Breaking news: Steve Roccoforte fired as Lamar Basketball Head Coach

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude you are a sports anchor at a local TV station and you come on a sports message board calling people idiots? That isn't real smart and everyone knows you and Roc are tight but I didn't jump off the Roc bandwagon until after about the 12th game this season.

I trust Coach Tidwell to make the best decisions on hiring and firing coaches.

Hopefully, he will get it right on this next one

Best of luck to Steve Roccaforte and his family. He is too good a recruiter and coach to be out of a job long.

Guest ECBucFan
Lets all wish Roc the best. Driving home today, I caught Gresham on KLVI, and he mentioned 12 of 13 of Rocs recruits all graduated. Blame Roc for not enough W's if you want to, but thats one stat thats real impressive. Good job, Roc!  :)    

[quote name="bigred360" post="982674" timestamp="1300145905"]
Dude you are a sports anchor at a local TV station and you come on a sports message board calling people idiots? That isn't real smart and everyone knows you and Roc are tight but I didn't jump off the Roc bandwagon until after about the 12th game this season.

I trust Coach Tidwell to make the best decisions on hiring and firing coaches.

Hopefully, he will get it right on this next one

Best of luck to Steve Roccaforte and his family. He is too good a recruiter and coach to be out of a job long.
[/quote]

No kidding man, if I was a sports anchor, I sure as heck wouldn't be on a board calling people idiots...

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="982670" timestamp="1300145282"]
All of you guys are idiots. Whoever the next coach is, you guys will be calling for him to be fired in mid season anyway so it doesn't matter who Lamar brings in.
[/quote]

If Lamar brings in another coach who can't coach then of course we'll want him fired.  Lamar's track record in hiring good coaches hasn't been that good these past 20 years so some of us old folks are getting a little jaded.  It's pretty sad that these days we get excited when they make the SLC tourney, and for Roc that goal was unreachable!   ::)

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="982676" timestamp="1300146021"]
Lets all wish Roc the best. Driving home today, I caught Gresham on KLVI, and he mentioned 12 of 13 of Rocs recruits all graduated. Blame Roc for not enough W's if you want to, [b]but thats one stat thats real impressive. Good job, Roc!  :)    [/b] [/quote]

I totally agree. That's one thing he did right.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="982676" timestamp="1300146021"]
Lets all wish Roc the best. Driving home today, I caught Gresham on KLVI, and he mentioned 12 of 13 of Rocs recruits all graduated. Blame Roc for not enough W's if you want to, but thats one stat thats real impressive. Good job, Roc!  :)    
[/quote]

I have to agree with you EC. He graduated his kids from college. That is a big plus in my book.....I hope and pray Coach Roc lands on his feet. It was just time to "move on" from this position.

The only idiot would be the guy that expected to keep his job after three straight sub .500 seasons in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA or his buddy!!! ::)

Probably best that you don't let your inner thoughts out as a member of the local media. Calling the people that pay your bills idiots is not smart!!! I just lost a lot of respect for you as a professional.

Roc is a great recruiter and has always been a good person every time I talked to him and interacted with him. It is to bad that it did not work out as I was pulling for him. I wish him luck for his future and that all ends well for him.

The only idiot would be the guy that expected to keep his job after three straight sub .500 seasons in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA or his buddy!!!

Probably best that you don't let your inner thoughts out as a member of the local media. Calling the people that pay your bills idiots is not smart!!! I just lost a lot of respect for you as a professional.

I didn't know I was employed by setxsports.com. I'll start sending my bills your way. If you get your feelings hurt over something on a fan board, I feel sorry for you. Oh come on, you lost a lot of respect for me as a professional? You don't even know me. Come pay me a visit, I'm at Parkdale all day everyday.

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="982696" timestamp="1300147846"]
The only idiot would be the guy that expected to keep his job after three straight sub .500 seasons in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA or his buddy!!!

I didn't know I was employed by setxsports.com. I'll start sending my bills your way. If you get your feelings hurt over something on a fan board, I feel sorry for you. Oh come on, you lost a lot of respect for me as a professional? You don't even know me. Come pay me a visit, I'm at Parkdale all day everyday.
[/quote]
I know you! I used to watch you on KBTV!
Who said anything about SETXSports.com being your employer?? We all know who you work for and it appears that you fail to realize that KBTV sports is a service provider that relies on it's local population as it's sole means of making money. Not smart to call those people idiots! Again it is very unprofessional.

The quote on Gresham about graduation only applied to the players that used all of their eligibility at Lamar.  Unfortunately that is not the way the NCAA measures graduation rates.  Once a recruit comes on campus if he does not stay or transfer and graduate on time the recruit counts as not having graduated and the University can be penalized.  There are a number of players that left early as stated earlier.  I believe if you go through the full list of basketball recruits that were listed on the roster over the past five years you will find more that left than used their eligibility at LU

This had to be a very tough decision for the LU administration.  People on this board are on both sides of the equation.  If you are an LU fan, you had to want Roc to be successful whether you liked him personally or not. But now is the time to make the right decision.  If Lamar really wants to take its athletic proram to the next level, it has to get the mens football and basketball program up to the level necessary to draw a strong and loyal contingent of fans.  I am a long suffering Bball fan who paid the license fee for seats in the Montagne when it opened.  My first year to have season tickets was Billy Tubbs first year as head coach.  It is really sad the current state of the program.  Another bust as head coach and I hate to image the depths the program could sink to.  I hope that the search committee doesn't just take applications, but they go out and seek someone who can get the job done.

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="982670" timestamp="1300145282"]
All of you guys are idiots. Whoever the next coach is, you guys will be calling for him to be fired in mid season anyway so it doesn't matter who Lamar brings in.
[/quote]

You are the one that said he was not leaving........look in the mirror on your statement!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder