Two a days begins July 31 !!!

lcm93

Here's a text from a 4A D1 head coach in Region III attachment was too big so could not paste the screen shot

"No way. It is not needed anymore. Football has become almost year around. It has taken some of the luster of fall camp away. I loved back in the day, when kids showed up to fall camp like it was Christmas Day. Kids haven't done any football since mid to late May, and fall camp got here was exciting. With the spring, then straight into to summer, we get plenty of ball. We have even tapered back some in the summer with skills. Especially becomes year around when you play til Christmas. You get January thru March to focus on some weaknesses in off season, a little break from ball. Then April hits and you are back doing ball again til Christmas."

This is a text from a 4A D1 head coach in Region II who graduated from Columbia..incredibly smart guy

"I think that most upper level coaches would tell you that they would practice as much as possible, as often as possible. 

It's the 'ole "if your trucks not in the parking lot, someone is out working you." BS.

Given the current 1hr summer guidelines, we don't need two-a-days. 

I would be up for starting a week earlier or lengthening the non contact/non padded parts of preseason. 

Good friends at the college level still see a lack of fundamentals from high school kids. And with 10 days from "Hello" to first scrimmage in August, TXHSFB coaches don't spend enough full team time on fundamentals.

Low Socieoeconomic schools don't get the benefit of summer practices. Most of my kids are working. I won't get them full time til August. 

The rich get richer."

So I was reading through the UIL rules,  The coaches can have 2 hours a day of strength training and 1 hour of football training 5 days a week .   This goes from the first full week of summer until the day before the first day of summer practices.   I am a translating that correctly?

I guess I wasn't up on the newest regs and I understand its voluntary, but  I didn't realize how much time the coaches get over the summer.

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

@Matthew328 it seems like the arguments for it have went away 😂

Not sure why you use the word argument when it's more of an opinion.  I think 2-A-Days are very beneficial and I am a "back in the day guy" but I stay very up to date with what is being done in the summer (conditioning, weightlifting, coaching/practicing). 

23 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Of course some won't agree it serves their interests to have more time...

But it is interesting that even though schools have the option to do 2 practices after Day 5 (and not on consecutive days, the vast majority choose not to do it..

While I nor all coaches agree, I appreciate the research you did. Respect for that. Most people just make statements without backing them up. I guess it’s heavily opinionated on both sides.