Best Player Ever

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Also adding on the way Elam scored his buckets, maybe the opposing team’s coaches should’ve put a defensive game plan in place to stop leak outs and snow birding.  Blame them.  If your team’s player can snowbird and leak out, you’d be a fool not to let him continue to do it.

My guess is they feel the same way I do when I’ve seen it.  Let him and take advantage of his preference to try to score as many points as possible while playing little defense in the half court set and NEVER boxing out.  I’m sure Sutherland and the other coaches like the 5 on 4 concept when they have the ball  

WOS let him do it and still beat the Tigers 2 out of 3 that season.  And their best player outplayed him all 3 times, despite graduating at 17 while his counterpart aged out at 21 before the next fall.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Just cause you can make up an argument doesn’t make it a good one or a legitimate one.  I’m aware UIL signed off on it.  As long as you are in resource classes (what we used to call special ed), you can be close to drinking age and playing high school sports.  For those that aren’t, you better not turn 19 a couple of weeks before Sept. 1.  

No, I chose my words correctly.  ‘Legitimate’ argument.  I never said a good argument.  That’s your words.  But playing devil’s advocate, it based on production compared to the other Silsbee greats.  Same debate with Bosha.

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

My guess is they feel the same way I do when I’ve seen it.  Let him and take advantage of his preference to try to score as many points as possible while playing little defense in the half court set and NEVER boxing out.  I’m sure Sutherland and the other coaches like the 5 on 4 concept when they have the ball  

WOS let him do it and still beat the Tigers 2 out of 3 that season.  And their best player outplayed him all 3 times, despite graduating at 17 while his counterpart aged out at 21 before the next fall.  

That’s what’s it’s about.  Winning the game.  I’m sure those coaches that actually beat that Silsbee team didn’t complain not one time about Elam.  I sure in the heck wouldn’t.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I haven’t gone back and looked in previous post  but was there any  Buna kids mentioned.

I remember a small guard in late 99s early 2000s

I wanna say Michael McMahon….I could be wrong on that

McMahon, Remi/Alex Connell (sorry GMan, just don’t have the team accomplishments)

Tyler Edwards, Kreston Richardson. If not for an off shooting night in Kirbyville and some questionable they were on a fast track to go to state.  

Bryan Whitmire and there’s a couple of guys from those late 90s early 2000s teams to be mentioned.

Those 6 are probably where you start. Although i’m sure some guys from those regional teams in early 2000s will argue.  

Let me add to this so someone doesn’t come and rebuttal about the 50 and 60s. I have no knowledge of those guys. 

22 minutes ago, Tyler Dixson said:

McMahon, Remi/Alex Connell (sorry GMan, just don’t have the team accomplishments)

Tyler Edwards, Kreston Richardson. If not for an off shooting night in Kirbyville and some questionable they were on a fast track to go to state.  

Bryan Whitmire and there’s a couple of guys from those late 90s early 2000s teams to be mentioned.

Those 6 are probably where you start. Although i’m sure some guys from those regional teams in early 2000s will argue.  

Let me add to this so someone doesn’t come and rebuttal about the 50 and 60s. I have no knowledge of those guys. 

Ol cotton

i have his booklet def, offensive, philosophy. 
I have a lot of written basketball material from him.  

13 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I haven’t gone back and looked in previous post  but was there any  Buna kids mentioned.

I remember a small guard in late 99s early 2000s

I wanna say Michael McMahon….I could be wrong on that

Clayton Allen (Class of 90). Played at D1 at Drake. He was the best of the post-King Cotton guys.  Wanna say he led the state in scoring his senior year at Buna too. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Clayton Allen (Class of 90). Played at D1 at Drake. He was the best of the post-King Cotton guys.  Wanna say he led the state in scoring his senior year at Buna too. 

Don’t know how he slipped my mind. He would be on that short list with the 6 I mentioned. From what I heard growing up he was a great player. 

He still looks like he could give you 12 a game on Tuesdays and Fridays too!

17 hours ago, Tyler Dixson said:

I don't know any of the Buna players from the 60's, but they won like six state titles.  I would imagine they had a couple guys better than Kreston Richardson (no disrespect as I've never seen or even heard of him).  Rumor has it the days of Buna as a power are over and coaches are desperately trying to get out of there.

38 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

I don't know any of the Buna players from the 60's, but they won like six state titles.  I would imagine they had a couple guys better than Kreston Richardson (no disrespect as I've never seen or even heard of him).  Rumor has it the days of Buna as a power are over and coaches are desperately trying to get out of there.

Well there was several players in the 50 and 60s that were great. Clayton Allen was 3A player of the year in the early 90s. McMahon was the star of the early 2000’s team that was coached by Jamie Harrison. Kreston Richardson was all state in 2015. 

5 hours ago, 72 Pinto said:

They’ve lost an assistant coach already. 

On 7/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, 5GallonBucket said:

There was a guy in the late 90s

i thought his name was David white….I see you have David Wilson 

maybe I’m wrong on the name

There was so many from Deweyville in the 60s and early 70s played the big tournments against the best competition.Name some where Travis Bickham 64 all state and south all star, Dick Davis 65 and 66 all state 66 south all star, 69 Steve Gibson south all star, 70 James Wilson all state and south all star,71 Bimbo Wilson all state and south all star. If you want to know about Buna basketball in the 50s and 60s coach Jimmy Burke knows the history.

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:41 AM, BBfan061 said:

Than Donahoe? No way …. IMO

Ryan Donahoe was one of the best high school players I ever saw. He was a completely different kind of player than Zjori Bosha but both of them were great, Bosha probably had the edge as a shooter but Donahoe just refused to lose. Jarvis Bernard was also a great player over there.

9 hours ago, whsalum said:

Ryan Donahoe was one of the best high school players I ever saw. He was a completely different kind of player than Zjori Bosha but both of them were great, Bosha probably had the edge as a shooter but Donahoe just refused to lose. Jarvis Bernard was also a great player over there.

all good players but I think it comes down to who you saw play and when you say them.  In the 80s, HJ had Rocky Roquemore.  Could shoot and jump out of the gym.  I was already out of the area for the 2000s HJ teams and just know what i was able to read about them.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:30 AM, 5GallonBucket said:

So who gets to claim j covan pa or Kelly 

kinda like troop. Lcm or hj.

Me and Persia had our battle s from jh thru high school. I loved competing against him.

not gonna lie, i always thought you were like 50-something :)   I played against him a time or two as well before I hung the sneakers up.  I wasn't a bad player, but I wasn't getting any taller.   

19 hours ago, whsalum said:

Daniel Marsh and several of the Reescano's would be in this conversation

Agreed ,  Dusty was a great shooter.  But several others were better.  William House and Hunter Arthur, Johnathan JB Brown.   Chad Koonce,  Kale Rives,  Chris Dumas,  Bracewell brothers,