Commissioner says WAC has new members lined up

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for moving to a better conference, but if WAC is going to stay a FBS conference they should not invite non-football playing schools.  One of the reasons the Big Ten and Pac 10 are expanding is so that they can have a conference championship game.  Big 12 will not have the Conference Championship game in 2011 due to loosing Nebraska and Colorado.  Lost TV revenue and exposure.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="948614" timestamp="1295067118"]

[i]While declining to name any football schools, Benson did say Seattle University, California State-Bakersfield and Utah Valley will be assessed as non-football members.[/i]

big whoop...theres some rivalries...not

[/quote]

What conference do you think Lamar should hold out for then Puddin?

I think the WAC will probably go with 10 football schools and 2 basketball schools now that Denver will be part of the WAC.  I don't think a championship game makes sense for a conference like the WAC, I doubt it would draw that well.  Even though the WAC may not be the ideal FBS conference for Lamar, you have to first get your feet in the door.

[quote name="Javelina" post="948806" timestamp="1295109574"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg948614#msg948614 date=1295067118]

[i]While declining to name any football schools, Benson did say Seattle University, California State-Bakersfield and Utah Valley will be assessed as non-football members.[/i]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think we are fine where we are..unlike alot of folks, i dont have a crystal ball, so i dont know if the louisianna skools are gonna be dropping football, dont know which teams are gonna leave which conference..

I dont think jumping onto a sinking ship just cuz its available it that smart of a move.  hell, all this talk of renovating, adding to the budget, enlarging the stadium?..i was at all the games and the last 2 were poorly attended...cuz it got a little cold....

if we go anywhere it should be in the south...sunbelt isnt that great, but  more interesting,as of now, than the whack... with teams that are rumored to want out..a spot will open up there

Good conferences are made up of good rivalries...I dont see that with the wac...shoot me

nor do i see stability...la tech will be next to jump ship

The South Dakota game had bad attendance because of a few different factors.  
1) it was cold and rained most of the day
2) they had the game on TV
3) [b]High School Football Playoffs started that weekend[/b]

I am not sure about the last game because I did not make it into the stadium from the parking lot.
I would assume that because PNG was playing about 10 miles away at the same time for both games that had alot to do with the attendance of the last 2 games.

If I was lamar I would think about scheduling all your home games before HS playoffs start and play last 2 games on the road but that is just me.

[quote name="Javelina" post="948856" timestamp="1295120117"]

I am not sure about the last game because I did not make it into the stadium from the parking lot.
I would assume that because PNG was playing about 10 miles away at the same time for both games that had alot to do with the attendance of the last 2 games.

If I was lamar I would think about scheduling all your home games before HS playoffs start and play last 2 games on the road but that is just me.
[/quote]

didnt rain a drop at the game..dont hear Aggies, gators, wolverines complaining about the weather

you cant outdraw westbrook and central , you aint ready for FBS

That won't happen this upcoming season as McNeese State is our final game of the regular season at home. McNeese travels well and I'm sure it will be a sell out as the Cowboys will probably he in the running for the SLC championship will be addition of Riley Dodge at QB.

I'm hopeful Lamar is very competitive in conference. If they are winning the fan's will come.

[quote name="Javelina" post="948806" timestamp="1295109574"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg948614#msg948614 date=1295067118]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Puddin Conference

LU
Ul-La
McNeese
Troy
So Bammy
La Tech
Appy St.
Ga.Southern
Sam,or texas st jr college
that there is a good,southern fried  conference
oh,and
Smu so we have some graduates

[quote name="puddin tane" post="948858" timestamp="1295120641"]
[quote author=Javelina link=topic=78804.msg948856#msg948856 date=1295120117]

[/quote]

didnt rain a drop at the game..dont hear Aggies, gators, wolverines complaining about the weather

[/quote]

Just to clarify, Westbrook and Central weren't in the same ballpark in attendance as the Lamar Cardinals. I believe Javelina mentioned a PNG playoff game at the same time at the new football complex in Beaumont. Lamar has a lot of alumni from PNG and I'm sure it did effect attendance some.

What the guys in the athletic development office want is more Lamar students at the games.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="948858" timestamp="1295120641"]
1) it was cold and rained [b]most[/b] of the day

[/quote]

[/quote] 

I know it did not rain at the South Dakota game because I was there freezing with the other fans that did show up.  It had rained earlier in the day that is why I said it rained most of the day not during the game!!!!!!

The Puddin Conference

LU - Southland
Ul-La - Sun Belt
McNeese - Southland
Troy - Sun Belt
So Bammy - Sun Belt
La Tech - WAC
Appy St. - Southern Conference
Ga.Southern - Southern Conference
Sam,or texas st jr college - Southland/WAC
oh,and
Smu so we have some graduates - C-USA

These teams will never be is the same conference and McNeese has no aspiration of going FBS in football. If La Tech leaves the WAC it will be for C-USA. Then the two schools in the Southern Conference have won multiple FCS championships and I have yet to hear of them being mentioned going FBS. SHSU is very tentative about going FBS and leaving the SLC.

So for Lamar it is the WAC or Sun Belt if a team or two leaves. Otherwise, we'll be in the SLC.

[quote name="bigred360" post="948868" timestamp="1295121969"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg948858#msg948858 date=1295120641]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just to clarify, Westbrook and Central weren't in the same ballpark in attendance as the Lamar Cardinals. I believe Javelina mentioned a PNG playoff game at the same time at the new football complex in Beaumont. Lamar has a lot of alumni from PNG and I'm sure it did effect attendance some.

What the guys in the athletic development office want is more Lamar students at the games.
[/quote]

when people choose high school over college, maybe you oughta stay FCS.

[quote name="bigred360" post="948891" timestamp="1295125189"]
The Puddin Conference

LU - Southland
Ul-La - Sun Belt
McNeese - Southland
Troy - Sun Belt
So Bammy - Sun Belt
La Tech - WAC
Appy St. - Southern Conference
Ga.Southern - Southern Conference
Sam,or texas st jr college - Southland/WAC
oh,and
Smu so we have some graduates - C-USA

These teams will never be is the same conference and McNeese has no aspiration of going FBS in football. If La Tech leaves the WAC it will be for C-USA. Then the two schools in the Southern Conference have won multiple FCS championships and I have yet to hear of them being mentioned going FBS. SHSU is very tentative about going FBS and leaving the SLC.

So for Lamar it is the WAC or Sun Belt if a team or two leaves. Otherwise, we'll be in the SLC.
[/quote]

Why not?  automatic bid to the puddin bowl?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="948952" timestamp="1295131200"]
[/quote]
You must not be from around here.  ;D

PNG folks are going to PNG playoff games, it don't matter who else is playing at that time. Lamar will allways have trouble drawing for a game late in the season when multiple area HS teams are playing. SETX loves it's HS football. Allwys has and allways will.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="948952" timestamp="1295131200"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78804.msg948868#msg948868 date=1295121969]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg948858#msg948858 date=1295120641]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Some people may choose high school over college (Lamar) for several reasons. 1 They didn't attend Lamar 2. They aren't fan's of FCS college football. 3. There are other outdoor activities for SE Texas. 4. They may have kids or relatives who play high school football.

So brother you are preaching to the choir here. I heard from an individual who recently made a donation to the baseball program that he heard Dr Simmons talking about the WAC.

We are to play our first season of football in the SLC so the higher ups aren't going to say anything publicly to upset the administration of the SLC until there is something definite regarding the WAC and Lamar University.  

[quote]when people choose high school over college, maybe you oughta stay FCS.[/quote]

Maybe being FCS is why people choose high school football over college football.  Fans just want their team to be relevant, so of course the local fans will choose a HS playoff game over a Lamar game against a no-name opponent.

La Tech has both Houston and BYU scheduled next year as home games, Lamar could do the same once they join the WAC.  Arkansas State just made a deal with Oregon where they play at Orgeon in 2012 for $900K in exchange for a home game on ESPN or ESPN2 next year.

Being in the WAC opens up many opportunities that the SLC cannot offer.  Of course it's going to cost money and there's a lot of risk involved, but I believe Lamar has to take that chance or the local fans will not see them as being that relevant in college football.

I think the WAC is waiting to see if the MWC takes Utah State.  I think there's also a small chance that CUSA could lose some members and invite La Tech, but I doubt that happens.  Lazeek seems emphatic that Lamar will be in the WAC in 2012, and Dr. Simmons has all but said they Lamar is just waiting on an invite, so I feel confident that this will happen.  I hope I'm not disappointed.

As far as getting some good FBS teams to Beaumont, couldn't Lamar add some temporary bleachers in the south end zone fairly cheaply.  UH and other schools have done that in the past.  If they add 4K of temporary bleachers plus sell some SRO tickets, they could get 20K+ fans in the stadium.  They should put some in next year for the SFA and McNeese games!

That is exactly Benson problem, the wait and see guy. He needs to take charge.
First, if MWC takes Utah st, no effect on Lamar going WAC next week. I would ask the MWC
to take SJST and Idaho too.

PS. CUSA is not inviting La Tech. Small school and no market. Any CUSA school would be nutts to
go MWC. Maybe a CUSA team or 2 might go Big East, not MWC.

Lamar suppose to be a top engineering school, well engineer an expanded stadium.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder