NCAA should give this some thought........

Today I glanced over yet another article about a college football player having decided to stay for his senior year and this gave me an idea. Since a full scholarship in a sense is a paid contract to play for that school, they should put certain stipulations in that scholarship (contract). The First being that if an athlete goes pro and does not complete his/her college education, including graduating, he/she should be required to repay in full the cost of providing that education. Also, if they don't finish because of academic reasons again they should have to repay at least a portion of the scholarship depending on the outcome of an investigative committee as to the reason fro failure. After all, when one of those kids leaves and goes pro, it's not like they don't have the money to repay what was given to them for free. Just think how much money this would save colleges.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I glanced over yet another article about a college football player having decided to stay for his senior year and this gave me an idea. Since a full scholarship in a sense is a paid contract to play for that school, they should put certain stipulations in that scholarship (contract). The First being that if an athlete goes pro and does not complete his/her college education, including graduating, he/she should be required to repay in full the cost of providing that education. Also, if they don't finish because of academic reasons again they should have to repay at least a portion of the scholarship depending on the outcome of an investigative committee as to the reason fro failure. After all, when one of those kids leaves and goes pro, it's not like they don't have the money to repay what was given to them for free. Just think how much money this would save colleges.

I agree 110%!!!!!!  I am tired of kids getting a free ride and then taking it for granted.  If they come and leave early then make them pay it back.....they are getting a pro contract and can afford it.

I agree 110%!!!!!!  I am tired of kids getting a free ride and then taking it for granted.  If they come and leave early then make them pay it back.....they are getting a pro contract and can afford it.

Sounds good to me to, but then you get the comeback of ... How many butts did those kids put in the seats while they were at the particular school, etc?

Sounds good to me to, but then you get the comeback of ... How many butts did those kids put in the seats while they were at the particular school, etc?

I was about to say the same thing.  I bet Florida is glad that Tim Tebow came there regardless if he chooses to stay or go.  He helped them win a Natl Championship.

I was about to say the same thing.  I bet Florida is glad that Tim Tebow came there regardless if he chooses to stay or go.  He helped them win a Natl Championship.

which equal $$$ for the school.

That is an ignorant fix for no problem at all.  When players go pro early it keeps an even flow of talent through your program.  I don't see why they owe anything to the school.  They worked hard to get there, they work hard to stay there, and they go to class at the same time.  Plus, when players leave for higher aspirations that only sheds light back on their past programs....which is great for recruiting and selling jerseys.  As for the kids that go and can't keep the grades, have you ever heard of kicking a man while he's down.  That would put them in debt without a degree, not very nice at all. 

There's always the thought of "if they show up for class on the 1st day of their junior year then they've committed."  Anyone kicked out or leaving early after that has to repay all they owe.  Kick a man when he's down, c'mon...just makes it that much more motivating to stay in!!

That is an ignorant fix for no problem at all.  When players go pro early it keeps an even flow of talent through your program.  I don't see why they owe anything to the school.  They worked hard to get there, they work hard to stay there, and they go to class at the same time.  Plus, when players leave for higher aspirations that only sheds light back on their past programs....which is great for recruiting and selling jerseys.  As for the kids that go and can't keep the grades, have you ever heard of kicking a man while he's down.  That would put them in debt without a degree, not very nice at all. 

Funny thing is this "ignorant" policy is the one that's been in practice at all the military academies for years.  Don't hear any of them complaining.

they wouldn't be getting any money regardless.

some of these kids come from broken homes, and could NEVER afford a 4 year university.

so they'd send that family this huge bill, and never see ANY money!

kinda pointless to me..

like someone else said, how many butts do these guys put in their seats?

way more than an education costs.

thats why a law like this hasn't and will not be passed

Guest baseball25

College players owe there university nothing. I mean look at c melo he got syracue there champ what does he owe them? Guys u dont know how hard it is to play at the div 1 level if u did u then u realize what it takes and the work u put in at that level

College players owe there university nothing. I mean look at c melo he got syracue there champ what does he owe them? Guys u dont know how hard it is to play at the div 1 level if u did u then u realize what it takes and the work u put in at that level

I know one guy on this thread that does.

but I agree. Most of these guys that declare early bring their Univ. alot of publicity.

Whaaaa, now I'm hearing some whining.  What it takes to play on the D1 level...c'mon YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE FOR FREE!!  That's an opportunity that many non-athletic students in the top 10% of their graduating class would love to have.  Hence YOU DO OWE SOMETHING TO THE UNIVERSITY.  If you don't take advantage of the opportunity then its your own fault.  In these days of entitlement, I guess I shouldn't expect understanding of the OPPORTUNITY that colleges are giving to athletes and the OPPORTUNITY it takes away from someone else. 

PS - What Myron Rolle has done at Florida State is amazing.

Guest baseball25

For free? Ur a dumb A u know that.  U get up at 545 in the morning and workout. got school till 2. Pract till 6. Then u got film ur done by 8. Thats there job and its everyday. They owe the university nothing. Those players are the one that puts fans in the seats.

Whaaaa, now I'm hearing some whining.  What it takes to play on the D1 level...c'mon YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE FOR FREE!!  That's an opportunity that many non-athletic students in the top 10% of their graduating class would love to have.  Hence YOU DO OWE SOMETHING TO THE UNIVERSITY.  If you don't take advantage of the opportunity then its your own fault.  In these days of entitlement, I guess I shouldn't expect understanding of the OPPORTUNITY that colleges are giving to athletes and the OPPORTUNITY it takes away from someone else. 

PS - What Myron Rolle has done at Florida State is amazing.

I agree...

Guest baseball25

Yall are either explayers or parents that think ur kid should have played college ball or u think u were good enough to play at that level. Fact is ur jealous. Bec ur son was prob horrible or u were just flat out horrible. it takes a special athlete to play at the div 1 level

Yall are either explayers or parents that think ur kid should have played college ball or u think u were good enough to play at that level. Fact is ur jealous. Bec ur son was prob horrible or u were just flat out horrible. it takes a special athlete to play at the div 1 level

Who are you talking to exactly?  Please clarify.....Another thing, please tell me that you played football at a Division I school....

Guest baseball25

I played baseball at div 1 level. And were up everyday at 545 and it didnt end till 8 that day. That was my job being a student athlete and i know how hard it is. These guy that leave there univ early owe them nothing

For free? Ur a dumb A u know that.   U get up at 545 in the morning and workout. got school till 2. Pract till 6. Then u got film ur done by 8. Thats there job and its everyday. They owe the university nothing. Those players are the one that puts fans in the seats.

I agree with you on the fact the players should be able to leave when they want. I completely disagree with your method of communication. Personally insulting someone that disagrees with you shows lack of character. I'm sure your a fine person, but you should think about how you communicate.  ;)

Guest baseball25

Bec yall think college athletes get it easy and they dont. Its hard to do what they do. u would undestand if u experienced it before and play at that level.

You're right, it's not easy and it shouldn't be....I was given a free education, so I didn't mind all the time and hard work that I was asked to do....I owed the university my best effort and they got it. 

I remember making a freshman LB (a big time recruit) leave practice when I was a senior because he was complaining and saying that he would rather be somewhere else than on the field...I knew he was just talking about the heat and just striking up a conversation, but I had to make an example out of him...I remember what I said and I'll quote it, "my gosh, you are given a free education, free housing, free books, free food, and you get to play college football, but you would rather be somewhere else?  Get your a** outta here and don't come back until you are ready to commit to this team and university!"  He tried to explain himself and I wanted none of it

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin