Lamar to the WAC- April 2011

Cat79

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ratofallaggies" post="957423" timestamp="1296348023"]
USU Aggie here, would like to see you guys in the WAC.  This is the league i would like to see with expansion.  Feel free to come chat on our board as well. http://www.usufans.com/Forums/

North
NDSU
Montana
Idaho
USU
SJSU
Eastern Washington

South
UNT
NMSU
UTSA
TSU
Lamar
La Tech
[/quote]

Ratofallaggies welcome to the board thanks for the link.

[quote name="ratofallaggies" post="957452" timestamp="1296351532"]
I don't know much about you guys.  How are your basketball/football teams?  Any facility upgrades?  What kind of alumni support do you have?
[/quote]Your board doesn't seem very happy with Lamar joining. Would they be happier if the WAC lose it's FBS because not enough football schools. I remember USU and Lamar playing a few great games in basketball in the 80's.

[quote name="UNLV" post="957464" timestamp="1296352855"]
[quote author=ratofallaggies link=topic=79479.msg957452#msg957452 date=1296351532]
I don't know much about you guys.  How are your basketball/football teams?  Any facility upgrades?  What kind of alumni support do you have?
[/quote]Your board doesn't seem very happy with Lamar joining. Would they be happier if the WAC lose it's FBS because not enough football schools. I remember USU and Lamar playing a few great games in basketball in the 80's.
[/quote]

You have to understand that it was just a week ago that things were looking really good for USU into the MWC.  A lot of the people over there are still upset about being left out of the MWC and are still delusional about still getting in.  Lamar will be a great addition and as soon as people start to learn more about you guys they'll like the idea.

[/quote]

Our women's basketball team is really good the men's is totally different story right now, and we just recently brought back football last season.

Our basketball teams play in the Montagne Center. There are future plans to add a practice facility and a new scoreboard.
[IMG]http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/SevereCustoms/MontagneCenter.jpg[/img]

Our football team plays in Provost Umphrey Stadium, as of this moment all I know is that the stadium can be expanded to seat 30k-32k.
[IMG]http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/SevereCustoms/ProvostUmphreystadium.jpg[/img]

We just build a new athletic complex that is first class all the way.
http://www.lamarcardinals.com/photogallery/gallery_index.html?school=lama&sport=&

We have plans on renovating our baseball stadium and we are going to be adding softball in the next couple of years so we will be building a new softball stadium as well.

And as for Alumni support, with the addition of football the support for LAMAR is at a all time high. Not only with the alumni but with Beaumont and the greater Beaumont area.

[quote name="UNLV" post="957464" timestamp="1296352855"]
[quote author=ratofallaggies link=topic=79479.msg957452#msg957452 date=1296351532]
[/quote]

I don't really blame them.  If Lamar indeed does join the WAC then hopefully Tidwell will hire the right coach this time and bring back some great basketball and big crowds.  I can see 6K+ crowds back in the Montagne like in the 1980s against Utah State, La Tech and New Mexico State.

I can understand why they are not to happy with the possibility of [color=red]LAMAR[/color] moving to the WAC, I would feel the same way if we were going to stay in the Southland and they brought up DII schools to replace TSU and UTSA. All we can do is put the best teams we can together and win games. That's the only way you can prove yourself to everybody.

The WAC is not the ideal perfect conference to move back to the highest level of football, yet we don't insult them.
Does USU know Lamar played at the highest level in football before and is the victim of horrible leadership instead of a
a newbie label. The WAC needs 8 FBS teams to remain FBS. So the WAC needs Lamar as much as Lamar needs the WAC.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="957351" timestamp="1296335812"]
Based on the info I have received in the last 2 days, consider this a done deal. LU will be a member of the WAC. They will get the invite and will accept. Was told we could get an announcement of this very soon.
[/quote]

AAW, are you hearing any info on funding this move?  Time table to expand the PU stadium?  If you can share some info without compromising your sources please do so?  Have to give LAZEEK some credit.  He was out front on this one.  Hope that the LU community will really rally around this move and propel the athletic program and the University to new heights!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="957509" timestamp="1296360471"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79479.msg957351#msg957351 date=1296335812]
Based on the info I have received in the last 2 days, consider this a done deal. LU will be a member of the WAC. They will get the invite and will accept. Was told we could get an announcement of this very soon.
[/quote]

AAW, are you hearing any info on funding this move?  Time table to expand the PU stadium?  If you can share some info without compromising your sources please do so?  Have to give LAZEEK some credit.  He was out front on this one.  Hope that the LU community will really rally around this move and propel the athletic program and the University to new heights!
[/quote]Check out the dates on these articles

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/52604-could-the-wac-be-looking-to-move-back-into-texas
http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=253638

Here's the original drawing of the stadium back in 1964 when it was built showing the stadium bowled in. Now that there's the Montagne Center on the north end and a larger athletic complex on the south end, it limits capacity.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2569584722_53f4a78cfd.jpg

I don't know much about you guys.  How are your basketball/football teams?  Any facility upgrades?  What kind of alumni support do you have?
[/quote]

http://www.lamar.edu/

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/index-main.html

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/facilities/lama-facilities.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_University

http://www.brb.state.tx.us/cep_search.aspx?action=fin

Hope this helps with getting to know us at Lamar University.

[quote name="jdcurran" post="957608" timestamp="1296402316"]
Here's the original drawing of the stadium back in 1964 when it was built showing the stadium bowled in. Now that there's the Montagne Center on the north end and a larger athletic complex on the south end, it limits capacity.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2569584722_53f4a78cfd.jpg
[/quote]

While at the last home game I was looking at how the athletic complex was built and it appears to me it was planned to wrap the seating around over the two lower ends of the building but still have room for seating between the field and the big scoreboard.  On the Montagne Center end there's room for some seating, like at Texas Tech's stadium where one end zone has a few seats between the field and that building.  There's enough room for a 30K to 40K seat stadium along with some big press boxes and suites on each side.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="957509" timestamp="1296360471"]
[/quote]

AAW, [b]are you hearing any info on funding this move?[/b]  Time table to expand the PU stadium?  If you can share some info without compromising your sources please do so?  Have to give LAZEEK some credit.  He was out front on this one.  Hope that the LU community will really rally around this move and propel the athletic program and the University to new heights!
[/quote]

According to what I was told, those "ducks are in a row", but we never talked the logistics of it. I understood that some donors are "waiting in the wings". ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="957636" timestamp="1296407062"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=79479.msg957509#msg957509 date=1296360471]
[/quote]

AAW, [b]are you hearing any info on funding this move?[/b]  Time table to expand the PU stadium?  If you can share some info without compromising your sources please do so?  Have to give LAZEEK some credit.  He was out front on this one.  Hope that the LU community will really rally around this move and propel the athletic program and the University to new heights!
[/quote]

According to what I was told, those "ducks are in a row", but we never talked the logistics of it. I understood that some donors are "waiting in the wings". ;)
[/quote]

They would have to be or it just isn't realistic to be talking this move.  It going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few months.

Per TexasTerror: (The Golden Triangle clan is doing their best impersonation of Utah State fan on the MWC board by making it pretty clear they are going WAC. In fact, all the folks in Beaumont are saying on their forums that the rumors are getting louder from 'sources' within the athletic department. )

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="957788" timestamp="1296438673"]
TexasTerror is just a J.D.......................JEALOUS DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

He's just angry Sam is one of the worst schools in the state. The best thing about that place is that prisoners are locked up there.

[quote name="AJ25" post="957805" timestamp="1296441475"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=79479.msg957788#msg957788 date=1296438673]
[/quote]

He's just angry Sam is one of the worst schools in the state. The best thing about that place is that prisoners are locked up there.
[/quote]

As opposed to the STD infested prisoners located about 5 miles away from Lamar?

Hi pot, I'm kettle.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="957817" timestamp="1296444121"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=79479.msg957805#msg957805 date=1296441475]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi pot, I'm kettle.
[/quote]

Just pushing some buttons. ;) I've got a lot of friends at Sam that love it.

[quote name="AJ25" post="957805" timestamp="1296441475"]He's just angry Sam is one of the worst schools in the state. The best thing about that place is that prisoners are locked up there.
[/quote]

One of the worst schools? You realize you just caught up with us as far as Carnegie ratings go.  UNLV tried bragging about Lamar being one of 27 schools or so... only to find out SHSU was already waiting around for Lamar to catch up! ;)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="AJ25" post="957838" timestamp="1296448643"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=79479.msg957817#msg957817 date=1296444121]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=79479.msg957805#msg957805 date=1296441475]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi pot, I'm kettle.
[/quote]

Just pushing some buttons. ;) I've got a lot of friends at Sam that love it.
[/quote]

I've got a lot of friends in both of those prisons that were mentioned but they're not too crazy about either place. :o :o :D

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="957874" timestamp="1296482850"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=79479.msg957805#msg957805 date=1296441475]He's just angry Sam is one of the worst schools in the state. The best thing about that place is that prisoners are locked up there.
[/quote]

One of the worst schools? You realize you just caught up with us as far as Carnegie ratings go.  UNLV tried bragging about Lamar being one of 27 schools or so... only to find out SHSU was already waiting around for Lamar to catch up! ;)
[/quote]Yeah LU fell behind because of poor and greedy leadership, however LU has caught up and is surpassing SHSU.
LU has already caught up in football, FCS, and will soon go FBS. LU is almost caught up and will surpass SHSU in student population.
LU is on track to be an 80 million dollars research University.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder