Hamshire Fannett Basketball Program

Okay, I want to put this out in the open and look at the various comments (pro or con)  about the HF program. I am somewhat neutral because I know nothing about the program or the coaches. The only thing I know is that there is not a winning program in place, why?
I'd like to hear from people and your thoughts on improving the program.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with the two previous replies because 1. I can't wait two years.  There needs to be a change now. and 2. Talent is definitely not lacking. 

I think BLUE was asking for honest opinions not sarcasm.

Just as you probably take your program seriously we at HF do also.

[quote name="hfmom08" post="754674" timestamp="1265229661"]
I disagree with the two previous replies because 1. I can't wait two years.  There needs to be a change now. and 2. Talent is definitely not lacking. 

I think BLUE was asking for honest opinions not sarcasm.

Just as you probably take your program seriously we at HF do also.
[/quote]

The talent has to be lacking somewhat.  I do not care how bad a coach is HF has not been winning for years.  A coach can only hold good players back so much.  The talent level should take at least part of the blame.

It's very simple(but in some cases, impossible). HF has to change three things, the culture, the environment, and the mindset. They have to play the game more(culture), upgrade the practice and facilities(environment) and decide to make the basketball program a higher priority sport(mindset).

Basketball is not played by many and not enough there at HF. They have to practice the game and enhance where they practice and how they practice. Most importantly, basketball cannot be 4th or 5th on the totem pole, it has to move up in the pecking order.

Get those things set in place, you'll see improvement in the program.

But like I said, in some places, that's impossible. ;)

I would have to agree with AAW.  Not to bash HF, but they have never been known as a BBall power house.  That is same would be said about HJ Football.  HF has always had a better than average Football program, but has always lacked in BBall.  I don't know a thing about the coach, and i am not trying to bad mouth the coach at HF, but I think they (powers that be) focus more on a quality Football coach and program vs BBall.

86Hawk what exactly does lack in basketball mean?  In '99 District Champions and lost to the eventual state champs Mexia by 6 or 8 can't remember, and lost to Kountze by single digits in the YMBL (Kountze lost that year to Mexia in Regional Finals).  And I think two or three years later they went 2 or 3 rounds deep in playoffs.  Now were we a Kountze or HJ defnitely not.  Since Tarver left a lot of things have been different at HF.  Not only in Football but Basketball and Track and Field as well.  Is it talent?  I have no clue, but everyone has their slumps.  HJ wasn't that great for sure in 98 and 99, and maybe a few years after that.

[quote name="Kris_Gilmore" post="754700" timestamp="1265231399"]
86Hawk what exactly does lack in basketball mean?  In '99 District Champions and lost to the eventual state champs Mexia by 6 or 8 can't remember, and lost to Kountze by single digits in the YMBL (Kountze lost that year to Mexia in Regional Finals).  And I think two or three years later they went 2 or 3 rounds deep in playoffs.  Now were we a Kountze or HJ defnitely not.  Since Tarver left a lot of things have been different at HF.  Not only in Football but Basketball and Track and Field as well.  Is it talent?  I have no clue, but everyone has their slumps.  HJ wasn't that great for sure in 98 and 99, and maybe a few years after that.
[/quote]

The fact that you had to go back 8 to 10 years to say you made the playoffs is one reason a person would not consider HF a BBall powerhouse. I agree that talent does run in cycles. The difference is some teams cycles mean a short stay in the playoffs while other teams it may mean not making the playoffs for years. That is where AAW's comments come in to play. At HJ it all starts with BBall. Boys and Girls. The other sports take a back seat for the kids in their early years. There are  years HJ may be very good at some other sport but it is hard to sustain because of the BBall attitude. Being 3A puts you behind the 8 ball from the start with smaller enrollment. Silsbee being the larger school in the district has had more sucess with more than one sport being a playoff team in both BBall and Football. If the culture at HF is football oriented then you will probably experience alot of cycles. If ya"ll are thinking it's a coaching issue I am in no way qualified to enter that discussion.

from looking over the fence and having the pleasure to watch HF kids grow up and compete against Ec kids in Little dribblers and little league for the past 12 years, its appears to me that its not a lack of talent, but problems within the school system. There are kids who have tremendous upside, who no longer want to play for Hf in all sports and choose to play only one or none nowdays. It stems not only from personal coaching decisions but from the adminstrative stance of the school also. The problems seeem to be much greater than just boys basketball because the football program is terrible.

[/quote]

HJ was very good by 3A standards in 98 and 99.  They unfortunately played in a 4a district that athletically was one of the best in the state including a team that was number 1 in the state in 4A all during the reg season.  HJ has not been "down" in years.

[/quote]

As i said in my post, i'm not trying to bash HF, but facts are facts.  HF has not been known as a traditional basketball powerhouse.  I'm glad there were a couple of years of playoffs for the HF basketball program, but HJ has made the playoffs a few times in Football, but by no means would i consinder them a contender or the birth of a dynasty.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="754778" timestamp="1265238522"]
Start at the beginning.

Two Words - "Little Dribblers".

Make that five words - "A Good Little Dribbler Program".

It's not the whole enchilada, but its the strong foundation that you've got to build on.
[/quote]

Actually, HF has a pretty good Little Dribblers program.

Bottom line is Basketball is not a priority at this school.  They have had many talented kids come through this program but there was not a program in place to groom these kids.  If you have a basketball player.....MOVE!  There is a pretty good little dribblers program in place to get the kids interested, just no real interest at the middle school and high school level.  Football is KING but even that has went downhill in the past few years.  [shadow=red,left][/shadow]

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="HFHORNS" post="754815" timestamp="1265242498"]
Bottom line is Basketball is not a priority at this school.  They have had many talented kids come through this program but there was not a program in place to groom these kids.  If you have a basketball player.....MOVE!  There is a pretty good little dribblers program in place to get the kids interested, just no real interest at the middle school and high school level.  Football is KING but even that has went downhill in the past few years.  [shadow=red,left][/shadow]
[/quote]

We will take your kids at Orangefield, Basketball, football softball, baseball tennis, golf or what ever. ;D ;D There is talent at Hamphire Fannett. I know because I palyed against them, many times. My kids did too!!!!!

You've got to have the coaches involved to some degree for the little dribbler programs to be an issue.I have seen lots of good little dribbler,little league teams etc. that never matured in to good school clubs.One of the best little dribbler teams I ever saw was a young group in 2000 that played at Hull Daisetta.They were unreal and never saw them do anything on the school level.

86Hawk if you read my post I never said we were a powerhouse or had a dynasty.  I was just replying to what you said about HF ALWAYS has lacked in basketball. Sal, HJ was 3A in the year 1998-99.  I have a very vivid memory of playing HJ at HJ in a 3A District game in which HJ didn't make the playoffs: I believe it was HF, Liberty, and BH.  Probably the only time HF and Liberty were better than HJ in basketball.  Which we did have Brian Delord, which helped a lot with our success. I would have to agree that HF does have a decent little dribblers program, but again like some of you have mentioned it is Little Dribblers.

Guest HFGirlsSportsFan
Although I don't have a boy at HF, I see a lot of parallels with the girls program.  HF does not believe in cutting players at any level.  Watch the JV and Freshman squads.  The kids are lucky to get more than a quarter of play due to the number of people on each squad.  Winning is not a priority.  The Little Dribblers program has had some success at the Nationals level in recent years.  There is spotty participation in AAU programs where you can really learn basketball instead of from your dad coaching you.  The administration doesn't really help in this area because they will not allow select teams to practice in their gyms.  Up until just recently, the administration was instructed to emphasis education over athletics, losing sight that both complement each other.  HF Football has not been strong in years.  In fact, the first little league football squad to play in Fannett is this years sophomores.  If anything is king in HF, its Baseball.  Soccer has depleted the number of good athletes available to participate in basketball.  The facilities are definitely lacking.  HF has the smallest and oldest gym in the district.  It was the Girl's Basketball Coach that led the effort to get our program a Gun last year.  Student Fan support of the program is very limited.  This is probably due to the fact that the high school administration does not support athletics.  The principal did not allow pep rally's for the football team on away games because it disrupted classes and caused the students to be rowdy.  Not a pretty picture, but it is what it is.  The talent is there to be competitive, its just hard for it to fight through all the apathy.  It can be turned around if parents will get involved.  Until then????????????????????

I saw where someone mentioned environment and mentality.  The mentality at HF has changed in all sports besides baseball.  The last time HF was actually competitive in Bball was when Coach Dale, G & Lindstrom were there.  They had gone through a drought of not winning any district games before Coach Dale took over.  The kids have been affected in all sports mentally.  The way the athletic department is run is harming all of their sports.  They have good coaches there, but the leadership in the department is hurting the school.

School board elections will be in May. So if you are realy wonting a change, when that person comes and knocks on your door, and asks for your vote, man up and ask them right there face to face. What is you stance with the program. Dont hide behind this sreen and wait for someone to do the dirty work.  If you wont to change anything it will only start at the top and work down

[quote name="True Blue" post="755013" timestamp="1265295973"]
School board elections will be in May. So if you are realy wonting a change, when that person comes and knocks on your door, and asks for your vote, man up and ask them right there face to face. What is you stance with the program. Dont hide behind this sreen and wate for someone to do the dirty work.  If you wont to change anything it will only start at the top and work down
[/quote]HF has bigger problems than basketball......they have forgotten to teach spelling  :D  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder