The decision about the Beaumont's new athletic complex absolutely blows my mind.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="westend1" post="792284" timestamp="1271770953"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg792126#msg792126 date=1271723261]
[quote author=SgtRey link=topic=68741.msg792123#msg792123 date=1271722575]
lol....I remember a parent(black) recenly claimed her child was making bad grades at WB....so she moved her child to Central and said that she is making good grades now....I said what was the problem...she said "those white teachers were giving my baby too much home work cause she was black"....I said " What?.... are you serious!?" and you better believe it...she was...

1956 is happening again, but the shoe is on the other foot...
[/quote]

I have a very good friend who moved their child from West Brook to Port Neches. That child told me that everything was harder at Port Neches. Education and athletics. Seems Port Neches works their kids a lot harder and prepares them for life a little better than West Brook.
[/quote]

From that evidence, you were able to draw that conclusion?   
[/quote]

Yes, but I should not have said the last sentence.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i am reading this thread, and I read white flight remarks, horrible school district, becoming more like Pt Arthur, etc....

Yet then, we read our superintendant is doing such a fine job.  Lots of contradictions.  I have to agree mostly, with SgtRey. 
I do not buy into white flight and disagree with the concept.  I do not intend to compare with Pt. Arthur and feel that that remark is unfair to that community.  I agree that BISD needs to fix their Public relations issues.

As far as WB, I have a wife and daughter that teach there and feel that they sincerely do have an interest in preparing their students.  The daughter was prepared by WB in such a way that she excelled with a masters degree from TCU(suma cum laude with 4.0 in only 4 years).  My son was prepared well enough to graduate on time at ATM and has been excepted into med-school.  I have a third at ATM and is doing quite well.  I truly believe that WB offers a good product and that its students are being sufficiently prepared. 

I apologize for bragging, but I am a proud DADDY

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="792326" timestamp="1271777526"]
Ok, i am reading this thread, and I read white flight remarks, horrible school district, becoming more like Pt Arthur, etc....

Yet then, we read our superintendant is doing such a fine job.  Lots of contradictions.  I have to agree mostly, with SgtRey. 
I do not buy into white flight and disagree with the concept.  I do not intend to compare with Pt. Arthur and feel that that remark is unfair to that community.  I agree that BISD needs to fix their Public relations issues.

As far as WB, I have a wife and daughter that teach there and feel that they sincerely do have an interest in preparing their students.  The daughter was prepared by WB in such a way that she excelled with a masters degree from TCU(suma cum laude with 4.0 in only 4 years).  My son was prepared well enough to graduate on time at ATM and has been excepted into med-school.  I have a third at ATM and is doing quite well.  I truly believe that WB offers a good product and that its students are being sufficiently prepared. 

[/quote]

Great job Weed....

My point was people go where the good school districts are. Some people call it white flight, I call it wanting to provide your kids with a good education. I have watched Port Arthur get to where it is now and I don't like it.  Being raised there it is very disappointing to see your community in the condition it is in now. I would love to see Port Arthur back where it was, but they need jobs.............

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="792326" timestamp="1271777526"]

Yet then, we read our superintendant is doing such a fine job.  Lots of contradictions.  I have to agree mostly, with SgtRey.  
I do not buy into white flight and disagree with the concept.  I do not intend to compare with Pt. Arthur and feel that that remark is unfair to that community.  I agree that BISD needs to fix their Public relations issues.

As far as WB, I have a wife and daughter that teach there and feel that they sincerely do have an interest in preparing their students.  The daughter was prepared by WB in such a way that she excelled with a masters degree from TCU(suma cum laude with 4.0 in only 4 years).  My son was prepared well enough to graduate on time at ATM and has been excepted into med-school.  I have a third at ATM and is doing quite well.  I truly believe that WB offers a good product and that its students are being sufficiently prepared.  

[/quote]

Your have exceptional kids and should be proud. I never said WB was horrible and I should have worded some of my post in a different manner, I do apologize for that. I can see where it came across in a wrong way. I also think that NONE of the schools in the state of Texas prepares a kid for college. They are more concerned about TAKS (which is another subject) and that is not the fault of the teachers. Some kids are more motivated than others. "Weedbegone" you are a fortunate man. It sounds like your kids are motivated. Not every parent has that luxury. Now back to the subject at hand. I agree with the person that started this thread. IMO they should let the tax payers have a say in naming the athletic complex. Let me ask you guys something, is there any plans to upgrade some of the schools in Beaumont?

[quote name="bleed orange" post="792365" timestamp="1271784549"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=68741.msg792326#msg792326 date=1271777526]

Yet then, we read our superintendant is doing such a fine job.  Lots of contradictions.  I have to agree mostly, with SgtRey.  
I do not buy into white flight and disagree with the concept.  I do not intend to compare with Pt. Arthur and feel that that remark is unfair to that community.  I agree that BISD needs to fix their Public relations issues.

As far as WB, I have a wife and daughter that teach there and feel that they sincerely do have an interest in preparing their students.  The daughter was prepared by WB in such a way that she excelled with a masters degree from TCU(suma cum laude with 4.0 in only 4 years).  My son was prepared well enough to graduate on time at ATM and has been excepted into med-school.  I have a third at ATM and is doing quite well.  I truly believe that WB offers a good product and that its students are being sufficiently prepared.  

[/quote]

Your have exceptional kids and should be proud. I never said WB was horrible and I should have worded some of my post in a different manner, I do apologize for that. I can see where it came across in a wrong way. I also think that NONE of the schools in the state of Texas prepares a kid for college. They are more concerned about TAKS (which is another subject) and that is not the fault of the teachers. Some kids are more motivated than others. "Weedbegone" you are a fortunate man. It sounds like your kids are motivated. Not every parent has that luxury. Now back to the subject at hand. I agree with the person that started this thread. IMO they should let the tax payers have a say in naming the athletic complex. Let me ask you guys something, is there any plans to upgrade some of the schools in Beaumont?
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by upgrade.  The latest bond issue will completely rebuild a lot of the Beaumont schools.  i think every campus will get some type of upgrade, whether it is repairs to existing facilities, expansion to get rid of temporary buildings, are just modernization of existing facilities.   Much of this is already in the building phase.  

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="westend1" post="792382" timestamp="1271788445"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg792365#msg792365 date=1271784549]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=68741.msg792326#msg792326 date=1271777526]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by upgrade.  The latest bond issue will completely rebuild a lot of the Beaumont schools.  i think every campus will get some type of upgrade, whether it is repairs to existing facilities, expansion to get rid of temporary buildings, are just modernization of existing facilities.   Much of this is already in the building phase.  
[/quote]

I was just wondering if some of the money was being spent on the schools and not all of it on the athletic complex. You answered my question. Thanks!!

[quote name="westend1" post="792284" timestamp="1271770953"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg792126#msg792126 date=1271723261]
lol....I remember a parent(black) recenly claimed her child was making bad grades at WB....so she moved her child to Central and said that she is making good grades now....I said what was the problem...she said "those white teachers were giving my baby too much home work cause she was black"....I said " What?.... are you serious!?" and you better believe it...she was...

[/quote]

I have a very good friend who moved their child from West Brook to Port Neches. That child told me that everything was harder at Port Neches. Education and athletics. Seems Port Neches works their kids a lot harder and prepares them for life a little better than West Brook.
[/quote]

[/quote]

There's more evidence than that. In UIL Academics, PN-G and West Brook have gone head-to-head a couple of times. Normally, PN-G not only defeats West Brook, but everyone else at the meet as well (we've only attended one local invitational meet where we didn't take the sweepstakes award this year). PN-GHS was also a "Recognized" school this year. WB was "Academically Acceptable."

No offense West Brook fans. Just stating the facts.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="792399" timestamp="1271795898"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=68741.msg792284#msg792284 date=1271770953]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There's more evidence than that. In UIL Academics, PN-G and West Brook have gone head-to-head a couple of times. Normally, PN-G not only defeats West Brook, but everyone else at the meet as well (we've only attended one local invitational meet where we didn't take the sweepstakes award this year). PN-GHS was also a "Recognized" school this year. WB was "Academically Acceptable."

[/quote]

Brains AND a Football team............who would of thunk it  ;D

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="792411" timestamp="1271797870"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=68741.msg792399#msg792399 date=1271795898]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Brains AND a Football team............who would of thunk it  ;D
[/quote]

Our WALMART is bigger and better.  

Guest bleed orange
I think it is cool that Beaumont is building a Athletic complex. Stupid that they are naming it after the superintendent (Over paid). There is a lot more deserving names in Beaumont than his. I was a football afficial for 10 years. Seen the good and bad times for football in the Beaumont area. Sorry guys but you are fair weather fans. If your teams are bad, no one shows up at the games. I have seen it many times.

Same with Lamar University. Good baseball teams every year and maybe 150 people show up at their games. Lets not even go there with the professional teams. Also lets not even go there with girl sports. Pretty much no support at all except from the parents who have a kid playing.

Beaumont has done a good job of trying to bring business into the city. Ford Center was a good ideal. Crocket Street was a good ideal. Without support, they may fade into the sunset. Say what you want about PNG but they pack the house good or bad teams. I am not from PNG by the way. Nederland does a good job also and so does Orangefield. Orangefield is probably the best because their fans show up in every sport. Boys and girls and we have been bad in football for a while. Not being a homer just have seen it first hand.

I hope Beaumont steps up to the plate, if not it will turn into Port Arthur eventually. I won't see it in my time. Beaumont has taken the steps Port Arthur did not. Hopefully Beaumont will thrive forever. Naming the complex after the superintendent was not one of BISD's better moves IMO.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="792477" timestamp="1271805378"]
I think it is cool that Beaumont is building a Athletic complex. Stupid that they are naming it after the superintendent (Over paid). There is a lot more deserving names in Beaumont than his. I was a football afficial for 10 years. Seen the good and bad times for football in the Beaumont area. Sorry guys but you are fair weather fans. If your teams are bad, no one shows up at the games. I have seen it many times.

Same with Lamar University. Good baseball teams every year and maybe 150 people show up at their games. Lets not even go there with the professional teams. Also lets not even go there with girl sports. Pretty much no support at all except from the parents who have a kid playing.

Beaumont has done a good job of trying to bring business into the city. Ford Center was a good ideal. Crocket Street was a good ideal. Without support, they may fade into the sunset. Say what you want about PNG but they pack the house good or bad teams. I am not from PNG by the way. Nederland does a good job also and so does Orangefield. Orangefield is probably the best because their fans show up in every sport. Boys and girls and we have been bad in football for a while. Not being a homer just have seen it first hand.

I hope Beaumont steps up to the plate, if not it will turn into Port Arthur eventually. I won't see it in my time. Beaumont has taken the steps Port Arthur did not. Hopefully Beaumont will thrive forever. Naming the complex after the superintendent was not one of BISD's better moves IMO.
[/quote] Good post!

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Domination Station" post="792482" timestamp="1271806131"]
Maybe they could name the new High School Library after Willie Ray Smith!!
[/quote]

Are even Alex Durley.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Domination Station" post="792485" timestamp="1271806384"]
They both deserve it.
[/quote]

No doubt. But not Thomas!!!!!!!!

[quote name="SFA85" post="791584" timestamp="1271532885"]
Ahhhh what short memories CBT haters seem to have.  I remember BISD being all over Ch. 6 news every Thursday night back in the early 90's with cars lined up all around the building with people voicing their concerns and anger over attendance zones, etc.  [b]Back then the crybabies from the West End was wanting 'neighborhood schools'. [/b]  CBT came in and not only had a sound attendance plan(the elementaries were back to K-5 before or right when he got here), but simplified the middle and high school zones and unloaded West Brook by creating Ozen.  Now the whining is over South Park which the majority of the crybabies don't even live there anymore plus how the and the pace of the schools are being built.  Well, I'm in favor of CBT's name being on the stadium complex.  All outsiders should hush and worry about their own and all West End crybabies should either vote their reps on the school board out or move.....
[/quote]What??? Are you serious? Thats not the way I remember it. If I'm not mistaken, it was the folks in the Pear-Orchard neighborhoods that we're screaming "we want neighborhood schools back"....and low and behold, Thomas gives them Ozen. These were the same folks screaming for de-segregation in the early 80's claiming "we want the same education the white kids are getting"....and what happened? The segregated Forest Park and Hebert and got West Brook. You cant make everybody happy all the time. To set your facts straight, it was not the west end crybabied, as you call them, that wanted neighborhood schools.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="792461" timestamp="1271801563"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=68741.msg792411#msg792411 date=1271797870]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=68741.msg792399#msg792399 date=1271795898]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah? Well we have more fans... :P

;D

In all seriousness, West Brook is definitely one of the better schools in Southeast Texas. The UIL meet where PN-G didn't take sweepstakes (the one I talked about in an earlier post) was (ironically enough) the 2009 West Brook Math & Science Meet. There were two math/science magnet schools out of Houston there that dominated the meet. PN-G and West Brook were the only local schools participating that had multiple students place. The fact that these two schools were even able to compete in math and science with the two specialized schools from Houston speaks volumes to their ability to teach and prepare students.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="792634" timestamp="1271816590"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=68741.msg792461#msg792461 date=1271801563]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=68741.msg792411#msg792411 date=1271797870]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D

In all seriousness, West Brook is definitely one of the better schools in Southeast Texas. The UIL meet where PN-G didn't take sweepstakes (the one I talked about in an earlier post) was (ironically enough) the 2009 West Brook Math & Science Meet. There were two math/science magnet schools out of Houston there that dominated the meet. PN-G and West Brook were the only local schools participating that had multiple students place. The fact that these two schools were even able to compete in math and science with the two specialized schools from Houston speaks volumes to their ability to teach and prepare students.
[/quote]

I think Westbrook was also "recognized" for 2009, for whatever that is worth.  Considering the socio-economic makeup out here, that's probably not too bad, and a definite improvement over some past years.

[quote name="westend1" post="792642" timestamp="1271817198"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=68741.msg792634#msg792634 date=1271816590]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=68741.msg792461#msg792461 date=1271801563]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D

[/quote]

I think Westbrook was also "recognized" for 2009, for whatever that is worth.   Considering the socio-economic makeup out here, that's probably not too bad, and a definite improvement over some past years.
[/quote]

Not quite. Central was the only high school in BISD to receive "Recognized" status; West Brook and Ozen were both "Academically Acceptable."

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2009/regionlist.srch.html

Region 05 is the Beaumont region. BISD is the second district on the Region 05 page. West Brook fell just a tad bit short in mathematics.

I would suggest people drive to Fort Bend ISD and see all the new construction since 2000 which includes 4 new high schools.  And Trippy, it's called White Flight.  Alot of you left PA after the layoffs in '82 and '84

SFA, Fort Bend ISD for one is having money issues and laying teachers off right now. Second, FBISD has 68,000 students, 31.42% Black, 23.71% white, 23.02 Hispanic, 21.78% Asian, and 0.19 American Indian. Thats straight from the web site of FBISD. You gotta come with something better than that. Maybe next time say like the Woodlands, Katy is not even high ratio of white. Texas is a melting pot, and the majority of school districts are as well. I think it has to do with the area mentality and socio-economic status. Black students at FBISD,Katy ISD, Conroe ISD are getting great education. PA is the armpit of Texas, and until they get a grip on the THUGS in that town it will continue to go down.

You know there are a lot of opinions here.  But if you came into my classroom at West Brook, you would see the real problems.  Regardless of the TEA ratings of our schools, we all have the same issues of dealing with educating our youth and it is virtually impossible to do when all we can do is fight about naming stadiums and who is better at UIL competitions and who has a more difficult curriculum and what ethnicity makes up what school. Simply put, the wind was taken out of many teachers sails when Dr. Thomas named the stadium after himself...I myself am very discourage about the move.  (I do realize that the board voted this issue through, but any prudent man man would have declined the offer and did what was best for his district and its public relations.) And now I have to defend, yet again, my district when I go to Houston competitions of the idiotic moves our district and school board make.  I am sick and tired of being a laughing stock at competitions outside the Golden Triangle.

And before anyone attacks the ability of my students, my children are very competitive and usually win their competitions.  The insults, jokes, and sarcastic remarks are in reference to the administration and school board decisions.  I give all I can to my students, to my school, and to my district.  It would be nice if the district could do the same for the people(students, teachers, and staff) that make the district what it is.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="tupac7" post="792837" timestamp="1271860400"]
You know there are a lot of opinions here.  But if you came into my classroom at West Brook, you would see the real problems.  Regardless of the TEA ratings of our schools, we all have the same issues of dealing with educating our youth and it is virtually impossible to do when all we can do is fight about naming stadiums and who is better at UIL competitions and who has a more difficult curriculum and what ethnicity makes up what school. Simply put, the wind was taken out of many teachers sails when Dr. Thomas named the stadium after himself...I myself am very discourage about the move.  (I do realize that the board voted this issue through, but any prudent man man would have declined the offer and did what was best for his district and its public relations.) And now I have to defend, yet again, my district when I go to Houston competitions of the idiotic moves our district and school board make.  I am sick and tired of being a laughing stock at competitions outside the Golden Triangle.

And before anyone attacks the ability of my students, my children are very competitive and usually win their competitions.  The insults, jokes, and sarcastic remarks are in reference to the administration and school board decisions.  I give all I can to my students, to my school, and to my district.  It would be nice if the district could do the same for the people(students, teachers, and staff) that make the district what it is.
[/quote]

Awesome post.

So, now you are a teacher in this district and you care for your students (yada, yady) but you ripped apart the district by saying that their schools are, how did you put it, 'below average'?  Then you seem to have some kind of man crush with our Sup. Mad at what he brings home...  How about find a new district to teach for?  These are the type of people that our children have to learn from...

As  I said before, I don't like the new name of the stadium, but I have nothing against the man... The name have been chosen so it is what it is.  Time to start beating 'your' team in this stadium. (and I'm pretty sure your team is not West Brook)

Coming from a broadcasters perspective, BISD administration is a complete joke. No one knows what the other is doing in those offices. BISD is the only school district that we have problems with when we broadcast, or try to broadcast in some instances. No other area school district gives us any problems. Even when we go outside the area for playoff games at neutral sites, we do not have any problems with those school districts.

I have found it better to deal with the particular school (WB, Ozen, Central) administration when it comes to broadcasting a game than have to go thru the BISD offices.

A JOKE!!!!!