Justice Clarence Thomas accepted several luxury trips paid for by GOP megadonor, ProPublica report finds

Bobcat1

17 minutes ago, baddog said:

Accused sexual assault and garbage mouth compare? 

Gotta remember that the TDS crowd magnifies Trump's wrongdoings X 1000.

They have managed to vote in a crew of liberal idiots that wrecked the country over nothing but crude rhetoric.

What's worse is that they have openly stated that they'll do it again, even getting the stamp of approval from so-called conservatives for doing so.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Ok, now I have really close friends, but not this close...

GOP megadonor made tuition payments for Thomas' grandnephew, report says 

This is the hidden content, please

Then you must feel that a VP (and somehow now the President of the United States of America) accepting money from China, et. al. shouldn't be sloughed off by the government, legacy media, Left wing Americans, etc. A double standard indeed!

4 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Then you must feel that a VP (and somehow now the President of the United States of America) accepting money from China, et. al. shouldn't be sloughed off by the government, legacy media, Left wing Americans, etc. A double standard indeed!

So since democrats did it, it's ok for this to happen?  Interesting.  

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Didn’t get that at all from his post, I think he’s simply pointing out your interest in Thomas while being uninterested in the corruption that is around the President and his family.

Why would you think I’m uninterested in that? 

I guess, I could say the same about most of the posters on here - you’ve cornered the market on posting negatively about liberals and their idiocy -  but I never see a post condemning anything conservative.

10 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Why would you think I’m uninterested in that? 

I guess, I could say the same about most of the posters on here - you’ve cornered the market on posting negatively about liberals and their idiocy -  but I never see a post condemning anything conservative.

I’m simply correcting your misinterpretation of the post.

Conservatism doesn’t need condemnation, but I have been very critical of Republicans that pose as conservatives, usually because of their spending habits.

Liberal Supreme Court Justice Caught in Scandal!  From the article:  

"In recent weeks, Democrats have ramped up criticism of conservative Supreme Court justices like Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch, alleging corruption and using that as a pretext for congressional oversight of the court.

However, these accusations are baseless and lack legal or ethical standing. Justice Thomas was accused of not reporting free travel expenses received from a friend that he was not even required to report and a minor technical error in income reporting. Justice Gorsuch was accused of selling land to an executive of a law firm that had business before the Supreme Court, but he actually sold the property just after being confirmed, and the buyer had no business before the court at the time.

While these incidents were much ado about nothing, the same Democrats who were calling for DOJ investigations and impeachments will no doubt sing a different tune over the revelation that liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor took $3.6 million from Penguin Random House publishing when the company did have business before the court, and declined to recuse herself."

• 2 months later...

I'm sure out friends on the left that are concerned about SCOTUS behavior were going to post this.

From the article:

Sonia Sotomayor's net worth has increased significantly since joining the nation's highest court, according to financial disclosure forms amid new revelations about the Supreme Court justice's efforts to promote her books.

Sotomayor was nominated by then-President Barack Obama to join the Supreme Court in 2009. At the time, her wealth was a small fraction of what it is now.

In 2007, the sum of Sotomayor's total investments was between $50,001 and $115,000, according to her financial disclosure form for that year. She reported only two assets: a checking account and a savings account, both at Citibank. 

In 2008, Sotomayor's financial disclosures show she had the same two assets, this time totaling $15,001 to $65,000. The following year, during which Sotomayor was both nominated and confirmed to the Supreme Court, she held the same investments for the same range of value.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor promotes her new book "My Beloved World" at Barnes & Noble Union Square on Jan. 20, 2013 in New York City. (Rob Kim/Getty Images)

Since then, Sotomayor's net worth has skyrocketed, putting her among the ranks of the nation's millionaires. In 2021, her investments totaled somewhere between $1.5 million and $6.4 million, according to financial disclosure forms. Last year, investments were roughly the same, in between $1.6 million and $6.6 million.

