100-0

AI_Fan

"Somewhere during the game they got caught up in a moment" speaking of the players,fans &coaches.just where was an administrator to make the coach call off the dogs? after its done, its done. it can't just be fix with I,m so sorry.there are no do-overs in sports and these people were supposed to be christian? I'd hate to see there bad guys. this sounds like a story that I read in the good book where Romans fed the Christians to the lions. wonder how those parents who won would feel if their child was on the other team. Karma baby Karma   

Covenant coach who beat Dallas Academy 100-0 is fired

06:50 PM CST on Sunday, January 25, 2009

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News

[email protected]

The Covenant School fired its girls’ basketball coach Sunday, the same day he distributed an e-mail and posted on a Web site that he disagreed with the school’s headmaster as well as the school’s chairman of the board, who have publicly apologized for Covenant’s 100-0 victory over Dallas Academy.

Kyle Queal, Covenant’s head of school, said former coach Micah Grimes “now only represents himself.†Queal said he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of his e-mail and posting.

Also Online

01/24/09: Dallas Academy, 100-0 losers, gains national attention

Floyd: Show sportsmanship instead of condemning Dallas Covenant

01/23/09: Covenant School seeks forfeit of 100-0 win

Link: Covenant statement regarding the game

Opinion blog: Remorse as sportsmanship

Metro blog: Cuban invites Dallas Academy players to Mavs game

01/22/09: Dallas academy coach sees a win in 100-0 loss

Learn more about Dallas Academy athletics

Dallas Academy girls basketball scores, schedule

Grimes’ e-mail and posting said, “In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls’ basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed,†Micah Grimes wrote in an email sent to The Dallas Morning News. “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.â€

On its Web site Thursday, the school posted a statement that said it “regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition.†It was signed by Kyle Queal, the head of school and Todd Doshier, board chair.

Grimes did not immediately respond to repeated email requests for an interview. But his email and Web site post concluded, “I believe in the lessons that sports teach us. Competition builds character, and teaches us to value selflessness, hard work, and perseverance. As a coach, I have instilled in my girls these values. So if I loose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity.â€

His Web site is Irving-based and lists him as one of the program’s coaches.

Covenant has been in the national spotlight since Thursday when The Dallas Morning News published a story about its 100-point shutout victory over Dallas Academy back on Jan. 13.

Dallas Academy coaches and administrators say Covenant kept the pressure on until it reached 100 points midway through the fourth quarter.

Sunday’s email was the first public communication from Grimes since he emailed The News on Wednesday night. In the original email that was copied to Queal and athletic director Brice Helton, Grimes called scoring 100 points “unfortunate.â€

“It just happened,†he wrote. “Please know Covenant intended no harm against them. I see this as a real learning opportunity, so we can prevent this from happening in the future.â€

In Sunday’s email, which didn’t appear to be copied to school officials, Grimes said his team stopped applying full-court defensive pressure after the score reached 25-0 three minutes into the game, dropped into a relatively benign zone defense and began resting his starters in favor of his three bench players.

Dallas Academy coach Andrew Lott agreed Covenant stopped pressing but returned with an alternate press later in the game. “I am 100 percent sure,†said Lott, who estimated his team was able to get off “seven shots†all game.

“He’s entitled to his opinion,†Lott said. “If you ask 10 people about it you might get 10 different answers.â€

Lott said his team did not videotape the Jan. 13 game hosted by Covenant but he is certain Covenant did as there was a camera was set up near the Dallas Academy bench. “Maybe we could look at the tape,†Lott said.

The story has captured national and international attention.

When posted on dallasnews.com, the first-day story attracted 665,000 page views worldwide, an enormous number for a story on a local private school girls’ basketball game.

E-mails have flooded in from across the country and as far away as China and Thailand commenting on the story. Most have questioned the motives of Covenant’s coach for “running up†the score. But some have defended the coach for allowing his girls to play to their potential. None have blamed the Covenant players.

Dallas Academy girls, portrayed as lovable losers on the court but winners in life for their attitude after the loss, have been showered with praise nationally. They’ve were on ABC and CBS network morning shows on Saturday and are scheduled to make a repeat appearance on ABC’s Good Morning America on Monday as well as their Today show debut.

