NCAA should give this some thought........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played baseball at div 1 level. And were up everyday at 545 and it didnt end till 8 that day. That was my job being a student athlete and i know how hard it is. These guy that leave there univ early owe them nothing

Sorry man I played Football AND Baseball at a pretty tough academic school where athletes were cut ABSOLUTELY ZERO breaks.  You go to school for free and I think you owe something to the school or whoever is paying for it.  It's give and take...a contract between two entities if you will.  Will payback ever happen...I doubt it.  To think you're the all knowing because you played baseball in college...wake up.  Might want to watch the insults when you don't know anything about the person you're talking to.  Don't think I fall into the parent who's kid couldn't make it as a student athlete either...my son is 3.  Your take is different and I will respect that...

you guys that are saying they owe the university something..

you seriously think a REGULAR student brings the school the same publicity that a STUDENT athlete brings them?!

you have to be kidding me.. i promise most D1 schools are much better known for their sports than academics, and they can thank their student athletes for that. because not near as many ppl would be applying if their teams weren't playing for the championships every year.

and if you dont think thats true.. well you know what i'm going to say

you seriously think a REGULAR student brings the school the same publicity that a STUDENT athlete brings them?!

you have to be kidding me.. i promise most D1 schools are much better known for their sports than academics, and they can thank their student athletes for that. because not near as many ppl would be applying if their teams weren't playing for the championships every year.

Depends on who you ask...student or student athlete.

I think the student-athlete owes his college for paying for his/her education.  If the school is willing to settle for we'll pay your college if you play for us on a year by year basis then what can you do.  Most schools receive public funding of some type.  I just think you make a commitment to graduate when you accept an athletic scholarship from a school.  If you graduate in 3 years and want to go pro then great.  I don't think the standards are high enough for players or coaches for that matter.  By no means am I saying the school has no culpability either but that's another topic.  Contracts and commitments don't seem to mean what they used to.

Yes I do...they owe the university RESPECT and GRATITUDE by showing up to class, passing their classes, attending all functions, staying out of trouble, busting your tail, doing what you're not only asked to do, but told to do as well......and last, but not least, representing the university in a positive manner....These are just the things off the top of my head!

If you don't think that's true...well, you know what I'm going to say!

I think the student-athlete owes his college for paying for his/her education.  If the school is willing to settle for we'll pay your college if you play for us on a year by year basis then what can you do.  Most schools receive public funding of some type.  I just think you make a commitment to graduate when you accept an athletic scholarship from a school.  If you graduate in 3 years and want to go pro then great.  I don't think the standards are high enough for players or coaches for that matter.  By no means am I saying the school has no culpability either but that's another topic.  Contracts and commitments don't seem to mean what they used to.

You hit the nail on the head.....

Guest baseball25

Scholarship is renewed every yr u dont sign one for 4yrs. Ur telling me c anthony owes syracuse something he got them the trophy. Micheal beasley and durant u think they should owe there univ money? Come on now ut knew what they were getting. They didnt lose any money what so ever wit durant they made money. These playes make money for these universities

Scholarship is renewed every yr u dont sign one for 4yrs. Ur telling me c anthony owes syracuse something he got them the trophy. Micheal beasley and durant u think they should owe there univ money? Come on now ut knew what they were getting. They didnt lose any money what so ever wit durant they made money. These playes make money for these universities

Let's not forget that a player can't lose his scholarship due to performance on the field when renewal time come up

It's not about whether the university made money or not.  It's the student/athlete didn't fulfill his commitment and took the spot of someone who would.  How do you penalize someone for not fulfilling their commitment...know any other way besides you pay back what was given to you?  There should be some kind of penalty for leaving EARLY.

It's not about whether the university made money or not.  It's the student/athlete didn't fulfill his commitment and took the spot of someone who would.  How do you penalize someone for not fulfilling their commitment...know any other way besides you pay back what was given to you?  There should be some kind of penalty for leaving EARLY.

Why should they be anymore commitment than the coach,If someone offers them a million more they are out of there in a flash. The coaches have contracts and they get out of them.So why should some kid have to pay anything back.There are no guarantees.

