Commissioner says WAC has new members lined up

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="949465" timestamp="1295222612"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg949458#msg949458 date=1295221966]
[quote author=RS73 link=topic=78804.msg949441#msg949441 date=1295219420]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg949434#msg949434 date=1295218524]
It took a while but SETX did support the basketball team very well in the 1980s.  Putting together a winner year after year does wonders for attendance.  Although the team has been mostly mediocre (to put it nicely) for years, Lamar still leads in the SLC in attendance.

Even this year Texas had a lot of empty seats in their last few games, so even one of premiere teams in the country has to win or fans will stop showing up.  It's been repeated many times, but not matter if Lamar stays in the SLC or goes to the WAC, they have to win or it won't matter much.
[/quote]

+1

If we win, we won't have to worry about attendance. There are enough people in this area that loves football to pack a 40,000 to 50,000 seat stadium. Just win, baby!
[/quote]

yeah, sure...if it isnt cold, aTm and texas and lsu are off, PNG isnt playing,the cable goes out and the coach taters cant watch the big ten and the fighting Irish are coming to town
[/quote]

Puddin tane your a idiot he said if the support was there and we win we could fill a 40-50k seat stadium, you should make sure you understand the post before you comment on it.
[/quote]

I'm an idiot?  you silly twit
.....there is no way in H--- 50,000 "people in this area" are gonna go to a Lamar game...dreaming is one thing, drinking too much mushroom tea is another...Try a dose of reality

now..when we play at kyle field and there are 80,000 ppl, 79,000 of em aggies..does that count in your delusional lil mind?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puddin, just curious in your reasoning as to why we can't ever have 50000 at a game? If we build a successful program that is winning on a regular basis there is no reason we can't pull that off. You have to change the culture. I really believe that change of small crappy Lamar is really starting to change and we are moving up to compete with the bigger guys with a bigger better attitude. The excitement and belief is really spreading quick.

[quote name="AJ25" post="949593" timestamp="1295234552"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78804.msg949588#msg949588 date=1295233007]
At UNLV we had each dorm organize trips to the game. We would march to the Thomas and Mack as a group.
We did the same thing for football. We'll we didn't march to Sam Boyd, those without cars took the city bus.
It was fun going as a group. 
[/quote]

That's the kind of stuff that college is about..

That is one downside to Lamar.. You don't get the right "college" feel because it is a commuter campus. If more people lived on campus, the school would make more money, more activities would take place, better crowds, etc...

Does Lamar have any rules with having to live on campus?
I know some schools make freshman HAVE to live on campus their first year. Or you have to spend like 30 hours of your degree living on campus. If Lamar did that, a lot of things would change.
[/quote]

[b]More than 2,200 students live in campus residence halls, compared to 600 in 2000. The 500 additional beds in Phase 4 of Cardinal Village, completed this month, filled quickly. Private housing near campus brings the total to about 3,500.

http://www.lamar.edu/admin/content/4193_5611.htm[/b]

This is from 2007-2008 academic year. So, with phase 5 there are over 4,000 students living on or near campus.

If someone wishes to find something more updated about on campus housing it would be appreciated.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="949651" timestamp="1295248702"]
[quote author=LU4LIFE link=topic=78804.msg949465#msg949465 date=1295222612]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg949458#msg949458 date=1295221966]
[quote author=RS73 link=topic=78804.msg949441#msg949441 date=1295219420]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg949434#msg949434 date=1295218524]
It took a while but SETX did support the basketball team very well in the 1980s.  Putting together a winner year after year does wonders for attendance.  Although the team has been mostly mediocre (to put it nicely) for years, Lamar still leads in the SLC in attendance.

Even this year Texas had a lot of empty seats in their last few games, so even one of premiere teams in the country has to win or fans will stop showing up.  It's been repeated many times, but not matter if Lamar stays in the SLC or goes to the WAC, they have to win or it won't matter much.
[/quote]

+1

If we win, we won't have to worry about attendance. There are enough people in this area that loves football to pack a 40,000 to 50,000 seat stadium. Just win, baby!
[/quote]

yeah, sure...if it isnt cold, aTm and texas and lsu are off, PNG isnt playing,the cable goes out and the coach taters cant watch the big ten and the fighting Irish are coming to town
[/quote]

Puddin tane your a idiot he said if the support was there and we win we could fill a 40-50k seat stadium, you should make sure you understand the post before you comment on it.
[/quote]

I'm an idiot?  you silly twit
.....there is no way in H--- 50,000 "people in this area" are gonna go to a Lamar game...dreaming is one thing, drinking too much mushroom tea is another...Try a dose of reality

now..when we play at kyle field and there are 80,000 ppl, 79,000 of em aggies..does that count in your delusional lil mind?

[/quote]

Billy Tubbs once said "Your only limitation in life is your imagination". Maybe I'm dreamer, but I believe there enough people in the Golden Triangle, after a lot of years of winning football to fill a 40,000 to 50,000 Provost Umphrey Stadium.

Which programs in the state of Texas have ever had 50,000+ fans in the stands for a football game?  Texas, Texas A & M, and Texas Tech.  The big dogs of the Old SWC and now the B12-10.  Sure, if you have a stadium that can hold 50K and you can get one of those programs to grace your campus, you'll fill the stadium up-  with aggie$, whorns, or raider fans.

As fine a program as TCU has developed over the past 10-12 years, the average about 32-35K fans per home game, depending on their opponent.  That may change for TCU now that they will move to the big East.  But I doubt it.  Rice only gets large crowds when Texas or the Aggie$ come to town, and 90% of the fans are horns or aggies which makes it a home game for them.  Same for Houston.

On top of that, enlarging Cardinal Stadium to 50K will cost mucho money, so you better have a Daddy Warbucks or two to cover the cost.

Not trying to keep you guys down, but ya'll need to be reasonable.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="949709" timestamp="1295278475"]
Which programs in the state of Texas have ever had 50,000+ fans in the stands for a football game?  Texas, Texas A & M, and Texas Tech.  The big dogs of the Old SWC and now the B12-10.  Sure, if you have a stadium that can hold 50K and you can get one of those programs to grace your campus, you'll fill the stadium up-  with aggie$, whorns, or raider fans.

As fine a program as TCU has developed over the past 10-12 years, the average about 32-35K fans per home game, depending on their opponent.  That may change for TCU now that they will move to the big East.  But I doubt it.  Rice only gets large crowds when Texas or the Aggie$ come to town, and 90% of the fans are horns or aggies which makes it a home game for them.  Same for Houston.

On top of that, enlarging Cardinal Stadium to 50K will cost mucho money, so you better have a Daddy Warbucks or two to cover the cost.

[/quote]

TCU is renovating their stadium and I believe max capacity is 35,000. Then what is UNT new stadium going to hold? About 30,000, right? Houston's stadium holds 32,000.

Lamar would do good to have a 30,000 stadium with several suites, rooms to showcase Lamar football and a multiple level press box that is user friendly to the press and SID's for Lamar and the visiting schools.

[quote name="bigred360" post="949714" timestamp="1295279010"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg949709#msg949709 date=1295278475]

[/quote]

TCU is renovating their stadium and I believe max capacity is 35,000. Then what is UNT new stadium going to hold? About 30,000, right? Houston's stadium holds 32,000.

Lamar would do good to have a 30,000 stadium with several suites, rooms to showcase Lamar football and a multiple level press box that is user friendly to the press and SID's for Lamar and the visiting schools.
[/quote]
TCU's Amon Carter holds a little over 40,000.  Not sure what the new capacity will be after the renovation.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="949709" timestamp="1295278475"]

[/quote]

use reason, you get called an idiot

[quote name="puddin tane" post="949810" timestamp="1295294136"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg949709#msg949709 date=1295278475]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Puddin, it wasn't me that called you a idiot. I'm sure your a fine person(you're a Cardinal fan, you can't be all bad :D). All I'm trying to say is, if we win, people will come to the games. I don't know how many people will come to the games, I don't have a crystal ball. I do know everyone loves a winner. If 15,000 people come or 50,000, I'll be one of them. I hope you will be one, too.

Go Big Red!

[quote name="bigred360" post="949669" timestamp="1295271604"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=78804.msg949593#msg949593 date=1295234552]
At UNLV we had each dorm organize trips to the game. We would march to the Thomas and Mack as a group.
We did the same thing for football. We'll we didn't march to Sam Boyd, those without cars took the city bus.
[/quote]

That is one downside to Lamar.. You don't get the right "college" feel because it is a commuter campus. If more people lived on campus, the school would make more money, more activities would take place, better crowds, etc...

I know some schools make freshman HAVE to live on campus their first year. Or you have to spend like 30 hours of your degree living on campus. If Lamar did that, a lot of things would change.
[/quote]

[b]More than 2,200 students live in campus residence halls, compared to 600 in 2000. The 500 additional beds in Phase 4 of Cardinal Village, completed this month, filled quickly. Private housing near campus brings the total to about 3,500.

This is from 2007-2008 academic year. So, with phase 5 there are over 4,000 students living on or near campus.

If someone wishes to find something more updated about on campus housing it would be appreciated.

[/quote]

So, 15,000 students give or take (correct me if I'm wrong) and only 4,000 on campus. LU wants to have more students at athletic events, they need to find a way to keep more people on campus. When students are on campus, if there's something fun going on on campus, they'll go to it. (Insert athletic event) Maybe on campus housing is too expensive. I don't know much about that.

[quote name="RS73" post="949970" timestamp="1295312693"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg949810#msg949810 date=1295294136]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Puddin, it wasn't me that called you a idiot. I'm sure your a fine person(you're a Cardinal fan, you can't be all bad :D). All I'm trying to say is, if we win, people will come to the games. I don't know how many people will come to the games, I don't have a crystal ball. I do know everyone loves a winner. If 15,000 people come or 50,000, I'll be one of them. I hope you will be one, too.

Go Big Red!
[/quote]

started going in the late 60's..havent missed many

[quote name="coachacola" post="949164" timestamp="1295151592"]
If Lamar stays FCS then they won't get many 3-star and above players unless they are transfers.  The only way they can start recruiting the better players is by joining the WAC.  The BCS teams will always get most of the 4 and 5 star players, but Lamar doesn't need those players to be successful in a non-BCS conference.

Staying FCS and recruiting mostly local players would solidify the image of Lamar as the "little local college of last resort."  I don't think that's a long term formula for success.  Dr. Simmons has been very successful in enhancing the academic standing of Lamar.  Now he needs to move Lamar to the WAC and enhance the athletic program as well.
[/quote]You're not going to find many 3+-star players on the roster of what's left of the WAC and if Lamar goes FBS, it'll be harder to get non-jc transfers because they'll have to sit out a year.

[quote name="bigred360" post="949262" timestamp="1295195168"]
I believe every game was sold out this year but admit I saw a lot of open areas at one of the games. Man, the majority of the 43 are from the Golden Triangle. You are right, there are a lot of season ticket holders from Mid-County. You mentioned what school your wife went to but didn't mentioned yours, just saying you like LSU. Are you just a T-shirt fan there? You wouldn't be a Lamar alum but rather so to Baton Rouge to see a game?

Then to compare a first year FCS program to those like A&M and LSU is ridiculous. What did you expect headed off to Provost Umphrey?

I've talked to the people at Lamar about attendance and what they want is more student attendance. Lamar has almost 15,000 students now and if just a 1/3 make the game that would be 5K.

Then we need more people from Beaumont. However, we are getting people from Orange, Lumberton, Silsbee and those areas.

Then there is the oldest reason in the book to come to Lamar football game and that is the team has to win. Period!
[/quote]
I graduated from LU, but was born in New Orleans and I like LSU. What's your point? I guess if I don't agree with you, you turn to bashing? What a guy ::)

[quote name="AJ25" post="950147" timestamp="1295318678"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78804.msg949669#msg949669 date=1295271604]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=78804.msg949593#msg949593 date=1295234552]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So, 15,000 students give or take (correct me if I'm wrong) and only 4,000 on campus. LU wants to have more students at athletic events, they need to find a way to keep more people on campus. When students are on campus, if there's something fun going on on campus, they'll go to it. (Insert athletic event) Maybe on campus housing is too expensive. I don't know much about that.
[/quote]
Not much to do around the campus area, so most of the kids go back to Houston, Dallas area on the weekends. LU doesn't have restraunts, bars, fun places close to campus. LU has came along way since I was there in the early 90's, but it still has a long way to go. It would be nice to have an investor bring in a string of businesses along Rolph Christopher betwwen LU and stadium area, then maybe the students would hang out at those places before going to the games. Just a thought.

[quote]Not much to do around the campus area, so most of the kids go back to Houston, Dallas area on the weekends. LU doesn't have restraunts, bars, fun places close to campus. LU has came along way since I was there in the early 90's, but it still has a long way to go. It would be nice to have an investor bring in a string of businesses along Rolph Christopher betwwen LU and stadium area, then maybe the students would hang out at those places before going to the games. Just a thought.[/quote]

A few months ago Dr. Simmons hinted that some private development may be taking place soon around Lamar.  Hopefully they'll add more restaurants and such around the campus.  With more students and football games there should be more demand for that.

[quote name="coachacola" post="951287" timestamp="1295472124"]
[quote]Not much to do around the campus area, so most of the kids go back to Houston, Dallas area on the weekends. LU doesn't have restraunts, bars, fun places close to campus. LU has came along way since I was there in the early 90's, but it still has a long way to go. It would be nice to have an investor bring in a string of businesses along Rolph Christopher betwwen LU and stadium area, then maybe the students would hang out at those places before going to the games. Just a thought.[/quote]

A few months ago Dr. Simmons hinted that some private development may be taking place soon around Lamar.  Hopefully they'll add more restaurants and such around the campus.  With more students and football games there should be more demand for that.
[/quote]

That needs to start happening in 2011.  It is one of those things that feeds on itself.  You have a good core of on campus students, but with some after hours entertainment venues that breeds more demand which also can add more venues.  You get 6-8k on campus students and you have the makings of something really nice going on in the south end of Beaumont.  The city needs to in on helping Lamar accomplish this because it benefits the city as well.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="951279" timestamp="1295471181"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78804.msg949262#msg949262 date=1295195168]
I believe every game was sold out this year but admit I saw a lot of open areas at one of the games. Man, the majority of the 43 are from the Golden Triangle. You are right, there are a lot of season ticket holders from Mid-County. You mentioned what school your wife went to but didn't mentioned yours, just saying you like LSU. Are you just a T-shirt fan there? You wouldn't be a Lamar alum but rather so to Baton Rouge to see a game?

Then to compare a first year FCS program to those like A&M and LSU is ridiculous. What did you expect headed off to Provost Umphrey?

I've talked to the people at Lamar about attendance and what they want is more student attendance. Lamar has almost 15,000 students now and if just a 1/3 make the game that would be 5K.

Then we need more people from Beaumont. However, we are getting people from Orange, Lumberton, Silsbee and those areas.

Then there is the oldest reason in the book to come to Lamar football game and that is the team has to win. Period!
[/quote]
I graduated from LU, but was born in New Orleans and I like LSU. What's your point? I guess if I don't agree with you, you turn to bashing? What a guy ::)
[/quote]

No bashing, as you were the LU alumnus who stated we weren't any good. It was our first year and we had depth problems as well as issues with the O and D line and finally with the QB.  ::)

You didn't even care enough to look and see how many players are from the Golden Triangle on the team. If not, you would have never stated we need to recruit locally in the future. Duh, we already have been. You can view the roster at www.lamarcardinals.com.

I bet you can tell me how many verbal commitments the LSU Tigers have!  ::)

As a child, I lived in Pennsylvania. Guess I should cheer for the Steelers, Eagles, and the University of Pittsburgh?  

If you want to go see LSU that is cool you don't have to make any excuses for me. Just don't compare a first year football program and the game day experience at the FCS level in the SLC to the game day experience and football team at LSU in the SEC or Texas A&M of the Big XII. It will never compare I don't care how much Dr Simmons does for the university and if he can get some private development around the Lamar campus. They can have 8k students living on campus and we move to the WAC. Lamar will never be a Top 25 team at the FBS level. It doesn't have to be for me to be proud of Lamar. My degree and all my family who are Lamar alumni or relatives currently attending Lamar as well as my step father retiring from Lamar and the fact my father worked at Lamar is reasons enough for me to be proud of Lamar University. So, I'm fine with where Lamar is and where it is going.  

I believe AAW, loves the Aggies and you don't see me saying anything to him. Nor do I say anything to Kuckdad who is a Lamar alumnus but also graduated from Texas Tech and talks about them. Hoop_Insider is a UH alumnus and I don't have problems with him. UNLV, talks about what Lamar should do and talks about what they did at UNLV and I don't have problems with him.

A guy that bashes a first year FCS football program; which he is an alumnus of I take note. Here is your quote.[b] Sorry for bashing the team, but it wasn't like watching college football[/b]. What a guy!  ::)

BigRed360, I said for people to continue to go to games they will have to continue recruiting from this area or recruit five star players. Everybody wants them going to the WAC and other mid major conferences, so LU will have to recruit better. Thats just my opinion and it's way different then yours. Figured you to be a yankee by your mouth. Sorry you get your feelings hurt when someone says thier opinion, but if if your going to sit thier and say that watching Lamar football this year was like watching college football your kidding yourself. I don't care how [roud you are of LU and your family track record. I just want to see LU drastically improve the football program to compete year in year out. I didn't expect them to be a top notch team the first year, but I was surprised at the lack of fundementals that I observed.

You did graduate, right? I stated I lived in Pennsylvania as a child. I didn't say how many years. It was just a couple and the majority of my life as been in Texas. I'm no more a yankee than you are.

