*Nederland vs. Central Updates/JAGS WIN!!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Jag on the victory. You ran the ball very well and we couldn't stop it. The game would have been worse if your QB was more accurate and that one WR didn't drop that wide open pass that would have went for an 80+ yard touchdown. Central didn't really stop Grogan i'd guess he averaged about 5 yards a carry, but Bellows looked out of rythm all night because of Central's speedy D. Also like someone else said earlier this week Nederland always has trouble stopping a scrambling QB and tonight was no exception. Central had a few fumbles but they recovered them everytime. Best of luck to yall the rest of the season.

This was another good game.  I thought we were done after #9 Thomas went down on the first play.  We sucked it up and kept low on our blocks.  We kept running the ball well,  We passed ok.   I just like the fact that when we were making big plays in the passing game, it stopped Nederland from keying in on that run so much.  We milked the clock very well.

On defense, we did everthing possible to get that animal Grogan under control.  We got pressure on Bellows and like the Nederland posters stated, he was off most of the night.  We played tight on the receivers.  

To sum it up, this was a well coached game by the Jags.  Way to redeem yourself from last week.  I'm very pleased seeing how we are capable of playing.  Also on that last FG, I figured Nederland called that time out to ice our kicker. It was us that called it.  I'm still don't understand why.  Was thinking we was going for the 4th and 5.  Oh well, Can't argue with the win.  

On a side note, the field conditions were fine.  Didn't appear too muddy.  Thank you, Nederland fans for the congradulations on this post.  

Guest WeedBegone

This was another good game.  I thought we were done after #9 Thomas went down on the first play.  We sucked it up and kept low on our blocks.  We kept running the ball well,  We passed ok.   I just like the fact that when we were making big plays in the passing game, it stopped Nederland from keying in on that run so much.  We milked the clock very well.

On defense, we did everthing possible to get that animal Grogan under control.  We got pressure on Bellows and like the Nederland posters stated, he was off most of the night.  We played tight on the receivers.  

To sum it up, this was a well coached game by the Jags.  Way to redeem yourself from last week.  I'm very pleased seeing how we are capable of playing.  Also on that last FG, I figured Nederland called that time out to ice our kicker. It was us that called it.  I'm still don't understand why.  Was thinking we was going for the 4th and 5.  Oh well, Can't argue with the win.  

On a side note, the field conditions were fine.  Didn't appear too muddy.  Thank you, Nederland fans for the congradulations on this post.  

Congrats Jags and Soulja--i am sure you will sleep well tonight.  Looking forward to the HEADLINES tomorrow.  We'll see.  :D

Congrats Soul Man, yoou guys are making me look smart! Keep rolling!!!

Congrats Soul Man, yoou guys are making me look smart! Keep rolling!!!

same here...

Congrats Jags and Soulja--i am sure you will sleep well tonight.  Looking forward to the HEADLINES tomorrow.  We'll see.   :D

It might be on the front page since it was Nederland we were playing.    The Suprise will probably not know our player's name or something like that.

Game ball - Mike Richards

Mike Richard 3 comp. 7 att. 42.86 comp. % 78 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Also had a team high in rushing yards at 82 yards!

Surely we had alot of rushers fair well tonight. From the sound of it we controlled the clock. Did we?

We bled that bad baby (the clock)  dry! All night.

Central ball control defeats ‘Dogs

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

BEAUMONT — By midway in Friday night’s second quarter, coordinator Monte Barrow and his Nederland offense should have hopped in the bus and headed to Tinseltown.

Thirty more minutes of football remained at Babe Zaharias Stadium and Nederland led 10-7 but Beaumont Central basically hogged the ball for the rest of the night.

The larger, faster Jaguars installed the Wishbone offense five days earlier and proceeded to whip the Bulldogs with smash-mouth football right out of the sixties, and an in-your-face defense that earned a 20-10 homecoming night victory over the former undisputed 20-4A leaders.

Nederland (3-2 and 3-1) retreated into a four-way tie for its league lead with Central, Livingston and Lumberton. The Bulldogs get to confront an even larger-sized opponent next week on Bulldog Stadium homecoming night when mammoth Livingston comes to town.

“It’s going to be an interesting race,†Nederland head coach Larry Neumann acknowledged after the post-game handshakes. “Central did a better job of executing than we did. They controlled the clock. Give them credit. We’ve got to keep improving. We’re going to see some of this after tonight each week.â€

Central (4-2 and 2-1) primarily had operated from a double-wing backfield before this week. To better utilize its size in the line and depth at running back, the Jaguars’ coaches — led by head coach Donald Stowers and offensive chief Todd Watters — plugged in the 40-year-old alignment which helped the Texas Longhorns win back-to-back national titles in 1969 and 1970.

Even though top runner Charles Thomas hurt his left knee on Central’s first offensive play, the burly Jaguars’ blockers knew exactly what Stowers had up his maroon sleeve. Central rushed 49 times for 247 yards, virtually doubling Nederland’s possession time — 31:54 to 16:06.

“We put it in Monday, and the kids really responded,†Stowers said.

Central may own as fine a pair of offensive guards as there is in the Golden Triangle in Parnell Wells and Jordan Henry. The Jaguars offensive line and the Wishbone caused Delbert Spell’s Nederland defense to deploy a goal-line defense quite often. The Dogs desperately had to do something to cope with Central’s physical style.

“It was fun,†said halfback David Mayfield who rushed for 77 yards. “We had the right people in the right spots. It was smash-mouth football and we wanted it most. We started fiddling with on Monday and it was looking real good all the way through Thursday night.â€

Mayfield accounted for 21 of Central’s 68 yards on the game’s first scoring drive. Quarterback Mike Richard added 18 yards and Nijel Daw powered behind his left side for an eight-yard touchdown run with 3:34 left in the opening quarter.

Nederland answered with two straight fruitful possessions, owning a 10-7 edge with 6:33 left in the half. Central practically refused to permit Barrow’s fine, high-powered offense on the field after that.

Two huge third-quarter plays helped Central to gain the upper hand. Richard escaped Dogs defender Anthony Maddox in the backfield and dashed 25 yards to the Ned 11 on a third-and-10 improvisation. That mad scramble set up Juan Cardenas for a 34-yard field goal and a 17-10 Central advantage with 5:40 left in the third quarter.

That juncture spelled time for Nederland to retaliate. A tenacious defense turned Bellow away, smacking the NHS passer for a three-yard loss at midfield. When Nederland had to punt it away on fourth-and-9, the Jaguars inaugurated almost a six-minute series, moving from their 6 to the NHS 15. It culminated with a 32-yard field goal by Cardenas with 9:07 to play.

“Instead of giving them any short quick passes, we wanted to take those away and make them try to throw deep,†Stowers said. “We had (Jaguars cornerback) Jeffrey (Thomas) on Asa (Cardenas) and Jeffrey runs a 10.5 (100 meters) so we felt we could run with them.â€

Cardenas led Nederland’s receivers with four catches for 37 yards but Central prevented any of Asa’s pass reception plays from gaining more than 25 yards. The Bulldogs relied largely on the powerful dashes of the game’s leading rusher Wareall Grogan (21 for 129) to produce their early points.

Grogan ran for 42 of Nederland’s yards, leading up to Taylor Trahan’s 29-yard field goal in the opening minute of the second quarter. Grogan slided through a hole in Central’s stack defense for a 16-yard scoring run at the 6:33 mark.

From then, the Nederland offensive platoon would have been better off at Tinseltown. Nederland retained possession for one play with three minutes left in the half. Bellow completed a pass to Ryan Brady but Central’s Robert Williams claimed a free ball at the end of the play on Nederland’s 45.

Four plays later, the Dogs had no choice but to resort to single coverage with the Jaguars aligned in a full-house backfield. Richard dropped back on first down and lobbed a 30-yard scoring pass to elusive wide-out Deajon Mitchell for a 14-10 lead with 1:02 left in the half. The determined Jags were not about to relinquish the upper hand after that.

“We still have a good team, we just need to get better,†Neumann analyzed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder