Breaking News: WO-S Quarterback Reggie Garrett Dies During Football Game

KFDM COOP

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sucks. I hate this for his family, friends, the community of Orange and SETX. I was actually coming down to see this kid play along with Roberts and Ford from Kville when they play. I know alot of folks thinking right now why did this happen and questioning it. I take it as if the young man did 200% of what God wanted him to do here and it was time to go home. It's a sad time and its gonna hurt for a long time. This is right up there when the famous rapper from my hometown Chad Butler passed so i know how it feels. Took me a little while to get passed it. SETX lost a great kid tonight but i never question what the man up above has in-store. I know this is a cliche` but he is in a better place and will never be hurt. Like i said before its gonna suck for a long while but with the strength of the community everyone will get through it.

God bless the Garrett family, WO-S community and the city of Orange and everyone affected in SETX.

I heard of this news at 10:05pm tonight as my son was on the football field in Hamshire.  Shocked and in disbelief.  Prayers go out to the family, friends and those who witnessed such a terrible tragedy.  One of your greatest fears especially as a mom.  I know that the HF football team dedicated some time in the locker room to pray for Reggie Garrett after their game which was very impressive.  It's not easy but we all know he passed away doing what he loved.

RIP QB.    

I am posting this as many places as I can and I pray the family sees it:

True story-

Seven years ago my oldest son had a birthday/slumber party with several of his buddies from school. I have to admit that the thought of 10, 10 year old boys the night before my youngest sons first baseball game (a team that I was coaching) was not my idea of a stellar night. The boys came over and, as expected, were a typical wild group of 10 yr olds. However, thru talking with the kids I found myself talking to a kindred spirit. A 10 year old that had the same passion for football that I did. We sat and talked football while all the other boys ran around like their hair was on fire. I finally got all of the boys to settle down and as they all went to sleep and finally shut up, that one kid and I started talking football again in the pitch dark amongst all of the snoring. We talked a bunch about it that night, but in those final hours in the dark he said what has stuck with me for years since. The following is what he told me, "Sometimes I feel like I was put on this earth to play football. When I have a football in my hands, it just feels right. When I am on the field, I feel like it's where I belong". The next year my son moved with his mother to Houston and he and that kid lost touch so I haven't had much contact with him since. But, I never forgot our conversation and how amazed I was at how a 10 year old knew so well what he loved and wanted to do. It was not until tonight that our Lord revealed to me the purpose of that conversation and why it has stuck with me for so long.

That boy's name was Reggie Garrett. Great student, great kid, friend, role model and athlete. I cannot understand why the things that happened tonight happened and my heart is broken into a million pieces for his family, friends and this community. I know God has a plan and as hard as it is right now I will keep my faith in that. I also thank God for that night and the pleasure it was to talk with that young man the way we did. He was special and even though our Lord saw fit to call him home early, I have no doubt that he took him doing what he loved most in this world.

I write this with a heavy heart and I cannot stop the tears. But, I feel like God is telling me to let the family know of his words and how he felt about what he was doing when he was called home. I know there is nothing that can ease the pain right now, but in time I pray that the words he told me so many years ago will bring some comfort to his mother and father.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="850091" timestamp="1284788395"]
I am posting this as many places as I can and I pray the family sees it:

True story-

Seven years ago my oldest son had a birthday/slumber party with several of his buddies from school. I have to admit that the thought of 10, 10 year old boys the night before my youngest sons first baseball game (a team that I was coaching) was not my idea of a stellar night. The boys came over and, as expected, were a typical wild group of 10 yr olds. However, thru talking with the kids I found myself talking to a kindred spirit. A 10 year old that had the same passion for football that I did. We sat and talked football while all the other boys ran around like their hair was on fire. I finally got all of the boys to settle down and as they all went to sleep and finally shut up, that one kid and I started talking football again in the pitch dark amongst all of the snoring. We talked a bunch about it that night, but in those final hours in the dark he said what has stuck with me for years since. The following is what he told me, "Sometimes I feel like I was put on this earth to play football. When I have a football in my hands, it just feels right. When I am on the field, I feel like it's where I belong".

That boy's name was Reggie Garrett. Great student, great kid, friend, role model and athlete. I cannot understand why the things that happened tonight happened and my heart is broken into a million pieces for his family, friends and this community. I know God has a plan and as hard as it is right now I will keep my faith in that. I also thank God for that night and the pleasure it was to talk with that young man the way we did. He was special and even though our Lord saw fit to call him home early, I have no doubt that he took him doing what he loved most in this world.

I write this with a heavy heart and I cannot stop the tears. But, I feel like God is telling me to let the family know of his words and how he felt about what he was doing when he was called home. I know there is nothing that can ease the pain right now, but in time I pray that the words he told me so many years ago will bring some comfort to his mother and father.
[/quote]

Great story...I heard about this towards the end of our game with Newton.  I can't even hardly remember much that happened the last several minutes of the game.  I was in shock.  I had tears swell up in my eyes and your story just released them.  This is a sad day for all of our area.  I didn't know Reggie of course,  but from what I have seen on here,  he must have been a great kid.  I can't begin to imagine what his family and the WOS football community are feeling.  I don't even want to have the thought of it happening to anyone I know personally.  My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.  Fridays have been about football since the season started.  Now that is meaningless.  Instead of worrying about he outcome of a particular we should be more focused on enjoying the efforts of these kids.  May the rest of the season be safe for all of our young athletes.

Fox Sports High School Scoreboard Live just closed their show by dedicating it to Reggie Garrett and showed a picture of him in a moment of silence to end the show.  So I am sure not only the prayers of our community are there for the Garrett family, but those of the state as well.  The replay of the show comes on at 9:00 AM tomorrow on Fox Sports Southwest if anyone cares to see the ending.  Not sure that anything makes it better right now, but they did a good job in dedicating the show as did our local sportscasters with a tough, tough subject.   

I don't know what to say.....I was right there when it happened, on the sideline. I can't get a certain picture out of my mind. I won't say what that picture was, but i knew immediately that something was terribly wrong. I suffer from  seizures, and what I saw with my own eyes didn't seem like a seizure I have ever seen or been through. Brent, thank-you for sharing that story. It made me hurt more, but also made me feel better. I know it doesn't make sense, but it does for me. I volunteer coach because I love the kids and want to help them succeed in life. It's going to take me a long time to get this out of my head, but its not about me. It's about Reggie and his family, teammates and friends. I'm so sorry that this happened. I pray that the Mustangs can come together and finish this season for him. And to the kids, I know what it feels like to lose a best friend. Now is the time to step up and be the best you can be, ...for him. We lost a great player, but more , a great kid with a tremendous future. RIP Reggie. You are with Jesus now, and  that is the only place to be. Throw some balls to the angels buddy.....  

Guest tappedout
This has to be the saddest moment that I have ever experienced excluding a family member. May God be with the family members and keep them strong. I am so sad for the WOS community! May God be with you all!!

I never know what to say in a time like this. What can one say that can comfort the situation. It is such a tragic to loose a son, team mate, friend, at such an early age. God has his reasons but we cannot understand them. We just trust in God and believe that our loved one is now with him. I pray for Reggie, his family, and team mates that they can somehow accept this and know that God always has a plan. May God have mercey on his sole, may God bless his sole, and may his sole rest in peace.

I hope there is counceling at the school on Monday and that the kids can cope with this situation and that the team can again come together. Keep up the good faith guys. 

I have attended many games in this stadium since the early 70's. I have been a devoted WOS fan for many, many years. I have experienced some disappointing losses during district rivalries and playoff games, but those were just games and we could always say "wait till next year". Tonight we experienced a loss that was almost unbelievable. We lost a comrade, a soldier and a competitor who loved the game. As I was leaving the stadium I felt as if I had just lost a good friend. I didn't even know Reggie Garrett personnaly, I only knew him by how he performed on the field. I would have to say he had heart, passion, ability and character. He was a leader and he will be missed. I would like to offer my sympathy and condolences to the Reggie Garrett family, relatives and friends. To Mr Reggie Garrett I would like to say you made your mark and you will be remembered. Thanks for the memories and may God Bless You.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder