Breaking News: WO-S Quarterback Reggie Garrett Dies During Football Game

KFDM COOP

[quote name="Gasilla" post="850091" timestamp="1284788395"]
I am posting this as many places as I can and I pray the family sees it:

True story-

Seven years ago my oldest son had a birthday/slumber party with several of his buddies from school. I have to admit that the thought of 10, 10 year old boys the night before my youngest sons first baseball game (a team that I was coaching) was not my idea of a stellar night. The boys came over and, as expected, were a typical wild group of 10 yr olds. However, thru talking with the kids I found myself talking to a kindred spirit. A 10 year old that had the same passion for football that I did. We sat and talked football while all the other boys ran around like their hair was on fire. I finally got all of the boys to settle down and as they all went to sleep and finally shut up, that one kid and I started talking football again in the pitch dark amongst all of the snoring. We talked a bunch about it that night, but in those final hours in the dark he said what has stuck with me for years since. The following is what he told me, "Sometimes I feel like I was put on this earth to play football. When I have a football in my hands, it just feels right. When I am on the field, I feel like it's where I belong". The next year my son moved with his mother to Houston and he and that kid lost touch so I haven't had much contact with him since. But, I never forgot our conversation and how amazed I was at how a 10 year old knew so well what he loved and wanted to do. It was not until tonight that our Lord revealed to me the purpose of that conversation and why it has stuck with me for so long.

That boy's name was Reggie Garrett. Great student, great kid, friend, role model and athlete. I cannot understand why the things that happened tonight happened and my heart is broken into a million pieces for his family, friends and this community. I know God has a plan and as hard as it is right now I will keep my faith in that. I also thank God for that night and the pleasure it was to talk with that young man the way we did. He was special and even though our Lord saw fit to call him home early, I have no doubt that he took him doing what he loved most in this world.

I write this with a heavy heart and I cannot stop the tears. But, I feel like God is telling me to let the family know of his words and how he felt about what he was doing when he was called home. I know there is nothing that can ease the pain right now, but in time I pray that the words he told me so many years ago will bring some comfort to his mother and father.
[/quote]

Reading this completely broke my heart, but thank you so much for sharing this and shedding light on how remarkable this young man, Reggie Garrett was AND will remain in the hearts and minds of ALL those that knew him.  Again, thank you.  Now, I'm going to hug my kids and tell them how much I love them.  God Bless the Garrett family at this time.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayers go out to the family for their loss. This comes still way to close to the loss of  one of our teens . but under different situation. Stay focused on the needs of other family members, friends and God seems to help. Again Prayers from our family to yours From Silsbee. Please God be with this family.

last night the gates of haven were opened for one of GODS angle reggie garrett and GOD took his little hand and led him into the kingdom.no words on this earth can express how i feel the tears will not stop ,my prayers are with mr and mrs garrett and the prayers will not stop ,he will be in my prayers from now on. GOD BLESS YOU REGGIE tonight i will go look into darkness and find the brigest star in the sky and knowing its him with his tender smile looking down on us and praying for us all PS sorry for the spelling  my key board is coved with tears

I am heartbroken and can not hold back the tears. I wil also forever look at the game my son plays every Friday night in a different way. I can say it will never be about a win or a lose. I hugged my son last night after his game and told him I loved him. Something I must confess I don't do enough. My family's prayers go out to the family. God Bless.

[size=18pt] R.I.P
                                           #12[/size]
In times like these, we as humans wonder,'' how can this happen, he's so young?'' Well, I found myself pondering, and wondering that all night. I'm a die hard Jaguar fan. I bleed Maroon and silver, but last night
when I heard this news, this kid, his family, his teammates and coaches, all the fans were a part of me. My heart was heavy. I'm not an emotional person but this really touched my heart.
This is to me, a wake up call. God's way of saying he's coming back. No matter who you are, no matter the age, no matter how young, He's real. I'm a true believer that God's got Reggie in his hands. And i know for a fact Reggie's in good hands. God is good all the time and never puts on us more than we can bare. He's always there. Reggie's in a better place. He was given to us to enjoy for a moment. Did you enjoy him? So graceful with the ball in his hand. Beautiful kid I never got a chance to meet. Thank God we had the brief moment to know him, hear about him, read about him.
As people we hear about these things (young athletes dying). But last night it happened to us as a community, o our Golden triangle football family. To one of our kids. Did it open your eyes? Did it?
Well, it's opened my eyes. from this day forward, I will enjoy every young man and woman from this community as they compete. i will enjoy them in victory or defeat. I will never take this or them (the kids) for granted again.
Again, prayers from my heart goes out to the family of this truly blessed kid. May God comfort you in your time of sorrow.                                  

[quote name="bcjag10" post="850207" timestamp="1284821642"]
                                                                      [size=18pt] R.I.P
                                            #12[/size]
In times like these, we as humans wonder,'' how can this happen, he's so young?'' Well, I found myself pondering, and wondering that all night. I'm a die hard Jaguar fan. I bleed Maroon and silver, but last night
when I heard this news, this kid, his family, his teammates and coaches, all the fans were a part of me. My heart was heavy. I'm not an emotional person but this really touched my heart.
This is to me, a wake up call. God's way of saying he's coming back. No matter who you are, no matter the age, no matter how young, He's real. I'm a true believer that God's got Reggie in his hands. And i know for a fact Reggie's in good hands. God is good all the time and never puts on us more than we can bare. He's always there. Reggie's in a better place. He was given to us to enjoy for a moment. Did you enjoy him? So graceful with the ball in his hand. Beautiful kid I never got a chance to meet. Thank God we had the brief moment to know him, hear about him, read about him.
As people we hear about these things (young athletes dying). But last night it happened to us as a community. To our Golden triangle football family. To one of our kids. Did it open your eyes? Did it?
Well, it's opened my eyes. from this day forward, I will enjoy every young man and woman from this community as they compete. i will enjoy them in victory or defeat. I will never take this or them (the kids) for granted again.
Again, prayers from my heart goes out to the family of this truly blessed kid. May God comfort you in your time of sorrow.                                   
[/quote] Amen ... You are So right. I feel the very same way

It is a true tragedy to lose a young person way before his time. This tragedy is compounded by the fact that it could not have occurred in a more traumatic setting for the family, team and community. Simply an unimaginable thing for those involved to go through.

The only words I have to offer those affected is to not try to go through this alone. Please depend on Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior to carry you through this and to help you while you search for comfort and understanding during a time that may appear to be a senseless tragedy.

This has affected the whole SETX community and you have our prayers and support.

True story-

Seven years ago my oldest son had a birthday/slumber party with several of his buddies from school. I have to admit that the thought of 10, 10 year old boys the night before my youngest sons first baseball game (a team that I was coaching) was not my idea of a stellar night. The boys came over and, as expected, were a typical wild group of 10 yr olds. However, thru talking with the kids I found myself talking to a kindred spirit. A 10 year old that had the same passion for football that I did. We sat and talked football while all the other boys ran around like their hair was on fire. I finally got all of the boys to settle down and as they all went to sleep and finally shut up, that one kid and I started talking football again in the pitch dark amongst all of the snoring. We talked a bunch about it that night, but in those final hours in the dark he said what has stuck with me for years since. The following is what he told me, "Sometimes I feel like I was put on this earth to play football. When I have a football in my hands, it just feels right. When I am on the field, I feel like it's where I belong". The next year my son moved with his mother to Houston and he and that kid lost touch so I haven't had much contact with him since. But, I never forgot our conversation and how amazed I was at how a 10 year old knew so well what he loved and wanted to do. It was not until tonight that our Lord revealed to me the purpose of that conversation and why it has stuck with me for so long.

That boy's name was Reggie Garrett. Great student, great kid, friend, role model and athlete. I cannot understand why the things that happened tonight happened and my heart is broken into a million pieces for his family, friends and this community. I know God has a plan and as hard as it is right now I will keep my faith in that. I also thank God for that night and the pleasure it was to talk with that young man the way we did. He was special and even though our Lord saw fit to call him home early, I have no doubt that he took him doing what he loved most in this world.

I write this with a heavy heart and I cannot stop the tears. But, I feel like God is telling me to let the family know of his words and how he felt about what he was doing when he was called home. I know there is nothing that can ease the pain right now, but in time I pray that the words he told me so many years ago will bring some comfort to his mother and father.
[/quote]

What a great story and tribute to Reggie and his family. I didnt know Garrett, but after reading everyones posts I feel like I've known him forever. Thanks so much for posting. Brought tears to my eyes, and makes me think about all of my family that plays on Thurs and Frid nights. Thoughts and prayers go out to all of you who are hurting. May God heal your pain, and comfort you. God Bless and thanks again for posting!!!

[b][size=14pt][color=blue]PRAYERS FROM KIRBYVILLE. RIP[/color][/size][/b]

[font=Georgia][size=12pt][color=navy]Last night asthe word spread through our game in Kirbyville, I was praying it was a fluke or a horrible rumor. But as we learned the truth we all began to  get silent. It was our homecoming and we had a very close game but all icould think about was this young man.. I thought i was a Wildcat fan and Jasper fan. During play offs i cheer for ANY south east texas team still moving forward. But i can honestly say that all of South East Texas was a Mustang Last night...As our game ended at Wildcat Stadium we as fans and teams took a long momentof silence for this young manand his family. I have no idea how is family is doing andidont know ifi could even handle it myself, but i truely feel that this young man has more fans and family. He was a great player and a great role model and i pray that his team, coaches, and family can pull together and play for Reggie! we all will be playing for Reggie this year. Lets make thisyoung man proud. I know when we play Wos I will be wearing a blue and silver ribbon on my wildcat shirt to honor him and to show him that win or lose we will play FOR Him.  I hope we as a community will try to do the same.. God Bless you....And rest in peace![/color][/size][/font]

[quote name="bcjag10" post="850207" timestamp="1284821642"]
                                                                     [size=18pt] R.I.P
                                           #12[/size]
As people we hear about these things (young athletes dying). But last night it happened to us as a community, o our Golden triangle football family. To one of our kids. Did it open your eyes? Did it?
[/quote]

Amen...my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

To all the kids that read this board, I'm so sorry. I too have lost a teamate and roommate in college. I know what you going through. Today is the day you need to try and get out and do something. I know it won't leave your mind, but now is the time to be strong for everyone else around you. If any of you kids need to talk to someone, please pm me and I will give you my phone number. Were all here to help. May God bless you all. I promise you, Reggie is playing football with Jesus now. Time heals all wounds. I have never forgotten my fallen teammate, but it has helped me appreciate things throughout my life.

True story-

[/quote]

Great Story...My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and everyone in this community...when one of these kids suffer, we all suffer no matter what town they're from. We may talk trash about neighboring schools, but when it comes down to it, we love our kids and would get out there on the field for them if we had to. This is a tragic loss and I am in disbelief still. Very, very sad!

Truly a SAD day for everyone involved and those of us who can't imagine how hard losing a son or daughter may be.  I never saw Reggie play, but last night he became everyone's son and we are all very sad for his loss.  GOD bless the extended WOS family and the family of Reggie.  Prayers from BH.

True story-

Seven years ago my oldest son had a birthday/slumber party with several of his buddies from school. I have to admit that the thought of 10, 10 year old boys the night before my youngest sons first baseball game (a team that I was coaching) was not my idea of a stellar night. The boys came over and, as expected, were a typical wild group of 10 yr olds. However, thru talking with the kids I found myself talking to a kindred spirit. A 10 year old that had the same passion for football that I did. We sat and talked football while all the other boys ran around like their hair was on fire. I finally got all of the boys to settle down and as they all went to sleep and finally shut up, that one kid and I started talking football again in the pitch dark amongst all of the snoring. We talked a bunch about it that night, but in those final hours in the dark he said what has stuck with me for years since. The following is what he told me, [b]"Sometimes I feel like I was put on this earth to play football.When I have a football in my hands, it just[/b] [b]feels right[/b]. [b]When I am on the field, I feel like it's where I belong"[/b]. The next year my son moved with his mother to Houston and he and that kid lost touch so I haven't had much contact with him since. But, I never forgot our conversation and how amazed I was at how a 10 year old knew so well what he loved and wanted to do. It was not until tonight that our Lord revealed to me the purpose of that conversation and why it has stuck with me for so long.

[/quote]Wow, he knew his purpose at a young age. What a blessing :) Some people go through and entire life and never know their purpose. He was special.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder