Lamar to the WAC- April 2011

Cat79

Lets get back on topic.  I anyone has any really credible information about what the administration is doing in regards to whether they are pursuing an invite to the WAC I wish they would share it.  No names that would compromise the source, but something from a really credible source.  I saw the post earlier about " is Lamar screwing themselves out of an invite".  I can't say because we really don't know to the level that we are working on putting the plan together to make a move.  Maybe someone else knows.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="SabineRavine" post="971961" timestamp="1298604899"]
My posts are solely directed at UNLV in response to his deriding everyone who doesn't back his unfounded claims.  [/quote]

Which totally destroys any credibility you seek to engender on this forum.  Personal vendettas are a great idea on a message board.

[quote name="UNLV" post="971533" timestamp="1298568157"]
Also on the track for Tier 1.
[/quote]

Being on track for Tier 1 doesn't mean that LU is very near or very close to being Tier 1.  It means that it is a goal, there is a plan, and LU is working to put all the pieces together to attain Tier 1 status.  It will be awhile, but that is the goal.  I pray that Dr. Simmons health and energy remain at a high level and he is around at least another 5-7 years (or longer).  LU will have trancended into a really great university that we will all be proud of with his leadership.  I also hope that there is a succession plan that puts into the Presidency after Dr. Simmons retires a superior leader who will only continue to grow and improve Lamar.  That will be great for the region and all the alumni of LU!

P.S.  Latest census figure for the Golden Triangle Metro is 388,745 which is a modest increase from 2000.  Jefferson County is up slightly, Orange County is down slightly, and Hardin County had a nice increase.  Can't find any data yet on the cities.  Overall good news for the area.

[quote name="txstateassassin2011" post="972188" timestamp="1298653224"]
BUMP - Lamar to the WAC...my new avatar seals the deal
[/quote]I think many are starting to panic. I think unless something way out there and unimaginable happens in conference realignment, Lamar is a slam dunk to joining the WAC. I ULL is 65/35 in joining too.

[quote name="jdcurran235" post="972444" timestamp="1298678499"]
Check the wac board.  there are alot of haters on there right now.  mostly from the west.
[/quote]Good post on the WAC forum. Add this to your post
1.The Football program's signature win came on September 5, 1981, in an 18-17 win over the UPI #20 ranked Baylor Bears under Head Coach Larry Kennan. This would be the first time that a Division 1-AA team defeated a Division 1-A ranked opponent. The football program was dropped in 1989, largely due to budget overruns and declining attendance.

2. MBB sweet 16
3. WBB Elite 8
4. Golf finished 3rd in nation.

I need to join that forum to set them straight.

[quote name="jdcurran235" post="972884" timestamp="1298696792"]
Does anyone know the exact circumstances when we left the SBC orignally.  Where we asked to leave, or did we ask to leave?  Money? etc.
[/quote]

LU was not asked to leave.  They made the decision for financial reasons but is has always been my opinion that it was also done to try to save then Head Basketball coach Grey Giovanni's job as he was not very successful in the Sun Belt.  They also used the carrot to appease the fan base that Lu would be in a better position to bring football back as at the time the Sun Belt didn't have football much football as I remember.  And 12+ years later they did.  But we were not kicked out as some buffon on the WAC board suggested.

"Does anyone know the exact circumstances when we left the SBC orignally.  Where we asked to leave, or did we ask to leave?  Money? etc."

I was on the advisory committee to leave the SBC at the time. It had nothing to do with Grey Giovanni's (sp?) job (he was actually a good coach I think...especially by our current standard...as in so who do we have better at guard today than his Matt Sundblad?)...it was all about the growing realization that the decision to kill football was a disaster...and how to bring it back. There's a lot of bad history from those days...

In those days, Al Caldwell did the color with Dave for Lamar basketball. He was also an the advisory committee with me about leaving the SBC...he was the most most vocal about NOT doing so. He was passionate at the time about NOT re-joining the SLC...I know...I was there.

History has proven him right. He'll not get any credit likely for LAMAR sports...too bad, he should..but at the least, he'll get credit for being a rock and roll icon, Big "KayC" partner...and former Blue Cap...not sure anyone on this post will know what Blue Cap means...but to drift further, I have a table at Al Caldwell's 75th birthday party in Winnie with Chuck Berry this weekend...

[quote name="LamarTech" post="974319" timestamp="1298946719"]
"Does anyone know the exact circumstances when we left the SBC orignally.  Where we asked to leave, or did we ask to leave?  Money? etc."

I was on the advisory committee to leave the SBC at the time. It had nothing to do with Grey Giovanni's (sp?) job (he was actually a good coach I think...especially by our current standard...as in so who do we have better at guard today than his Matt Sundblad?)...it was all about the growing realization that the decision to kill football was a disaster...and how to bring it back. There's a lot of bad history from those days...

In those days, Al Caldwell did the color with Dave for Lamar basketball. He was also an the advisory committee with me about leaving the SBC...he was the most most vocal about NOT doing so. He was passionate at the time about NOT re-joining the SLC...I know...I was there.

History has proven him right. He'll not get any credit likely for LAMAR sports...too bad, he should..but at the least, he'll get credit for being a rock and roll icon, Big "KayC" partner...and former Blue Cap...not sure anyone on this post will know what Blue Cap means...but to drift further, I have a table at Al Caldwell's 75th birthday party in Winnie with Chuck Berry this weekend...
[/quote]

Sure  [color=blue]Blue Caps[color=black] were Gene Vincent's band back in the 60's...Al was the pianist.[/color][/color]

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="JJWooten" post="974552" timestamp="1298999318"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=79479.msg974476#msg974476 date=1298989174]
Why do we say SFA or SHSU but we don't say MBL?
[/quote]

Because about 1/2 of the students probably don't even know Lamar's first name.
[/quote]

Well, it ought to [b][i]Mirabeaux[/i][/b], anyway.  Regardless, his first name is not part of the official name of the university, is it? ???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder