2023 Dallas Cowboys

OK, this is my take.  And as always, if at any point I am factually wrong let me know.  What some may or may not know, is that before EVERY game, coaches bring in all officials and draw the trick plays on the board for them:  Which INCLUDES personnel.  This happens so there are no surprises for the officials.  Now, #70 had been reporting as eligible twice, I think it was, in the game.  But NOT this time.  This was part of the trick.  The REf turned to the Cowboy's defense BEFORE #70 got to the Ref.  Anyway, #70 lined up at right tackle and eventually was covered up by a tight end.  Before this, the Lions QB, as seen on video, motions #68 to go report to the Ref.  #68 gets within a couple of feet of the Ref and reports.  On video, you can see the Ref looking squarely at #68.  Then after #68 reports, the Ref turns and goes reports to the Cowboy's defense that an eligible player has entered.  Now, what did the Ref actually tell the Cowboys?  Don't know.  But #70 never got anywhere near the Ref because his part for entering was for optics.  But -- let's revert back to my first point:  Before the game the refs were told exactly what was going tot take place.  No official should have been surprised.  I did hear that the Ref was being punished and that his crew is banned from any playoff games.  Don't know if this is actual because of this next statement.  It's being reported Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk that the NFL is covering for Allen (The Ref) and pointing the finger at the Lions.  From Pro Football Talk: "The league views the situation as an effort by the Lions to engage in deception and gamesmanship that backfired."  Looks like the NFL is covering their backsides.  Because -- how can it be deception when the Lions told, and drew up on a board, exactly what they were going to do.  BTW, unless I missed it somewhere else, I noticed in the NFL statement that the NFL didn't happened to mention the pregame coach/officials meeting!  

So, what happened?  2 possibilities:  Because it was Jimmy Johnson day, the outcome was rigged.  Or -- the Ref just screwed up.  I personally think he screwed up.  Remember, these are part time officials.  And, they are human!  

11 hours ago, BEARCPA said:

Yeah on replays I've seen the ref turned his mic on and clearly announced that 70 was the reporting eligible receiver. Just a bad goof on the ref's part. Lions made it possible though by having 2 linemen already close to the ref with another running towards him. 

Do you know that the referees goofed though?

Do we know what was said?

Why did three linemen go up to the ref at the same time?

Last but not least, even if the ref made a mistake, it was announced. Why didn’t the Lions stop the play because of something that the ref said that several million people heard?

Was that the Lion’s intent, to try and slip one over on the refs? Why have three interior linemen in the ref’s face at the same time?

I think the lions tried to get away with one and got caught. they got a little too cute.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Do you know that the referees goofed though?

Do we know what was said?

Why did three linemen go up to the ref at the same time?

Last but not least, even if the ref made a mistake, it was announced. Why didn’t the Lions stop the play because of something that the ref said that several million people heard?

Was that the Lion’s intent, to try and slip one over on the refs? Why have three interior linemen in the ref’s face at the same time?

I think the lions tried to get away with one and got caught. they got a little too cute.

I’m a Cowboys fan and I think it’s pretty safe to say that the ref goofed. That ref and his crew have been clueless all season. Call me naive but I believe the Lions players and coaches when they say that 68 reported, and that 70 was running towards the ref as a decoy tactic. None of the mess happens if the Lions don’t try those shenanigans, and they shouldn’t rely on the refs remembering what they went over with them pregame.

I was very curious about your 4th point after the game (trying to stop the play when you hear the wrong player announced as eligible). NFL guys said trying to get the refs to correct that before the snap would have just resulted in a delay of game since the Lions didn’t have any timeouts. 

4 hours ago, BEARCPA said:

I’m a Cowboys fan and I think it’s pretty safe to say that the ref goofed. That ref and his crew have been clueless all season. Call me naive but I believe the Lions players and coaches when they say that 68 reported, and that 70 was running towards the ref as a decoy tactic. None of the mess happens if the Lions don’t try those shenanigans, and they shouldn’t rely on the refs remembering what they went over with them pregame.

I was very curious about your 4th point after the game (trying to stop the play when you hear the wrong player announced as eligible). NFL guys said trying to get the refs to correct that before the snap would have just resulted in a delay of game since the Lions didn’t have any timeouts. 

The main point is, even if the ref messed up, the Lions want Dallas to lose the game because of a referee mistake…. which was caught before the next play. 

Just like I brought up about games where the ref blows an inadvertent whistle. It doesn’t matter if the player would have gone 50 more yards for a touchdown and won the game, once the mistake is made by the ref, the play ends.

So after the referee screwed up (assuming it is true), should Dallas forfeit the game which is basically what the Lions want? Dallas was tight that 70 was eligible, but 68  

I understand the desire to punish the ref. That is not the Lions desired outcome, however. They want the illegal play to stand. Even if the referee completely blew it, it was an illegal play.

I don’t buy the complaint that they didn’t have time. I just watched it again and AFTER Dallas was told 70 was eligible, they had to spot the ball and then start the 25 second clock. The ball was snapped with 17 seconds left on the play clock. The no time to report claim is nonsense and fishing for an excuse, whoever made it. Anytime there is a question with what is about to happen, the refs call an officials’ timeout to discuss it amongst themselves. We see it almost every game. In this case, by the time the announcement was made of 70 being eligible, there was about 30 seconds before the snap had to be made. If the Lions couldn’t find a ref in 30 seconds……

I watched again and closer this time. The Lions has at least 37 seconds to report the mistake. 

They went to the huddle AFTER the “mistake” (assuming) was announced for the World to hear, called the play, broke the huddle and walked to the line before the play clock started. Then snapped it at the 17 second mark.😂😂😂

It is kind of funny but a few hours ago I made the comment above about the Lions trying to get a little bit too cute.

The guy in this last video that I found said almost exactly the same thing, the Lions tried to get cute and it came back and bit them. 

On 1/1/2024 at 4:10 PM, baddog said:

Well, well, well…….LMAO

This is the hidden content, please

From the article: 

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL does not plan to change the procedure for players reporting as eligible. The league views the situation as an effort by the Lions to engage in deception and gamesmanship that backfired," 

On 12/31/2023 at 3:46 PM, spidersal said:

The defensive problem is that you rarely see #’s 14 and 33 make a play. They always seem to be misaligned and attack with the wrong shoulder or get get destroyed by OL and the secondary is way too soft. The run defense has been bad mainly due to where are those 2 LB ‘ers I mentioned The defensive front is good. They simply must draft good inside LB’ers

Only team with a better defense than Dallas who also has a better record is the Ravens. You tend to overlook the previous 58 minutes of a game. 

4 hours ago, spidersal said:

I pay attention to the entire game and I am about wins and losses. You also need to remember that the Cowboys have only beaten 2 good teams this season  and their road record is not very good

Well, they can’t please everybody. They could win the superbowl and you’d find something wrong. Last time I checked, 11-5 record in the NFL is considered very good.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. I think their defensive front is good, however I think their inside LB’ers and secondary are weak areas. Hopefully they will do good in the playoffs I am hoping they can get to the championship round vs SF

The main problem I see is an OL that will not allow them to run the ball

On 1/3/2024 at 10:35 PM, spidersal said:

I pay attention to the entire game and I am about wins and losses. You also need to remember that the Cowboys have only beaten 2 good teams this season  and their road record is not very good

Who are the 2 good teams you are referring about 

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Question for you cowboy fans who are bettors. How many points would you give in this game? The line is 14

I been a gambling for a long time and As the old saying goes… bet the double digit division dog… last week took pats against the bills and they covered. This game won’t touch it cause that’s a homer bet for me 

5 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

I been a gambling for a long time and As the old saying goes… bet the double digit division dog… last week took pats against the bills and they covered. This game won’t touch it cause that’s a homer bet for me 

But would you give 10?

I wish that I could get tickets that didn’t cost $2000 each. 😂

The last Dallas Cowboys playoff game that I saw was Roger Staubach’s last game when they lost to the Rams in the divisional round.

Back then they reserved seats for the general public, if you got lucky and got selected in a lottery. My friend that I went with got drawn during the year for a regular season game and we went. Since we were drawn, we were put the drawing for playoff games.

Using that method, I did get to see an NFC championship game with the Cowboys beat the Vikings and went to the Super Bowl.