Fort Bend Marshall (21) @ Crosby (27) FINAL

jdawg03

4 hours ago, kenny powers said:

Ding ding ding. FB marshall is not well coached.  

I really try to be as objective as possible when looking at these games in hindsight.  Its hard to do it in real time because it is an emotional game.

I just don't understand the tendency to diminish Crosby wins against good teams.  I get it.  Years of Crosby chatter and "THE JUNGLE!!!" stuff has poisoned the well so to speak.

And...now that it is the next day and I have processed the game a bit, FB had some unforced errors that would indicate it was an off night.  #1 was their primary target and he dropped a couple of passes when he was very open in the 4th quarter.

Coaches - This comment about the coaches is a stretch.  I don't know who those coaches are but:

• FB Marshall has been a good team for a while.
  • they tackle very well.
  • they are not penalized a lot and the penalties aren't coaching errors.
  • #4 in the state 5A-D2 division.

Hard to believe these things above can be accomplished with a "not well coached" team.

Luck - Luck is a thing.  And every game has some form of luck (they are usually wearing stripes on Friday nights...ahem).  It seems foolish to think Luck is the primary factor or pivot point in whether a team wins or loses. The argument really loses steam when Luck is the default factor when a team earns a win but mysteriously absent when they lose a well matched game.

The process to define winners and losers is described below:

1. Competition defines who is Better.
  2. Better Teams win.
  3. Crosby won last night because Crosby is a better team than FB Marshall.

All discussion after that is speculation.

37 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

I really try to be as objective as possible when looking at these games in hindsight.  Its hard to do it in real time because it is an emotional game.

I just don't understand the tendency to diminish Crosby wins against good teams.  I get it.  Years of Crosby chatter and "THE JUNGLE!!!" stuff has poisoned the well so to speak.

And...now that it is the next day and I have processed the game a bit, FB had some unforced errors that would indicate it was an off night.  #1 was their primary target and he dropped a couple of passes when he was very open in the 4th quarter.

Coaches - This comment about the coaches is a stretch.  I don't know who those coaches are but:

• they tackle very well.

Hard to believe these things above can be accomplished with a "not well coached" team.

Luck - Luck is a thing.  And every game has some form of luck (they are usually wearing stripes on Friday nights...ahem).  It seems foolish to think Luck is the primary factor or pivot point in whether a team wins or loses. The argument really loses steam when Luck is the default factor when a team earns a win but mysteriously absent when they lose a well matched game.

2. Better Teams win.

FBM’s primary target (#1) got rocked coming across the middle in the first half by a Crosby defender.  He got up, staggered sideways towards the sideline until the coaches helped him off the field, where he remained for a couple of series.  Kid probably should never have re-entered the game.  As you said, he dropped several passes in the 2nd half, maybe he was seeing three balls coming at him. 

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

I'm just curious, can that beautiful red helmet with the crawfish logo be changed to one with a crow on it?

For what? 14.2 was crawfishing making all kinds of excuses. Just because you lucked out and won doesn't mean it doesn't apply.  I never said they would lose, I just thought it was humorous 14.2 went from talking state to throwing the brakes on so quickly aka crawfishing. 

52 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

• they tackle very well.

2. Better Teams win.

Bro, I watched this same FBM staff run BH out of the stadium in the 1st qtr  last year only to let BH score 42 I think unanswered points when all they had to do was keep running the ball. The coaching staff takes huge mismatches and neutralizes them. One of the first plays of the game FBM broke through the line and it looked like that kid was in fast motion mode and BH was in quick sand. It should have a been a long night but they let BH play to their strengths and FBM totally did not play to theirs. That is coaching period. 

I disagree that Crosby won because they were the better team. FBM blew a td early, blew that TD late,  should have atleast had a FG and won in regulation. None of that had to do with anything Crosby did. #1 dropped way too many passes. 

FBM is ranked high everyyear because they have superior athletes and usually play a crappy schedule. They are getting exposed a bit this year when they play games where actual coaching and strategy come into play. 

Crosby kept it close enough to win so credit to them but to act like FBM didnt contribute to that in a big way is mind boggling.  Go ahead and change your logo to a cougar there falcon, you have to be a crosby sock.  Larkin is that you? 

Just getting here. I’m guessing folks that weren’t at the game didn’t see the big hit on Banks #1. He didn’t just all of sudden stop knowing how to catch a football he got knocked senseless in the first half. Probably concussed couldn’t find his way to the sideline. Good first win for Crosby. 
On the other hand  the jury is still out on Willians as a coach. Not a lot of penalties however he’s turrible in close games. Was severely out coached against BH last yr. He made similar mistakes last night. Mismanaged time and Timeouts  trouble getting plays in and lack of variety in play calling. They still should win their district and may even win the region . Only time will tell. 

FBM - great size and athleticism.  Who wouldn't want FBM's front seven on defense?  Tall DEs, some push at the DT level, and fast aggressive LBs.  Huge OL.

Crosby - great effort, took advantage of what was given, and coaches putting young inexperienced kids in the right spots to have a chance to make something good happen.  That comes from having a winning program.  Kids believe the coaches will give them a shot to make something happen.  Tough, gritty QB #10, and a defense that swarms the ball.  Crosby had much to do with FBM having an off night.

1 hour ago, kenny powers said:

For what? 14.2 was crawfishing making all kinds of excuses. Just because you lucked out and won doesn't mean it doesn't apply.  I never said they would lose, I just thought it was humorous 14.2 went from talking state to throwing the brakes on so quickly aka crawfishing. 

I’ve never talked about anything past Longview in the third round, don’t put words in my mouth guy. I didn’t crawfish on anything either. I said “it’s hard to get a good evaluation of the team with so many injuries”. You’re on here talking about this game like this is what we’re actually going to look like. We just beat FB Marshall at 65% strength. 

It’s always what somebody else did to lose to Crosby instead of what we did to win. How about if we have the starting DB over there on FBM’s first drive he doesn’t fall down in the end zone and actually catches the interception that would’ve been thrown right to him? What if on 3rd and 7 in crunch time we don’t have to go up top to the pitcher/backup qb and could actually throw to a receiver? 

What about Crosby having it down there near the red zone on 2nd and 3 about to go up 21-7 and instead of handing it off and keep pounding it we run some type of backwards pass and lose yards and eventually stall on the drive. How many time do we have to do the “Well, Crosby won but they really shouldn’t have” thing?

3 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Man I swear, Crosby is probably the only team on this board that doesn’t get judged on just wins and losses. We get judged on stuff like how badly we can beat state ranked opponents. 

I'm just wondering why Vidor folks have all this animosity towards Crosby. One would think they're bitter rivals like Desoto and Cedar Hill. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I'm just wondering why Vidor folks have all this animosity towards Crosby. One would think they're bitter rivals like Desoto and Cedar Hill. 

Vidor folks don’t have any animosity towards Crosby the team, just Crosby’s Garbage Dumpster who can bench press 400lbs with his mouth aka 14.2. Lol

2 hours ago, kenny powers said:

Bro, I watched this same FBM staff run BH out of the stadium in the 1st qtr  last year only to let BH score 42 I think unanswered points when all they had to do was keep running the ball. The coaching staff takes huge mismatches and neutralizes them. One of the first plays of the game FBM broke through the line and it looked like that kid was in fast motion mode and BH was in quick sand. It should have a been a long night but they let BH play to their strengths and FBM totally did not play to theirs. That is coaching period. 

I disagree that Crosby won because they were the better team. FBM blew a td early, blew that TD late,  should have atleast had a FG and won in regulation. None of that had to do with anything Crosby did. #1 dropped way too many passes. 

FBM is ranked high everyyear because they have superior athletes and usually play a crappy schedule. They are getting exposed a bit this year when they play games where actual coaching and strategy come into play. 

Crosby kept it close enough to win so credit to them but to act like FBM didnt contribute to that in a big way is mind boggling.  Go ahead and change your logo to a cougar there falcon, you have to be a crosby sock.  Larkin is that you? 

Not Larkin. But my son might have played in little league with him. 

Ifs and Buts. Like I said, speculation. 

They got this really cool thing that they do to decide who is better. It’s called a game. 

3 hours ago, CCRed said:

FBM’s primary target (#1) got rocked coming across the middle in the first half by a Crosby defender.  He got up, staggered sideways towards the sideline until the coaches helped him off the field, where he remained for a couple of series.  Kid probably should never have re-entered the game.  As you said, he dropped several passes in the 2nd half, maybe he was seeing three balls coming at him. 

Hope the young man is ok, but if seeing triple footballs coming your way, catch the one in the middle!

12 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You know how hard they’re going to play against us though, plus there’s going to be the referee thing. They have a solid young QB a couple fast young receivers that may be able to keep them in it for a while. 

I'm good with the refs, rumor is they spotted us a few last year lol. As for those receivers let's hope our safety can get to em if they are able to make a few plays.  I give Crosby the edge on this one.  

1 hour ago, #COUGAR08 said:

I'm good with the refs, rumor is they spotted us a few last year lol. As for those receivers let's hope our safety can get to em if they are able to make a few plays.  I give Crosby the edge on this one.  

I agree. We should be close to a full go by then and they may be down another receiving option. I think Brandt Wright is going to be a star in the secondary for Crosby over the next two seasons. I believe it was Ja’koby Banks he broke off of for the pick last week?

During the FBM game Crosby looked like they may starting to come together in the trenches on both sides of the ball. BH is ok on the offensive line but has some pretty good defensive linemen. I hate that we’re not going to get any practice for that this week.