4A State Semifinals #6 Silsbee vs #3 Canyon Randall Predictions

Just now, BADSANTA said:

I like Silsbee to win 85-77 to advance to the Championship Game. 

These teams do have a common opponent in Hamshire-Fannett. Canyon beat them by 21 and Silsbee by 15 on a terrible shooting night by the Tigers. 

Silsbee played Randall in the TABC Classic this summer.

Silsbee beat Randall by 8 and that was with basically the whole team driving up from 7 on 7 state tournament and playing them that evening. Miller, Bottley, Elam, Johnson and others just played 2 days of 7 on 7.

I see Silsbee winning this one by 10

13 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Silsbee beat Randall by 8 and that was with basically the whole team driving up from 7 on 7 state tournament and playing them that evening. Miller, Bottley, Elam, Johnson and others just played 2 days of 7 on 7.

I agree I believe that Washington is better than this Randall team. With that being said they are still a very good team and we will need to play like we have been and we will advance!  Tigers by 13

I was glad to see Johnson on the floor along with Shoulders to give us some depth. After we get thru moving around today, im.going to look at some Canyon Randle highlights and games. I remember them losing to FF last year in state. 

Having watched Randall's games against Krum and Canyon I would rate them about the same as Washington.  The Eagles, who we beat by 9, don't have anybody quite like Randall's scorer K.J. Thomas and the Raiders don't have anybody at all like McDermott.  Thomas is a great scorer and good defender.  McDermott was all over the place basically affecting most possessions on both ends.  I think they equal out with the supporting casts about equivalent.  

So all things being equal it should be about a 9 or 10 point Tiger win.   And I'm not counting on the Tigers shooting better from the line.  I expect it will be about the same.

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I’ve got Silsbee winning, but  the the TABC stuff this summer means absolutely nothing. So much changed from then to now. 

1 hour ago, Eagles12 said:

I’ve got Silsbee winning, but  the the TABC stuff this summer means absolutely nothing. So much changed from then to now. 

The common opponent doesn't mean much either.  I can't imagine that Hamshire Fannett was as motivated in a tournament game in December as they were against a rival and facing elimination.  Also had the Tigers played the Horns with the same intensity they displayed this weekend they'd have scorched HF by 30.  

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

The guard from Canyon Randall,  KJ Thomas reminds me some of the kid from Brazosport a few years ago. Legitimate scorer! 

Some but I hope not too much.  That kid was amazing in that game.  He was practically unstoppable.  I think he scored around 40 points.  Everything he threw up went in.  

Another reason that team was so good was Hunter Quick, their 6-8 post.  He and his brother Tanner transferred to Brazosport from Brazoswood when he saw that Bport was putting together a good 4A team.  Brazosport led for much of that game I believe.  Getting Quick in foul trouble was probably the difference.  That Tiger team was very good at getting key big men in foul trouble.  Did the same thing to Yates.  

8 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Some but I hope not too much.  That kid was amazing in that game.  He was practically unstoppable.  I think he scored around 40 points.  Everything he threw up went in.  

Another reason that team was so good was Hunter Quick, their 6-8 post.  He and his brother Tanner transferred to Brazosport from Brazoswood when he saw that Bport was putting together a good 4A team.  Brazosport led for much of that game I believe.  Getting Quick in foul trouble was probably the difference.  That Tiger team was very good at getting key big men in foul trouble.  Did the same thing to Yates.  

They led i think at the half then Silsbee went on like a 15-2 run and never looked back. 

2 minutes ago, Who That said:

Devon McCain holds the state scoring record with 39 points beaten Shaquille O'Neal record of 38.. Silsbee is also the first team in a State Championship to break a 100...🫠🐅🏀

39 is not the record.

Don Stanley and Ira Terrell scored 51.

Silsbee is the 2nd team to do it in championship game. 1st to do it in 4A.

41 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Canyon is 34-3 but I have looked thru there schedule and I dont think they've played a team like Silsbee or even near the quality of opponents. They did play Eastern Hills within 3pts 61-58. 

I just thought looking at the schedule that an outsider looking at the SA schedule would think the two teams who will likely lose are the favorites, since FF and Silsbee have the worst records.  Just goes to show you for elite teams, playing those tough non-district schedules are crucial.  Especially for Silsbee who has a difficult time getting any kind of test in district.  Honestly think the two teams FF and Silsbee beat in the regional finals may be the third and fourth best teams in 4A. 

20 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I just thought looking at the schedule that an outsider looking at the SA schedule would think the two teams who will likely lose are the favorites, since FF and Silsbee have the worst records.  Just goes to show you for elite teams, playing those tough non-district schedules are crucial.  Especially for Silsbee who has a difficult time getting any kind of test in district.  Honestly think the two teams FF and Silsbee beat in the regional finals may be the third and fourth best teams in 4A. 

I agree.

Washington and Carter are better than Randall and Stafford.