Guest baseball25

schools pay them for a reason. I mean do you see how much enrollment goes up at places who have football teams. Lamars went down when they dropped theirs. its creates way more money  for them, not to mention if your a big time school who gets ton of money from games and advertising and sale of sports  apparell. Those schools make ton off these kids the reward outweights the risk temedously. The risk is known, u sign scholarships for years at a time too......nor for 4 straight years like i said......you don't hear about the kids that get cut even thought it is rare.....but it does happen......if school can get out of contract  kids who make them tons of money should too....I  mean should the school pay them the rest of the tution  money for 4 years? its not like they lose the scholarship they will use it on   someone else. I mean your allowed a certain number. I mean its basically a job and would u tell a grad assistant he has to pay for all the school he had pay for  if he gets an assistant job somewhere else?no  because he helped the school.......

schools pay them for a reason. I mean do you see how much enrollment goes up at places who have football teams. Lamars went down when they dropped theirs. its creates way more money  for them, not to mention if your a big time school who gets ton of money from games and advertising and sale of sports  apparell. Those schools make ton off these kids the reward outweights the risk temedously. The risk is known, u sign scholarships for years at a time too......nor for 4 straight years like i said......you don't hear about the kids that get cut even thought it is rare.....but it does happen......if school can get out of contract  kids who make them tons of money should too....I  mean should the school pay them the rest of the tution  money for 4 years? its not like they lose the scholarship they will use it on   someone else. I mean your allowed a certain number. I mean its basically a job and would u tell a grad assistant he has to pay for all the school he had pay for  if he gets an assistant job somewhere else?no  because he helped the school.......

Aman you are right the schools don't lose

Why should they be anymore commitment than the coach,If someone offers them a million more they are out of there in a flash. The coaches have contracts and they get out of them.So why should some kid have to pay anything back.There are no guarantees.

Coaches have buyouts to get out of the contract

The topic isn't about whether schools win or lose in the deal.  That's a whole 'nother topic in itself. 

Yes I do...they owe the university RESPECT and GRATITUDE by showing up to class, passing their classes, attending all functions, staying out of trouble, busting your tail, doing what you're not only asked to do, but told to do as well......and last, but not least, representing the university in a positive manner....These are just the things off the top of my head!

If you don't think that's true...well, you know what I'm going to say!

thats obvious stevieray.. i mean money wise

These student athletes owe the Schools they play for absolutely nothing. An academic scholarship is a free education. When a kid gets exploited by the university for the purpose of raising as many millions as possible the kid deserves to benefit as well. Last I heard, the reason a person goes to college is to get an education to be able get a good job and make as much money as possible. If a kid can get a job in the NBA, NFL, or another professional sport based on their efforts in college sports, that is great. Look at the college players who left early and went back to college and got their degrees (Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Emmit Smith, Shaq, etc.).

No one has mentioned how colleges make money off these kids blood, sweat, and tears through ticket sales, jerseys, shoe deals, and other sports memorabilia. I have not seen anyone put on a Mack Brown Jersey, but I have seen people buy a Colt McCoy jersey and he cannot even get one given to him or he will be put in jeopardy of losing his scholarship. Coaches win games and leave universities all the time for more money and better career opportunities.           

These student athletes owe the Schools they play for absolutely nothing. An academic scholarship is a free education. When a kid gets exploited by the university for the purpose of raising as many millions as possible the kid deserves to benefit as well. Last I heard, the reason a person goes to college is to get an education to be able get a good job and make as much money as possible. If a kid can get a job in the NBA, NFL, or another professional sport based on their efforts in college sports, that is great. Look at the college players who left early and went back to college and got their degrees (Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Emmit Smith, Shaq, etc.).

No one has mentioned how colleges make money off these kids blood, sweat, and tears through ticket sales, jerseys, shoe deals, and other sports memorabilia. I have not seen anyone put on a Mack Brown Jersey, but I have seen people buy a Colt McCoy jersey and he cannot even get one given to him or he will be put in jeopardy of losing his scholarship. Coaches win games and leave universities all the time for more money and better career opportunities.           

several of us mentioned those.

A kid just quitting school for no reason and going pro are different things. I think those who go pro benefit the school more than they hurt it... as you said. Also, as a big time athlete on a big stage, you are on borrowed time injury wise anyway. As long as they aren't breaking any NCAA rules.... can't blame them.

The point I was trying to make is right in this statement by StevieRay and I quote "You're right, it's not easy and it shouldn't be....I was given a free education, so I didn't mind all the time and hard work that I was asked to do....I owed the university my best effort and they got it." I know it takes tons of talent and hard work to earn a scholarship to any school, I still to this day regret turning down the scholarship to Northwestern Texas in order to go into the Army. My point is that if you are given this opportunity, you should have to honor the ENTIRE commitment. If you go pro then you should pay it back, then the university has that much more money to help another student through plain and simple. Plus it would slow the talent drain from the university.

The point I was trying to make is right in this statement by StevieRay and I quote "You're right, it's not easy and it shouldn't be....I was given a free education, so I didn't mind all the time and hard work that I was asked to do....I owed the university my best effort and they got it." I know it takes tons of talent and hard work to earn a scholarship to any school, I still to this day regret turning down the scholarship to Northwestern Texas in order to go into the Army. My point is that if you are given this opportunity, you should have to honor the ENTIRE commitment. If you go pro then you should pay it back, then the university has that much more money to help another student through plain and simple. Plus it would slow the talent drain from the university.

Agree

Guest baseball25

Raider old timer when u get a scholarship its for one yr u dont get all 4yrs at once u have a meeting wit the coaches after the season and u discuss if ur getting it back or not. I mean if u play for one yr and go pro hey u got ur 24hrs of school and gave ur heart and soul on the field why should u pay the univ back?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• Or a less lethal option would be to have law enforcement yell improper pronouns at them...they'd scatter like sheep. I still prefer your way, lol.
    • I ve seen this done in several other countries.  And in those countries it happens very lil because of the severity of the consequences.   I saw a video of other world leaders ask “why does America allow such destructiveness” when all the civil unrest was happening because a criminal/criminals were killed  by not following commands.     we have a great system in place but it’s been compromised and we could still learn from other countries.
    • I am out of VOTES, but I will give a BIG AMEN!!!!
    • You start opening fire and drop about 10 or 12 of these protesting morons it will break up pretty quick.    This ties in with killing the chicken killing dog.
    • This is an easy one. We have let grifter unqualified coaches infiltrate our children and convince them that they will be D1 athletes if they only focus on a single sport. We've got kids, with single digit ages, playing their sport year-round to "maximize exposure" despite the fact that most college coaches on the recruiting trail will value a multisport athlete. This translates to the school year and ends up with kids being football, basketball, baseball only kids. Track is pretty much the only one left that keeps kids playing other sports and that's primarily because football coaches demand their football kids be track athletes. I literally talked to a man last night, who just moved to Texas from Oklahoma who was telling me his kid played on two different football teams during the season last year. One for his school, one for his select league. During the week the kid was a RB for his school, and on the weekends, he was a QB for his select team. This would equal 7 days a week of full contact football for a 6th grader......6th grader. Once that ends, rolls straight into 7 on 7 for the spring and back to football in the summer. All this for a kid, who seems to be a good athlete, but probably has a ceiling of D2 at best, if he doesn't burn out before that. Parents are silly and think they can develop their kids into being the next Quinn Ewers, but they completely miss the biggest factor in creating that type of athlete.....genetics. Genetics are undefeated. Always have been, always will be. Play sports because you love to compete then compete in everything you do. Quit giving bullsheet rings to "state champions" every single weekend all over the US and get back to valuing team championships won at the community level to build the continuity when they are young. This is the only way to reestablish the pride once felt by every kid in every town across Texas when they got to put on a uniform with their school colors. Otherwise, we can kiss the magic of high school sports goodbye. 
  • Topics