Scott Rich named as new Nederland HC/AD

19 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I believe he was the special teams coach 

“Coach Joseph is entering his 14th year of coaching with experience at several top programs in the state including Katy High School, Katy Seven Lakes High School, 4 seasons as defensive coordinator at Austin Westlake, defensive assistant at Texas A&M University for 3 seasons, defensive coordinator at Magnolia West and special teams coordinator and defensive assistant at Southlake Carroll.  He has coached in 3 state championship games and 3 NCAA bowl games.”

He left coaching to do sales for a bit, then came back as special teams coordinator and defensive assistant at SLC 

This is the hidden content, please

2 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

So what is your opinion of the new hire?

Really don't have one. Just don't know much about him other than what was printed in the article.

I was a little surprised he was as old as he is. Thought NISD would go with a younger coach but that may not mean anything.

I haven't seen the applicant list so really cannot say who was the best choice.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Really don't have one. Just don't know much about him other than what was printed in the article.

I was a little surprised he was as old as he is. Thought NISD would go with a younger coach but that may not mean anything.

I haven't seen the applicant list so really cannot say who was the best choice.

If he is in his early 50s he should be good for at least 10-12 years.  I think Neumann was around the same age when he was hired.

3 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Is it common for non coordinators to get AD jobs at decent sized schools?

Looking back and playing off memory:  Under Ethridge, Butch Troy was the o-line coach.  Now, under K. Watson was he a coordinator?  S. Derouren, under R. Thompson, Thompson called the plays.  Not sure if he was ever a coordinator.  He did go back to TJ after Nederland but M. Owens called the plays.  Now, lets looks at Neumann:  He coached at TJ and was the secondary coach.  Did he ever coordinate there?  Well, come to think about it, I can ask someone that was on staff at the time.  Now, a year or two before he got the Nederland job, he went to, I beleive, Pasadena.  Or somewhere in that direction.  Was he a coordinator there?  Not sure about that last part.  Bridge City hired the receivers coach from Westlake.  Which on the surface wasn't a bad idea.  I'm sure there's more that I can't think of at this time.

54 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

If he is in his early 50s he should be good for at least 10-12 years.  I think Neumann was around the same age when he was hired.

Neumann was around 42 yrs old when he was hired to be Nederland AD|Head football coach 

12 minutes ago, outanup said:

Actually Owen’s was a DC under RT…. Steve was the OC….  Newman applied for the HC job at TJ when Owen’s left. Marler got the job….I believe Neuman was DC for Owen’s…. Slept since then.

Good info. sir. Owens left TJ after '95 season, which would have been after Neumanns 3rd year as Nederland AD\Head Coach. Not sure Neumann applied for TJ head job, but if i remember correctly the job was Marlers unless he turned it down.

Hopefully he will hire a very good staff and start getting the Bulldogs back to n track. I know when I visited with Neumann shortly after he got the job, he was extremely excited on how hard the kids worked. Is course Neumann had some very good assistants like Spell and Pate 

Hire good people, sell the program and the players will work

Best wishes to the new staff

1 hour ago, KF89 said:

Good info. sir. Owens left TJ after '95 season, which would have been after Neumanns 3rd year as Nederland AD\Head Coach. Not sure Neumann applied for TJ head job, but if i remember correctly the job was Marlers unless he turned it down.

I thought Owens left TJ after the 97 season?? I think his last win at TJ was at home versus North Shore. 

Hope the new hire works out for Ned though. 😎 

EDIT: My bad, he did takeover in Tyler starting the 96 season. 

Edited by Mr. Buddy Garrity
Found an old article from up North that mentioned when Owens left TJ.

1 hour ago, outanup said:

Actually Owen’s was a DC under RT…. Steve was the OC….  Newman applied for the HC job at TJ when Owen’s left. Marler got the job….I believe Neuman was DC for Owen’s…. Slept since then.

You are some-what correct and some-what not.  Owens was RT's DC.  I can say with 100% certitude that RT called the plays both at Vidor and at TJ when Derouen was there.  Neumann was HC at Nederland when Owens left in '95.  Doesn't mean he didn't apply.  Not sure.  Larry Walker got the TJ job when Owens left.  Then Marler got it.  It is my understanding that Owens gave Neumann his first high school job.  I do know he was the secondary coach.  I believe, for the first 7 years, Jay Law was TJ's DC.  Law left for Vidor in 1989.  I also know that Neumann was in the Houston area for 1 or 2 years before he got Ned's HC job.  So, that would leave 2 or three years at TJ after Law left.  Was he the DC during that time?  No sure.  But, again, for historical accuracy, I'll try and find out.