Lamar to the WAC- April 2011

Cat79

I do believe Lamar will be added as the next WAC member.  Benson will be sending invites to teams in April.  If Lamar is given an invite and accepts this year would be your last year in FCS, Lamar would be FBS transitional in 2012 (which would count as FBS wins for WAC teams) and Bowl eligible in 2013.

Lamar would be on the same timetable as Texas State which is one year ahead of UTSA.  We have signed home and home series with Wyoming and Navy. Bobcat Stadium is scheduled to be complete with our new addition taking the capacity to 29,500.  Your old rival Louisiana Tech would be on your schedule again.

I hope you guys join us in the WAC. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Cat79" post="957210" timestamp="1296316725"]
I do believe Lamar will be added as the next WAC member.  Benson will be sending invites to teams in April.  If Lamar is given an invite and accepts this year would be your last year in FCS, Lamar would be FBS transitional in 2012 (which would count as FBS wins for WAC teams) and Bowl eligible in 2013.

Lamar would be on the same timetable as Texas State which is one year ahead of UTSA.  We have signed home and home series with Wyoming and Navy. Bobcat Stadium is scheduled to be complete with our new addition taking the capacity to 29,500.  Your old rival Louisiana Tech would be on your schedule again.

[/quote]

All Benson needs to do is  send the invite and we will be on are way.

[quote name="Cat79" post="957210" timestamp="1296316725"]

[/quote]

1st and last year in FCS.  I am taking a cautious approach.  [b]It is my preference[/b], but not a necessity to go FBS.  Saying that, I hope that Dr. Simmons is in the process of securing the funding that is necessary to have a real chance to be successful.  If we can't get the proper funding, it doesn't make sense to go forward

I believe Benson said any FCS team invited would be on Texas State's timeline to go FBS.  I think the NCAA rule is you must spend at least 2 years at the FCS level then 2 years transitioning to FBS.  Lamar was FCS this past year and will be FCS next year.  Getting invited to the WAC would mean they'd join in 2012 and would count as a FBS team but wouldn't be bowl eligible until 2014.  A few months ago Dr. Simmons stated in the Beaumont Enterprise the dream is for Lamar to be in Jan 1st bowl game in 2015.  Now is the time to take a big step forward towards that goal by joining the WAC.  I would assume Simmons and Tubbs are out talking to the big donors about this move because the stadium will need to be expanded.  It's a great FCS stadium but way too small for a FBS stadium.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="957242" timestamp="1296319972"]
[quote author=Cat79 link=topic=79479.msg957210#msg957210 date=1296316725]
I do believe Lamar will be added as the next WAC member.  Benson will be sending invites to teams in April.  If Lamar is given an invite and accepts this year would be your last year in FCS, Lamar would be FBS transitional in 2012 (which would count as FBS wins for WAC teams) and Bowl eligible in 2013.

Lamar would be on the same timetable as Texas State which is one year ahead of UTSA.  We have signed home and home series with Wyoming and Navy. Bobcat Stadium is scheduled to be complete with our new addition taking the capacity to 29,500.  Your old rival Louisiana Tech would be on your schedule again.

[/quote]

1st and last year in FCS.  I am taking a cautious approach.  [b]It is my preference[/b], but not a necessity to go FBS.  Saying that, I hope that Dr. Simmons is in the process of securing the funding that is necessary to have a real chance to be successful.  If we can't get the proper funding, it doesn't make sense to go forward
[/quote]

True North as you make a great point. Why move up if we can't financially support the move. I assume the administration has some people lined up to pony up some money if we go to a FBS conference.

Plus, Lamar may take it to the students to support a renovation of Provost Umphrey to the 32k Dr Simmons has said he has plans for. Then there are the additional scholarships, additional coaching salaries, additional sports and more expenses with travel.

If they sell it right to the students, I could see them passing an additional fee of $5-6 dollars per credit hour for an athletic fee.

The students already passed the football fee and the fee for the rec. center so I can see them willing to add $5 or $6 per credit hour to have a great stadium, start another woman's program and maybe two with swimming, renovations to stadiums for other sports and to be peers in a better conference like the WAC, Sun Belt or another FBS conference.

I think both Texas State and UTSA will be charging their students $20/semester hour while Lamar is only charging $8.25/semester hour, but I would hope Lamar could support football through donations and ticket sales instead.  But Woodard and staff are severely underpaid compared to other FBS coaches so that's at least another $200K a year they'll need to spend on the program, plus the extra 23 scholarships, and they still have to start the softball program and build a field for them.

[quote name="coachacola" post="957251" timestamp="1296320854"]
I believe Benson said any FCS team invited would be on Texas State's timeline to go FBS.  I think the NCAA rule is you must spend at least 2 years at the FCS level then 2 years transitioning to FBS.  Lamar was FCS this past year and will be FCS next year.  Getting invited to the WAC would mean they'd join in 2012 and would count as a FBS team but wouldn't be bowl eligible until 2014.  A few months ago Dr. Simmons stated in the Beaumont Enterprise the dream is for Lamar to be in Jan 1st bowl game in 2015.  Now is the time to take a big step forward towards that goal by joining the WAC.  I would assume Simmons and Tubbs are out talking to the big donors about this move because the stadium will need to be expanded.  It's a great FCS stadium but way too small for a FBS stadium.
[/quote]

Texas State has three more build outs to Bobcat Stadium which will eventually be 35-40,000 with a third deck.  We bowl in the north side for the first buildout in 2012 which takes the capacity to 29,500. We have secured more than half the money from donations from alumni and friends of the university to fund the current stadium expansion to be completed for the 2012 season.

