Big Sandy Harmony (36) vs Newton (22) - FINAL

purpleeagle

I Believe Newton has the best defense in the 8 remaining teams in state. They should shutdown Harmonys offense like they have done all year on Defense. Gunter, Holiday, Dangerfield more than likely has the best offense’s in the state. If Newton can step it up on the offensive side of the ball, and play mistake free football, they can win state. I always say defense wins state championships. Good luck Newton 

Harmony continues surprising postseason run with win in Class 3A Division II Regional Semifinals

By Buck Ringgold-SBLIVE 

Harmony started the season dropping its first four football games.

Now, the Eagles need one more win to make it to the final four in Class 3A Division II.

Behind a stellar performance from junior quarterback Boston Seahorn, Harmony has kept its season going after outlasting West Rusk, 38-35, in the 3A Division II Region III semifinals Friday afternoon at Pine Tree’s Pirate Stadium.

“(Harmony coach Jeremy Jenkins) said, just stick with it,” Seahorn said of the Eagles starting out 0-4. “No one ever did believe we were not going to the playoffs and not make it to the fourth round, but we believed it, mostly due to Coach Jenkins telling us that we should believe.”

The Eagles (8-5) are now moving on to next week’s regional championship game, where they will face Newton, which held off Daingerfield, 16-12, in its regional semifinal on Friday night.

Not a bad position to be in for Jenkins’ first season at the helm of the Eagles. And the play of Seahorn is a big reason why.

Seahorn helped engineer an offense that accumulated 438 yards of total offense and 24 first downs. He was responsible for 355 of that, completing 14-of-19 passes for 188 yards and three touchdowns while adding 167 rushing yards on 33 carries and a TD. “The offense really morphed probably about a month ago; I started running him a lot, and our starting running back got hurt, too, and he’s out, so I started running (Seahorn) a lot and man, we didn’t know he was this tough and he’s powerful, too,” Jenkins said. 

“Once we started running him is when we really took off. He’s just all heart; he never comes off the field on defense, either, and he’s our punter. All heart.”

Seahorn and the Eagles also weren’t fazed after being stopped on fourth down in their own territory early in the second half with a 24-14 lead. That led to West Rusk scoring a TD two plays later, cutting Harmony’s lead to three.

But the Eagles had an answer.

They marched 73 yards in 15 plays, taking 8:25 off the clock, which ended when junior Joe Morris took a jet sweep in from 7 yards out, as Harmony regained a 10-point advantage, 31-21, with 1:55 left in the third.

On that pivotal drive, Seahorn had seven runs and was 3-of-4 passing. The Eagles also completed two fourth downs, the latter a 10-yard keeper by Seahorn down to the Raiders’ 7-yard line. 

“I’m telling you, that’s what we do,” Jenkins said. “We had five total possessions in the whole game last week and we scored a touchdown on every drive when there were 16, 14, 12, 11 (plays).

“That’s what we do; we’re not real fast, and so we’ve got to control the ball, control the clock and use our advantages.”

Harmony then forced a three-and-out, highlighted by a sack from linebacker Braxton Baker. The Eagles got the ball back after a punt and moved 65 yards in six plays, capped by Seahorn’s third TD pass, a 20-yard strike to receiver Tyson Jenkins, extending the lead to 38-21 with 8:41 left. 

“I’m going to be honest; they just trust in me and I just try to make them make sure they always trust me, so I just do whatever the coaches tell me to do,” Seahorn said.

Seahorn had his first TD pass on the Eagles’ opening drive, a 12-yarder to Will Young to tie it at 7-all after West Rusk scored on its initial series. Later in the first quarter, Seahorn took a keeper 59 yards to the house to give Harmony its first lead of the day.

West Rusk (10-3) answered three plays later on a 61-yard TD run from Tate Winings, tying the score at 14-all. But on the second play of the second quarter, Seahorn connected with Jenkins from 30 yards out, putting the Eagles back in front, 21-14.

Harmony then extended it to 10 points, 24-14, on a 24-yard field goal from Tucker Tittle with 3:44 left in the opening half.

Tyson Jenkins caught five passes for 97 yards, and Young hauled in six receptions for 70 yards.

The Eagles also forced the game’s only turnover with less than four minutes to go, a fumble which was recovered by Harmony’s Jake Shannon.

West Rusk senior quarterback Andon Mata completed 15-of-25 passes for 189 yards and four TDs. Two of those went to senior Jimmie Harper, including a 35-yard pass on the game’s final play. 

Mata also hooked up with senior Geremiah Smith from 55 yards out on the game’s fourth play from scrimmage, and a 31-yard TD early in the second half which got West Rusk within three, 24-21.

In addition, Mata had 73 of the Raiders’ 98 yards on the ground.

After starting the season with a losing streak, Harmony now prepares to continue a winning streak in the postseason, with a regional title at stake next week.

“At the beginning of two-a-days, (Jeremy Jenkins) told us that his goal was to win the region, so we’re just trying to live up to that goal,” Seahorn said.

“We stick through it, we fight through it thick and thin. We believe in each other and it’s got us this far, and we’re going to keep doing that.”

Game Info:

Start: Friday, December 2, 2022 at 7:00:00 PM

Home Team Name/Class/District/Division: Newton - 3A-12-2
Record: District Wins: 4, Overall Wins: 6, District Losses: 0, Overall Losses: 1

Visiting Team Name/Class/District/Division: Big Sandy Harmony- 3A-11-2
Record: Unknown
District Matchup: No

INSTRUCTIONS TO LIVE UPDATE THIS GAME ON THE SCOREBOARD: 
Type !!score: or !!: as your "command" then Visitor's Score/Home Score/Quarter

Example: !!score:10/14/4 would be 10 to 14 in the 4th quarter
!!:21/28/2 would be 21 to 28 in the 2nd quarter

Use h or H for halftime, and f or F for final
You may also use - , or | in place of /

Extras: Post the time left in the quarter as minutes/seconds.
Ex:7/0/1/13/25 = 7 to 0, 1st quarter, 13 minutes, 25 seconds left. 

Live Broadcast

1 hour ago, bd04 said:

!!36/22/4

It was actually 39 to 22. They forgot to add the points we got from kicking a field goal on 4th down. But all and all it was a great game, I was tense watching that game till the last 2 minute. I know what newton is capable of, I’ve been watching them since we made the playoffs. The game between us and newton was being talked about a lot. At first we thought we were going to lose, but as we got closer people started saying that this could be a close game if they played hard enough. I think what newton’s mistake was that they underestimated Harmony. Any team that makes it to the playoffs shouldn’t be underestimated. I hope Harmony at least makes it to the finals; it would be great to see us win state this year, especially since this is the first time we got past the second round. Good luck!

35 minutes ago, Crysis said:

It was actually 39 to 22. They forgot to add the points we got from kicking a field goal on 4th down. But all and all it was a great game, I was tense watching that game till the last 2 minute. I know what newton is capable of, I’ve been watching them since we made the playoffs. The game between us and newton was being talked about a lot. At first we thought we were going to lose, but as we got closer people started saying that this could be a close game if they played hard enough. I think what newton’s mistake was that they underestimated Harmony. Any team that makes it to the playoffs shouldn’t be underestimated. I hope Harmony at least makes it to the finals; it would be great to see us win state this year, especially since this is the first time we got past the second round. Good luck!

Congrats, go get yall one!

49 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I've seen this score posted on 3 different sites... included Newton Fakebook page

Yeah I know me too, but it was the people who was suppose to keep up with the scoreboard that forgot to add the extra 3. I don’t know if they missed it or what, but either way it was a great game.