TABC Preseason Polls?

BBfan061

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

Are these out yet? Saw someone share a brief glimpse on Facebook of a poll but only had where Kountze and a few 3A teams were ranked.

Not yet. HoopInsider posted a mock ranking that was sent to them by a member but it's not the official rankings. That doesn't come out until late October.

1 hour ago, 72 Pinto said:

I'll bite on a local top 10:

1.  West Brook

2.  United

3.  PA Memorial

4.  Nederland 

5.  HF

6.  Bridge City

7.  Lumberton 

8.  East Chambers 

9.  PNG

10.  Kountze ***if Beaumont kid is cleared.

What kind of clown forgets Silsbee?  If everyone plays, I have them at 1.  If Miller doesn't, they are 3.

14 minutes ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

Can anyone confirm this? We had 2 guys from BISD not get cleared last year. I find this a little unfair. 

Who told me this is definitely in the know I’ll just say that… The kid is also currently playing football for Kountze. He also has been in Kountze since last year 

On 10/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

West Brook over Silsbee and BU are laughable at best.  But go right ahead.  

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if a certain South Jefferson County school goes at least 2-1 versus those 3 minus playing in a tournament. 

57 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

HJ graduated some seniors, but they went 30-6 last year, have key pieces returning, and always reload.  Just like the last several years, they'll be a fair step behind Silsbee, PAM, and BU, but to see two people make top-10 lists and neither put them on there is laughable.  

As long as Clay is there, they are going to be at that level.  I’ve said it many times but in a region that has wayyyyy more than its fair share of great (hall of fame caliber) coaches, Davis is consistently the most underrated imo.  Not sure why that is - great guy who just continues to win. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

HJ graduated some seniors, but they went 30-6 last year, have key pieces returning, and always reload.  Just like the last several years, they'll be a fair step behind Silsbee, PAM, and BU, but to see two people make top-10 lists and neither put them on there is laughable.  

I'm being told one of the biggest pieces will not be playing basketball this year.

20 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm being told one of the biggest pieces will not be playing basketball this year.

regardless of who that is, it will be a blow.  but that being said, there are always plenty of decent players floating through the halls there, and always the possibility of a move in here or there.  a down year for them may mean they're not a top-25 team in the state, but it doesn't take all that much to be a top-10 team in the area.  what's a down year for them?  22-11?  19-10?  I'm willing to bet that's better than several squads listed by the two folks above.

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

regardless of who that is, it will be a blow.  but that being said, there are always plenty of decent players floating through the halls there, and always the possibility of a move in here or there.  a down year for them may mean they're not a top-25 team in the state, but it doesn't take all that much to be a top-10 team in the area.  what's a down year for them?  22-11?  I'm willing to bet that's better than several squads listed by the two folks above.

Oh I definitely would have them in top 10 of the immediate area (maybe not necessarily our coverage area).

I will not be surprised if this particular piece decides to play.

As far as I am concerned, when posting rankings on this site, it should include all our coverage area teams, and not just a select area of our coverage.

These rankings posted above is basically a ranking within a ranking.

There are several teams I would have in before some of those teams listed if it were a coverage area ranking.

15 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

As far as I am concerned, when posting rankings on this site, it should include all our coverage area teams, and not just a select area of our coverage.

These rankings posted above is basically a ranking within a ranking.

There are several teams I would have in before some of those teams listed if it were a coverage area ranking.

I liked the big school and small school rankings we used to do.  6A/5A has a totally different feel to it than 4A and lower.  You also have to start making some weird decisions when comparing 2A to 6A in the same poll.  A state-ranked 2A school is going to get boat raced by a mediocre 6A school.  How do you factor in their skill level vs. like-sized schools, versus what they would do in a literal head to head matchup with a team in the same poll that is 4 divisions higher?

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I liked the big school and small school rankings we used to do.  6A/5A has a totally different feel to it than 4A and lower.  You also have to start making some weird decisions when comparing 2A to 6A in the same poll.  A state-ranked 2A school is going to get boat raced by a mediocre 6A school.  How do you factor in their skill level vs. like-sized schools, versus what they would do in a literal head to head matchup with a team in the same poll that is 4 divisions higher?

The rankings had to be split for them to be anywhere accurate.

I think doing it 6A/5A/4A and then 3A/2A/1A/Private was the only way to do it fairly.

Kind of miss those days. (and before you ask, NO)