Problem for Lamar expanding Provost-Umphrey is we have the Montagne Center on one end and the athletic complex on the other. Then one side of the stadium is within 500-1000 feet of the feeder road to MLK.

IMO, I would change the feeder road and make it one exit to the Athletic Complex. Then I would close the road from there to the Montagne Center. This would give architectural firm the room to add an upper deck on both sides of the stadium with a small bowl at the Montagne Center end of the facility.

Then, I would have a multi level press box and suites on the home side of the complex. IMO, at least 3 levels so it would be user friendly to the coaching staffs of both schools, the media which includes the SID's of both school and TV and radio media, and finally the suites for the major donors still named in honor of the Morgan's.

[quote name="bigred360" post="957264" timestamp="1296322851"]
Problem for Lamar expanding Provost-Umphrey is we have the Montagne Center on one end and the athletic complex on the other. Then one side of the stadium is within 500-1000 feet of the feeder road to MLK.

IMO, I would change the feeder road and make it one exit to the Athletic Complex. Then I would close the road from there to the Montagne Center. This would give architectural firm the room to add an upper deck on both sides of the stadium with a small bowl at the Montagne Center end of the facility.

Then, I would have a multi level press box and suites on the home side of the complex. IMO, at least 3 levels so it would be user friendly to the coaching staffs of both schools, the media which includes the SID's of both school and TV and radio media, and finally the suites for the major donors still named in honor of the Morgan's.
[/quote]

We had built our pressbox and suites first.  It was a $17 million addition and paid in full when it opened two season ago.  Suites were sold for $30,000 per year which is renewable or a company could buy the rights for $1 million cash permanently.  This is a revenue generator which becomes a source of funding for the future.

I am pretty sure you can have a small bowl on both ends of the stadium, but it would obstruct the view of the Athletic Complex, but if seating is necessary, you have to do what you have to do.  I don't see PU ever being much more than 30-32K with the Athlectic complex being so close on the south end and the Montagne on the North end.  Hopefully any final expansion includes the suites that you mentioned 360!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="957270" timestamp="1296323444"]
I am pretty sure you can have a small bowl on both ends of the stadium, but it would obstruct the view of the Athletic Complex, but if seating is necessary, you have to do what you have to do.  I don't see PU ever being much more than 30-32K with the Athlectic complex being so close on the south end and the Montagne on the North end.  Hopefully any final expansion includes the suites that you mentioned 360!
[/quote]

Actually, you could add upper decks like the plan Texas State is using.  The issue is parking and parking garages would need to be included in future expansion.  

We are going to see an increase in our ticket prices but will still be more affordable than what University of Texas or Texas A & M charge.  I see our tickets having to go to similar pricing to what Rice and Houston charge

[quote name="bigred360" post="957272" timestamp="1296323560"]
Lamar had suites this year built onto the Montagne Center and they were sold for $25,000 with a 3 year commitment.

http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/articles/221_8641.htm
[/quote]

That is a good revenue stream.

We have field boxes and suites.  I have a close friend that has a field box.  They are very nice and look similar to what the Houston Texans field level offers with bars, LCD TV's, couches and plush chairs.  They can have a mixed drink at their level for $3-4.  Food can be ordered to their seats.

Here is information about suites and club seats (I call these field boxes).
The Jerry D. and Linda Gregg Fields Bobcat Stadium West Side Complex includes the addition of a Legacy Suite Level and Champions Club Level with a total cost of $17 million.

The architect-engineering firm for the expansion is O'Connell Robertson and Associates, the contractor is Austin Commercial and the project manager is Broaddus and Associates.

The Legacy Suite Level includes 15 suites. Each of the suites feature 12 permanent seats and four bar stools. Amenities include season tickets to home games, full kitchenettes, refrigerators and cabinets, a flat-screen television, operable windows that open and close for climate-controlled comfort, four VIP parking passes, and a suite attendant to ensure that Bobcat fans and their guests have the experience of a lifetime. Each suite also contains an elegant plaque that recognizes the contributions to the Bobcat football program.

The Champions Club Level features 450 club seats. The club level includes covered, outdoor seating and also an indoor banquet-style area with tables and additional seating. Packages include pre-game food and game tickets with pricing tied to seat location.

[quote name="bigred360" post="957286" timestamp="1296325416"]
That sounds really nice but for $17 million it better.  8) Off the subject, I read a little on Coach Fran's coaching staff and they sound really good. Congratulations!

[/quote]
Thanks,  Fran has managed to put together an amazing group of coaches.  They have a lot of energy and knowledge.  Three of them were coaches for him when at TCU and New Mexico.  This staff has really recruited well in the short period of time at Texas State.  We have many 2 & 3 star recruits.

I have been around since 1975 watching Bobcat football. I had really enjoyed our teams in 1991 & 92 when Fran arrived at SWT.  We were not as talented as other teams in the SLC but aggressive on defense.  He won two years and was offered the New Mexico job.  Rudy Davalos was the AD at New Mexico at the time.  Rudy was voted All American in baskeball while at SWT.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kabamok245
    Newest Member
    kabamok245