Recruit better? We have Jeremy Johnson who was a Top 10 dual threat QB in the nation his senior year transfer from WVU. If you read another thread about recruiting you would know there is reports the RB from Kirbyville is going to sign with Lamar. He owns the school rushing record. If you read the thread on the High School forum he is a finalist for the Willie Ray Smith Award. He was All-State 1st team.

http://wn.com/RB_LeFrederick_Ford_

Quote from AggiesAreWe. If Ford were to sign with Lamar, that would have the Cards getting the top two players (accolade wise) from this area the last two years. Johnson was a Willie Ray Smith winner along with being the SETXsports.com MVP and Super team MVP. Ford is this year's Super Team and SETXsports.com MVP and should win the Willie Ray Smith award.

That's getting the best of the area.

You don't know my opinion about recruiting but I'll tell you. First we have to hit the Golden Triangle and SE Texas hard. Then look at the Greater Houston area because there are so many players that some good players are left for schools like Lamar. After hitting the high school ranks hard I would be very selective in the junior college ranks to fill in holes left after signing high school kids.

Lamar isn't going to beat LSU, Texas, A&M and those schools for talent and if you believe they can you are fooling yourself.

You do know the difference in major college and small college football, right? Watching Lamar this year was like watching small college football. We are very talented at the WR position and they make some catches that were ESPN worthy. Maybe you can take time and watch the highlights of last season on the Lamar website and you can see for yourself.

I don't get my feelings hurt by your opinion. I find it funny you support LSU more than you do Lamar from which you earned a degree. By the way, I'm not the only one who thinks it as I'll post someone else who has a similar opinion about this but will not use their name.

bigred360 wrote:
[b]Man, don't call anyone a T-shirt fan as a poster on the other Lamar board said I was bashing him. Poor guy, can't support the university he got his degree from. He'd rather go see LSU because he was born in New Orleans.
[/b]
I saw that post. LU's game day experience is great, he needs to give it a shot. It's not like LSU basketball is significantly better than LU's either. I bet on a good day LU could beat LSU in basketball.

It's fine if you casually follow another sports program. But what I hate is when I see kids going to LU with UT or A&M gear on. It just bothers me and it always will.

I should point out however that LU has seen a very significant increase in the number of students with LU merchandise on themselves or on their vehicles. I believe alot of students received LU merchandise for Christmas because it has really picked up this semester.

I myself own about 10 LU shirts. 1 hoodie, 1 wind breaker and 1 hat.

The rest of your post doesn't cause me to want to respond.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="951460" timestamp="1295490389"]
BigRed360, I said for people to continue to go to games they will have to continue recruiting from this area or recruit five star players. Everybody wants them going to the WAC and other mid major conferences, so LU will have to recruit better. Thats just my opinion and it's way different then yours. Figured you to be a yankee by your mouth. Sorry you get your feelings hurt when someone says thier opinion, but if if your going to sit thier and say that watching Lamar football this year was like watching college football your kidding yourself. I don't care how [roud you are of LU and your family track record. I just want to see LU drastically improve the football program to compete year in year out. I didn't expect them to be a top notch team the first year, but I was surprised at the lack of fundementals that I observed.
[/quote]

well big...i wiped out my computer trying to "over-smite" him..

"recruit from "this area"..that means mid-county..which we have a couple on roster and a recruit..more stuff he probably doesnt care to know..looked like college football to me..not the best in the world..but it was  college football..in beaumont..gotta love it

Great response BigRed360. LU is moving in the right direction whether some like it or not. I'm not saying there is not going to be pitfalls but they have made a giant leap since I left campus in 1991. I was there when the board let us down and terminated the football program. The local talent staying at Lamar will keep the fans in the seats.

Another article talking about the WAC.

[quote]Benson said any other FCS schools that are invited before the summer would work on the same clock as Texas State, ultimately bringing the conference up to the required number of football-playing schools by the end of the grace period.
None of these changes will affect the WAC's standing with the BCS, which is separate from the NCAA's rules.

"We expect that beginning in 2012, we will have more than seven football-playing schools," Benson said of members such as Texas State, which will be FBS provisional in 2012. "Whether it's eight or nine, we expect at least a minimum of eight beginning in 2012 and it appears to be reasonable that we would have as many as nine football-playing schools in 2012."[/quote]

The article says the WAC hopes to extend invitation before April 1st.  We should know soon if Lamar is staying or going.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/01/20/wac-readies-to-build-on-new-foundation/

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder