Bill Russell: Legend

UT alum

Anybody seen this on Netflix?  When he was ten, his family moved from Louisiana to California. There, he was allowed in a library for the first time in his life. He said he was reading a history book, and the book said that blacks were better off as slaves in America than they were living in Africa.  Is that how all you anti-“woke” fanatics think history about race in America should be taught? That would be cool, but talking about the cruelty and lasting social reckoning of that horrendous institution would not?  Or do you just want to ignore it all and pretend it never happened?

5 hours ago, UT alum said:

Anybody seen this on Netflix?  When he was ten, his family moved from Louisiana to California. There, he was allowed in a library for the first time in his life. He said he was reading a history book, and the book said that blacks were better off as slaves in America than they were living in Africa.  Is that how all you anti-“woke” fanatics think history about race in America should be taught? That would be cool, but talking about the cruelty and lasting social reckoning of that horrendous institution would not?  Or do you just want to ignore it all and pretend it never happened?

Everyone one on here agrees slavery was terrible.  Not one person will agree with the 💩you are talking about.  You’re about as pathetic as big girl!!!  

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No, you accusing folks you disagree with of being racist is the garbage.  If your question is should CRT be taught in schools, the answer is no.

So what should be taught? That blacks were better off slaves in America than they were in Africa? That slavery was part of our history but not that big of a deal? That the past has no effect on the present? Maybe just don’t teac history? What?

4 hours ago, baddog said:

Ignoring it and maybe it will go away seems a more viable option than regurgitating it for the guilt trip every other day. 

Yeah, that’s how to solve problems. Ignore them and they go away. It’s not about guilt, it’s about recognizing effects of our past on the situations of the present.

10 minutes ago, UT alum said:

So what should be taught? That blacks were better off slaves in America than they were in Africa? That slavery was part of our history but not that big of a deal? That the past has no effect on the present? Maybe just don’t teac history? What?

Teach exactly what happened like what  has been going on in many schools for decades.  

Pretty simple.

You’re looking ridiculous trying to make your pathetic point.

17 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Do you actually think the same books are used today? Has anyone here suggested any of that?

Those who fail to learn from history...

42 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Pathetic? That make you feel better? Superior, what?  

When you want to lump all anti woke fanatics together, thinking all, but in actuality none here, thinks slaves were better off, that is pathetic.  So, when you think you have everything figured out, your best option would be to quit typing.  You have nothing figured out!

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Do you actually think the same books are used today? Has anyone here suggested any of that?

Those who fail to learn from history...

Exactly. And the right wants to whitewash it. I’m just asking, if you don’t want it talked about in school, what do you want our kids learning?

40 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

When you want to lump all anti woke fanatics together, thinking all, but in actuality none here, thinks slaves were better off, that is pathetic.  So, when you think you have everything figured out, your best option would be to quit typing.  You have nothing figured out!

Man, you guys protest too much, me thinks. Of course I don’t think you believe that, but it was still being put out as history in our lifetimes. The white societal norm, as it were. Housing, lending, and hiring, are still discriminatory, there’s just been 60 years for it to burrow into the market and mask it. I have plenty of my own understanding. You just don’t agree.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Teach exactly what happened like what  has been going on in many schools for decades.  

Pretty simple.

You’re looking ridiculous trying to make your pathetic point.

Which is what? I don’t remember learning much about slavery except it existed and we fought a war over it. I remember nothing about the Indians being taught except that we took over their land, and they helped initially with our agricultural practices and had the first Thanksgiving with us. I wasn’t taught squat about Wounded Knee, or that we laced blankets with smallpox and purposefully slaughtered the Buffalo to extinction (almost) as part of the genocide. We were gay guy t nothing about American History that made it look like white oriole may have made some mistakes. My points aren’t pathetic. Your objectivity is nonexistent.

2 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Which is what? I don’t remember learning much about slavery except it existed and we fought a war over it. I remember nothing about the Indians being taught except that we took over their land, and they helped initially with our agricultural practices and had the first Thanksgiving with us. I wasn’t taught squat about Wounded Knee, or that we laced blankets with smallpox and purposefully slaughtered the Buffalo to extinction (almost) as part of the genocide. We were gay guy t nothing about American History that made it look like white oriole may have made some mistakes. My points aren’t pathetic. Your objectivity is nonexistent.

Not gay guy t. I was tryin to type taught.

6 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Sorry your education sucked, mine was much better, apparently.  

And yes, your points are pathetic.