Nederland vs. Crosby Game Thread/CROSBY WINS 25-19!

WOSgrad

Didn't mean to take any credit away from Coach Flanigan, because the Coogs did what they needed to do.  Good luck to Dominic and we wish him well at TCU.  It's kind of cool that Trev and Dom will be attending the same school next year.  It seemed like there were so many missed opportunities for the dawgs.  Every play called on offense was so predictable.  You would think there would be a better game plan.  Yet the coogs kept the dawgs off balance the whole night and were fortunate they didn't turn the ball over more.  Maybe next year there won't be so many distractions for the dawgs.  The coach probably needs a course in diversity and building cohesion instead of being so divisive.  That probably hurt the team more in the end than his coaching.  Good luck next year.  :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

without a threat at the qb position you become very predictable at nederland this year.wild dog will only get you so far.but thats been on and off for a couple of years now. those that doubt dionte at qb lets hear from you now.without him we dont make the playoffs for last 2 years .hated that they left him in long enough to get hurt after dominating last weeks game.good luck to all the seniors and maybe next year will be better .i look to dump the spread next year for sure .

[quote name="silly365" post="906986" timestamp="1289670656"]
without a threat at the qb position you become very predictable at nederland this year.wild dog will only get you so far.but thats been on and off for a couple of years now. those that doubt dionte at qb lets hear from you now.without him we dont make the playoffs for last 2 years .hated that they left him in long enough to get hurt after dominating last weeks game.good luck to all the seniors and maybe next year will be better .i look to dump the spread next year for sure .
[/quote]

I agree

[quote name="Versey Ledbetter" post="906904" timestamp="1289667019"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=75975.msg906884#msg906884 date=1289666447]
[quote author=Versey Ledbetter link=topic=75975.msg906882#msg906882 date=1289666250]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=75975.msg906739#msg906739 date=1289659847]
Congrads on a successful season, Bulldogs...
[/quote]

So this is what it's come to in Nederland.  A losing season is considered successful.
[/quote]Grabing a playoff spot and hung tough in the game...  To me, making the playoffss is an accomplishment...
[/quote]

If Central had gone 5-6 this season and lost in the first round of the playoffs to a team with a losing record, would you say Central had a successful season?  I didn't think so.  My point is that 5-6 IS considered successful for Nederland now.
[/quote]Probably would have been.  Central have spoiled us fans by going deep in the playoffs for the last few years.  So yes, it may be a dissapointment as far as if you are talking about Central... But Nederland, through all the injuries and other things that they have had to deal with this year, making the playoffs was an accomplishment...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="907016" timestamp="1289672214"]
[quote author=Versey Ledbetter link=topic=75975.msg906904#msg906904 date=1289667019]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=75975.msg906884#msg906884 date=1289666447]
[quote author=Versey Ledbetter link=topic=75975.msg906882#msg906882 date=1289666250]
[/quote]

So this is what it's come to in Nederland.  A losing season is considered successful.
[/quote]Grabing a playoff spot and hung tough in the game...  To me, making the playoffss is an accomplishment...
[/quote]

If Central had gone 5-6 this season and lost in the first round of the playoffs to a team with a losing record, would you say Central had a successful season?  I didn't think so.  My point is that 5-6 IS considered successful for Nederland now.
[/quote]Probably would have been.  Central have spoiled us fans by going deep in the playoffs for the last few years.  So yes, it may be a dissapointment as far as if you are talking about Central... But Nederland, through all the injuries and other things that they have had to deal with this year, making the playoffs was an accomplishment...
[/quote]
Right and anything can happen once you make the playoffs.  I just hated to see Nederland blow it like they did.

[quote name="Domination Station" post="906967" timestamp="1289669862"]
Didn't mean to take any credit away from Coach Flanigan, because the Coogs did what they needed to do.  Good luck to Dominic and we wish him well at TCU.  It's kind of cool that Trev and Dom will be attending the same school next year.  It seemed like there were so many missed opportunities for the dawgs.  Every play called on offense was so predictable.  You would think there would be a better game plan.  Yet the coogs kept the dawgs off balance the whole night and were fortunate they didn't turn the ball over more.  Maybe next year there won't be so many distractions for the dawgs.  The coach probably needs a course in diversity and building cohesion instead of being so divisive.  That probably hurt the team more in the end than his coaching.  Good luck next year.  :)
[/quote]

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to Nederland football.

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="907083" timestamp="1289675080"]
[quote author=Domination Station link=topic=75975.msg906967#msg906967 date=1289669862]
[/quote]

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to Nederland football.
[/quote]
I agree 8

I'm saying Crosby had 5 fumbles and Ned only recovered 1.  Crosby dominated on the ground and always seemed to catch Ned off guard with the pass, especially on the long TD.  Ned couldn't pass and everyone knew that going into the game.  I'm not a big fan of the wild dawg, but it was a better option than letting an inexperienced QB pass.  Ned had over 5 yards per carry, they should have taken that all night.  Trev also passed pretty good.  Carson's last 4 or 5 passes were incomplete.  If Ned did a better job controlling the ball in the 4th qtr, they would have kept Crosby out the endzone.  They would have done that if Neuman stuck with the run.  This is a game Ned could have definitely won.  Crosby did what they had to do in keeping Ned off balance and keeping the turnovers down.  Crosby also had more penalties.  Too bad Dionte couldn't go at QB, the outcome would have been different.  But for what they had, they were still definitely outcoached.  I don't care what you say and I guess it doesn't matter now. 

I don't dislike the wilddog.  If you have a healthy QB, I like the wilddog when it's used sparingly.  That's what makes it so effective.  But with your starting QB hurt, I thought Ned should have stayed with it all night and let Trev pass more out of that formation.  He did an awesome job running all night and I think he should have passed more when they bunched up on the line.  Running the dog could have controlled the clock a lot better and made the difference.  I was surprised they didn't get Salenga more involved.  Carson got some good experience and he'll be ready next year. I think Neuman had a better option last night with the wilddog.

Second part of your statement is debatable.  First two playoff spots, yes. Third, maybe.  Fourth, no.  When 2-8 teams makes the playoffs, it ceases to be an accomplishment.  The UIL could easily say "let all teams go to the playoffs."  0-10 team in the playoffs?  Think about it.  

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="906884" timestamp="1289666447"]
[/quote]

So this is what it's come to in Nederland.  A losing season is considered successful.
[/quote]Grabing a playoff spot and hung tough in the game...  To me, making the playoffss is an accomplishment...
[/quote]

Hay i don't want to get in on Politics of Nederland but i will say this. Crosby didn't turn Merka loose because of how yall played us.

If your going to question play calling i'd question your coaches defensive strategy against the cougars, and the lack of major talent at the DE position. Consistently the cougars sealed the edge and could hold 7-8 blocks with 6 people, that gave jackacy a major advantage with one on one situations with cornerbacks and safeties and he made the dogs pay.

2 things, they stopped using the wilddog with 3 minutes in the second.then again after the 2nd drive (failed drive) in the 3rd quarter. the coaching staff recognized they needed way more help, and to be fair this score indicated a much closer game than this one PHYSICALLY was. You look at how many times crosby blocking made a bad snap into a 3-7 yard gain and you can easily see that.

My prognosis is the Dogs focused way too much on Merka and didn't trust their defense to stop the cougs which led to the dropping of the wildog to be fair look back at this game yall did throw SOME out of the wildog and they were almost all incomplete/tipped at line or a negative play. 

Dunno i've seen one game,  but speed kills and crosby had a lot more tonight.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="907427" timestamp="1289685961"]
Hay i don't want to get in on Politics of Nederland but i will say this. Crosby didn't turn Merka loose because of how yall played us.

If your going to question play calling i'd question your coaches defensive strategy against the cougars, and the lack of major talent at the DE position. Consistently the cougars sealed the edge and could hold 7-8 blocks with 6 people, that gave jackacy a major advantage with one on one situations with cornerbacks and safeties and he made the dogs pay.

2 things, they stopped using the wilddog with 3 minutes in the second.then again after the 2nd drive (failed drive) in the 3rd quarter. the coaching staff recognized they needed way more help, and to be fair this score indicated a much closer game than this one PHYSICALLY was. You look at how many times crosby blocking made a bad snap into a 3-7 yard gain and you can easily see that.

My prognosis is the Dogs focused way too much on Merka and didn't trust their defense to stop the cougs which led to the dropping of the wildog to be fair look back at this game yall did throw SOME out of the wildog and they were almost all incomplete/tipped at line or a negative play. 

Dunno i've seen one game,  but speed kills and crosby had a lot more tonight.
[/quote]

So are you saying Nederland over coached rather than got out coached?  Going back to vigil's comments (I agree) you had a 4-6 team beating a 5-5 team.  Playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs!

[quote name="Domination Station" post="907216" timestamp="1289680034"]
I don't dislike the wilddog.  If you have a healthy QB, I like the wilddog when it's used sparingly.  That's what makes it so effective.  But with your starting QB hurt, I thought Ned should have stayed with it all night and let Trev pass more out of that formation.  He did an awesome job running all night and I think he should have passed more when they bunched up on the line.  Running the dog could have controlled the clock a lot better and made the difference.  I was surprised they didn't get Salenga more involved.  Carson got some good experience and he'll be ready next year. I think Neuman had a better option last night with the wilddog.
[/quote]  yea, i wondered that about Salenga too

The blame for me lies on coach barrow.. For years now, when something is working, he goes away from it and does something else. Can't blame carson, he wasn't ready for that pressure.. Barrow shouldve left sonnier at qb whether it was the wilddog offense or regular spread offense.. I wish anyone could explain to me why barrow left raines in there on the last two drives when he couldn't complete anything all night... If someone can give me a logical reasoning behind it, then I will admit I'm wrong.. And I also can't believe neumann didn't step in and tell monte to pull carson.. But barrow has a history of choking in the playoffs.. If you've followed nederland closely, then you know what I mean.. This was like vintage smithson valley or bay city playoff games.. Just can't understand why you don't put the ball in the hands of your senior leader.. Instead you rely on a sophomore qb who is scared to death out there, and understandably so..

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="907753" timestamp="1289694400"]
The blame for me lies on coach barrow.. For years now, when something is working, he goes away from it and does something else. Can't blame carson, he wasn't ready for that pressure.. Barrow shouldve left sonnier at qb whether it was the wilddog offense or regular spread offense.. I wish anyone could explain to me why barrow left raines in there on the last two drives when he couldn't complete anything all night... If someone can give me a logical reasoning behind it, then I will admit I'm wrong.. And I also can't believe neumann didn't step in and tell monte to pull carson.. But barrow has a history of choking in the playoffs.. If you've followed nederland closely, then you know what I mean.. This was like vintage smithson valley or bay city playoff games.. Just can't understand why you don't put the ball in the hands of your senior leader.. Instead you rely on a sophomore qb who is scared to death out there, and understandably so..
[/quote]

Good post.

Who??  ???

[quote name="Roughrider" post="907032" timestamp="1289673032"]
[quote author=vigil link=topic=75975.msg906844#msg906844 date=1289663943]
Very interesting!  Very interesting indeed!     ::)    ;)
[/quote]

Hey Smitty, glad you made it back.
[/quote]

[/quote]

2 logical reasons i can give you.

1) You run the wilddog and the cougs get to blitz. Do you want to play the cougars front 7 or the cougs db's? 
2) the cougs play a zone coverage defense which means your QB should be able to throw into holes quite easily, he just missed his spots.

What i think might have gone through the o coordinators mind is.
1) I think we can beat the cougs on a seam route. if you did you might honestly our have won the game. Honestly our defense was stopping the big run decently, so its big run vs big pass need. it was what 4mins left in game.

But barrow has a history of choking in the playoffs.. If you've followed nederland closely, then you know what I mean.. This was like vintage smithson valley or bay city playoff games.. Just can't understand why you don't put the ball in the hands of your senior leader.. Instead you rely on a sophomore qb who is scared to death out there, and understandably so..
[/quote]
I've followed Nederland football, and I have no idea what you mean.  History of choking in the play-offs?  Are you kidding me?  Maybe it's because Nederland has had so many opportunities to "choke" over the past decade+, but you do realize that Monte helped GET THEM TO THAT POINT right?  Look around the area and ask how many high schools would love to have a choker like Monte as a head friggin coach - if not their OC.  Get a clue.
You can call it a "choke," but to lose to an [b]eventual state champion[/b] is not what I would consider a "choke" either.
I don't know what you do for a living, but I would love to come judge you against the best 5 to 10 people in the ENTIRE STATE that do what you do and then call you a stinking choker if you don't match up.
Please elaborate on how what Monte did is "vintage smithson valley or bay city".