RIP Bob West

Bob was at the top of his chosen profession. To a lot of extent, he is from a passing era in sports writing. Few sportswriters and editors have had the excellent longevity and following of Bob West. How many people work for a single newspaper for almost 5 decades?

He called ‘em like he saw ‘em. A few times I definitely would not agree on his perspective on an issue or player but the proof of his skill was that I always came back to read what he had to say on his next article. 

He definitely has left a legacy of events that he has been involved with from roasts, to celebrity golf events, to contests and I believe that he was instrumental in creating and bringing the Bum Phillips Trophy to Mid-County Madness which I think was thought up by members of his staff.

I had spoken to West on a couple of occasions, mostly from working security at events. I have known his wife Genie for probably about 40 years from her work as a nurse at St. Mary Hospital and me being a police officer.

The likes of Bob West don’t come along often in a lifetime.

Condolences to his family and friends. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Bob was at the top of his chosen profession. To a lot of extent, he is from a passing era in sports writing. Few sportswriters and editors have had the excellent longevity and following of Bob West. How many people work for a single newspaper for almost 5 decades?

He called ‘em like he saw ‘em. A few times I definitely would not agree on his perspective on an issue or player but the proof of his skill was that I always came back to read what he had to say on his next article. 

He definitely has left a legacy of events that he has been involved with from roasts, to celebrity golf events, to contests and I believe that he was instrumental in creating and bringing the Bum Phillips Trophy to Mid-County Madness which I think was thought up by members of his staff.

I had spoken to West on a couple of occasions, mostly from working security at events. I have known his wife Genie for probably about 40 years from her work as a nurse at St. Mary Hospital and me being a police officer.

The likes of Bob West don’t come along often in a lifetime.

Condolences to his family and friends. 

100% agree with this he called it like he saw it good or bad

• 3 weeks later...