Multi-Sport Athletes

This probably should be posted in the baseball section of the website, but I'll throw it here since some are having spring football workouts.  What is everyone's opinion on multi-sport athletes getting hurt... Example:  Its baseball season and a kid who plays baseball and football gets hurt during spring football practice.  Who is at fault?  Baseball coach, football coach, kid, parent/s??

4 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

This probably should be posted in the baseball section of the website, but I'll throw it here since some are having spring football workouts.  What is everyone's opinion on multi-sport athletes getting hurt... Example:  Its baseball season and a kid who plays baseball and football gets hurt during spring football practice.  Who is at fault?  Baseball coach, football coach, kid, parent/s??

No one to blame, things happen.

Participate in everything! Don't live in fear of injury...if you are playing with that mindset you probably aren't going to be very successful in the first place. Elite athletes play multiple sports a lot of times at the same time. Unless you are making a living and putting food on the table with your abilities then you have no excuse to not be doing everything.

29 minutes ago, Dawg22 said:

Participate in everything! Don't live in fear of injury...if you are playing with that mindset you probably aren't going to be very successful in the first place. Elite athletes play multiple sports a lot of times at the same time. Unless you are making a living and putting food on the table with your abilities then you have no excuse to not be doing everything.

@navydawg31 @Dawg22 My thoughts exactly!!  This is in reference to a post made on social media about a baseball player getting hurt during spring football practice. 

If you know what I am talking about then you must know the kid that got hurt was more than likely a pride possession of the social media poster.  

when kids play multiple sports in high school they should be allowed to focus on one sport at a time.  There's no reason a baseball player who's about to go to the playoffs should get hurt running football drills in April.  Imagine if this had been reversed and a star football player shattered his wrist taking mandated varsity batting practice in September.  

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

when kids play multiple sports in high school they should be allowed to focus on one sport at a time.  There's no reason a baseball player who's about to go to the playoffs should get hurt running football drills in April.  Imagine if this had been reversed and a star football player shattered his wrist taking mandated varsity batting practice in September.  

I see it from both ends of the spectrum.  I don't think the coach/es should take the brunt of the blame. 

12 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

So what's your thoughts on in season lifting?

Back in the day (mid 90s) tons of kids (myself included) would go to athletic class (football) where we maxed out, ran, etc. then our parents would drive a few of us to a track meet.  After our events we would sprint to the car and head to our baseball game or play a baseball game, sprint to the car to make our track event/s.  

If we would have pulled a muscle, got hit by a ball, whatever happened we chalked it up to an accident, things happen and we on about our business. 

49 minutes ago, Dawg22 said:

So what's your thoughts on in season lifting?

It better be mild.  It's necessary during football season, but you shouldn't have other sport athletes going crazy on the weights in the middle of their other seasons.  There's plenty of off season.

58 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

I see it from both ends of the spectrum.  I don't think the coach/es should take the brunt of the blame. 

Kinda depends for me.  Did coach mandate it?  Tell the player he better show up?  Or did the player want/choose to be there?

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

It better be mild.  It's necessary during football season, but you shouldn't have other sport athletes going crazy on the weights in the middle of their other seasons.  There's plenty of off season.

I can't tell you how many kids I see every evening in the gym lifting weights (going heavy) after getting out of baseball practice.  Most if not all play football as well.  I also know for a fact these kids are working out during athletic period, then going to practice or a game.  Who do you blame then....kids, parents?  Not the coaches. 

Sign of today's times...we have to have someone or something to blame for anything that goes wrong...sometimes things just happen and it isn't anyone's fault...I promise you that kids do far dumber and worse things on their own time that can cause injury...Heck, you can get hurt walking across the street...whose fault is that?

As for lifting, how exactly do you plan to get stronger if you DONT lift all year long?  I have never seen anyone gain significant strength taking months at a time off from the weight room

51 minutes ago, outanup said:

Little Johnny that plays baseball all year can get hurt too...Tommy John is a thing. Bball is  played alot once the school season is over. Who gets the BLAME for all those injuries? NOBODY, stuff happens......Certainly can't blame a HC/AD who is trying to better his program.....

I get all of the arguments, but part of being the AD is doing what’s best for all of your programs, not just football.  And it’s not best for the baseball program for one of its best players to be hurt doing football drills right before the baseball playoffs.  There are things he can be doing to get ready for football that don’t risk injury.   And I also stand by the opinion that the football coach would not be happy at all if the kid got hurt in the middle of football season at a fall practice for varsity baseball. In fact I’d bet a whole lot of money that that player wouldn’t be allowed to participate in that baseball practice to begin with.  I think a lot of the people that are okay with this would also be upset if the situation and sports were reversed, because they’re only really worried about football.  But that’s just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I get all of the arguments, but part of being the AD is doing what’s best for all of your programs, not just football.  And it’s not best for the baseball program for one of its best players to be hurt doing football drills right before the baseball playoffs.  There are things he can be doing to get ready for football that don’t risk injury.   And I also stand by the opinion that the football coach would not be happy at all if the kid got hurt in the middle of football season at a fall practice for varsity baseball. In fact I’d bet a whole lot of money that that player wouldn’t be allowed to participate in that baseball practice to begin with.  I think a lot of the people that are okay with this would also be upset if the situation and sports were reversed, because they’re only really worried about football.  But that’s just my opinion. 

The AD's job is to win in football. Everything else is window dressing. If the football team is winning the rest can go up in smoke. 

12 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

The AD's job is to win in football. Everything else is window dressing. If the football team is winning the rest can go up in smoke. 

How many schools baseball coach is also a football coach?  I've been to many high school sporting events besides football and the AD is never to be seen, but on Friday nights.... he or she is front and center.

19 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

@navydawg31 @Dawg22 My thoughts exactly!!  This is in reference to a post made on social media about a baseball player getting hurt during spring football practice. 

If you know what I am talking about then you must know the kid that got hurt was more than likely a pride possession of the social media poster.  

I know the kid and the parents very well. Just for context the parents haven't placed any blame on anyone. Injuries happen. I think the angst from the original facebook post comes from how the injury happened and the timing with baseball playoffs starting next week. It isn't about being a "pride possession" of the poster and just the frustration it happened. 

1 hour ago, aki1994 said:

I know the kid and the parents very well. Just for context the parents haven't placed any blame on anyone. Injuries happen. I think the angst from the original facebook post comes from how the injury happened and the timing with baseball playoffs starting next week. It isn't about being a "pride possession" of the poster and just the frustration it happened. 

There is no one to blame.  Injuries do happen and like most high school athletes, they want to be with their teammates.  No matter what season it is.  So said media poster should not have taken to FB to start telling coaches to do better.  If he can do better, there are programs that need coaches.