Sotomayor's yearly salary was about $180,000 as a federal appeals court judge before Obama nominated her, supplemented by about $25,000 a year from teaching at New York-area law schools. That salary went up several thousands of dollars upon becoming a Supreme Court justice.

Currently, members of the high court make $285,400 except for the chief justice, who earns just under $300,000.

One reason for the sharp increase in Sotomayor's investments and overall wealth is the money she's made from writing books. On Tuesday, the Associated Press reported that her staff has often "prodded" public institutions that have hosted the justice to buy her memoir or children's books — works that have made her at least $3.7 million since joining the Supreme Court and continue to rake in six-figure royalty payments annually.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I'm sure out friends on the left that are concerned about SCOTUS behavior were going to post this.

From the article:

Sonia Sotomayor's net worth has increased significantly since joining the nation's highest court, according to financial disclosure forms amid new revelations about the Supreme Court justice's efforts to promote her books.

Sotomayor was nominated by then-President Barack Obama to join the Supreme Court in 2009. At the time, her wealth was a small fraction of what it is now.

In 2007, the sum of Sotomayor's total investments was between $50,001 and $115,000, according to her financial disclosure form for that year. She reported only two assets: a checking account and a savings account, both at Citibank. 

In 2008, Sotomayor's financial disclosures show she had the same two assets, this time totaling $15,001 to $65,000. The following year, during which Sotomayor was both nominated and confirmed to the Supreme Court, she held the same investments for the same range of value.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor promotes her new book "My Beloved World" at Barnes & Noble Union Square on Jan. 20, 2013 in New York City. (Rob Kim/Getty Images)

Since then, Sotomayor's net worth has skyrocketed, putting her among the ranks of the nation's millionaires. In 2021, her investments totaled somewhere between $1.5 million and $6.4 million, according to financial disclosure forms. Last year, investments were roughly the same, in between $1.6 million and $6.6 million.

Sotomayor's yearly salary was about $180,000 as a federal appeals court judge before Obama nominated her, supplemented by about $25,000 a year from teaching at New York-area law schools. That salary went up several thousands of dollars upon becoming a Supreme Court justice.

Currently, members of the high court make $285,400 except for the chief justice, who earns just under $300,000.

One reason for the sharp increase in Sotomayor's investments and overall wealth is the money she's made from writing books. On Tuesday, the Associated Press reported that her staff has often "prodded" public institutions that have hosted the justice to buy her memoir or children's books — works that have made her at least $3.7 million since joining the Supreme Court and continue to rake in six-figure royalty payments annually.

She wrote a book......That's your smoking gun? 

4 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

She wrote a book......That's your smoking gun? 

Didn't read the article, did you?  You would be all over this if it was Thomas.

So I guess it's ok to have her staff, that we pay, to actively promote her book.

On Tuesday, the Associated Press reported that her staff has often "prodded" public institutions that have hosted the justice to buy her memoir or children's books — works that have made her at least $3.7 million since joining the Supreme Court and continue to rake in six-figure royalty payments annually.

So, then you'd agree what Thomas did wasn't ethical? Impeachable? 

I read it....Prodded...They presuded them to buy her book? Okkkkk....

I would need more proof of the "prodding" before I compare it to what Thomas did not disclose. 

I actually have no problem with officals making money from books or speaking engagements - Right, left, center.  I think Bush made $10M on his book deal - Taking very expensive trips with friends, I really don't mind that, as long as your disclse it and also the recuse yourself from the trial that would involve this friend. 

23 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

So, then you'd agree what Thomas did wasn't ethical? Impeachable? 

I read it....Prodded...They presuded them to buy her book? Okkkkk....

I would need more proof of the "prodding" before I compare it to what Thomas did not disclose. 

I actually have no problem with officals making money from books or speaking engagements - Right, left, center.  I think Bush made $10M on his book deal - Taking very expensive trips with friends, I really don't mind that, as long as your disclse it and also the recuse yourself from the trial that would involve this friend. 

And it's ok to use your staff to promote the book?