interviewing the WO-S Super

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EsNi68EO6Rs
[/quote]

Very impressive interview. He gets it and I think he will lead WOS to new heights.

[quote name="marshman" post="1001562" timestamp="1303531138"]
I saw (or read, can't remember) an interview with Coach T where he said he'll probably plan on running the ball a little more.  I think thats probably a good idea.
[/quote]

From what I have been told the last few days by several "in the know"(coaches, ect.) WOS will be scrapping the spread and going to either the veer or pro set, most likely the veer.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1001576" timestamp="1303559080"]
[quote author=marshman link=topic=82860.msg1001562#msg1001562 date=1303531138]
I saw (or read, can't remember) an interview with Coach T where he said he'll probably plan on running the ball a little more.  I think thats probably a good idea.
[/quote]

From what I have been told the last few days by several "in the know"(coaches, ect.) WOS will be scrapping the spread and going to either the veer or pro set, most likely the veer.
[/quote]
We ran the veer during our years as a 5A school and a few while in 4A.  I would prefer us to run out of the I-formation, but we'll see. The "I" gives you better options and makes it easier to pass when needed. Coach T is a little bit old school when it comes to this. Less risk, shortens the game, and keeps the defense off the field. Our returning QB is a better runner than passer, so that would play to our strength, at least for next year. 

[quote name="griff" post="1001581" timestamp="1303564249"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=82860.msg1001576#msg1001576 date=1303559080]
[quote author=marshman link=topic=82860.msg1001562#msg1001562 date=1303531138]
[/quote]

[/quote]
We ran the veer during our years as a 5A school and a few while in 4A.  I would prefer us to run out of the I-formation, but we'll see. The "I" gives you better options and makes it easier to pass when needed. Coach T is a little bit old school when it comes to this. Less risk, shortens the game, and keeps the defense off the field. Our returning QB is a better runner than passer, so that would play to our strength, at least for next year. 
[/quote]

I totally agree, griff.

To run any ground oriented offense other than what Orangefield runs, you have to have the people up front to block it. We have not had that kind of personnell since the early 90's at WOS. I think it would be a mistake to scrap the spread because it gets ALL of your athletes (of which we have an abundance) involved while minimizing your lack of size/ability up front. I totally understand wanting to shorten the game and play keep away. But you can only do that in a run oriented offense by moving the sticks and if you can't do that then you can't score and you just put more pressure on your defense. Nothing worse than run, run, run, punt. Run, run, run, punt.

I was watching our 1987 state title game against Rockwall a while back and I heard them say that the WOS line averaged 250 lbs... We ain't seen anything like that in years.

I also know Coach T knows and understands this as well. That's why I don't think you are going to see a bunch of conservatism. More, probably, but you wont see a wholesale change, IMO. At least I hope not.

IMO, the reason WOS has not seen more success the last couple of years has NOTHING to do with the type of offense or defense we run, but just not performing in the big game. Our last game the last 2 years we've had a total of 13 turnovers in those 2 games alone. You just can't win doing that.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1001592" timestamp="1303569035"]
To run any ground oriented offense other than what Orangefield runs, you have to have the people up front to block it. We have not had that kind of personnell since the early 90's at WOS. I think it would be a mistake to scrap the spread because it gets ALL of your athletes (of which we have an abundance) involved while minimizing your lack of size/ability up front. I totally understand wanting to shorten the game and play keep away. But you can only do that in a run oriented offense by moving the sticks and if you can't do that then you can't score and you just put more pressure on your defense. Nothing worse than run, run, run, punt. Run, run, run, punt.

I was watching our 1987 state title game against Rockwall a while back and I heard them say that the WOS line averaged 250 lbs... We ain't seen anything like that in years.

I also know Coach T knows and understands this as well. That's why I don't think you are going to see a bunch of conservatism. More, probably, but you wont see a wholesale change, IMO. At least I hope not.

IMO, the reason WOS has not seen more success the last couple of years has NOTHING to do with the type of offense or defense we run, but just not performing in the big game. Our last game the last 2 years we've had a total of 13 turnovers in those 2 games alone. You just can't win doing that.
[/quote] The spread wont be dumped completely. I do agree though on having to have a big Line.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1001607" timestamp="1303572450"]
The veer can work well with a small line.
[/quote]

Absolutely, we ran it when I was in HS, and you always have the angle for your block, with a pulling lineman for the kick-out. It maximizes quickness and speed, and even though I had neither, it still set you up for some devastating blocks.

WOS ran the veer for several years after we won state. When our offensive line declined, so did our offense. We quit running it for a reason. I would be extremely surprised if we ran it again. Coach T was one of the main reasons we quit running it.

If we are not in the spread, I would imagine it would be more of a pro style of offense similar to what we ran with Barry Norton.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1001733" timestamp="1303612174"]
WOS ran the veer for several years after we won state. When our offensive line declined, so did our offense. We quit running it for a reason. I would be extremely surprised if we ran it again. Coach T was one of the main reasons we quit running it.

If we are not in the spread, I would imagine it would be more of a pro style of offense similar to what we ran with Barry Norton.

[/quote]
Exactly, and I would be all for that.  Under Barry Norton, we ran a lot of I-formation sets with sufficient passing, especially during the Eric Anderson days.  Coach T said this week he wants to "run [i]a little more[/i]."  He won't insist on us being a "run at all cost" type team.  
I understand him to mean we'll increase the percentage of running plays compared to what we've done recently, but we won't become an archaic rushing team like the 80's Vidor squads (hopefully, we WON'T run the veer, either).  

With that in mind, if our returning QB is better as a runner than a passer, then don't force him to throw the ball too much.  I remember in 2001 we stayed in the spread with a QB who looked totally lost in this system.  He was not a good passer, but we forced him into the spread offense with too many passing plays and it stunk.  That's just as bad as being primarily a running team with a front full of 170 lb lineman.  

We can find some balance with a running game while still using our athleticism to stretch the field.  Oh yeah...and it would be a dream come true if we included a mix of passing into the middle of the field...something we've neglected for years.  All in all, I trust Cornel to make it work.  

[quote name="griff" post="1001744" timestamp="1303614264"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=82860.msg1001733#msg1001733 date=1303612174]

[/quote]
Exactly, and I would be all for that.  Under Barry Norton, we ran a lot of I-formation sets with sufficient passing, especially during the Eric Anderson days.  Coach T said this week he wants to "run [i]a little more[/i]."  He won't insist on us being a "run at all cost" type team.  
I understand him to mean we'll increase the percentage of running plays compared to what we've done recently, but we won't become an archaic rushing team like the 80's Vidor squads (hopefully, we WON'T run the veer, either).  

With that in mind, if our returning QB is better as a runner than a passer, then don't force him to throw the ball too much.  I remember in 2001 we stayed in the spread with a QB who looked totally lost in this system.  He was not a good passer, but we forced him into the spread offense with too many passing plays and it stunk.  That's just as bad as being primarily a running team with a front full of 170 lb lineman.  

We can find some balance with a running game while still using our athleticism to stretch the field.  Oh yeah...and it would be a dream come true if we included a mix of passing into the middle of the field...something we've neglected for years.  All in all, I trust Cornel to make it work.  
[/quote]

I agree Griff, it's about moving the chains... not a commitment to one style or another. As long as we play to our strengths and minimize our weaknesses we will be successful. Coach T has always been about that.

Honestly, I really wouldn't mind seeing us try a little of that OF offensive scheme. They don't rely on huge athletic lineman, it's more about misdirection and discipline and quickness up front. With our skill guys in that type of offense, those 25 yd runs I see OF get over and over would be 80 yd TD's. But, then you have the short drive issue again and your D is back on the field.

It is now official as the West Orange-Cove CISD school board has just approved Superintendent James Colbert's recommendation to hire Cornel Thompson as the next athletic director of the WO-C CISD and the next head football coach at West Orange-Stark High School.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin