Huntsville vs PNG - 5aD2 Regional Final

Rez Ipsa

Huntsville vs PNG - 5aD2 Region 3 Final   

116 members have voted

1. 1. Huntsville or PNG?

17 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

If Coach McCrary was smart he would pull up the tape when they played Liberty Hill and implement it... the constant running plays in between the tackles didn't work vs Lake Creek and won't work vs. Huntsville...you have big tall receivers use them

Considering we have won 8 playoff games in less than 2 years, I would say Coach McCrary has done exactly what needs to be done on a weekly basis.

20 minutes ago, TurboMan said:

Considering we have won 8 playoff games in less than 2 years, I would say Coach McCrary has done exactly what needs to be done on a weekly basis.

Clock control is the cornerstone of the Joseph-era PN-G offense. Running on every first down is a big part of that. And it’s especially emphasized in the second half if we get up big on the other team, as we were at halftime against Lake Creek.

I’d say it’s working pretty well for us.

39 minutes ago, TurboMan said:

No HE did not win 8 playoff games in less than two years PN-G has won 8 playoff games in less two years...watch the 2nd half of last week's game and tell me if you think the offense worked...all I'm saying is mix it up a bit PN-G would be hard to beat if they did

2 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

No HE did not win 8 playoff games in less than two years PN-G has won 8 playoff games in less two years...watch the 2nd half of last week's game and tell me if you think the offense worked... I'm saying is mix it up a bit PN-G would be hard to beat if they did

Looks like they're already hard to beat! They're in the fourth round, again and looking to get to AT&T, again! I'd say whatever they're doing is working! 

I think its funny how "us" keyboard Joe's analyze a HS game where kids are performing at a fairly high level, but kids nevertheless, but then when criticize a coaching staff about how the kids executed -- like oh they should have done this, or that or I never would have done that in that situation, etc.  Same team mind you is 4 rounds deep and on the way to Jerry's world, but we're on here talking about where they made mistakes or not. 

I just like to poke a little fun.  

I have seen 58 seasons of PNG Football.  Coaches are not perfect.  Everyone has opinions on what "could have been" done better.  We are winning.  We are getting the job done on both sides of the ball.  That is all a fan can ask for in Indian Football life.  As my Dad would say "...opinions are like armpits, everybody has a couple & most of them stink!!!."🤪

3 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

No HE did not win 8 playoff games in less than two years PN-G has won 8 playoff games in less two years...watch the 2nd half of last week's game and tell me if you think the offense worked...all I'm saying is mix it up a bit PN-G would be hard to beat if they did

I share the concern. Not that we’re not hard to beat - PNg’s been pretty dang hard to beat. But, I share the concern that we’ll come up against a team we can’t move the ball running against, and won’t make adjustments. Which is exactly what happened against SOC last season. SOC adjusted in the second half. PNG didn’t .  

10 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I share the concern. Not that we’re not hard to beat - PNg’s been pretty dang hard to beat. But, I share the concern that we’ll come up against a team we can’t move the ball running against, and won’t make adjustments. Which is exactly what happened against SOC last season. SOC adjusted in the second half. PNG didn’t .  

Yeah, with the end diving down and catching the running back from behind, we didn't adjust well with that. I have seen teams learn for SOC against us and try that this year, the QB option does well against that. Shea does it well, I wonder if Conner can run it?

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I don't know  its hard to adjust to SOC giant WR'S running over PNG small secondary last year, hopefully PNG has beefed up in the secondary. PNG  great team with a great coach! 

1 hour ago, jayhawk said:

I don't know  its hard to adjust to SOC giant WR'S running over PNG small secondary last year, hopefully PNG has beefed up in the secondary. PNG  great team with a great coach! 

PN-G did everything it needed to do to stifle the SOC offense in the first half. SOC changed the gameplan in the second half and started throwing the ball around a lot more.  Remember, up to that point in the season, SOC fielded a rush-heavy offense that hadn't been forced into the passing game very often. Any time PN-G tried to adjust to SOC's newfound passing game, SOC would go right back to running the ball. It was good coaching by SOC to keep the PN-G defense off balance and it worked.

With the amount of talent SOC brought to the table, every coach in the state would be hard-pressed to find a way to make fourth quarter adjustments for that move.

1 hour ago, jayhawk said:

We didn’t necessarily need to adjust on defense. We needed to keep drives going so that SOC would run out of time for a comeback. When they moved a guy over on the d line, they largely took away the run and we started having quick three and outs. They basically said, “We’ll stack up on the line and force PNG to win through the air against our D1 secondary.” PNG couldn’t throw a fast enough ball on a good day against that secondary, our receivers weren’t quick enough to get open, and the qb was under pressure, so we weren’t going to keep drives open by throwing out of the pocket OR by running in the second half. The only thing I think might have worked would have been to take a Crippen out and put Shae in at QB - Shae could roll out, show pass, and run for a quick four out five yards. And, he might have been able to get a few passes completed as the secondary bit on the qb run. We could have chewed up a couple more yards a run and extended more drives, and just slowed them down a lot. We basically did that offense after crippen got hurt anyway, and Shae got some good runs at the end (and completed a few passes to set up a score) - I think if we had implemented that earlier, they would have had to adjust to the outside, possibly giving us back the inside run lanes. In other words, we could have adjusted to their adjustment and kept them guessing more.