Nederland vs. Galveston Ball

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BigRed42" post="976068" timestamp="1299127320"]
Did anyone see Ball play in the Nederland tourney? Are they quick, big, or deep? Does Nederland have a good shot if they come out firing on all cylinders?
[/quote]
Saw Ball in Nederland's tourney and yes they are quick and deep.  Two stud players.  Don't remember them being real big but not sure about that.  Should be a great game!

[quote name="BigRed42" post="976068" timestamp="1299127320"]
Did anyone see Ball play in the Nederland tourney? Are they quick, big, or deep? Does Nederland have a good shot if they come out firing on all cylinders?
[/quote]

I told you this the other day bud! Ball has two 6-5 guys, Evans(#4) and Pettaway(#2).. They both have range and ball handling.. Evans is a competitor and hates being out-worked in the paint.. Pettaway can knock down 3's if you let him sit out there and he can finish well around the rim.. They have another shooting guard that stretches the floor big time with his shot.. And they cycle through PGs with a 5-3 dude and and another guy around 6-0.. Chemistry is their biggest strength.. I got a good look at them in the Bulldog Classic in the games they played.. They win games because nobody can check Pettaway and Evans.. But I know for a fact Forney and Smith can compete against them ;)

If you want to see a good game, this is gonna be well worth your price of admission and a bag of popcorn

[quote name="BigRed42" post="976104" timestamp="1299128832"]
Maybe Ball comes out to Katy on Friday overlooking Nederland a bit and looking forward to district opponent LaMarque in the Regional Final game. If this happens and Nederland takes advantage of it, watch out.
[/quote]

Very well could be the case ;) From the games I saw, they warm-up cocky and like they have already won the game.. Almost cost them against Silsbee.. If they dont bring their "A" game, Nederland will beat them

[quote name="dogs1218" post="976117" timestamp="1299129381"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=81169.msg976114#msg976114 date=1299129242]
i'm expecting this to be the end of the line, but i hope nederland wins it.  kind of like dogs1218 and his opinion of the hj/cleveland game.
[/quote]

Glad I was wrong there! Go HJ!
[/quote]

and likewise, i hope to be wrong here  ;D

[quote name="dogs1218" post="976107" timestamp="1299128966"]
[quote author=BigRed42 link=topic=81169.msg976104#msg976104 date=1299128832]
Maybe Ball comes out to Katy on Friday overlooking Nederland a bit and looking forward to district opponent LaMarque in the Regional Final game. If this happens and Nederland takes advantage of it, watch out.
[/quote]

Very well could be the case ;) From the games I saw, they warm-up cocky and like they have already won the game.. Almost cost them against Silsbee.. If they dont bring their "A" game, Nederland will beat them
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]I doubt very seriously that Ball will overlook Nederland in anticipation of the 3rd match-up vs LM because Coach Temple won't allow them to do so. During district play after beating LM (2nd time) they came out flat against Dawson (83-74) and it made the final district race interesting. However it's win or go home now for the season and honestly speaking I just cant see Nederland pulling this one out. The trio of Petteway (6'6"), Evans (6"5) and Josh Brown (5'6") are the heart of this teams nucleus and the other 2 starters aren't slouches either. Petteway (19.2 PPG.) is a beast and if he get's hot from the outside it can make for a long night. He also isn't afraid to take it to the hole and slam it down your throat either. Evan's is the focal point of their team offensively (18.6 PPG) and defensively (2.6 blocks avg). Ball prefers to run you ragged and their press "D" leads to many fast breaks resulting in easy layups or slams. Because they are so quick and run that press they can turn a ten point deficit around in a blink of an eye. Jones was up last night 32-27 mid-late second then in a blink of an eye Ball went on a 10-0 run to take the lead 37-32 going into half time. The only chance I see Nederland having success is if they can slow the game down with half court sets ("O" and "D"), beat the press and get Evan's into foul trouble early. If it turns into a track meet it plays right into Balls game plan and this game could end up a 10+ victory for Ball. Remember, Humble is no Ball High so if Ned. doesn't bring their "A" game it could make for a long night? I'm not trying to dog on Nederland as this is simply my opinion. Good luck to both teams![/b][/color]

Nederland will beat Ball in the same fashion they beat Humble.....nothing fancy just good solid basketball in the 2nd half and making pressure free throws...Ball is aggressive but this will ultimately lead to their demise, as Nederland will win this game at the free-throw line

[quote name="5 on 5" post="976213" timestamp="1299160817"]
Nederland will beat Ball in the same fashion they beat Humble.....nothing fancy just good solid basketball in the 2nd half and making pressure free throws...Ball is aggressive but this will ultimately lead to their demise, as Nederland will win this game at the free-throw line
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]Sure they can beat Ball on any given night but because it's do or die now both Ball and Nederland will come to play. However, Humble is no Ball High as Petteway is going to Texas Tech while Evans is going to Texas A&M next year. The talent you'll be facing is far greater than what Ned has run into before. Slow the pace of the game down, get their big 2 in foul trouble and beat their press and Ned's chances are much better. It's not an impossibility for Ned to pull off an upset, just not likely IMO. [/b][/color]

I am not really worried about what college any kid is going to...I have watched many Lincoln/South Oak Cliff and Plano HS teams that have made deep runs in the playoffs and not sent a single kid to play college ball...

What I do know is that each team has their own style and from watching both teams over the past few months I think this should be a barn burner....Ball will try and pick the pace of the game up but Nederland has shown that scoring in transition is something they can do and slowing the game entirely is not what they have to do to win the game...Post play will be the difference in this game....If Nederland hangs on to the ball down the stretch I think they pull this one out....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder