Commissioner says WAC has new members lined up

bigred360, you have some valid points. My statement was if LU wants to CONTINUE to fill the stands, they will have to CONTINUE to recruit locally. I know they're already recruiting locally and doing a good job RIGHT now getting the local kids. It was just an opinion from me. BTW, I own LU shirts, and hats too! I also have a Saints shirt, but just to let you know, I didn't play in the NFL. Everybody I see now, I have to tell them to take off thier sports shirts, jackets, and any other appearal if they didn't play major league baseball, football, basketball, ping pong or whatever for that team. I'm sure all of the people that walk around this area with UT shirts went to UT. Nevermind, thier t-shirt fans, just like everybody that wears NFL shirts ::) Also, I don't care if there wasn't a mid-county player on the team or not.

[b]"You do know the difference in major college and small college football, right? Watching Lamar this year was like watching small college football. We are very talented at the WR position and they make some catches that were ESPN worthy. Maybe you can take time and watch the highlights of last season on the Lamar website and you can see for yourself"[/b] Yes, I know the difference, but if your wanting to go to the WAC or another bigger conference like that, you have to quit making the small college excuse.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="951460" timestamp="1295490389"]
BigRed360, I said for people to continue to go to games they will have to continue recruiting from this area or recruit [b]five star [/b]players. Everybody wants them going to the WAC and other mid major conferences, so LU will have to recruit better. Thats just my opinion and it's way different then yours. Figured you to be a yankee by your mouth. Sorry you get your feelings hurt when someone says thier opinion, but if if your going to sit thier and say that watching Lamar football this year was like watching college football your kidding yourself. I don't care how [roud you are of LU and your family track record. I just want to see LU drastically improve the football program to compete year in year out. I didn't expect them to be a top notch team the first year, but I was surprised at the lack of fundementals that I observed.
[/quote]

There aren't any FIVE STAR recruits going to any southland school you idiot!!!!  This shows your lack of knowledge right here!!!

[quote name="sleepy" post="952320" timestamp="1295637880"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=78804.msg951460#msg951460 date=1295490389]
BigRed360, I said for people to continue to go to games they will have to continue recruiting from this area or recruit [b]five star [/b]players. Everybody wants them going to the WAC and other mid major conferences, so LU will have to recruit better. Thats just my opinion and it's way different then yours. Figured you to be a yankee by your mouth. Sorry you get your feelings hurt when someone says thier opinion, but if if your going to sit thier and say that watching Lamar football this year was like watching college football your kidding yourself. I don't care how [roud you are of LU and your family track record. I just want to see LU drastically improve the football program to compete year in year out. I didn't expect them to be a top notch team the first year, but I was surprised at the lack of fundementals that I observed.
[/quote]

There aren't any FIVE STAR recruits going to any southland school you idiot!!!!  This shows your lack of knowledge right here!!!
[/quote]

There aren't many going to the remaining WAC members either

[quote name="sleepy" post="952320" timestamp="1295637880"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I understand that and watch your mouth! My point was if you can't get the five star players then you are left with CONTINUING to recruit locally houston area over this way. Be very careful what you call people, you don't see calling you that do you?

See there are more people than just me upset with your comments. The NFL and other Pro sports teams comparison is a little lame.  

I'm done with this debate as I have more important things to do. Have a nice day!

BTW, I listened to the Coach Tidwell show last night and he said there are more conferences than just the WAC looking at Lamar. He said he expected a big shakeup in the WAC, Sun Belt and C-USA in the next 6-8 weeks.

He mentioned no conference has talked to him directly but he knows of a couple that are looking at Lamar.

Lamar doesn't need 4 and 5 star recruits to be successful in the WAC or any other non-BCS conference.  Take a look at Boise State's commitment list on rivals, they get mostly 2 and 3 star players.  They may get a few 4 star players but no 5 star players.  Lamar is already getting a few 2 and 3 star players now so if they do move to the WAC they should be able to get more of them.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="952328" timestamp="1295638409"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=78804.msg952320#msg952320 date=1295637880]
[/quote]You'd be hard pressed to find a 5-star recruit on Boise or any other departing WACer

[/quote]

There aren't many going to the remaining WAC members either
[/quote]

[quote name="bigred360" post="952352" timestamp="1295640152"]
See there are more people than just me upset with your comments. The NFL and other Pro sports teams comparison is a little lame.  

I'm done with this debate as I have more important things to do. Have a nice day!

[b]BTW, I listened to the Coach Tidwell show last night and he said there are more conferences than just the WAC looking at Lamar. He said he expected a big shakeup in the WAC, Sun Belt and C-USA in the next 6-8 weeks. [/b]

He mentioned no conference has talked to him directly but he knows of a couple that are looking at Lamar.
[/quote]

Looks like Lamar will definitely leave the SLC if another conference offers an invite.  Hopefully Tidwell has some good connections and just didn't read about that off the internet.  ???

i got out my crystal ball...i see those 2 florida skools in the sunbelt..fiu and fla at..going somewhere else...appy st and ga southern wanna move up somewhere...ULM oughta drop to the Southland...i think there will be a major shakeup in a year or two in the sunbelt, and possibly a new  FBS conference  along the east coast...

and if the NCAA every sticks to their 15,000 minimum attendance to stay FBS...things will really get shaken up

BTW, I listened to the Coach Tidwell show last night and he said there are more conferences than just the WAC looking at Lamar. He said he expected a big shakeup in the WAC, Sun Belt and C-USA in the next 6-8 weeks.

[/quote]Wow, I can't imagine a FBS conference outside the WAC and Sun looking at Lamar.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="952464" timestamp="1295653955"]
[b]and if the NCAA every sticks to their 15,000 minimum attendance to stay FBS...things will really get shaken up[/b]
[/quote]
FBS would lose many programs....Rice, half the SunBelt, half of the MAC, Tulane, the remnants of the WAC.  It would be interesting to see which programs would be affected.  I think if a program fails to meet the 15K minimum the NCAA gives them a warning or puts them on probation.  Something like that.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="952767" timestamp="1295671652"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg952464#msg952464 date=1295653955]
[b]and if the NCAA every sticks to their 15,000 minimum attendance to stay FBS...things will really get shaken up[/b]
[/quote]
FBS would lose many programs....Rice, half the SunBelt, half of the MAC, Tulane, the remnants of the WAC.  It would be interesting to see which programs would be affected.  I think if a program fails to meet the 15K minimum the NCAA gives them a warning or puts them on probation.  Something like that.
[/quote]

Tulane usually averages around 20.

The lowest total TU had last year at a home game was 16K against Rice. The highest total TU had last year was 38K against Ole Miss.

[quote name="UNLV" post="953819" timestamp="1295889126"]
How do you enforce the rule?   
[/quote]

I think if your average attendance falls below 15K after 2-3 years, you should be put on probation for another 2-3 years. If you still cannot get your average attendance above 15K, you should be forced down to FCS.

They need to get rid of the FBS/FCS distinction.  Not sure what makes football different than the other sports.  If you want to have football, then have football.  Like all the other D1 sports, the major conferences dominate and nobody else gets much attention.  Let it be the same for football.  Why even bother with the stupid attendance rule?  If nobody goes to a schools football games, then they probably suck and the school can finance the team through other means like student fees or donations.

The people who complain most about teams going FBS are the fans of other FBS schools in conferences that suck, like the Sun Belt, because more FBS schools just drains away the little talent they are getting now.  It makes it easier for them to win when they have less competition.  The fans of other FCS schools also don't like schools moving up because they get left in media vacuum that is FCS football.  The FCS championship games draws about the same amount of viewers as the worst FBS bowl game.

Hopefully Lamar announces their move to the WAC soon because being even being a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UL-Monroe beats staying in the SLC any day of the week.

[/quote]

The Coach Tidwell show is now on the Lamar website.  Go to the 19 minute mark to hear him talk about conference realignment.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/

[quote name="coachacola" post="953858" timestamp="1295894312"]
They need to get rid of the FBS/FCS distinction.  Not sure what makes football different than the other sports.  If you want to have football, then have football.  Like all the other D1 sports, the major conferences dominate and nobody else gets much attention.  Let it be the same for football.  Why even bother with the stupid attendance rule?  If nobody goes to a schools football games, then they probably suck and the school can finance the team through other means like student fees or donations.

[b]The people who complain most about teams going FBS are the fans of other FBS schools in conferences that suck, like the Sun Belt[/b], because more FBS schools just drains away the little talent they are getting now.  It makes it easier for them to win when they have less competition.  The fans of other FCS schools also don't like schools moving up because they get left in media vacuum that is FCS football.  The FCS championship games draws about the same amount of viewers as the worst FBS bowl game.

Hopefully Lamar announces their move to the WAC soon because being even being a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UL-Monroe beats staying in the SLC any day of the week.
[/quote]
And Lamar would welcome an invite to the "sucky" Sun Belt or the soon-to-be "super sucky" Wacy conference.  Remember this Coachocola, the Sun Belt is only ten years old.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="953904" timestamp="1295901297"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg953858#msg953858 date=1295894312]

[b]The people who complain most about teams going FBS are the fans of other FBS schools in conferences that suck, like the Sun Belt[/b], because more FBS schools just drains away the little talent they are getting now.  It makes it easier for them to win when they have less competition.  The fans of other FCS schools also don't like schools moving up because they get left in media vacuum that is FCS football.  The FCS championship games draws about the same amount of viewers as the worst FBS bowl game.

[/quote]
And Lamar would welcome an invite to the "sucky" Sun Belt or the soon-to-be "super sucky" Wacy conference.  Remember this Coachocola, the Sun Belt is only ten years old.
[/quote]

I agree.  But on the Sun Belt board lots of posters are hoping the WAC folds.  My point is that Lamar needs to get it's foot in the FBS door, no matter what conference it is or how bad it is because hardly anyone considers FCS football D1-level football.  I'm not putting down the Sun Belt, I'm just saying that an heirarchy exists in the college sports world and Lamar needs to move up, even though there's a lot of voices out there that doesn't want that to happen.

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="953926" timestamp="1295904983"]
"Hopefully Lamar announces their move to the WAC soon because being even being a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UL-Monroe beats staying in the SLC any day of the week. "

[b]Even if you can't beat those teams?[/b]
[/quote]

Lamar certainly can't beat them if they stay FCS.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    asfdefsa02
    Newest Member
    asfdefsa02