From what I've read and heard, the coach did not run the score up. He took out his starters and played his remaining bench players. I would always teach a kid to play hard no matter what the score.

100 to 0 ? ? Not running up the score ?

OK whatever, but that is not why he was fired--- Over the weekend he developed "Mouth Diahreah" -- (he had suurvived the 100-0 score) - But his attitude afterward sealed his fate..

From what I've read and heard, the coach did not run the score up. He took out his starters and played his remaining bench players. I would always teach a kid to play hard no matter what the score.

OK whatever, but that is not why he was fired--- Over the weekend he developed "Mouth Diahreah" -- (he had suurvived the 100-0 score) - But his attitude afterward sealed his fate..

okay, if my team is far superior than yours, what am I to do? Just pass the ball around? If the team is that bad, maybe they should disband the team or go play in a "Y" rec league.

okay, if my team is far superior than yours, what am I to do? Just pass the ball around? If the team is that bad, maybe they should disband the team or go play in a "Y" rec league.

I am not saying he did or did not intentionally run up the score or if he could've should've held his team back.

Like I said runnng uo the score is NOT why he was fired.

I am not saying he did or did not intentionally run up the score or if he could've should've held his team back.

Like I said runnng uo the score is NOT why he was fired.

I understood what you said but it's more interesting to look at it from the score of the game, not because he ran his mouth off and got fired. The scores from the game started the whole thing.

I agree with the coach on this one.....

In our own words: The Journey to a 100-0 victory

By: Coach Micah Grimes

After counting down the seconds until the final buzzer, I lined up my girls to wish the opposing team well, and then headed into the locker room for our post game rituals.  After the girls and I said our goodbyes, I headed home to reflect like I always do after every game. But this was no ordinary game.  Little did I know that in the next eight days, Barry Horn would write an article for Dallas Morning News about our 100-0 win over Dallas Academy that would start a firestorm of articles, nationally broadcasted news stories, and hateful email about me and the 8 young ladies that make up the Dallas Covenant School girls basketball team. I’ve always taught my girls to value honesty, integrity, compassion for others and to stand up for those values despite the consequences. So it is for Andi, Savannah, Taylor, Lauren, Wren, Marquita, Blair, Tiffany and our assistant coach Kelly that I tell our story.

The Team.  We are hardly the “elite basketball powerhouse†that we are described as in the National and local media. Up until 3 years ago, we rarely had a winning season.  In fact, during my first year at Covenant four years ago, we experienced one of our worst seasons - a losing record of only 2 wins and 19 losses that sunk to an 82-6 low in a game that forever changed us and how we approached the game of basketball.  Two years later we made the first Final Four appearance in the school’s history. Like Dallas Academy, Covenant is a small Christian school, which is why we are in the same district. We don’t have a home gym so we rent out facilities or gym space in the community so we can practice, and then watch game film at the home of one of the players. We’ve never had a full roster. Only about 30 high school girls attend Covenant and only 8 of those girls play basketball.  During many of the games this year, we played with 6 girls, and sometimes only 5. When players fouled out, we’ve had to finish the game with 4.  But we always finished the game.

The Players.  Rarely does a coach find a player who will run the extra laps, do the extra push-ups, or shoot the extra baskets without complaining. I have 8 such players—2 freshmen, a sophomore who is new to the school and team, another sophomore who has been with us for two years, two Juniors who have been with us for 3 years, a Senior who is new to the team and school, and another Junior who is new to basketball and is learning how to play for the first time in her life.  My girls believe in each other, motivate each other, and see each other as family. The respect and admiration I have for them and their parents are the main reason why I come back to Covenant each year.

The Game. The game started like any other high school basketball game across the nation. The teams warm-up, coaches talk, the ball is tipped, and then the play begins. We started the game off with a full-court press. After 3 minutes into play, we had already reached a 25-0 lead.  Like any rational thinking coach would do, I  immediately stopped the full-court press, dropped into a 2-3 zone defense, and started subbing in my 3 bench players. This strategy continued for the rest of the game and allowed the Dallas Academy players to get the ball up the court for a chance to score. The second half started with a score of 59-0. Seeing that we would win by too wide of a margin, running down the clock was the only logical course of action left.  Contrary to the articles, there were only a total of four 3-point baskets made; three in the first quarter, and only one in the third quarter. I continued to sub in bench players, play zone defense, and run the clock for the rest of the game.  We played fair and honorably within the rules and in the presence of the parents, coaches, and athletic directors for both Covenant School and Dallas Academy. 

The Apology.  In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Website, I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel "embarrassed" or "ashamed". We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy. We honor God, ourselves, and our families when we step on the court to compete. I do not wish to forfeit the game. What kind of example does it set for our children? Do we really want to punish Covenant School girls?  Does forfeiting really help Dallas Academy girls?  We experienced a blowout almost 4 years ago and it was painful, but it made us who we are today. I believe in the lessons that sports teach us.  Competition builds character, and teaches us to value selflessness, hard work, and perseverance.  As a coach, I have instilled in my girls these values. So if I lose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity. 

Sincerely,

Micah Grimes

Box Scores:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

First of all, on the notion of character, the coach has none. Second, don't punish the team by forfeiting, punish the coach who could have easily prevented it.  Thirdly, you can prevent a score like that if you want to. And hopefully by doing that you might actually teach your kids a little mercy, something they might need later in their lives. There is no excuse for a score like that.  I have coached before and have gotten up on teams early, 35-0 in the first quarter, called off the dogs and only scored 10 points the rest of the game. It can be done if you really want.  I bet he does next time.

First of all, on the notion of character, the coach has none. Second, don't punish the team by forfeiting, punish the coach who could have easily prevented it.  Thirdly, you can prevent a score like that if you want to. And hopefully by doing that you might actually teach your kids a little mercy, something they might need later in their lives. There is no excuse for a score like that.  I have coached before and have gotten up on teams early, 35-0 in the first quarter, called off the dogs and only scored 10 points the rest of the game. It can be done if you really want.  I bet he does next time.

I agree (until your last sentence). I'm betting he has already hitched himself to the "my way or the highway wagon".

i personally think this score was a shame... i don't think the coach deserved to be fired in this situation, however, mouth running or not.  surely this was not an issue that was addressed when they hired this guy, or it never would've happened.  you can't fire a guy for winning a game, and then getting upset when you basically undermine him after the game.  give him the season to realign his coaching style to what you want for your team, and if he can do that, then keep him.  if not, let him go at the end of the season in an appropriate matter. 

It's odd that in all of this I have not seen anyone mention the opposing teams coach.  I have not read where he was critical of the score.  You cannot expect players to just quit during the game.  When this is done, it becomes embarrising to the losing team.  I have coached and watched far too many sporting events that the scores get out of control, especially youth events, even with mercy rules in place.  This is high school ball, and judging from the box score, the players and coaches did call off the dogs.  It is shameful for anyone to question  the Christian character of the coaches or players.  Do not judge, lest you be judged.

It's odd that in all of this I have not seen anyone mention the opposing teams coach.  I have not read where he was critical of the score.  You cannot expect players to just quit during the game.  When this is done, it becomes embarrising to the losing team.  I have coached and watched far too many sporting events that the scores get out of control, especially youth events, even with mercy rules in place.  This is high school ball, and judging from the box score, the players and coaches did call off the dogs.  It is shameful for anyone to question  the Christian character of the coaches or players.  Do not judge, lest you be judged.

Agreed! Our system is based on kicking butt. You put in the hard work; you will be rewarded.

I am not judging, I am stating facts. 59-0 at half, 88-0 after 3. A good coach would have seen that after the first 10 points that you were a superior team and would have backed off then. And yes it can be done without embarrasing the other team. But then again, some coaches have to try to win as bad as they can to prove what a great coach they are. I wonder how many people would have heard about this if would have ended up, say 50-0. My guess would be none. 

With all this happening, soon the UIL is gonna make a new rule for basketball.

I wouldnt be surprise they make a mercy that your allowed to win by 50 pts or less or do like football if your up by 40-60 pts keep running the clock even on free throws and dead ball.

With all this happening, soon the UIL is gonna make a new rule for basketball.

I wouldnt be surprise they make a mercy that your allowed to win by 50 pts or less or do like football if your up by 40-60 pts keep running the clock even on free throws and dead ball.

Does UIL have jurisdiction over small private schools?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder